Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lunacid - first-person RPG inspired by King's Field and Shadow Tower - now on Early Access

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_d25a1e7e2547301024624f45c480d523f3816094.1920x1080.jpg

ss_bddfb991a4d046590ff0b0849ce5769b509bb098.1920x1080.jpg

Lunacid is a first person dungeon crawler inspired by old FROMSOFT games like Shadow Tower and King’s Field.

Long ago a great beast arose from the sea and covered the earth in a poison fog. Now those deemed undesirable are thrown into a great well, which has become a pit of chaos and disease. You awaken in a moonlit subterranean world, having been thrown into the Great Well for crimes unknown. The only way out is to go further down and confront the sleeping old one below. On the way there will be many creatures and secrets to discover.

Why Early Access?
“Balancing and optimizing a full scale role playing game is large task. In the past we've gotten great feedback on our games that helped us shape them into a more professional experience and we seek to do the same here. Although each stage of development will go though quality assurance staff prior to release, there are always post mortem issues and small gameplay tweaks that arise after the larger community has gotten to play it.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“It will take about 1 to 2 years for the current planned scope and polish passes to be finished on the game.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The full version will have a completable story and fully fleshed out levels as well as the balancing and suggestions brought by community during early access. Most features such as Merchants and crafting are already in the game, but the implementation will be more realized in the finished game version. As new levels are finished in early access the community will get them as updates until it is decided the game meets are expectations for a final product.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“About 20% of the planned levels have been made. Most features are implemented.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Early access buyers will get the game at a 50% discount compared to the finished release price.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We plan on taking in feedback from the community during early access as we implement new levels and balance enemies and weapons within the game. Also bug reports and general reactions will help us adjust and tweak the game into a better, tighter experience.”

The developer made some first-person horror games like Lost in Vivo. I'm not sure how much of an RPG this will be, but well, let's see.

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

Chances are it will be a better game than Elden Ring at least, if not as good as King's Field or Shadow Tower. Too bad that Indies can't even hope to achieve something like Dark Souls. That's simply too expensive. And we'll never get anything similar from AA devs again.

Old Hans

Arcane
that npc model in the first shot looks a little worrying. looks like something out of some z-list anime

fork

that npc model in the first shot looks a little worrying. looks like something out of some z-list anime

While you're kinda right, I still prefer the worst animu waifus over quest compasses, ubisoft towers and maps filled with pois.

Riskbreaker

I'm surprised that we haven't seen more of these already. What with the current popularity of From and the vogue for retro revivals of all sorts, you'd think there would've been a couple games channeling the PSX-era From RPGs already.
Anyway, bit too early to say anything about this thing but the author's previous game was well received so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

lightbane

Arcane
surprised that we haven't seen more of these already. What with the current popularity of From and the vogue for retro revivals of all sorts, you'd think there would've been a couple games channeling the PSX-era From RPGs already.
The closest thing we got are walking simulators, 1st person adventure games and fixed camera games with allegedly graphics of the PSX era, probably because they're easier to make than proper games like a King's Field clone.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Early access is available now. They say EA version has "6 huge levels".

5 months-old trailer:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Bought on Riskbreaker's recommendation. :shittydog:

Lunacid is legit guys. Rough as fuck as of yet, and utterly unbalanced - melee is pretty much worthless compared to magic and ranged, save, hilariously, for your humble torch due to its ability to put enemies on fire. However, exploration is already great, areas are pretty visually distinct with unique mobs and gimmicks, combat is very promising - you can damage and dismember specific body parts a la ST2.
Here's hoping that the game will garner some attention, and that we'll see more indie stuff inspired by older From (Dread Delusion and Monomyth are still far off by the looks of it).

fork

It's a bit too gay for my tastes. I mean, why does the menu have to be pink exactly?

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
not a fan of the anime influence, but i'm taking the EA risk on this one. looks like it could be kinda comfy, hopefully it gets properly fleshed out..

Barbie

Novice
This game is amazing. I strongly recommended. Played as an vampire caster. Can't wait til lthe final release.

gkPz4Jc.png

I have had this wishlisted since ages, that is good to hear it's not another Graven. What would you compare it to? Is it a dungeon crawler type or how has the medium been applied? How were the rpg mechanics?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Castle Update in Beta
New Castle Update out in open beta

I have released the new update featuring the castle area in the open beta branch. If all goes well then it will release to the public branch in a few days.

To get to the beta branch, right click the game in the steam library and select betas, you should see one labeled open-beta.

But please know that this branch is more likely to have bugs and more experimental/unbalanced content.

Patch notes:
Vampires and Undead lose less blood while bleeding.
Vampires regain blood much slower.
Vampires regain health when attacking living objects that have blood, in melee.
Improved projectile collision.
Snails now have blue blood.
Slimes now have slimy blood.
Demi shows up more.
More Alchemy recipes.
Sheryl now doesn’t run out of vials but will set prices higher after the first 9 have been purchased, depending on how many are in your inventory.
Fixed data saving certain variables on quitting.
Added dynamic audio compression to prevent crazy loud sounds.
Added new areas.
Added new weapons.
Added new magic.
Added new npcs.
Added new enemies.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1745510/view/6507161340667912558
Castle Content Update!
The door to Le Fanu Castle is finally open! With this new update you can find a large new area, and two hidden small areas, each with their own enemies, weapons, spells, and lore to find.

7ae5f1f72d10974d25118666bad04c85eca215e3.png

894e320ad56046063dc21725f1e647a7669af804.png

The vampiric prince Crilall guards the passage ahead. Known for his ruthlessness in defending his mothers’ castle, the dark prince of wings awaits your challenge.

d3f4fa60d2146edefe85a0dc9821ba2d90ff7b7a.png

update notes:
Vampires and Undead lose less blood while bleeding.
Vampires regain blood much slower.
Vampires regain health when attacking living objects that have blood, in melee.
Improved projectile collision.
Snails now have blue blood.
Slimes now have slimy blood.
Demi shows up more.
More Alchemy recipes.
Sheryl now doesn’t run out of vials but will set prices higher after the first 9 have been purchased, depending on how many are in your inventory.
Fixed data saving certain variables on quitting.
Added dynamic audio compression to prevent crazy loud sounds.
Added new areas.
Added new weapons.
Added new magic.
Added new npcs.
Added new enemies.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Boiling Grotto Content Update
The next area is finally here, accompanied by various fixes and improvements.

Patch notes:
Added Boiling Grotto
Added new Weapons
Added new Spells
Added Achievements
Added a 180 turn option for controllers
Added a music volume control setting
Added a player speed cap setting
Added new player art
Finished Sealed Ballroom Music
Changed experience scaling at high levels
Change stat scaling
Fixed Le Fanu Castle lighting
Fixed Chair script making players stuck
Fixed Achievements triggering
Fixed Hemalith Collision
Increased Fountain Drinking delay to avoid sound crash when spammed.

Curratum

I'm REALLY interested in this, and love everything I see, but I don't want to play EA and spoil the full game when it's out.

Fingers crossed it will be done by the end of this year. I mean, it's just a fiver, might as well...

Sacibengala

Prophet
This is no king's field. Don't get the "same" atmosphere, but it's cool. I liked the little I played of it.

Curratum

Never played King's Field, but I bought it anyway. Just reached the forest area and I'm enjoying it reasonably so far. Not as captivating as some might be saying, but definitely good enough to hold my attention.

Curratum

Ah, yes, looking up guides 2 hours into the game - the hallmark of every great title!

The quest to get to the forest canopy for the skull... How was I supposed to notice the random climbable vines on ONE face of a tree in an massive area? I tried climbing from the branches near the top where the bonfire crystal is, but no, the way, counterintuitively, is at the very bottom and on the far end of the huge area...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom