Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Larianshill

Arbiter
Personally, looking forward to what they do to Juhani and Mission.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since it's a modern remake, it's going to use the Jedi: Fallen Order combat system, isn't it? Terrible. In a perfect world, I'm not sure what they could really improve without it turning into another game. More challenging and less janky combat (no action combat, though), sure, but I'm talking about generally. Taris is terrible, so that's a good place to start. I haven't played KotOR1 since I was a teen, so I don't remember much of it and don't really have much of a desire to replay it.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm not sure what they could really improve without it turning into another game
Rewriting 80% of it would be a good start. KOTOR's writing is occasionally great, but a lot of it is utter trash, especially when it comes to good/evil choices. Hidden Beks vs Vulkars, Chuundar vs Freyyr, Rukil vs Igear are all great examples of the times when KOTOR falls flat on its face. And don't tell me that Star Wars was always a cartoon with cartoon morality, it was never as bad as it was in the cases I listed.
Then there is Revan himself, whose dialogue shows not a trace of a great man he once supposedly was. Half his dialogue is unfunny jokes that seem to be direct ancestors of "Sarcasm" option from Dragon Age 2.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Essentially, yeah. KOTOR was a great product of its time, but it barely holds up, if it holds up at all. You can't just update the graphics and call it a day.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's what I meant by "I'm not sure what they could really improve without it turning into another game". Everything I can think of requires almost complete rewrites of everything, so it will just be another game. KotOR1 was never really that good tbh, so remaking it feels a bit unnecessary. Why not remake KotOR2? Invite Avellone to finish it, keep the other writing as is, use the restoration mod as a baseline, fix the combat, and you are set.

Hellion

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-announced

Aspyr Media lead producer Ryan Treadwell appeared on the livestream post-show to talk up the game some more. He clarified that it's not a remaster, but a full remake built "from the ground up." The aim is to "honour the original story" while delivering much higher fidelity graphics. He also said that it would be some time before they're ready to show anymore.

Aiming to "honor the original story" is as red a flag as one could find in the history of red flags, maybe ever.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So how much are they going to re-write the story, how much are they going to add? FF7 remake adds bunch of shit and drag the games to be way too long than it should be, and it seems to be happening again.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
So the studio making this remake never made a game, and they people re-writing it think the new Star Wars are the epitome of narrative excellency.

Fuck, this'll be more entertaining than the Bloodlines 2 fiasco.

Robber Baron

Savant
Yes yes can't wait

come-ere-revan.jpg

Also the odds that Disney will get Jeremy Soule back to do the music are nill after his rape and sexual harassment allegations from two years ago right?
He seems to have still disappeared since then?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This is all hilarious and way into the surreal territory. But also consider for a sec that they could've literally hired Avellone, but went with a mentally deranged inept minority hire. What a world.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Considering KOTOR's combat was utter shite with awful systems and consolized controls making it action game cannot really at least make it worse, even if it'd not be RPG anymore.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
High-budget games always come out on PC now (unless it's from Sony or Nintendo, and even they're letting up). If you see a game being described as 'console exclusive', you can automatically assume it'll be on PC too.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom