Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I actually started using different armors, messing around with stuff and solutions and such with a pistol fighter, and HOLY FUCK the Fetid Marshes and huge chunks of Expedition became a NOTHING after using the Chemical Assault Armor and Biohazard Boots.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually started using different armors, messing around with stuff and solutions and such with a pistol fighter, and HOLY FUCK the Fetid Marshes and huge chunks of Expedition became a NOTHING after using the Chemical Assault Armor and Biohazard Boots.
I went through them on Dominating with Tungsten Metal Armor on my Psi Sledgehammer Build and it was honestly a fun location. Perhaps this whole time, Styg has wanted to encourage using various different armors throughout one playthrough, to adept to your enemies. Maybe he was right all along...

EDIT: But there is one fight where you aggro like 6-10 Sea Wyrms all at once on Dominating which is just fucking ridiculous, like come on Styg.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Frigid Environment debuff will now be able to reduce from 100% resistance as well

Does it mean debuff will hit @ even with 100% cold res? Cause before 100% cold res provided immunity in Ice Tower.

Does it mean debuff will hit @ even with 100% cold res? Cause before 100% cold res provided immunity in Ice Tower.
Just tested, and yes, the debuff pierces it now. Better put aluminium cloth on and bring a whole lot of molotovs to hit yourself with from now on.

Sykar

Arcane
I have started a TC/PK build on DOM. This is my 2nd effort at a psi build with the new system (the first one was TC/TM). While I prefer the new psi system to the old one, here are some suggestions that I believe would improve it.

- Introduce a feat that increases psi slots. If the developers would rather not increase psi slots for psi support builds, the feat could have a minimum requirement of Will 8 (and maybe INT 8 too).

- I believe that psi inhalants should be usable in combat. If the developers are with two minds over this, maybe they can make them usable in combat with a huge AP price (40-50 AP), so that there will still be reason to use a psi booster instead, depending on the situation.

- There is the issue with Neurology and the Psi Circuit Extension mod losing their bonus when momentarily replacing the psi headband with something else. Psi builds do a lot of headband replacing, be it for trap detection or stealth. This is downright annoying, and it has made me avoid psi extensions and the Neurology feat. I believe the bonus should return when the headband is put back.

Anything you can do now you could do previously with far less braindead tedium. I can see the need to have an extra money sink but that could have been achieved via more expensive PSI boosters with an added rare/expensive ingredient to craft.
All this update to PSI did was make it even more brain dead and make niche PSI abilities completely and utterly worthless even for single school PSI builds like Neurovisual Disruption. It now boils down to choose two schools, supplement with grenades, still breezing through the game even more brain dead than before, in fact crafted grenades are more OP than PSI overall just more expensive.

Trashos

Arcane
Well, yeah, it is more tedious to do what we were doing in the old system, because the new system wants us to treat psi builds differently. It is geared towards 1-2 school builds now.

I totally disagree that the new system is braindead, I find it smarter now. Eg, when you have to deal with all the situations with just one school, you have to get more creative. You do not have to use grenades when you have at least 2 schools, if you were not using them before.

The costs are more in line with the rest of the builds now, so generally that's a good thing.

All that said, it is obvious from my post above that I do not agree with all the details of the new system. My two biggest disagreements are probably the psi circuit extension/neurology bonuses disappearing (it is too annoying in practice for any balancing discussion to be relevant), and the number of spell slots for full psi builds.

Trashos

Arcane
What do you chemical pistoleros do to avoid your own acid puddles?

I am thinking:
- Sure Step. But if you are an SI build you will probably want to use caltrops for manipulating your health.
- Gear. Infused mutuated dog leather comes along later in the game. If you are a glass cannon, do simple mutated leather tabis cut it?

Am I missing anything?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

I am thinking:
- Sure Step. But if you are an SI build you will probably want to use caltrops for manipulating your health.
- Gear. Infused mutuated dog leather comes along later in the game. If you are a glass cannon, do simple mutated leather tabis cut it?

Am I missing anything?

It's sort of difficult choice for me - on the other hand Sure Step is very convenient, on the other - it's a feat you spent, which you could change with gear later. Like, eeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Btw what kind of build you use? I recommend Versatility one.

Trashos

Arcane
I am playing TC/PK right now (it rocks, naturally). I am considering chemical pistols for my next one. Not sure I will enjoy it, I just want to try it. Yes, definitely Versatility. Probably SI. I do not know how to handle the puddles before the relevant gear appears. I might go Sure Step and also take Last Stand for going under 30% health. But that's 2 feats.

Tigranes

Arcane

I am thinking:

Am I missing anything?

Nothing. My chemolero only ever walks backwards, leaving an ever growing trail of horse worms on the ground. After the battle concludes, he stands exactly still and takes a cigar break.

(It's never really been a massive problem for me because even on dom a chemolero just burns through everything pretty quick. The primary source of reloads is when the battle ends and I click on the loot)

It's a very enjoyable build, there's something cathartic about crafting a chemgun at level 6 and blasting into Depot A with it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I ran a hybrid Crossbowman+chemgun build (acid entanglement + deadly snares), and was using sure step to avoid getting burned by puddles.

Trashos

Arcane
After tinkering with the Character Builder for a good 2-3 hrs, I still don't know what the fuck I am doing with this build. At least I decided that I am ditching SI, and I am going to work with Ambush and Caltrops (Sure Step) instead. I have never worked seriously with Ambush or Caltrops, so it is going to be exciting to try a new style (up until I decide that my build sucks).

So my first try at a Chemical build is going to look like this:
STR3 DEX10++ AG7 CON3 PE6 WILL3 INT8
I had one ability point too much and I put it in INT for the skill points.
PE6 for Ambush, AG7 for the naval feats (but it could be no less than 5 due to Sure Step).

FEATS: Pack Rat, Versatility, Sure Step, Grenadier, Opportunist, Cooked Shot, PT Acceleration, Ambush, Mad Chemist, Escape Artist, Blindsiding, DEX+2, and the rest may be Quick Pockets, Sprint, Nimble, Future Orientation. I have not decided on the order exactly yet.
It is a very difficult build to design with confidence before experiencing it, and I have no doubt that my 2nd try is going to look different.

Sheepherder

Augur
Trashos If you're making a Versatility chem pistol build, consider Fatal Throw. Since you already have 18 DEX, Throwing Knife AP cost will be reduced to 10 AP. If you spec Fatal Throw, you'll be able to gain an extra 17 AP each turn. Chem Pistols cost 10 AP to fire at 18 DEX and with the belt, so that's an extra shot.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

I am thinking:

Am I missing anything?

It's sort of difficult choice for me - on the other hand Sure Step is very convenient, on the other - it's a feat you spent, which you could change with gear later. Like, eeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Btw what kind of build you use? I recommend Versatility one.
I hate Sure Step feat. It is very useful and you can trow caltrops around like no tomorrow and still wear the shoes of your choosing.
But on the other side, it eats valuable feat spot and you can get immunity to caltrops with metal boots.
So, it tempts you with it usefulness but then mocks you with taking over other, more unique feat.
Thus, I never take it.

Trashos

Arcane
consider Fatal Throw

Interesting. I had never noticed the specialization.
How much Throwing do I need on DOM for the throwing knives to hit? I was planning to invest in Throwing just enough to get 5 effective points/level.

Zeem

Learned
consider Fatal Throw

How much Throwing do I need on DOM for the throwing knives to hit? I was planning to invest in Throwing just enough to get 5 effective points/level.
IIRC throwing knives follow the same CtH calculation algorithm as other ranged weapons, so you want to pump it every level like you would with your main skill, or kill target's evasion before slinging your toothpicks. On top of that throwing knife damage also scales with effective skill, so if you want to punch through armor you better keep your throwing arm trained.

Sheepherder

Augur
consider Fatal Throw

Since acid pistols entangle often, you'll mostly be throwing t.knives at enemies with 0 evasion, so accuracy isn't an issue. But I'd still max it out for more damage.
Also, in general, if you're getting throwing for grenades, you want 123 effective for 90% accuracy at a max range without moving. You can also get it to 90-ish effective for max accuracy at min distance (distance where you're riiiight outside of AoE).

A while ago I played a SI Versatility Chem Pistol build. If you want, I can post it if you wanna see one of the ways of building it.

Trashos

Arcane
Sheepherder, I watch your vids on youtube. But post it if you want so that others watch it too.
I have decided that it is a good opportunity to try Ambush this time. If Ambush disappoints me and I change it to SI, I will do something like yours (but with AG5 instead of STR5 for Sure Step).

Add Dirty Kick...

I will have a taser, so hopefully I am set. But I will have it in the back of my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom