Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm currently on the fence whether to buy, so I would appreciate some answers:

• Is crafting intrusive (thousands of components in every barrel, best stuff locked behind crafting)? Or is it safe to ignore?
  • How's item placement in general? Do enemies really don't drop their equipment?
  • Fatigue, Hunger, Thirst- a cool mechanic or major annoyance? Can they be turned off?
  • How's the skill/ stat balance? I saw some min/max advices on previous pages, but how does it look further into the game? Is every skill worth investing into or are there some worthless skills like Fallout Traps and Gambling?
  • How's the C&C? Does your chosen Wing really affect something or is it just flavour?

- you can upgrade your weapon's tier levels by it instead of fishing for them at vendors and you need to upgrade your "power armor" yourself which include collecting junk although it's unecessary thing to do, obviously.

- yeah, enemies drop random junk, very, very little hand placed loot in general, mostly endless random junk from crates and the game encourage you to loot because of xp rewards and lucky finds in case of high fortune stat.

- it's just that: a major annoyance, there's no problem to loot immense amount of supplies and just consume it from time to time.

- seems that by design you aren't forced to learn more than one combat skill so you left with choosing which secondary skills to develop. There's no outright worthless ones, some are just significantly better than the others and of course it depends on your chosen char's archetype.

- wing itself is mostly flavour (at best - options to solve minor quests) but the game has plenty of C&C, from purely cosmetic to very global ones. It's the strongest game's quality I think.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Has anyone been able to assemble that 3 shard relic from Nashville? I remember doing it in the beta but I see no options right now for it to be assembled.

There is a icon in the upper right corner for crafting or somesuch, there you can combine the 3 parts for triskele, and craft some basic stuff too.
Edit: press J as Jack mentioned before

Jinn

Arcane
There're Divinity OS-style chains that link character portraits. Clicking one stops the companion from following you.

Thank you! I tried clicking them before, but the animation for them uncoupling is so delayed, I must have clicked it twice and recoupled them.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So... about the writing. It's better worse something else.

JmwfBDr.png
IkBMBoc.png

:what:

Jinn

Arcane
Hit its all time high of concurrent players on steam today at 2,769. Not mind-blowing numbers or anything, but definitely better than I thought they would get, especially looking at their first day of 1.0. Happy to see it gain some traction.

On another topic, my couple hour session last night was a bit of a disappointment. The exploration, world-building, etc was all still very fun, but definitely started to feel like I was getting overpowered. Hope I just finally ended up where I was supposed to be a little stronger than I should have been and that I'm not tipping the power scale already at 15 hours. Part of the problem might be that I've got 3 companions right now, so I'll see how the next hour or so goes tonight and maybe drop one or two of them if its feeling too easy. Maybe if you're concerned about this yourself, try playing solo this first time through (and maybe WITHOUT that +75% experience lone wolf perk - there is a skill later down the line in Science that will give you +10% instead).

Either way CadmusLabs... So about that higher difficulty!

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
Maybe if you're concerned about this yourself, try playing solo this first time through (and maybe WITHOUT that +75% experience lone wolf perk - there is a skill later down the line in Science that will give you +10% instead).

Dont know when this starts but I have loner / survivour skill and action hero perk, and still gete aten by the roaches in the roadside gas station because I cant kill them fast enough. It doesnt help of course that I am a psi guy with most of his stats in brains and charisma.

Jinn

Arcane
Dont know when this starts but I have loner / survivour skill and action hero perk, and still gete aten by the roaches in the roadside gas station because I cant kill them fast enough. It doesnt help of course that I am a psi guy with most of his stats in brains and charisma.

You're going through a very similar situation as I was with pretty much the same build. My advice to you would be to leave Roadside Picnic and go to Junktown and start questing there. I think that's the intended direction you're supposed to go and I feel I might have become overpowered before Junktown because I cleared a lot of stuff at Roadside and the surrounding area first.

Bit of a strange design decision, honestly. Wouldn't your first thought after

a crazy apocalyptic event

be to go someplace you've been where there are people that you know?

Cromwell

Arcane
to go someplace you've been where there are people that you know?

thats exactly the reason why I went there. On the other hand the game tells you that you are supposed to go to the junkyard via a vision.

Sykar

Arcane
I'm currently on the fence whether to buy, so I would appreciate some answers:

• Is crafting intrusive (thousands of components in every barrel, best stuff locked behind crafting)? Or is it safe to ignore?
  • How's item placement in general? Do enemies really don't drop their equipment?
  • Fatigue, Hunger, Thirst- a cool mechanic or major annoyance? Can they be turned off?
  • How's the skill/ stat balance? I saw some min/max advices on previous pages, but how does it look further into the game? Is every skill worth investing into or are there some worthless skills like Fallout Traps and Gambling?
  • How's the C&C? Does your chosen Wing really affect something or is it just flavour?

- you can upgrade your weapon's tier levels by it instead of fishing for them at vendors and you need to upgrade your "power armor" yourself which include collecting junk although it's unecessary thing to do, obviously.

- yeah, enemies drop random junk, very, very little hand placed loot in general, mostly endless random junk from crates and the game encourage you to loot because of xp rewards and lucky finds in case of high fortune stat.

- it's just that: a major annoyance, there's no problem to loot immense amount of supplies and just consume it from time to time.

- seems that by design you aren't forced to learn more than one combat skill so you left with choosing which secondary skills to develop. There's no outright worthless ones, some are just significantly better than the others and of course it depends on your chosen char's archetype.

- wing itself is mostly flavour (at best - options to solve minor quests) but the game has plenty of C&C, from purely cosmetic to very global ones. It's the strongest game's quality I think.

-As you said you can also opt to just buy it. Crafting is not nearly as obnoxious as Underrail for example since there are not grades for components. Upgrading is also fairly straightforward and mostly uses similar upgrade materials for all the weapon groups with only minor differences.
-Enemies drop pretty few stuff and most is worthless so it is safe to ignore it
-It is a problem considering that food and almost everything but money and magazines have weight, especially for low strength characters and characters with the "Bossy" trait. I prefer this over Fallouts non-existence of well anything, which was one of my major gripes with the two games.
-That depends on damage types offerend. All weapon types offer skills for 4 different weapons, some enemies are highly resistant to certain damage types so you want to have at least 1-2 alternatives. It might end up you using another wepaon group to get access to the damage type you want.
-Each wing gives supstantial bonuses to skills so I would not say it is mostly flavor. You also get pretty different reactions especially in the prolgogue and also some start with a lot more money, starting equipment and weapon are also determined by it with Orange wing getting the worst weapon by far.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe if you're concerned about this yourself, try playing solo this first time through (and maybe WITHOUT that +75% experience lone wolf perk - there is a skill later down the line in Science that will give you +10% instead).

Be a man, play an ironman. At least with roaches.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
OK, I can't buy game right now, so I'll pirate it, but later I'll do that.
Maybe I'll wait I few days, then some patch may be released and I could buy game.
Or not.
This event will check my Iron Will...

jackofshadows

Magister
-As you said you can also opt to just buy it. Crafting is not nearly as obnoxious as Underrail for example since there are not grades for components. Upgrading is also fairly straightforward and mostly uses similar upgrade materials for all the weapon groups with only minor differences.
What?! It is Underrail where things regarding crafting are straightforward: in order to craft a high "tier" stuff all you need is the key component(s) and a few others. Here, in order to, say, upgrade weapon from tier 1 up to 10 you must spend 9 specific manuals which are hard to come by and a TON of junk while you say further "ignore the bodies". Therefore even if you are plan to rely on craft you still should fish for at least some base tier weapon, fish for manuals, not to mention collect all the fucking junk... ugh.
-It is a problem considering that food and almost everything but money and magazines have weight, especially for low strength characters and characters with the "Bossy" trait. I prefer this over Fallouts non-existence of well anything, which was one of my major gripes with the two games.
How is that a problem if you have your personal box at all times around you? Or you resctricting yourself from using it? Not to mention that penalties for overweight are laughable here, the first one is -2 initiative. Regardless of that, addition of this survival mechanic was a mistake.
-That depends on damage types offerend. All weapon types offer skills for 4 different weapons, some enemies are highly resistant to certain damage types so you want to have at least 1-2 alternatives. It might end up you using another wepaon group to get access to the damage type you want.
Yes but the alternatives could be under the same skill. Moreover, with high presicion stat and some abilities which boost your general thc you can use pretty much any weapon you want, skill level do not affect the damage output, only thc and said abilities.
-Each wing gives supstantial bonuses to skills so I would not say it is mostly flavor. You also get pretty different reactions especially in the prolgogue and also some start with a lot more money, starting equipment and weapon are also determined by it with Orange wing getting the worst weapon by far.
Starting bonuses go without saying - you can see them at char creation. Said reactions are just that - mostly flavour. Sure they are also affect how hard to access some of quests/how to solve them but that's minor. I mean, we aren't talking about AoD level of branching here depending on that starting choice.

Sykar

Arcane
What?! It is Underrail where things regarding crafting are straightforward: in order to craft a high "tier" stuff all you need is the key component(s) and a few others. Here, in order to, say, upgrade weapon from tier 1 up to 10 you must spend 9 specific manuals which are hard to come by and a TON of junk while you say further "ignore the bodies". Therefore even if you are plan to rely on craft you still should fish for at least some base tier weapon, fish for manuals, not to mention collect all the fucking junk... ugh.
How is that a problem if you have your personal box at all times around you? Or you resctricting yourself from using it? Not to mention that penalties for overweight are laughable here, the first one is -2 initiative. Regardless of that, addition of this survival mechanic was a mistake.
Yes but the alternatives could be under the same skill. Moreover, with high presicion stat and some abilities which boost your general thc you can use pretty much any weapon you want, skill level do not affect the damage output, only thc and said abilities.
Starting bonuses go without saying - you can see them at char creation. Said reactions are just that - mostly flavour. Sure they are also affect how hard to access some of quests/how to solve them but that's minor. I mean, we aren't talking about AoD level of branching here depending on that starting choice.

- What the actual fuck. I have sunk over 1400 hours into Underrail and if there is one thing I would clean up it is the obnoxious crafting system which is straight up broken since the best stuff you can craft outdoes most bought and found stuff, including uniques, by a factor of anywhere 1.5 to 3 or more. Furthermore finding components which are actually BETTER than what you have gets more and more tedious and the ONLY way to be sure is to consult the fucking wiki wether that lens you found will actuall improve your detection by a reasonable amount or not.Do not even get me started on the fucking regular tours you have to take around most settlements in hopes of finding actually quality components since getting them as loot is even more of RNG. Bohoo you need some stuff to upgrade. The sky is falling. Meanwhile you drown in components in Underrail and are constantly taking notes what component quality your latest shit had because a couple of hours later you WILL have forgotten half if not more of it.

-Yes of course I am restricting myself and which respectable RPG player would not, just like you restrict yourself with save scumming. My box is in Roadside picninc and any box I see outward of that gets ignored. The same way I was ignoring spam resting in Infity engine games as well as excessive pre buffing or abusing AI limitations. I actually wish you could disbable that box. Anyone who does not so has no valid opinion on the matter.

-"Could be" yeah, maybe, maybe not. It also depends on build since some builds swim in points while others do not. Suffice to say one should not discard a potential second weapon group. Doubly true for Psionics since using it while high on fatigue can be fatal since falling unconcious kills you.

-The wings can be outright build defining. To say there are just flavor when they easily provide north of 40 extra skill points, an extra attribute point and even special bonus like extra skill points per level or extra fortitude is outright disingenuous.

the mutants in the basement of the abandoned building in the roaside picnic area are supposed to be fought at when you get there the first time?

Well only if you want to solve one particular quest. I managed it on my PSI character but not sure how other builds will fare. They are susceptible to stuns so if you can use that do it.
I am not aware that the quest is time sensitive but I might be wrong. Not sure if there are any time sensitive quests in the game.
If you really need help you could read the little note on the billboard which will reveal a new location. You can recruit your first companion there if
you choose the right dialogue options and if you do the right thing. You know what I mean when you get there.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
- What the actual fuck. I have sunk over 1500 hours into Underrail and if there is one thing I would clean up it is the obnoxious crafting system which is straight up broken since the best stuff you can craft outdoes most bought and found stuff, including uniques, by a factor of anywhere 1.5 to 3 or more. Furthermore finding components which are actually BETTER than what you have gets more and more tedious and the ONLY way to be sure is to consult the fucking wiki wether that lens you found will actuall improve your detection by a reasonable amount or not.Do not even get me started on the fucking regular tours you have to take around most settlements in hopes of finding actually quality components since getting them as loot is even more of RNG. Bohoo you need some stuff to upgrade. The sky is falling. Meanwhile you drown in components in Underrail and are constantly taking notes what component quality your latest shit had because a couple of hours later you WILL have forgotten half if not more of it.
If you're that annoyed by the "tours" - use cheat engine, seriously (I don't although I will use it next time for the speed hack which isn't working here by the way and that's annoying as hell). Which is basically no different to this with the exception that this game features fucking successive vendors meaning you have to skip a lot of time in order to find the desired one (or savescum at the permanent ones). And how the fuck are you "drowining" in components in Underrail after 1.5k hours under the belt? Just... don't loot what you don't need? Here on the other hand you need a LOT of shit regardless because requirements for different tier upgrades are different i.e. you don't even know what you might need in the future (unlike in Underrail once you crafted whatever piece of gear). Yeah, wiki will come handy here.
-Yes of course I am restricting myself, who would not and which respectable RPG player would not, just like you restrict yourself with save scumming. My box is in Roadside picninc and any box I see outward of that gets ignored. The same way I was ignoring spam resting in Infity engine games as well as excessive pre buffing or abusing AI limitations. I actually wish you could disbable that box. Anyone who does not so has no valid opinion on the matter.
Dude that's cute but that's not how the game actually works means while you can play however you want we need evaluate subj as it present itself. In other words, weight of that stuff is not a problem for most of players, it's a problem for you to solve. As for me, I just hoard mostly and don't care about penalties before they start to affect AP, have shitty initiative due to heavy weapons (kewl mechanic) anyways.
-"Could be" yeah, maybe, maybe not. It also depends on build since some builds swim in points while others do not. Suffice to say one should not discard a potential second weapon group. Doubly true for Psionics since using it while high on fatigue can be fatal since falling unconcious kills you.
I agree, especially for solo since even if they designed mostly with 1 weap skill for the prot in mind, I'm sure most people play with companions which easily can bring some another types of damage to the table.
-The wings can be outright build defining. To say there are just flavor when they easily provide north of 40 extra skill points, an extra attribute point and even special bonus like extra skill points per level or extra fortitude is outright disingenuous.
You can get those bonuses otherwise. Wing's bonuses might "deploy" you to one archetype or another but they're not that significant by themselves.

Cromwell

Arcane
Whats the meaning of the green text under npc names "gives suicidal orders" for example?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finally after two days i managed to go past the tutorial area lol,real life could be a bitch at times. The game is pretty good,would recommend getting XP boost from science and survival early on. A negative is that the dialogues are too...snap. You ask a question and you don't get to ask the other questions,it feels weird but kind off realistic.

Also the dude told me something about a team but i have only some driver chick. Am i missing something ?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I'm still in starting lobby, mainly reading everything and planning my build.
Maybe I'll have time to actually play during weekend.

Stats seem to go past 10 and so my silver wing +bossy thot has effective char of 13.
Is bribing useful?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom