Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I might just, Desiderius forgive me, play on a lower difficulty and up it on subsequent playthroughs. :M

From my experience this is an issue due to the low level of the chars, the difficulty gets lower, relatively speaking as soon as you have decent abilities to use. Otherwise though I do not think it shameful, in the least, if difficulty is lowered. Fun is always worth more than gamer cred.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I'm still trying to finish the defense on that tavern in Ch. 1 on Core difficulty and it's a bitch when aiming for all the defenses to be kept intact from those arsonists. Respecced 4 of my party members into ranged combat and I'm using grease on enemy chokepoints and it's still a bitch.

On core?

Three Grease + Marching Terror FTW. Ember spamming Slumber, Lann Pumping lead. If you hit Tower first you can hit level five beforehand.
I haven't recruited neither Ember (yet) nor Lann.

If in need recruit some mercs. There are actually only 3 points of interest to defend, the most important the left entrance (looking from Irabeth perspective) grease and focus fire the Arsonsists.

It's basically only three waves and the battle ends when you beat the Minotaur.
You have to beat the Minotaur and all the Arsonists, I believe. I still had one Arsonist knocked out by Slumber after killing the Minotaur and the fight didn't end until he was gone.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I might just, Desiderius forgive me, play on a lower difficulty and up it on subsequent playthroughs. :M

From my experience this is an issue due to the low level of the chars, the difficulty gets lower, relatively speaking as soon as you have decent abilities to use. Otherwise though I do not think it shameful, in the least, if difficulty is lowered. Fun is always worth more than gamer cred.

Certain fights remain mostly RNG based even later on unless you already know what you'll be facing. Typical Owlcat design problem: You HAVE to have foreknowledge to effectively counter whatever shitfight they came up with.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You have to beat the Minotaur and all the Arsonists, I believe. I still had one Arsonist knocked out by Slumber after killing the Minotaur and the fight didn't end until he was gone.
I think I commented on this in the beta as well. There is only ONE RPG that got away with infinite spawns, and that's P:T. And even there, it's awkward. Unless you're aiming for a better RPG than P:T don't do infinite spawns.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey, cool ! An amulet of Agile Fists ! I'll give it to Camellia, that should really boost her dam... FUCK !

Okay, fine. Woljif, you take it. Maybe it'll even combine with your otherwise useless Double Slice feat.

It's not useless. It works with DEX-to-dam like it did with Maegar in Varnhold. They don't fuck that kind of shit up. Designers take a personal interest in Companion builds. Everything has a use.

Vatnik Wumao
By the way, do Lann and Wenduag have companion quests? Tempted to not recruit either of them, but don't want to lock myself out of content.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
- There are so many bugs. SOOOOOOOOOO many bugs.
It's funny how when someone who's critical of the game says this, LannTheStupid et al come out of the woodworks to demand proof. But when it's one of their own beta players, no one challenges it. :M

Now, I haven't been following this thread because I have actually being playing the game in my spare time. Is it worth me reading over these past 164 pages to see what has been said, or should I just start my next playthrough?
Nope. I and a few others have been complaining, mostly about the bad writing. Fanboys have been defending, as they do. If you enjoy it, keep enjoying it, I say.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Certain fights remain mostly RNG based even later on unless you already know what you'll be facing. Typical Owlcat design problem: You HAVE to have foreknowledge to effectively counter whatever shitfight they came up with.
Isn't that most IE games though? The challenge is in spreading yourself thin enough to be prepared for almost everything, and thanks to skills like Scroll Scribing/Potion Brewing and having a few spontaneous caster companion choices, you can generally be pretty prepared for anything the game might throw at you.

Mind you I'm only lv13 and about to enter Ivory Sanctum, so I'm still quite some ways off of the later parts of the game, but so far I could deal with most shit by having a few Rank 5/6 spells prepared as potions and scrolls. Buying scroll and potion sets early instead of item upgrades that would ultimately only result in a +1 attack/damage roll was certainly worth the investment.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Isn't that most IE games though? The challenge is in spreading yourself thin enough to be prepared for almost everything, and thanks to skills like Scroll Scribing/Potion Brewing and having a few spontaneous caster companion choices, you can generally be pretty prepared for anything the game might throw at you.

Mind you I'm only lv13 and about to enter Ivory Sanctum, so I'm still quite some ways off of the later parts of the game, but so far I could deal with most shit by having a few Rank 5/6 spells prepared as potions and scrolls. Buying scroll and potion sets early instead of item upgrades that would ultimately only result in a +1 attack/damage roll was certainly worth the investment.

Gray Bastion is a good example of what I mean: There are multiple fights in there where you open a door and get bombs/fireballs/insects swarms to the face. You can't defend against this unless you know it is coming OR you have stocked up on fire protection beforehand. Or not at all in the case of swarms and bombs.

Of course once you get more options to cheese fights the game becomes easier but even then some of the fights remain overtuned. Ivory Sanctum is a good example since the swarm guy just facerolls groups - Although admittedly because swarms were horribly bugged.

Takamori

Learned
Yes. Much better

Regill-test-2.png
They really need to do his in game model better. You have this bulky gnome and the in game model looks like a gnome with terminal cancer and aids.

Regill is so good that I'm planning to do a Hellknight playthrough after my inquisitor of Cayden Cailean. Also one thing that I don't understand is his alignment Lawful Evil, he is more Lawful Neutral than anything.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Isn't that most IE games though?
No. You can solo IE games. Maybe at level 1 or 2 it could come down to RNG, but once you get even the barest assortment of items or party members, you should be able to handle yourself.

Encounters were level scaled and content was gated so that you'd never face an impossible challenge, and you could choose to outright avoid a fair few. Even in BG2, the fight with Firkraag was optional and you could return later to finish it.

If you died often, it was probably because you were just window-selecting your party and clicking attack over and over - which you can still probably win most fights in any IE game with.

Sunri

Liturgist

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Isn't that most IE games though?
No. You can solo IE games. Maybe at level 1 or 2 it could come down to RNG, but once you get even the barest assortment of items or party members, you should be able to handle yourself.

Encounters were level scaled and content was gated so that you'd never face an impossible challenge, and you could choose to outright avoid a fair few. Even in BG2, the fight with Firkraag was optional and you could return later to finish it.

If you died often, it was probably because you were just window-selecting your party and clicking attack over and over - which you can still probably win most fights in the game with.

Oh Im sure people have solo'd the game on max difficulty - The problem isn't gating content, the problem is knowing what areas to do in what order to get the most efficient route possible while cheesing the overtuned fights.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The problem isn't gating content, the problem is knowing what areas to do in what order to get the most efficient route possible while cheesing the overtuned fights.
I just mean that fights in IE games rarely came down to RNG.

Far from being overtuned, they were undertuned. This is why mods like SCS became so popular.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The problem isn't gating content, the problem is knowing what areas to do in what order to get the most efficient route possible while cheesing the overtuned fights.
I just mean that fights in IE games rarely came down to RNG.

Far from being overtuned, they were undertuned. This is why mods like SCS became so popular.

That is true - And as it stands if you have even a basic understanding of PF rules you can stomp almost all the fights in the game on Standard difficulty BUT even then there are some that can go horribly wrong at the drop of a die. Which tells me they balanced everything around Standard, not Core.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom