Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Thankfully even in Disney Canon the character of Revan is male, so no "strong woman of colour" surprise awaits us.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Ugh, token cinematic reveal trailer spouting the usual Star Warsy nonsense. I'll eat it all up once they have something substantial to show.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...s-the-legendary-tale-remade-on-playstation-5/

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake is the legendary tale remade on PlayStation 5

KOTOR-Remake-Featured-image-scaled.jpg

Aspyr Media, Lucasfilm Games, and SIE are remaking the classic RPG from the ground up for the modern age.

A pinnacle of Star Wars Legends storytelling, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is set over 4,000 years before the events of the original trilogy and introduced a new story of new heroes and villains in an epic struggle for the fate of the galaxy. The team here at Aspyr and Sony Interactive Entertainment have joined forces with Lucasfilm Games to bring you a remake of this classic Star Wars adventure. We’re rebuilding one of the greatest RPGs of all time for a new generation with modern tech, features, visuals and more, while maintaining the integrity of the story and characters that we’ve come to cherish.

And it’s a console exclusive on PlayStation 5 at launch.

If you’re not familiar with “KOTOR” — as you’ll see fans lovingly refer to it — then you’re in for a treat. The original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was a truly groundbreaking achievement: an award-winning RPG of incredible scope, immersion, and ambition with an epic narrative to match. A diverse cast of characters to meet, multiple planets to discover, challenging battles to fight, and cinematic storytelling that responds to the choices you make — it’s no wonder that to this day KOTOR remains one of the most celebrated video games ever made.

Why remake Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? Well, nearly 20 years after it first debuted, the original KOTOR is still one of the most beloved games of all time. And even as Star Wars travels to new horizons, we know the community is as eager as ever to return to this iconic era of storytelling and action.

With Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake, our hope is to give both series newcomers and long-term fans an experience that can live alongside the very best modern releases. We’re rebuilding it from the ground up with the latest tech to match the groundbreaking standard of innovation established by the original, all while staying true to its revered story.

Aspyr has assembled the very best talent from across the industry to create Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake – industry veterans who have worked on great RPGs, as well as some members of the original Knights of the Old Republic development team. Their knowledge and passion for these characters, this story, and this world is unmatched. And just who is Aspyr? You probably know us as the studio responsible for bringing multiple Star Wars games to modern systems, including Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Episode I – Racer, Star Wars: Republic Commando, and, yes, the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic!

We’ve been working closely with Lucasfilm Games on classic Star Wars games for years, and that experience has instilled in our team a deep love and respect for these timeless titles, as well as a unique perspective on how to carry them forward into the modern age. We’re proud to be collaborating with Sony Interactive Entertainment and Lucasfilm Games to bring this dream to life.

So, what’s next? Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake is a tremendous undertaking, encompassing almost every aspect of the original game. We’re still early in development, but we’re happy to finally have announced the remake and hear the PlayStation community’s thoughts on what you’re excited to see.

Whether you’re new to KOTOR or one of the millions of fans who already know and love it, there’s a great adventure ahead of us. We can’t wait to show you more!

Hellion

Arcane
Not even hardcore Sony fanbois expect this to really be a PS exclusive.

Worst-case scenario, it launches on PS5 one month earier than everywhere else.

eilef

Educated
We do not need Kotor remake from you Disney! We need Kotor III with Avellone script that was written for Lucasarts all those years ago. I want to see and know how that story would end, not another attempt to milk peoples nostalgia, while destroying everything we hold dear! We had enough of that crap with your Sequel Trilogy!

Kotor series is one of the best games for me, and i am not going to play "modernized" version of it, by Disney. Seeing how “great” Disney does with Star Wars Legends, and how they destroying lore and characters in every chance they get, I will just skip it over respect to the games I loved so long ago. Fuck Disney for touching Kotor, they can only ruin it.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Not even hardcore Sony fanbois expect this to really be a PS exclusive.

Worst-case scenario, it launches on PS5 one month earier than everywhere else.

More like two weeks. Sony wants their sweet cash.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
The only benefit to a Kotor remake would be to implement turn-based combat, which I doubt they would do. They'll likely ditch the RTwP trappings and the d20 system and make it an action-RPG with AI-controlled party members.

The visuals are obviously going to be fully remade, but I'm not sure what they'll do with the story, characters and music, which are utterly banal and forgettable.

The combat is not going to be turn-based or RTwP, it's going to be pure real time action. End of story. Mainstream fags will get impressed by the visuals, we might have some faggots here as well trying to convince us to play it because of the eye-candy and then we're going to move on with our lives. No true CRPG fan will remember it.

They'll take combat from fallen order, add some pseudo character progression (say goodbye to attributes, and skills, and be glad to have a handful of "feats" that give +10% damage ala bitcher 3), solid graphics that will be outdated in 10 years (so they can remake it again) and that's it. That's your modern RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently "console exclusive on PlayStation 5 at launch" means "on consoles it's a PlayStation-exclusive at launch"?

Well on the bright side at least I don't see any mention of EPIC there, and KOTORs gameplay is so boring there's no way they can make it worse right?

ADL

Prophet
I'll take mediocre RTWP over mediocre hack and slash with over-the-shoulder ranged combat which is probably what they're gonna do.

You'd think Respawn Entertainment (Jedi Fallen Order) would have been a better fit for the job than a simple porting studio like Aspyr.

Israfael

Arcane
To think of it, PC version of proper OGL KOTOR would actually be neat as the game has a ton of bugs that cannot be fixed by community patch / dll injection and other bandaids (I recently had a playthrough and I probably spent more time on making the game not crash and work properly (real buttons and their graphics didn't match on the screen) than on progressing through the game). In any case, what kind of simplification does it need? You can breeze through the game on the top difficulty with absolutely random stats and gear choices and you basically one shot everything with stasis / horror if you distribute stats / spells / feats half decently.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
This remake going to be fucking awful.
Aspyr is a no-name dev with zero experience on rpg, this is star wars under current disney so that means MAX appeal for the general public so forget about Non-Voiced PC, a good dialogue system and most rpg mechanic going to be dumbe down. Oh also it's a console exclusive for a time. At least i can see they going for a FF7R remake style of combat but this is the only possitive..

Just thinking about this make me fear for a KOTOR2 remake. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom