Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Cael

Arcane
when you are "cute as something" you are in fact not that something

as you can plainly see, I am a proud member of the species Cavia porcellus
Which turns into Cavia meltus butterus when heated :D

Acrux

Arcane
speaking of which, do you know if any offspring of "fall from heaven 2" has been recently updated and where to get it?

Magister Mod, More Naval AI and Ashes of Erebus are the most up to date mods. Magister is supposed to have an update soon on CivFanatics.

Ashes of Erebus has their stable build hosted on CivFanatics, and instructions on how to get the most up to date SVN (with a lot more features). There's supposed to be a new drop any day now.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tried to play some multiplayer with a friend, desync central. With mods, without mods, me hosting, him hosting. Our connection is perfect otherwise.
Networking code seems to be getting worse and worse with every patch for Civ6, just like it did for Civ5. At least for the previous games it was consistently shit, so we never built up false optimism.
How do you even fuck up networking so bad in a TURN BASED GAME, when games like StarCraft or Counter Strike manage it fine, and MMORPGs have been a genre for decades?

Cael

Arcane
How do you even fuck up networking so bad in a TURN BASED GAME, when games like StarCraft or Counter Strike manage it fine, and MMORPGs have been a genre for decades?
Dev1: We should look into multiplayer.
Dev2: We need more inclooooooosiveness.
Dev3: Well, there is this mythical woman who supposedly ruled Rome...
Dev2: Great! Let's put her in as a real ruler!
Dev1: Umm, guys? Multiplayer?
Dev2: Shut up, you misogynist pig!

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Well, modern 4X games calculate AI shit while you are masturbating pretending to think your next move, so there is probably constant back and forth communication between various player computers so they can sync. And 4X games are far more complicated than simple RTS games.

Absinthe

Arcane
Tried to play some multiplayer with a friend, desync central. With mods, without mods, me hosting, him hosting. Our connection is perfect otherwise.
Networking code seems to be getting worse and worse with every patch for Civ6, just like it did for Civ5. At least for the previous games it was consistently shit, so we never built up false optimism.
Because peer-2-peer hosting is the future now, according to whatever bullshit fad is infesting some corner of software development. The only problem is that it fucks with latency and massively increases your odds of desync and netsplit, but who cares about that? It's time to do things the modern way!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CIVILIZATION Celebrates Black History Month

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/289070/view/3132820824668193402

This update had a fun thread until it got locked. Lots of hilarious posts have already been deleted, and I'm guessing the rest will be soon.

Lots of "we wuz kangs" were on the first page yesterday. Now, all that's left is people complaining they waited until the last day of February, so they're not woke enough.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/eventcomments/3185738591084873893?snr=1_2108_9__2107

I assume these will be deleted soon:
Black people contributed nothing to civilization rofl

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!

Stop with all the politically correct games bs. Was gonna purchase game, now its a hard pass!

I absolutely agree that Virtue Signalling should be a condition for Cultural victory in CIV.

There were pages and pages of this, but comments are being removed very quickly. Looks like about 50 were deleted just in the last 10 minutes.

It's the first thread I've ever seen on Steam disappearing faster than I can read it. I'll click "next page" and the last page will change from 30 to 26, then to 24 next time, etc. Soon, people will see the thread and think everyone agrees it's a good idea.

"each of our five leaders"
not much of a celebration if your leading point is that you only have five black leaders
It's funny to me that they are keeping all the posts that show that these people are never satisfied and shouldn't be your target audience.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
CIVILIZATION Celebrates Black History Month

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/289070/view/3132820824668193402

This update had a fun thread until it got locked. Lots of hilarious posts have already been deleted, and I'm guessing the rest will be soon.

Lots of "we wuz kangs" were on the first page yesterday. Now, all that's left is people complaining they waited until the last day of February, so they're not woke enough.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/eventcomments/3185738591084873893?snr=1_2108_9__2107

I assume these will be deleted soon:
Black people contributed nothing to civilization rofl

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!

Stop with all the politically correct games bs. Was gonna purchase game, now its a hard pass!

I absolutely agree that Virtue Signalling should be a condition for Cultural victory in CIV.

There were pages and pages of this, but comments are being removed very quickly. Looks like about 50 were deleted just in the last 10 minutes.

It's the first thread I've ever seen on Steam disappearing faster than I can read it. I'll click "next page" and the last page will change from 30 to 26, then to 24 next time, etc. Soon, people will see the thread and think everyone agrees it's a good idea.

"each of our five leaders"
not much of a celebration if your leading point is that you only have five black leaders
It's funny to me that they are keeping all the posts that show that these people are never satisfied and shouldn't be your target audience.

The lineup they picked is:
>guy who christianized west africa (congo basin)
>guy who fought off jihads and christianized east africa
>lady who liberated egypt for a bit
>guy who islamized west africa (slave coast)
>guy who conquered his way from west africa to south africa
So they are notable characters, or at least had notable shit go down during their reign.
But wasn't KWAN month February? Why is this out on March 1st? Late is not better than never in this case, if they hadn't done anything there'd be less backlash than doing it wrong.
Also is there an actual game update to go along with this marketing stunt? That would've also helped sell it to the "no politics in muh video games" crowd. Just a bad move all over.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also is there an actual game update to go along with this marketing stunt?
Doesn't seem like it. It's just some art, I think, that's not even in-game. It's just "look at this picture."

Oh, damn, they aren't opening the thread again. It was culled from 440 posts this morning down to 202 and permanently locked.

Gerrard

Arcane
The contribution of black people to history is that you can go to Africa and see how people used to live thousands of years ago.

Absinthe

Arcane
Seems like the major source of forum rage is that they are more interested in pandering with virtue signalling than bugfixing or addressing gameplay issues. Looks like the netcode is still trash too.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
The disappointing part is just that they don't seem to be learning animals, but maybe when Civ VII rolls around they will finally stop putting bottom feeders like these in charge. Beyond Earth was a disaster and Civ VI underperformed significantly iirc.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Civilization 6 is by far the most popular 4x game on Steam, so they probably made plenty of money despite all these flaws.

It's the players who are not learning animals.

Absinthe

Arcane
IIRC there have been significant periods where it was outperformed by Civ V.

Civ VI was released in October of 2016. From December 2016 to January 2018, Civ V had a higher concurrent player count than Civ VI. From March 2018 to October 2018, Civ V once again overtook Civ VI in player count. After that Civ VI overtook it. Basically for two full years after Civ VI was released, people preferred sticking to Civ V over playing Civ VI.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
I wonder if the same could be said during the transition from Civ IV to Civ V, though. Regardless of the games' flaws and merits, it seems plausible that many players (smartly) wait for the inevitable expansions and sales before crossing over into the NEXT-GENZ title.

On an unrelated tangent, I will never forgive the company handling the Android port for abandoning the game when they had just one last update to do to give it full feature parity with the PC version. Not buying anything with Aspyr on it anymore unless they come out with feature-complete products right out of the gate.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hard to say. The Steam charts don't go back that far and Civ IV had the good sense to not be a Steam-mandatory release (unlike Civ V, Beyond Earth, and Civ VI).

All I can say is that Civ: BE was an abysmal failure, and that Civ VI underperformed significantly.

Last edited:

civac2

Novice
I really doubt Civ6 underperformed if you take into account all expansions and DLCs. Quite the opposite.

From a gameplay perspective, Civ6 is a solid game beneath the flaws and bugs. Far better than Civ5 certainly though that's a low bar. A lot of the mechanics are quite odd but ultimately work OK. If you play MP or are satisfied with a very varied sandbox one could even argue it's a pretty good game. The two black marks against it are the passive, braindead AI and a host of unresolved bugs up to and including crashes and hangups.

Absinthe

Arcane
Honestly, Civ V and Civ VI both have brain-dead AI, and whatever the fuck a "very varied sandbox" is supposed to mean (basically playing by yourself because the AI is nonexistent?) it sounds like a shit game with no challenge.

Multiplayer is the only thing that makes either game playable, but I'm not convinced Civ VI is really doing better. Civ VI's approach to Social Policies seems like a step backward, for one.

civac2

Novice
There is just a huge amount of stuff you can do in Civ6. It's a paradise for casuals. There are thousands of people dicking around with all the factions and weird mechanics and religions and whatnot. Some of them would prefer a better AI but tons more play on Prince anyway. It's not for me either but Civ6 is the most popular 4x by far at least according to Steam numbers.

The core mechanics of the game though odd also work decently that's why it's a good MP game.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Honestly, Civ V and Civ VI both have brain-dead AI
V with the vox mod is not bad.Vanilla is certainly miles better then vanilla VI.
Vi on the other hand,has the real strategy mod.It only brings the AI up to vanilla Civ V level though,which is not very good.
and whatever the fuck a "very varied sandbox" is supposed to mean
I think the modern terminology is simcitying. Mostly just building shit without worrying about the AI.
But even that is a weird comparison considering city builders do have enemies in the form of various systems designed to cause you trouble.
Here,there is only happiness which was only somewhat "troublesome" in V.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom