Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Tales of Arise - Shounen trying to be deep.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Let's fucking go, bitches ! The opening sequence on the train is JRPG bliss. Yeah, Tales games are a bit shallow, but I have the feeling the presentation alone makes it worth.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I don't like any of the characters from trailer so i don't really care. Only pajeet prince or whatever he is looks slightly more interesting than genericgrown up and serious others. Pandering to west was a mistake.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Looks like it's doing well on steam

index.php

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

index.php
Can't see what you posted, but Steam charts shows a peak of 45.000 CU which is very very good for a $60 anime game. Reviews so far are also pretty good. I'll probably buy it later today because I'm not a weeb but can enjoy some animeme stuff like Code Vein or The Last Remnant, will post impressions if I end up buying it

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite

index.php
Can't see what you posted, but Steam charts shows a peak of 45.000 CU which is very very good for a $60 anime game. Reviews so far are also pretty good. I'll probably buy it later today because I'm not a weeb but can enjoy some animeme stuff like Code Vein or The Last Remnant, will post impressions if I end up buying it

onNqXMa.png

Saw the first two hours, the characters thus far are likeable. Asshole princess tells iron mask guy that his little resistance camp only hasn't been overrun because the conquering nation doesn't really see them as a threat. He gets pissy for a second but admits she's probably right. There are already some enemies early on that demand more than mashing attack.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Gameplay i.e combat is genuinely good with decent depth, does not feel like the dumb almost automatic shit that it was previously (only 2d tales had decent combat till now). Story doesn't make me cringe with second-hand embarrassment (at least not like the other tales games.. good god they were horrible things only weebs could enjoy). Good game, overall good as it gets for a jrpg nowadays.

Alternatively. Hoping edgy witcher wannabe FF16 turns out to be great. This is fine in the meantime. Has some decent bosses that are action game worthy.

Jinn

Arcane
It sounds like the mechanics themselves have some good depth and it's fun to play, bit how's the difficulty in general? Does it provide a nice challenge?

This is the first Tales game I've looked at with any interest since Tales of Destiny, so I'm getting pretty curious about how good the gameplay ends up being. Any good exploration? Satisfying character and equipment progession?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It sounds like the mechanics themselves have some good depth and it's fun to play, bit how's the difficulty in general? Does it provide a nice challenge?

This is the first Tales game I've looked at with any interest since Tales of Destiny, so I'm getting pretty curious about how good the gameplay ends up being. Any good exploration? Satisfying character and equipment progession?
The difficulty was extremely easy on normal, moderate is alright but you will probably level beyond it, hard is probably the best. I play on moderate since I don't like to min-max jrpgs, it's decent, I can probably die if I get careless; though only got wiped twice in my 10 hours. But unfortunately, I accidentally redeemed the 20% XP boost that comes with deluxe so I may be biased. Maybe moderate is the best difficulty.

Exploration is the same linear areas with shit in-between, decent shit. Occasionally they don't outright show the objective direction, so it's nice to open the map and deduce the way to the quest. The issue is there are so many skits that it really drags down the gameplay, just too many and unfortunately some of them are important character moments..

So far the character progression is pretty good with loads of skill trees and gameplay altering shit getting unlocked often. As for equipment it follows the same format as the previous tales and jrpgs in general, you buy all the good shit whenever you find it, I'm not sure that is called progression cause it feels very linear with not enough choice, maybe it'll open up later but it still hasn't yet for me.

Interms of enjoyment, it's split between annoyance at the constant skits and having fun during gameplay when they let me. Also this is quite frankly the only 3d combat tales(when they added z-axis in combat) where I'm having fun with the gameplay and it really helps that my face doesn't get distorted by cringe as often.

Vesperia was good, but I hated the gameplay, character design and colour palette..

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
So far it's certainly another very positive step for Tales (after Xillia sunk standards as low as it could). I don't share the overhype going on, but it's certainly on its way to be one of my favourite Tales games. Top 5 possibly.
I also don't get Dedicated_Dark comment about *cringe* on that note. This is still plenty anime and there are Tales games that are not any worse or even better.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Couple of mates have picked this up and they're singing it's praises. Will defo grab it later in the year when I've cleared the backlog a bit.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I also don't get Dedicated_Dark comment about *cringe* on that note. This is still plenty anime and there are Tales games that are not any worse or even better.
Started out alright, got pretty anime now. But still waaay less than what I was put through in Berseria/Symphonia and other garbage for example. There are decent tales; Vesperia for example, but this takes the cake because it's a fun game outside of the narrative.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
-dialogue is not even half cringy as previous games. Good sign
-game looks good
-characters made less impression to me compared to berseria, but less tropey at least so far. The built-in tsundere has good reason to be tsun. Zephyr is best dad.
-combat is fucking great and there's plenty of things to play with. My comllain is it's too easy even at hard. The first boss was ok, and several big zeugles are hard that's it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

index.php

55,306 for Saturday peak.

Yeah, looks like this will be the best selling singleplayer JRPG on Steam. Improved gameplay and visual, very good PC port according to many reports, mostly regional pricing, and simultaneous release on all platforms and languages.

Atlus pretends to not seeing this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My comllain is it's too easy even at hard.

Please let us know if that improves as you get further in the game.
Seems so, at least for bosses and big zeugles/mini bosses on the map. Trash mobs are still mindless as ever, but the bosses are great. I am not far in chapter 2 though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom