Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 5

Mortmal

Arcane
Kobolds have cool abilities, you use a red caster spamming fire spells your red kobolds are mostly immune, same for green kobolds and poisons s. You get large armies who turns out rather powerful in the end . But theere's better and the fact you cant control the dragons make it lackluster, those are good but not on par with a demon lord type of unit who can be controlled.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Played a Cloud Lord game. Pretty fun. Flying around ignoring terrain is very liberating and can go 'see ya losers' and fly up into the sky when you feel like it. You can bully the poor AI relentlessly by capping his mines with flying raid squads he can never catch. Troops are good but have a gem cost, especially the elites. Magic weapons on most troops is very useful in certain matchups. Flying troops allow you to take fortifications early and easily. Late game is just air warlock - amass a bunch of air artillery, get some air queens and nuke everything into oblivion. But you ramp up much faster than a warlock since you can alchemize all the other gems into air gems.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Kobolds have cool abilities, you use a red caster spamming fire spells your red kobolds are mostly immune, same for green kobolds and poisons s. You get large armies who turns out rather powerful in the end . But theere's better and the fact you cant control the dragons make it lackluster, those are good but not on par with a demon lord type of unit who can be controlled.
Yea like I said, I enjoyed their unit variety. The drakes or whatever you want to call them were pretty cool. I didn't have any red kobolds so I have no idea what their units are like, but I started out as poison and they were neat. Especially the archers who get to spit poison and shoot with a bow. Think they are going to give other basic ranged units a run for their money. Nice spell casters and they all seem to have buffs to give resistance against their damage type so you can mix and match kobold colors with less fear of them just obliterating each other. I just think that their lack of interesting rituals and how wildly AI dependent the dragons are doesn't really lead to a fun long term campaign with this class. Add salt to the injury if an enemy manages to kill one of your dragons they will get access to some powerful artifacts as they each come with two really good ones, or at least the dragons I summoned all did.

Humanophage

Arcane
Played a Cloud Lord game. Pretty fun. Flying around ignoring terrain is very liberating and can go 'see ya losers' and fly up into the sky when you feel like it. You can bully the poor AI relentlessly by capping his mines with flying raid squads he can never catch. Troops are good but have a gem cost, especially the elites. Magic weapons on most troops is very useful in certain matchups. Flying troops allow you to take fortifications early and easily. Late game is just air warlock - amass a bunch of air artillery, get some air queens and nuke everything into oblivion. But you ramp up much faster than a warlock since you can alchemize all the other gems into air gems.
Cloud lords seem to shine in team games in MP. They have trashy basic units and an indefensible fortress, but this can be compensated with a starting partner who will cap some mines for you. Also they benefit from large sparsely populated maps. I usually played on Medium maps in SP with 6-7 AIs, which is really not conducive to a cloud lord because he can get wiped out early. On the other hand, I had an MP game where the enemy cloud lord could amass a lot of mist warriors because his partner ceded the mines, and then easily eliminated a much larger army with many golems and advanced priestess summons.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragons mostly sit on their asses in the mines and sometimes fly out to clear out nearby locations or roaming units. So they're bad to have deep in your territory because they have no good targets, but very good in contested locations because they will defend your new hatchery and help to take over everything else.

if an enemy manages to kill one of your dragons they will get access to some powerful artifacts as they each come with two really good ones, or at least the dragons I summoned all did.
You can take the items from the dragon when it's alive.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I look at the dragons mostly as flavor honestly. No one mentioned their best point which is that they significantly increase the chance of recruiting kobold spellcasters.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I was really disappointed in the cloud lord faction, and I thought their only good point was the flying units. That was until I summoned the frost giants and holy shit they are one of the tankiest units I have seen in the game. For 100 gems you get an army of giants that can beat the shit out of any dragon.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
All things said and done, I think the Druid class is my favorite one. I'm still not entirely sure who they are supposed to counter (apart from the obviously weaker classes that the other stronger classes have an easier time against), but their rituals, units and combat spells please me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So... what is the deal with Aztlan? The villages and resources there vanish whenever I conquer them, like in Hades.

I can understand the ghost farms, and the night realm in Aztlan as well, but the fact that all six realms hold no value to me is kinda shitty tbh.

Do I need a necromengele or what?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can understand the ghost farms, and the night realm in Aztlan as well, but the fact that all six realms hold no value to me is kinda shitty tbh.
That's one of my biggest gripes with the game.

These other realms... exist. And that's it.
They don't really do anything, unless some event happens, a portal is opened and they steamroll everyone. Which is usually a game ender if it happens next to you as I never had that happen so late that I could've been prepared for it.
Except for the clouds, which you can go to early already. But they don't really provide anything unique as far as I can tell. Though I guess they do enable you to build a safe retreat as you only need to hold one location to deny entry.

I guess you could just go to these other realms (if you find a scroll) for shits and giggles when you are mostly done with the game and see how long you can last against the "natives" (will mostly depend on your class I imagine).

It just seems to be a waste of potential.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, there are SOME things you can do, like make the summers longer (lol) or become the bizarro emperor as a senator. That is kinda step in the right direction.

But it takes a LOT of time to get to that position, and by then the game is probably already over. Not really worth it. Get 20 more gold by wiping out the entire celestial plane, or find 20 tiles worth of underground farms by digging down once.

Not sure how I would balance this, TBH. Any radical effects from planar conquest would be impossible to react to. Even if you knew where the portal was. And AI wouldn't be able to react to it.

I have a game running on a small map, with very lucky portals for a near-direct route to nexus. It still takes ingame years to get armies to the planes. And that is with the routes scouted and secured.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hades is very lucrative for Necromancers since you can just swap places with the Prince of Death and steal the capitol of that plane. You get some sweet resources, access to a level 3 lib and a safe capitol and all you have to do is simply find it. You don't even need an army to fight for it; you can do it with a single Necromancer unit with the planar swap spell. The bonus is that the Prince of Death is set upon Elysium and whereas he's normally immobile in Hades he'll wander around Elysium wreaking havoc.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Yeah, and meanwhile Hades is completely worthless to anyone else. So there will never be real competition for it, unless you have two necro game.

Does the AI necro even enter Hades at all?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Other planes should have good strong guaranteed sites (lvl3 libraries come to mind) and maybe some artifacts to make it worthwhile. Or sites of power.

As it is the main joy is reading descriptions and having a chuckle.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Do you know the characteristics of a lvl 4 spellcaster?
Same as a lvl 3 with an extra cast per spell and an extra spell memorized.

I had a senator game where I failed to take the haunted capitolium which had a demilich that had the battlefield wide life drain spell and accidentally donated the necro +1 item to him. All subsequent attempts to kill him were complete failures, no matter how many mages with anti-undead spells I threw at him.

Humanophage

Arcane
What settings are people usually playing on? These days, I mostly play on Medium map, 4 random opponents (no overlap), Emperor, default neutrals (otherwise they'd wipe the poor AI).

These other realms... exist. And that's it.
Hell can be quite useful if you're playing for a gem class. The AI seems reluctant to ever use the hell scrolls. You can send a moderately strong army with a couple of leaders to hell, provided that it can do summoning. You then capture all the mines at your leisure. This way, you end up having a huge safe source of gems in mid-game (rubies seem more common).

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Taking the temple district can be nastier than taking the capital. That mass convert spell the Cardinal uses is pretty bananas if your army is humanoid. Ended up having half my own spellcasters turn on me too.

That was a funny run actually. My emperor got blinded by not-Gandalf. Was funny ascending him to become God Emperor (his renata wife too, who eventually proved much more useful).

This is a much bigger leap forward for the series than 3->4 was. Almost feel guilty torrenting for the amount of fun I've had. AI feels a tad more clever too.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
sNS18i7.jpg

XzwrnCm.png

rezaf

Cipher
Which Conquests of Elysium game is best?

I respectfully disagree with Hobo Elf.

Currently, I prefer 4 to 5, and there's still some things that were better in 3.

My main gripe with 5 is that the AI appears to be even more braindead than before - I wouldn't have thought this was possible. And what I mean is mostly the part where it should not leave it's capital unprotected in the very early game and where it should be less keen on suiciding it's last leader in general.

Besides that, I like many of the changes in 5 on paper, but they sometimes have unfortunate side effects. For example, everyone gets human recruits now, which undermines part of what made classes distinctive. Like, one big downside of the Druid used to be his lack of access to siege engines - he only had a chance to summon rocs. Now he can get catapults.

Also,some of my biggest gripes with 4 remained unresolved. Apart from the aforementioned AI, the recently discussed pointlessness of the planes comes to mind, but also the unhinged snowball effect with several factions, the doomsday game events you cannot even toggle (though they seem to be much rarer now), amongst some other things.

I like some of the improvements, especially the slightly improved graphics and qol additions, but in the dozen or so games I played so far ... somehow they were less fun than they used to be .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom