Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Aspyr officially announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aspyr Media; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake

The possibility of a remake of BioWare's 2003 Star Wars RPG Knights of the Old Republic has been the subject of various leaks and rumors over the past couple of years. Back in April, Jason Schreier basically confirmed that a KOTOR remake was in development at Aspyr Media. The game, which is titled simply Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake, was formally announced today at this year's PlayStation Showcase. Although appearing at first to be some sort of PS5 exclusive, Lucasfilm and Aspyr were quick to confirm that it will be coming to PC as well. Here's its teaser trailer, which features a badass-looking Revan:

That's all we know for now. Perhaps more details will be revealed at the the Game Awards at the end of the year. But yeah, it'll probably be popamole.

Takamori

Learned
Meh, be prepared for a new uninspired RPG system that will cater the zoomer audience and corporate preachy storyline in order to get the soyboy audience.
Sam Maggs will probably oversee the dialogue and cut what is deemed not politically correct etc etc.

Bulo

Scholar
Arguably, KotOR is in need of nothing more than a more modern, compatibility-focused port, so to rescue the number of graphical features that are bugged/inaccessible in the current PC version. Like most third party remakes, however, it will likely be confused by their inability to access the many minute intentions that informed the many minute design choices of the original developers -- if indeed they even notice said design choices, and if at all they care to conserve them.

Prepare for an audio remaster that falls flat compared to the original, gameplay that is 'streamlined' for a less tolerant audience, and, if needs must, a story pruned and fluffed to suit (post-?)modern sensibilities.

EDIT: actually I change my mind I'm anticipating a GOTY (VIDEOGAME OF THE YEAR)

Black

Arcane
1631226142052.png

heheheheheheheh
appropriate for kotor 1

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
1631226142052.png

heheheheheheheh
appropriate for kotor 1
I will play devils advocate here. Sam Maggs didn't do a bad job with the new Racket & Clank game. She largely was able to restrain herself and keep her personal politics out of it. However, that maybe because the game was mostly aimed at kids and many of the fans for Racket & Clank are diehard and if she fucked up by inserting her politics they would have let her have it. However, I don't think KoTOR will be as lucky. Lucas Films is of course run by Katlynn Kennedy and that old bitch wants everything in Star Wars to be feminist centric. No doubt that right now ol' KK is rubbing her hands together and telling Maggs to rewrite and retcon everything about KoTOR to have it be female centric. Prepare yourselves, we may see a bastardization the likes we may not have seen in a while. KK takes pride in destroying Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. What makes you all think that Revan isn't on her list?

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you could play a female Reven in the original so not sure why we need any new writing unless there's going to be a gender neutral option.

Of course, they could be adding a new hub/quests/party members which would need more writing I guess.

Also hope they get rid of and/or fix those awful racing/turret shooting mini-games.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
As long as they don't touch the best Kotor, it's all good.
if anything they're more likely to now more than ever. Which sucks but you honestly can't tell me the chance to write out Chris Avellone and on top of it completely change the ending to KOTOR2 wouldn't be on the horizon. They are going to do it especially if this remake sells well.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Written by Sam Maggs, the woman who complained on TV about the patriarchy and being raped in GTA Online.
why do you need a writer for a remake? To change all the dialog about Revan in a gender-neutral form?

The original rumor was that this is supposed to be some kind of composite version of Kotor 1 and 2 that incorporates all of the elements that Disney considers canon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom