Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Skyrim is getting The Most Definitive Re-re-re-release once again at 11.11.2021

Radiane

Cipher
every country gets the game developers it deserves

Quillon

Arcane

WTF, Codex loves Vaush now!

I like listening people bash certain games... but then the fucking dude comes out and says the outer worlds is good
rating_rage.gif

Oracsbox

Apparently this Anniversary Skyrim is getting a next-gen upgrade !
I find this difficult to believe, have they really made new textures, improved lighting and whatever else is needed?
I'd be surprised if they'd expend the effort, especially as the upgrade is free, and most people already mod it to look better, even on consoles.
Obviously they've done something to make Skyrim look different, otherwise they wouldn't say it..but what?

Last edited by a moderator:

mkultra

Augur
Apparently this Anniversary Skyrim is getting a next-gen upgrade !
I find this difficult to believe, have they really made new textures, improved lighting and whatever else is needed?
I'd be surprised if they'd expend the effort, especially as the upgrade is free, and most people already mod it to look better, even on consoles.
Obviously they've done something to make Skyrim look different, otherwise they wouldn't say it..but what?

The upgrade is free, but not everyone has the game, new buyers will always be a thing since yes, the production of people hasn't stopped ;)

This engine is most likely in production almost constantly since they're still using it for other games, so yes they can probably put in some of that tech they've worked on. Higher res textures, they already did that for the last update, but it can be expanded upon a bit i guess + some new shaders (similar to ENB) was already done and better rendering of LOD's/trees, it's also a bit more fluid than the first revision of the game - this can always get even better since it's not perfect.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this update will look like Unreal 5 though... "next gen update" means 4K, 60FPS, faster loading, perhaps some better shaders.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Maybe they could get all single player TESOnline campaings and make it Offline mode.
One of the DLCs, Greymoor, takes place in the western part of Skyrim (the areas around Solitude and Morthal, with Markarth + lands being extra DLC) with the base game taking palce in the eastern part with Riften and Windhelm. So after buying bits of Skyrim again in ESO with options for more, now you also want to buy Skyrim yet again?

I see you there, Todd.

Daithos

Literate
A new release of Skyrim, a new round of required mod upgrades. Is there a list out there of the supposed 500 mods included? It took forever for me to get Flower Girls to work right and I finally got my dong how I wanted it. Not looking forward to doing it again.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Wunderbar

Arcane
Skyrim remains to this day the worst disgrace in gaming.
Nope, that award belongs to Mass Effect 2.

Diablo 3, really.

The people I just quoted here are the reason for the existence of my sig.

ME2 and Diablo 3 were major creative disappointments, but they weren't... ...industrial algorithmic garbage by design.
they absolutely were.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Don't forget Skyrim is one of the worst coded games of all time. Skyrim was unplayable at launch, it uses old code with many bad optimizations, you still can't fix z-fighting, Skyrim could use only 1 CPU core initially, etc.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This is yet another "remaster" for the latest console generation, which everyone seems to be doing these days.

Nothing more, nothing less.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yet another manifestation of Bethesda's perspectival obsession, the enticing warmth of vaulted cavernous matrices, each an enclosed microcosm of an eternal return in cyclical form like the breaths of Brahma or the last page of Finnegans Wake. Maternal dungeon complexes so simple that one is grateful for Petrarch's ascent of Mount Ventoux leading us out of the undifferentiated era yet, paradoxically signaling the birth of the Renaissance and the assumed dignity of man. Skyrim when measured against even Daggerfall is ultimately the flat, 2D in-profile perspective of the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans, before man realized space and spatiality, beyond the base vaginal caves and phallic obelisks and columns when the artist, with Augustine's de Civitate Dei suddenly called to mind, gazed out from the mountain top and concretized spatiality. We could be beyond landscapes by now, the concretizing of space and of time, but are held back, the dawning of Gebser's aperspectival world is stayed by ambitions of seeing that mountain over there, and knowing that one can climb it. That mountain was already climbed almost 700 years ago. Sixteen times the detail? Over a hundred different endings? Crawling through dungeon after dungeon while chasing shadows cast by fires at our backs is what Todd calls progress. Naturally he has turned to space as his swan song, the precedented, paralleled Starfield, and fate mocks his obliviousness.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"Precedented, paralleled" is an excellent way of describing Bethesda.
Thank you. I actually laughed out loud back when I heard Starfield was confirmed, and the E3 performance had me in tears from hilarity, yet wracked with torturous fremdschämen (do we still not have an English word for this?). That company is an enigma, but of an undeserved, autonomous kind. They insult their fans while pretending to be laughing with them ("I read on the internet that our games have had a few bugs"), openly acknowledge with enthusiasm that they have zero regard for the integrity of their series lore ("It doesn't really fit what I want do, I want to change the lore, so I'm like, I asked Todd, I'm like 'Hey, can I make changes?' and he said 'yea, just go ahead, go nuts' and I'm like 'ok, great'" - Emil Pagliarulo referring to the 'fiction' of the Dark Brotherhood in Morrowind), and with absolutely no shame whatsoever sell shoddy merchandise by false advertising, sue anybody they can for any possible reason, actually indulged the paid mods scheme, and people will still defend them and their games with righteousness. They have been derivative opportunists since the beginning who by some odd whim of Fate consigned a handful of brilliant writers and designers who didn't stick around for too long. The whole background story with Zenimax is fascinating, I wish Herzog could have made a documentary about them before their idol Robert Altman died.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What happened with Zenimax?
I was mainly referring to the way in which Robert Altman got the original founder of Bethesda (Christopher Weaver, with whom he co-founded Zenimax itself) fired from his own company, the consequent suit and countersuits, and his background of involvement with the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) which ended in a settlement that required his being permanently banned from banking. The BCCI regularly provided banking services for drug cartels, terrorists, dictators, and very likely human traffickers, basically the black market, silenced people, paid off officials, &c. The BCCI auditor discovered what he described as "probably one of the most complex deceptions in banking history". This information is publicly available - just imagine what we don't know? His swan song was certainly the sale to Microsoft, and the little eulogy Todd shared when he died earlier this year was classic, acting like the guy was a hero.

Caim

Arcane

It always warms my cold empty heart a little knowing that mexican chick got famous enough from that, to be hired to record bard songs for ESO. And since ESO is not a terrible game, she can even tell people about it without being ashamed.
:hero:

Also she's married and a mom now. What have you achieved in your life since Skyrim released?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom