Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Surviving Mars - colony management sim from Tropico devs

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Does the game have copious amounts of gay romances to make up for it?
Nope. Devs're too Eastern European for that. There're 3 genders: "male", "female" and "other", with "other" constituting about 1-2% of pops (it's possible to relocate them to a specific dome for starvation and suffocation if you want to). I don't remember seeing gay pairs, but I paid no attention. There's no friendship-enmity system ingame. Kids spawn from heterosexual pairs on timer if parents are comfy enough. And from cloning vats (or whatever they're called).
There's also a megachallenge setup you can create for yourself, in which you're able to launch only one vessel from Earth with 7 colonists and have to breed them into hundreds on timer.

Meet the New Team
This's nice. Maybe they will turn the game into a shooter or smth.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That's bad, I wanted to make a LP how the first settlement is transgender republic of Mars, that would have been fun.

I wanted Mars to be a better world. No sistemic raicsm, no patriarky, only stronk womens, lgbtpc everywhere and everyone could chose their gender. It would have been heaven.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Incoming transmission~

Commanders, get ready to explore the Martian depths and extract precious minerals from the elusive asteroids in this brand new DLC for Surviving Mars!

Below & Beyond pushes the limits of what is possible on the Red Planet. Expand your horizons with additional buildings, more resources, and a cavernous world full of mysteries. You can tunnel beneath the surface and construct subterranean bases below the colony and in nearby underground caves. Or you can attach rocket-propelled buildings to passing asteroids and mine exotic resources, but you’ll need to make it back to the Red Planet’s surface before the asteroid leaves orbit or else you lose your stuff and your colonists.

The DLC will launch on September 7th on all available platforms.

Key Features
  • Back to the Bases - Expand your colony into caves and lava tubes under the surface. Players can use existing structures, or underground-specific buildings to build a base for exploration. Expand with caution, potential cave-ins can destroy everything.
  • Mine Your Own Business - Players can now go below the surface and beyond the red planet for resource mining. Construct special rocket-propelled buildings to mine resources, including exotic minerals and Data Samples, on passing asteroids. Don’t stick around too long or else the Asteroid will drift away with your stuff!
  • Branching Paths - The Recon and Expansion research tree unlock additional buildings, vehicles, upgrades, and locales. They will also unlock asteroid mining and tunnel colonization.

Launching alongside Below & Beyond is the Mars Lifestyle Radio. The pack includes 16 original tracks from four different artists, for 70 minutes of chill roving tunes.

W1pA4GEVTzkXfjRVQVeFF7z9coDjFYdDQ1VWIQAvVu5KwTQB6i3-IT1W3I2_sRpSAhebJyv5HB1wYqFEP5Hr8LDxJqwD2vOVL-7ogC9WB-Gtgwcghz64LX5mvCZ5B_BtJn-pLyEj=s0

vinyl.survivingmars.com until September 7.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
These guys are going along the city skylines model, just adding endless nonsense to the game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
ss_5caa7fe497edc58c0442b9623e963f92524782bf.1920x1080.jpg
ss_8af829f9535550e9447b9624b40834619e154509.1920x1080.jpg

Hellraiser

Arcane

I assume the large cylindrical structure in the top-tight is a lander of somekind.

The description is a bit vague on what is a passing asteroid, but I figure it is not a bad abstraction of belt asteroids with good enough phasing angles to Mars or vice versa. I mean not like the earth to mars logistics wasn't already very abstracted to just a fixed amount of time.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Welcome, Commander!

It appears you requested an update on how we developed the new Below and Beyond project. The name’s Elmer Lexmond designer on the Below and Beyond planning and development team, nice to meet you! I’m here to give you a peek behind the curtain. On the agenda today is Mining Asteroids!

Let me start you off with a quick summary. We have developed a new building, the Recon Center which lets us track Asteroids that pass in close proximity to Mars. You can visit these tracked asteroids with our brand-new Asteroid Landers, rockets designed to land in conditions that would be impossible for our standard Supply Rockets. Once there, we have a limited amount of time to mine as many resources as possible and leave the asteroids before it is too far away from Mars to make the return trip. We will need specialized Micro-G Auto Extractors at first, but we can eventually get permits to send the personnel that can populate our more efficient Micro-G Mining Stations.

Why the asteroids you ask? First off, because 86% of colonists think asteroids are “very cool”, and secondly because creating these short-term mining bases in an isolated location is a completely different challenge from anything we have done on the surface of Mars so far. You will have to work with limited resources, irregular building space, and a specific time window, but the reward is also different. You invest resources on a mission to get access to an abundance of materials, such as the newly discovered Exotic Minerals that are exclusive to asteroids. This makes visiting asteroids a perfect opportunity for when you are developing a project on the Martian surface that requires some time to finish. To make our vision come true, we started by developing the asteroids themselves. Our goal was to make each asteroid feel unique. We created various asteroid types based on existing classifications of asteroids. Each type has a different spread of resources available and a different rate at which they can appear. A C-type asteroid for instance is much more common than the elusive X-Type. We also created different looks for the asteroids based on the main resources available on them. Combine this with various pre-authored maps to get a diverse mix of asteroids that require different strategies each time around.

" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; max-width: 100%; color: rgb(216, 216, 216); font-family: "Source Sans Pro", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "Fira Sans", "Droid Sans", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(58, 42, 50); cursor: pointer;">
5bLzzXDwC3dwIr9UBi91fJovrjen2E2U6PVcBvxB0qB0oMAoQbbOS_0eqUaviH6PqKdAoL2zFtBM_RQj76ygbz3AGS3r6ipA6LOWpXdlGhSvpUAsBX0zeCpsLW53TBy_YpamjtLf=s0

With all this in place, we called upon our test commanders to run simulated missions. We got a wide range of results, but most prominent of all was the sentiment that managing multiple locations at the same time was quite taxing for most commanders. After investigating further, we learned that one of the biggest problems was setting up the Asteroid Landers for their trip back to Mars. To be successful our commanders needed to update the cargo request on the Asteroid Lander frequently to get it loaded before the time on the asteroid ran out. To remedy this, we created an AutoLoad function where commanders can set their preferences and let the rocket AI update the cargo request continuously based on the specifications and what is available on the asteroid. The second problem was the need to launch the rocket manually. To relieve some of the stress of trying to launch the rocket at the perfect moment, we gave the rocket an AI subroutine to launch automatically when the time limit on the asteroid was reached, regardless of whether the current cargo request was fully completed. You should thank our testers, commander, they saved you a lot of stress by running these simulations before we rolled the project out to you!

Do you want to know what was my favourite part of creating the asteroids? I must say I had a lot of fun working on the naming convention for them! We took cues from how they are named and classified on earth and tailored them to be more appropriate for our purposes. You will find that our team added some creative new names to the vast list of existing asteroid names already out there!

Well, I’m sure I’ve covered pretty much everything, not to mention I’m in dire need of a coffee break. But worry not, there are more dev diaries on the horizon! According to the schedule, the next one will delve deeper into the development of the Martian Underground. I highly recommend you’ll join us again for that one, there will be some very interesting things explained there. It’ll go into further detail on why Exotic Minerals are worth all this trouble. In the meantime, please watch our instructional video on Asteroid Mining, it might help you to not lose some of that pricy new equipment to the dark void of space.

Until next time Commander and I hope to see you on our first real asteroid mission soon!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
These guys are going along the city skylines model, just adding endless nonsense to the game.
Seems you were right, it got released and everyone hates it, the tunnels and asteroids are considered useless, nothing to see there except for a few story events. Not to mention how much it broke the game, already existing stuff is broken. It's a shame, I was so hyped to play it. Whelp, at least I still have Green Mars to play again.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Seems you were right, it got released and everyone hates it, the tunnels and asteroids are considered useless, nothing to see there except for a few story events. Not to mention how much it broke the game, already existing stuff is broken. It's a shame, I was so hyped to play it. Whelp, at least I still have Green Mars to play again.
Green Mars is cool. But unfortunately by the time you can effectively terraform you have already beat the game..

careless necro.

mastered in 3 days, crippling devastating gamebreaking bugs, not really much choice in what to do, a game based on logistics and they're made a nightmare by the interface. and this is supposed to be the best sci-fi city builder available. this makes me a sad panda.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, the gameplay is really not that compelling, not much longevity in the game at all. Replayed it recently.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I fire it up from time to time, some of the mysteries make for nice scenario but indeed the economy and "simulation" system lack enough depth and variety resulting in very samey experiences. From a Mars or really any other space colony building game I would expect at least a few more options on how to get oxygen (exotic chemistry to extract O2 from Martian dust and hydrolysis), some kind of dichotomy between efficient recycling and extraction. The terraforming kind of gives some alternatives (getting atmo up for better windfarms or getting water levels up for better moisture capture), but it is too grindy.

Some of the sponsors kind of address it, but the problem still remains that once you pick a sponsor you are locked into a particular development path and can't improvise much. Likewise a more open tech tree would help. The randomizer options for it are nice, but the core problem is you can't rush critical tech like say deep water extraction.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
but indeed the economy and "simulation" system lack enough depth and variety resulting in very samey experiences.
I really don't think moar complexity = better game. We all have our own thresholds and SM is perfect for me. Fucking love this game, it's in my Top 20 of the last decade. I know you like ONI but that game's complexity is over my natural limit, I admire it but don't enjoy it at all. Just too much shit to juggle for my dumb ass. I'd assume we could find a game that would be too complex for you too?

As for the "samey experiences", very much disagreed. You have an entire planet to play with, there is truckload of combinations of sponsors, elevations, water deposits, resources density, danger level, buildable land, mysteries and that's just the sandbox (plus there's the underground/asteroid expansion now, it's shit but at the very least it further raises the level of complexity). There are also tons of goal-oriented scenarios, some of them p. challenging. I played the game for a couple of years on/off before I finally got bored. That's a good run in my book.

the core problem is you can't rush critical tech like say deep water extraction.
You absolutely don't need any of those powerful techs early, so you don't need to rush them. You have plenty of options for water/resources/power for your budding colony (or at least you have tools to find them beforehand so you're not landing blind).

Hellraiser

Arcane
You absolutely don't need any of those powerful techs early, so you don't need to rush them. You have plenty of options for water/resources/power for your budding colony (or at least you have tools to find them beforehand so you're not landing blind).

Do you have plenty of options? Water is very much a RNG thing with a binary outcome, either you spam moisture vaporators or you build less of them because you have a deposit in a convenient location. Unlike nearly everything else you can't trade for it (in the DLC) or import it for cash (robotic caravans of ice blocks Red Mars style would have been nice...). Also my general problem is with the research being so restrictive, it's not really a tech tree, more like 6 (IIRC) separate trunks with no branches where more often than not you end up developing "filler" tech you don't really need, unless you get a bunch of anomalies revealing advanced tech allowing you to skip the filler.

Metal, concrete and other resources kind of give you a choice to make cash and import them using the cash, but that's not sustainable in the long run. The economy/game is designed around the player having access to everything locally and resource density is more of a speed bump (and possibly not even that effective) rather than a trigger for a change of play style. The only thing that changes is the exact location of where you place domes first, but the general strategy regarding those resources and development doesn't. Space Race added trading between colonies and that kind of helps, but it's also not that reliable since the AI prefers to sell you basic resources. You can't really decide to skip machine parts factories and specialize in something else, getting machine parts exclusively from the outside. And colony trading is anyway a DLC mechanic with the game designed around not having the option to trade with other colonies.

Power is the best designed area where there are clear trade-offs and multiple factors to consider when going for one option or the other. This is how the other resources should have been addressed.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is a very good game. It even has more players than sequel - surviving the aftermatch. Which is ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom