Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

NerevarineKing

Learned
I'm still playing a bunch of 90s FPS games. I recently beat Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, and Blood on Normal difficulty. Blood was definitely the stand-out and it might be my new favorite FPS. The weapons were very unique and fun to use and they also had some really cool alt-fire abilities. The levels were well-designed and had a great atmosphere to them. I really liked the graphical style of the game and the main character was great to hear every time he spoke. The voice actor for Caleb absolutely nailed it. I'll probably be playing Death Wish in the future since it's supposed to be a great set of levels.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'm still playing a bunch of 90s FPS games. I recently beat Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, and Blood on Normal difficulty. Blood was definitely the stand-out and it might be my new favorite FPS. The weapons were very unique and fun to use and they also had some really cool alt-fire abilities. The levels were well-designed and had a great atmosphere to them. I really liked the graphical style of the game and the main character was great to hear every time he spoke. The voice actor for Caleb absolutely nailed it. I'll probably be playing Death Wish in the future since it's supposed to be a great set of levels.

Death Wish is a must-play if you also enjoyed Blood.

Machocruz

Arcane
Got back into New Vegas. Have not once finished the story, and I've had the game since launch. But my Steam copy became unplayable due to some bug that I couldn't find any information on. Bought it years later on GoG, works perfectly. Started a new character with the same goal of doing an NRC run for my first playthrough, switched my tagged skills from Guns, Sneak, Lockpick to Guns, Speech, Repair, as I want to experience the pleasure of playing again and being able get into the places I couldn't before and see what I missed out on. Tempted to start over yet again because Guns (that are usable at my STR level) aren't that interesting and I'm wondering if grass is greener on the Melee or Energy side. Also I wonder if deciding on a faction to side with is premature and limiting for my lvl (17)

Been rolling with Boone and trying to get his quest out of the way so I can move on to other companions, but I don't have enough history points with him to trigger it yet, and I don't want any more meta knowledge about the whole thing than I already have. I know I've missed at least one or two opportunities for points, and I don't want to beat Silus to death in interrogation because it doesn't fit the conception I have of this character. But I'm not going to look up any more information on this, so ultimately I'll just roll with whatever happens. I figure I'll take Boone along whenever I do NCR or anti-Legion related stuff and hopefully I'll get more opportunities to score points with him, and pick other companions for unrelated activities.

Last edited:

fork

Yeah, Hexen and Heretic. Most people only played Doom and now want to try these cult classics they missed, and are disappointed when they realise how fucking bad these other, more niche cult classics are. Two options from here:

1) pretend you love these shit games and score some points among people who were retards back then and still are retards now.

2) be honest and call the games shit, because compared to the most important contemporaries, they are just that: Utter shit.

Now, there's a case to be made for playing these games today, bacause they're better than pretty much everything released recently, but they're still really kinda mediocre at best.

Receiving negative buttons from Codex' subhumans for being honest. I'm starting to enjoy it tbh.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
So I just beat Ultima. What a silly game. I'm obviously late to the party, but WTF, right? Why are those princesses in jail? And the space stuff, my God.

I definitely recommend people play this. It's super short even if you don't know what you are doing and there's something special about the insanity here.

Plus if you ever wondered why so many JRPGs end on an abrupt plot twist about travelling back in time to fight the last boss, the answer is probably this game.

rohand

Cipher
I'm doing a "franchise play" (using that term loosely because nobody actually owns the setting) of Lovecraftian games.

After reading a lot of the books (freely available on the official HP Lovecraft website by the magic of open license) and some of the expanded mythos, I started with Shadow of the Comet, proceeded to Prisoner of Ice and am now playing through Dark Corners of the Earth.

Call-of-Cthulhu-Dark-Corners-of-the-Earth.png

One of the many dark corners of the game. Powered by Sharp Corners of the Earth.

I dread what comes next because I see a lot of bad reviews of the newer games (such as the creatively titled Call of Cthulhu and Moons of Madness). Maybe I should stop after DCotE.

One trend I see repeated is that people really love to adapt Shadow over Innsmouth. Comet did it, Dark Corners is doing it again and I know for a fact that some of the newer ones also do it.
There are several indies in that situation such as The Innsmouth Case and Chronicles of Innsmouth.

I don't know about Stygian, may try that. Also heard some good things about Conarium and Darkness Within?

I wish somebody would adapt the Dream series, especially Unknown Kadath and also the Color out of Space would make a phenomenal survival horror title.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Yakuza 5 remastered.Like the previous game it has multiple protagonists,5 this time to go along with title of the game,thankfully they didn't go for 6 in Y6 but just back to Kiryu.You get Kiryu,Sajima,Akiyama, a new character,an ex baseball player called Shinada and Haruka becomes a playable character for the first time in the series.Her gameplay is different than the guys' as you might imagine,she doesn't beat up people but has some rythm game dance and song battles since she is trying to become a teen pop idol.The other 4 are what you might expect although it feels a bit smoother than 3 and 4.The game is quite big,you get 5 cities to visit inculding Kamurocho,Sotenbori and 3 new ones,there is a lot of content here among all the cities and characters,perhaps the most in the whole series.Akiyama gets the short stick since he shares his pasrt/story with Haruko and he doesn't get a dedicated side storie like the other 4.This is also the only game you can actually drive around and even race since Kiryu is hiding as a taxi driver at the beginning of the game.Graphics wise there is a noticable improvement compared to 4 since they moved to to a new engine.The story is complicated as you might expect since it tries to combine 5 characters,they manage to weave all 5 narratives into one a bit better than they did in 4 although there are some things who feel a bit off.Overall an improvement over 4 in almost all departments but is has some weaknesses.Recommended.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rohand Anchorhead is a good adventure game which sticks very closely to the Lovecraft spirit and mythos. Worth a try if you can stomach interactive fiction.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wish somebody would adapt the Dream series, especially Unknown Kadath and also the Color out of Space would make a phenomenal survival horror title.
You're in luck, but about to be disappointed. There's an adaption of Kadath, but its a literal CYOA from 1979.
Also, a suggestion, I've heard good things about Hound of Shadows and Daughter of Serpents, by Eldritch Games. I don't think Daughter of Serpents is based on an actual Lovecraft story though.

Wunderbar

Arcane
One trend I see repeated is that people really love to adapt Shadow over Innsmouth. Comet did it, Dark Corners is doing it again and I know for a fact that some of the newer ones also do it.
There are several indies in that situation such as The Innsmouth Case and Chronicles of Innsmouth.
I guess that's because running away from a pitchfork-wielding mob is very exciting. Stuart Gordon adapted it in "Dagon".

curds

Magister
Been playing a decent amount of Nioh lately, the first """"Souls-like"""" (I hate that term) I've played aside from the actual Souls games themselves.

It's pretty great on the whole, but it has its ups and downs.

Samurai theme is cool.

Combat is really fun, faster than the DS games. I would say there is more depth to combat than in the Souls games, too. You have your standard light and heavy attacks, but also three stances, which respectively offer higher damage, improved blocking and improved dodging. You'll need to change up your stance constantly to be effective in combat. There are skill trees for each weapon type that let you unlock combos, special attacks and shit which help differentiate the combat from DS. You also get a ninjutsu skill, which essentially amounts to just crafting shit like poisons and shuriken (doesn't offer additional moves or anything, as far as I can tell). There is a magic skill, too, but I don't think you can cast actual magic spells, it's more about crafting talismans and such.

Level design ranges from okay (most of the underground levels) to pretty damn good (the first level in the village after the tutorial).

There are "side-missions" whose only purpose is clearly just to pad out the length of the game. You will get sent back to an area you've already cleared and have to clear it again for minor rewards. Each area gets reused like 2-4 times, pretty tiresome.

Storyfags not only need not apply, but should turn and run the other way. The story is barely coherent. I don't care, but some might.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THABKS FOR THE NIOH IMPRESSIONS IVE ACTULLY BOUGHT THE GAME PRE FAGPASS SO WHO KNOWS WHEN I GET AROUND TO IT

BROS HADES
BROS I GET A BONER FOR ALL THE ROUGELICK STUFF BUT FUCKIBG SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING

I LOVED DEAD CELLS AND THOUGHT IT WAS AWESOME BUT HOLY SHIT HADES MAKES ALL THE OTHERS LOOKS LIKE A RETARD GAME

THIS GAME DESERVES EVERY TEN OUT OF TEN FAGGOT GAME JOURNALIST REVIEW IT GOT

THE MECHANICS ARE AWESOME AND THEY EVEN PUT A MOTHERFUCKING STORY WITH COMPETENT VOICE ACTING IN

WELL SEE HOW LONG IT GOES BUT HOLY SHIT ITS A FUN RIDE

IN OTHER NEWS BRO A VASSAL OF SWADIA IS GRADUALLY BUILDING HISB POSITION IN CALADRIA

THREE MOTHERFUCKERS ARE AT WAR WITH SWADIA SO GETTING MY SHIT TOGETET IS HARD BUT I AM SUCKING UP HARLAUS ASS AND GETTING LOTS OF FEEFS

IVE GOT UXHAUL AND A CASTLE AND THREE TOWNS CANT WAIT TO TELL HARLAUS TO GET FUCKED

I'm doing a "franchise play" (using that term loosely because nobody actually owns the setting) of Lovecraftian games.

After reading a lot of the books (freely available on the official HP Lovecraft website by the magic of open license) and some of the expanded mythos, I started with Shadow of the Comet, proceeded to Prisoner of Ice and am now playing through Dark Corners of the Earth.

Call-of-Cthulhu-Dark-Corners-of-the-Earth.png

One of the many dark corners of the game. Powered by Sharp Corners of the Earth.

I dread what comes next because I see a lot of bad reviews of the newer games (such as the creatively titled Call of Cthulhu and Moons of Madness). Maybe I should stop after DCotE.

I don't know about Stygian, may try that. Also heard some good things about Conarium and Darkness Within?

Control, though not a survival horror game, took heavy influence from A Color Out of Space.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm playing fallout tactics, and I'm experiencing a really weird bug on the Springfield mission.
If I make a save and reload it at a certain point (around the square with the podium) the squad UI changes and the only tabs are for 3 of my characters instead of six.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Playing the new Life is Strange: True Colors. It's not forced woke. There's some miscenegation (hispanic dark-skinned female), gratuitous gay background NPCs, a weed shop, and protagonist can decide to act bisexual. But nothing as forced as LiS 2 or Tranny: The Dilation.

No idea if it's any good yet. Doesn't seem to have the same old LiS charm.

Unwanted

CancerUnlimited

Unwanted
Playing the new Life is Strange: True Colors. It's not forced woke. There's some miscenegation (hispanic dark-skinned female), gratuitous gay background NPCs, a weed shop, and protagonist can decide to act bisexual. But nothing as forced as LiS 2 or Tranny: The Dilation.

Your mason/pharisees regents are going to make you a gay/cuck out of you and you're not even going to notice! Don't slip!

Playing Stellaris 1.9.2 (with mods).

Poseidon00

Arcane
There was some buzz about some MUGEN clone of classic MK called Defenders of the Earth and its ass. Weird roster choices, inconsistent art style, super high definition background with terrible messy sprites on top.

No need to fix whats not broken, MK Trilogy and UMK3 are the best of the classic MK games. Abusing Rain's weather ball or Noob Saibot's teleport and long range combo game is fun even on a casual level against the AI.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I liked Ultima so much I immediately dived into Ultima 2.

I'm playing the DOS versions. Ultima 2 on DOS is one of those games that have CGA graphics meant for composite monitors that don't look right on regular DOSBox. I started playing the game and it immediately bothered the heck out of me. Looking for a way to make the game look less awful I stumbled upon the Ultima 2 Upgrade Patch, which not only gives the game a bunch of graphical options but also changes some gameplay and quality of life stuff.

Being a maniac, I'm deeply bothered by the changes to the original material and didn't feel like using it. Instead, I'm going with the unpatched game and a patched version of DOSBox I found here which enables a very rudimentary CGA composite effect that blends quite nicely with the primitive nature of the game.

As I went through the motions, I kept trying to begin a playthrough and ended up not only dying but auto saving next to where I died so I had no way to continue. And in the unpatched game I have to edit a save file every time I want to start a new character, one of the things the Upgrade Patch fixes btw. It also disables the auto saves. So as I write this I'm seriously considering going back to the patched version.

Anyway, the game is a way, way harder than the first one.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Your mason/pharisees regents are going to make you a gay/cuck out of you and you're not even going to notice! Don't slip!

Not as good as LiS, or even BTS. At least the last episode made me feel some human emotions, however sparse. Can't say the same about LiS 2.

Sure seems like DONTNOD were a one-hit wonder. They've hit it big with LiS, but fucked up

- Remember Me
- Vampyr
- LiS 2
- Tell Me Why (didn't even bother as there's a tranny protagonist)

and now LiS TC. Too bad.

newtmonkey

Arcane
samuraigaiden
I played through Ultima 1 a few years back and really enjoyed it for what it is. I liked it so much I decided to play U2, but really could not stand it. It's such a broken mess of a game. If the unpatched version came from GOG or the Ultima Collection, it's even more broken because the map files for planets other than Earth have been deleted! I would definitely recommend playing the patched version, just so you are sure the planet map files are okay (and to disable the autosave function). I am pretty certain the latest patch even has an optional tileset that mimics the composite CGA colors.

The C64 version is worth looking into. It doesn't autosave, and I found it to be somewhat better balanced than the DOS version as more enemies seemed to spawn near the player. I was actually able to get quite far playing honestly (i.e. no stealing food, etc.) on that version.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I must admit I've never been even tempted to try Ultima 0-2.

Ultima 1 really deserves a spin. It's a surprisingly enjoyable 8-bit RPG sandbox.

If the unpatched version came from GOG or the Ultima Collection, it's even more broken because the map files for planets other than Earth have been deleted!

:abyssgazer:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom