Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is way worse than I remember it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Decline compared to the original.

Compared to our current day standards, hell, it's unfathomable incline.

What you are implying is that what was once decline can become incline. In turn this means that the terms incline and decline have no real meaning beyond the whims of the codex devaluing both the terms and the discussions held by the members of this esteemed club of ours. Yours is a dangerous line of thought and I say you should be branded a heretic, even killed maybe.
-"3 is less than 4 but greater than 1."
-"My god hang the heretic!"

Inconceivable

Learned

What you are implying is that what was once decline can become incline. In turn this means that the terms incline and decline have no real meaning beyond the whims of the codex devaluing both the terms and the discussions held by the members of this esteemed club of ours. Yours is a dangerous line of thought and I say you should be branded a heretic, even killed maybe.

I realize this is slightly off-topic, but I see you talking about Incline and Decline... is there some kind of Codex dictionary hanging around somewhere? I'm having a tough time decrypting some of the vocabulary or understanding forum tags, like what the cute parrot is all about.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I realize this is slightly off-topic, but I see you talking about Incline and Decline... is there some kind of Codex dictionary hanging around somewhere? I'm having a tough time decrypting some of the vocabulary or understanding forum tags, like what the cute parrot is all about.
Incline:
incline.png

Decline:
decline.png

There you go.

P.S. The parrot is none of your concern. For all intents and purposes, he was never there. :M+M:M

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I can safely say that if any of this stuff ended up in a Bethesda Fallout game, people would still be mocking it today:
Not really the point. People had ten years between 2 and 3 to think about the crappy parts of Fallout 2 and how they don't mesh with what Fallout is perceived to be about, and sequels are supposed to address concerns like that and improve upon them. In-fact I seem to recall a lot of Bethesda PR basically saying that they'd thrown a lot of the themes of Fallout 2 out the window and went back to basics with a Fallout 1 styled game prior to the release of Fallout 3.

Instead what actually happened was (despite Avellone's best efforts to rectify shit with the Fallout Bible) Bethesda doubled down on the retardation and swapped retardation out for other retardation. Sure, in Fallout 3 we don't have straight up ghosts like Anna in the Den, yeah no, instead of that we have cthulhu mythos lovecraft supernatural necronomicon shit injected into Fallout 3, Point Lookout and Fallout 4 (which everyone inexplicably loves for some reason, waow dunwich building so spooky!). Instead of Wanamingos looking like Xenomorphs, Skynet lore (...), or the alien crash site special encounter with the fuzzy Elvis (dude Elvis got abducted by aliens lol!) painting being on the same level as encountering Dr Who's TARDIS, they double down on aliens and build an entire DLC around them without any ambiguity as to their canonicity or involvement in the setting, and also throw in the little bonus of having it implied that the aliens are the ones who started the war. Bethesda just upping retardation amounts with reckless abandon doesn't get a free pass just because Fallout 2 had more than a few too many pop culture references and goofy parts.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Site Feedback has a thread for help understanding the buttons, among other informative threads. For the venerable Parrot specifically:

:M = emphasis, indeed, interesting, hmm..., worth considering, pirates, Norway, tongue-in-cheek, mischievous

9Vw0hwR.jpg

NG
incline.png
LG
rating_prestigious.png
_________ :MCG​

LN
rating_prosper.png
_______
rating_brofist.png
________
cat.gif
CN
LE
rating_racist.png
________
rating_shittydog.gif
CE​
decline.png
NE​

The parrot is a creature both majestic and versatile.

laclongquan

Arcane
Am I missing something, or is Fallout 2 not nearly as good as its successors like Arcanum or New Vegas?

DONT, I mean dont apply your experience in FNV into Fallout 2. Just... dont.

Fallout New Vegas is pretty easy to mod so you have plenty of mods that help you play with lots of skill checks etc. Fallout 2 is hell on modding, so it's five times lesser than FNV in term of mods.

Fallout NV's main check skill is Repair (fixing shits) and Survival (cooking stuffs). But Fallout 2 main check skill is Speech. So expecting high use of Repair in 2 is just wrong.

And yeah, speaking as a heretic who goes directly againts Top 70 and Top100, but Fallout New Vegas is better than Fallout 2. Their devs did get several levelups after all~

Lol, OP can't remember 8 skills. That complaint is dumb dude.

FO2 was a great game, it's rough by today's standards due to some pixel hunting, somewhat clunky UI, and getting ridiculously bogged down when there are many combatants each taking their turn. But there were lots of legitimate different ways to solve things and discover.

It wasn't made to be played with a guide on how to do everything the best way. They didn't necessarily care all that much about balancing one build against another. You just made your character how you wanted and see what happens.

If you know all the skill checks and what the rewards are and min-max your character around that, big surprise the game loses a lot of mystery.

I found FO1 annoying with the whole time constraint, sorta at odds with the open world.

Arcanum isn't better than fallout 2, that's just silly. You can't explode a dude's head by shooting him the eye with a sniper rifle, therefore decline.

Humbaba

Arcane
relative value vs absolute value is not a new concept, nor a progenitor towards societal collapse.

I mean I was exaggerating for hilarious comedic effect and you WILL laugh. But we are not assigning numbers to games we classify them with the terms incline and decline right? This means that there needs to be a baseline somewhere and relativizing the whole thing strips it of any logic.

See above.
still should be hanged though just to make sure:mob:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Gamers have thanks to ease of modern life and infectious retardation that is being promoted and rewarded at every step in our dead civilization, become: LAZY and DUMB. People who can't memorize their own phone number are the same who complain about hardship of memorizing numerical order of 8 skills or (heavens forbid!) about physical and psychological trauma of making two clicks and applying certain skill during quest solving. We need Aliens, Mongol Invasion, Zombie Pandemic, WW3. Anything. To wake us up

PROTIP: If clicking is so hard, how about you turn on Youtube and click play on walkthrough. Or find Mexican game assistant who'll make all clicks for you for 2$/h

deuxhero

Arcane
Well played some more and got to New Reno and my car disappeared AFTER I did the chop-shop and got it back. Now to go back through my saves and find where the one before it broke was. That's with the unofficial patch and restoration.

Edit: Didn't have to look too hard as I saved during chop shop sequence, which has a distinct thumbnail. Did quest to find out who killed the Wright son a second time. I really like this quest since it has multiple orders to go in, lets you jump to the wrong conclusions, and requires your character learn about the town to actually get the very best outcome for it.

Edit: Feeling behind on gear progression, just went to Navarro. The ability to enter this place and steal almost everything with one skill check (Chris) was a huge mistake. It's not even that far off the normal sequence (Kalamath>Den>Redding>NCR>San Francisco>Navarro can all be learned without any real difficulty) and you're just handed the best armor and weapons in the game.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If there's one gripe I have with FO2, and it is that there is no Enclave ending.
In Fallout 1 you could join the Master and you can still do all sorts of horrible stuff in Fallout 2, but you still can't help the Enclave?
I do understand why you couldn't because that would be awkward from a narrative standpoint, but it would have still been nice if there was an "oops" ending where you release the toxin or something.

I fail to see how being bad at the game makes repair checks less frequent.

"I hadn't played Fallout 2 (or 1) in several years, mainly because I remembered it mainly for the awful interface, bad controls (using skills on things requires selecting the skill from a menu or memorizing the hotkey"

I stopped reading there.

323191.image0.png

I had to memorize that for calculus 2 and you have trouble remembering. 1- sneak, 2- lockpick 3- steal 8-repair ect...?

tKIbkEe.png

That's literally a picture of you.
is that calculus? I remember that being pre calc and doing 'proofs' in trig or something, but its been a long ass time and I don't really care that much.... anyway seeing that sheet seriously made my heart skip a beat and I felt ill for a moment, holy shit I hated that stuff and am so glad I don't have to take a test on that again.

Jigby

Augur
@OP, play with a 3AP character (1AG+Bruised) on Ironman. Almost as fun as playing Daggerfall with Speed~10.

No, it is fun. I'm not being sarcastic :_

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Back then, little past-me thought FO2 was awsomerish, because it was bigger and moah of everything.
But after growing up a little, it became a nice example that bigger/more does not automatically mean better.
It felt like a movie stretched into a 10 episodes show. Lots of optional and distracting stuff, real life guns to bloat the lineup and some really silly shit. Heh, I get where Todd got his impressions for FO3 from.
FO1 was a pretty linear game, where every location you visited, directly advanced you on your breadcrumb trail.
FO2 on the other hand was closer to modern open world games, where your quest was more to point you into a general area to explore locations on the way.
But FO2 is by no means a bad game. While I consider FO1 better, FO2 is a close 2nd place. :obviously:

Funfact: my first memorable experience with FO2 was the game having a 50% chance to crash upon using a melee attack on a rat.
Todd probably took notes back then. :hahano:

Trippy

Novice
This is a dumb thread, so I feel compelled to contribute.

I'm a late-blooming combatfag, and I didn't play either of the OG Fallouts until well into my crotchety, bitter 30s. In other words, I encountered them as a grown-ass man with no nostalgia goggles.

Fallout 1 is brilliant. It''s not so much incline, as it is the high-water mark by which new work is compared (and has yet to surpass). It's the Citizen Kane or La règle du jeu of CRPGs. The only thing I hate about Fallout 1 is that it was my first of these types of games, and most everything since -- even the other 'classics' --- has just been slot machines with a bunch of faggy LARPer nonsense grafted on. I begrudge it for getting me into this stupid hobby in the first place. :argh:

Fallout 2 is... fine. It's a dim retread, yes, but it works for what it is. It's superior to most, albeit clearly inferior to its own predecessor. It's more like the Temple of Doom of video games: great within in its genre, but also histrionic and obvious and unnecessary compared to the original. Of course none of this is reflected in the OP's criticisms, as he seems to be a smooth-brained monkey dipshit who is mostly complaining about hotkeys.

Regardless, thanks to this dumpster-fire thread, I now finally know what that fucking dancing parrot means. So that's nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom