Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Aspyr officially announced

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
She really does seem like she would've fit in at Bioware. She could've hung out with Manveer Heir spitting on the people paying their bills.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Written by Sam Maggs, the woman who complained on TV about the patriarchy and being raped in GTA Online.
why do you need a writer for a remake? To change all the dialog about Revan in a gender-neutral form?

The original rumor was that this is supposed to be some kind of composite version of Kotor 1 and 2 that incorporates all of the elements that Disney considers canon.

I take my earlier comment back, this project sounds grotesque.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everything deserves a chance, but I have so little faith in Bioware these days that I would not be hyped by this project even if they hired Chris Avellone to write it.

EDIT: Turns out Bioware and EA don't have anything to do with this? If true, I am a little bit more hopeful.

Last edited:
The original rumor was that this is supposed to be some kind of composite version of Kotor 1 and 2 that incorporates all of the elements that Disney considers canon.
Because just remaking KOTOR1 in a modern AAA format wasn't already an unrealistically tall order for a porting studio. This will go the way of bloodlines 2.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Written by Sam Maggs, the woman who complained on TV about the patriarchy and being raped in GTA Online.
why do you need a writer for a remake? To change all the dialog about Revan in a gender-neutral form?

Considering that kotor2 was already retconned in the MMO this is not surprising.

Kotor 2 is simply too interesting and intelligent to be part of the laser swords goes fwhoom franchise.

Dycedarg

Learned
It has been a long time since I played Kotor, but I remember almost giving up on the game soon after the part where you become a jedi. And I liked Bioware at the time. But while I still think the game as a whole is really bad, there are a few interesting companions and moments that justify it's existence. And it also paved the way Kotor 2, which is actually good (if you're a storyfag like me).

As for the remake, it's obvious they're gonna make it worse. What surprised me is that this remake seems to follow the same formula used in movie remakes/reboots, which haven't really affected games until now.

Considering that kotor2 was already retconned in the MMO this is not surprising.

Kotor 2 is simply too interesting and intelligent to be part of the laser swords goes fwhoom franchise.

I never payed attention to the MMO, but I remember reading a book set in the Kotor universe a few years back. What really surprised me is that the author didn't seem to understand what Kotor 2 was about. For him, the story was a weird event that featured an oddball called Kreia, that's completely different to everything else in the SW universe. And while I understand that not everyone likes deconstruction, it's not like Kotor 2 is that difficult to grasp.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
No Avellone, no party.

I;m making the following prediciton: Carth Onasi- gay male companion, Bastila- bisexual strong woman with biceps bigger than prime Arnold, Hk-47 voiced by a trans and Canderous Ordo- toxic male companion.

You just know the remake will be full of woke propaganda.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Wondering if its true that they will combine the stories from kotor 1 and 2 into this remake. They spoke in the video about telling the story of revan, if im not mistaken, so maybe that means its just the first game.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Wondering if its true that they will combine the stories from kotor 1 and 2 into this remake. They spoke in the video about telling the story of revan, if im not mistaken, so maybe that means its just the first game.
There is an old leak, that correctly predicted this company remaking the game. It said they would separately remake KOTOR1 and KOTOR2, and then make KOTOR3 some time later. Personally, I don't know what to think about it - predicting that a company that so far only solely updated the games for modern system, would be trusted with remaking such a beloved game, is a bit off the wall. Makes it more credible.

1631221720960.png

grimace

Arcane
There is an old leak, that correctly predicted this company remaking the game. It said they would separately remake KOTOR1 and KOTOR2, and then make KOTOR3 some time later. Personally, I don't know what to think about it - predicting that a company that so far only solely updated the games for modern system, would be trusted with remaking such a beloved game, is a bit off the wall. Makes it more credible.

1631221720960.png

I first played KOTOR on a 1024 x 768 monitor 4:3 aspect ratio.

A 4K 16:9 AAA re-make is a completely new game.

Port the original game to Nintendo Switch and sell it as retro for the easiest profit.

Larianshill

Arbiter
There are people who thinks Kotor 1 is better than Kotor 2? On the Codex? Jesus, Codex has truly declined in recent years.....
KOTOR2 is better in many aspects, such as individual companions. Unfortunately, it feels raw and unfinished even with every possible restoration mod (while KOTOR1 feels like a complete game), and it has Kreia. KOTOR1 does not have Kreia, which is a huge win for it.

DemonKing

Arcane
There are people who thinks Kotor 1 is better than Kotor 2? On the Codex? Jesus, Codex has truly declined in recent years.....

No it's been like that since the beginning.

KOTOR2 was a mess on release - buggy, unfinished, a dismal starting area. IMO It's one saving grace was Kreia who was an awesome NPC/Mentor with some of the best voice acting ever.

KOTOR wasn't perfect (lame minigames, ordinary combat) but more of the NPCs were interesting than not with decent voice acting, you could feel genuinely evil (as opposed to stupid evil that is the norm for most CRPGs), the twist was quite well executed and some of the areas were pretty interesting like the Sith planet. You could argue it was the beginning of decline as the game's structure was the template for Bioware games for the next ten years but compared to the crap they've churned out since ME3 it's a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom