Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Classic D&D/AD&D/OSR Art

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
1QPxQep.jpg

hwuJhaL.jpg

Q0B0aaR.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Was colorizing some of the art from this thread using an AI program. Just gonna post results for posterity.
AI colorization is not quite at production levels of quality, but almost there already. Soon...

474eab5c14ed592fc83a4a369ae675a8.png

2b222788af78495f9c629347f8399e8f.png

97db3cb90152a31e18a6e7c08be00db4.png

1739a9b2ab0ea7795eee8f39fa66e70a.png

A horse of course

Too much SOVL in this thread, it's fucking depressing :negative:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was colorizing some of the art from this thread using an AI program. Just gonna post results for posterity.
AI colorization is not quite at production levels of quality, but almost there already. Soon...

pretty damn good already. Is it some kind of existing tool?

Last edited:

Berengar

Learned

This is really cool! Some of the colors remind me of the coloring on the AD&D comics from the late 80's.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

interesting, thanks for the link. I gave it a try, my results weren't nowhere as good as yours or the examples on the github page, but I can see the potential
Each image took me about an hour of assigning color guides and repainting, correcting the guides if I don't like the result, and iterating like that.

Besides, the program was specifically written for colorizing japanese line art. The documentation openly states it shouldn't be expected to work with dirty pencil drawn art or western art at all. Nevertheless, I made it work, it just took some effort.

Here's an example of how it works with japanese line art.

Notice that it recognized the face and drew the eyes real nice, gave the girl a blush, gave her hair gradients. And this image took maybe 10 minutes by comparison, almost no iterations.

fbd2ef889e97942ccf30f5850cfe128d.png

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

interesting, thanks for the link. I gave it a try, my results weren't nowhere as good as yours or the examples on the github page, but I can see the potential
Each image took me about an hour of assigning color guides and repainting, correcting the guides if I don't like the result, and iterating like that.

Besides, the program was specifically written for colorizing japanese line art. The documentation openly states it shouldn't be expected to work with dirty pencil drawn art or western art at all. Nevertheless, I made it work, it just took some effort.

Here's an example of how it works with japanese line art.

Notice that it recognized the face and drew the eyes real nice, gave the girl a blush, gave her hair gradients. And this image took maybe 10 minutes by comparison, almost no iterations.

fbd2ef889e97942ccf30f5850cfe128d.png

I didn't use anime, that might explain why I had to place all the colors by hand. Also it wasn't helped by how each iteration took ~5 min to color. And even then there's a few places on the end result where I could have gone back and fixed, like his jacket going yellow in places and the skin color that's inconsistent.

oK2RrjY.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This Elmore painting was used as the cover of Dragon Magazine #108 (April 1986), but those colors are far off:
Maybe the publisher had to brighten the color and touch up the painting for the print product.
The Dragon Magazine cover is even less saturated than the version on Elmore's website:

0rdtis.jpg

Unfortunately, when confronted with different levels of saturation, contrast, et cetera between different reproductions of a painting, whether the reproductions are digital or physical, it's difficult to determine which is correct, and it may be the case that all of them are significantly off from the original in at least one respect. However, even if we can't be certain about the Elmore website version of "Hidden Danger" versus the Dragon Magazine printed version, it's clear that the first version posted is ludicrously over-saturated (possibly specifically over-satured in reds with some additional changes to contrast and/or brightness).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom