Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Dev Diary #7 - Story of the Worldwound

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How does this compare to the source material (pnp)? I recall the path series had quite a bit of modules. Can't say I've ever read one. (Well each series had a few books). I do recall some of the forum blather on the 3.5 Paizo Pathfinder 1 series storm. I know nothing of Pathfinder 2.

So... lesbian NPCs in games is your trigger? That's it? This is the great woke tyranny we need to be afraid of? Bunch of fucking snowflakes man.

If you pass a skill-check later in the game you will learn that the mysterious and very-expensive medical operation (and the reason she and the orc constantly talk about how poor they are) she “needed” to have done was gender reassignment surgery. It’s a bit of derpy writing that feels very virtue-signally, but yeah, the resident culture warriors are unsurprisingly giving it far more thought than the game does.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

So... lesbian NPCs in games is your trigger? That's it? This is the great woke tyranny we need to be afraid of? Bunch of fucking snowflakes man.

If you pass a skill-check later in the game you will learn that the mysterious and very-expensive medical operation (and the reason she and the orc constantly talk about how poor they are) she needed to have done was gender reassignment surgery. It’s a bit of derpy writing that feels very virtue-signally, but yeah, the resident culture warriors are unsurprisingly giving it far more thought than the game does.

Honestly I think its more the fact you can't tell them to fuck off. Making them advisors and central to the story really makes the SJW background stuff way more aggravating than it otherwise would be. It's like if the whole Octavia/Regongar love triangle/cuckery thing was an obligatory main quest in Kingmaker.

If you pass a skill-check later in the game you will learn that the mysterious and very-expensive medical operation (and the reason she and the orc constantly talk about how poor they are) she needed to have done was gender reassignment surgery. It’s a bit of derpy writing that feels very virtue-signally, but yeah, the resident culture warriors are unsurprisingly giving it far more thought than the game does.

Honestly I think its more the fact you can't tell them to fuck off. Making them advisors and central to the story really makes the SJW background stuff way more aggravating than it otherwise would be. It's like if the whole Octavia/Regongar love triangle/cuckery thing was an obligatory main quest in Kingmaker.

Er, what? You can very definitely ruin their lives and completely fuck them over depending on your mythic path.

Ol'man

Educated
Sounds like it's a sequel that sold on the strength of the original and will drop in sales once people see how bad the sequel is.
Nah. Deadfire captured this exact group quite well and it sold miserably. This “audience” is not very sizable.

We'll see. Just keep in mind that the first PoE sold quite well. If Pathfinder follows the same pattern, it will be this game's sequel that will suffer from poor sales.

If that was a wager I wouldn't make it. Wotr would need to experience a truely massive crash in popularity. Steam:

PoE1 all time peak 7 years ago: 41,906
PoE2 all time peak 3 years ago: 22,744

PF:KM all time peak 3 years ago: 22,643
PF:WotR all time peak this week: 44,000+

The 24 peak difference between PoE1/2 is +100 players (and under 1k, total). The 24 peak difference between PF:KM/PF:wotr is around 38,000+ players.

Zeriel

Arcane

Er, what? You can very definitely ruin their lives and completely fuck them over depending on your mythic path.

Fair enough. I suppose it's an example of people not having faith that the options would be there after the first few chapters.

Sounds like it's a sequel that sold on the strength of the original and will drop in sales once people see how bad the sequel is.
Nah. Deadfire captured this exact group quite well and it sold miserably. This “audience” is not very sizable.

We'll see. Just keep in mind that the first PoE sold quite well. If Pathfinder follows the same pattern, it will be this game's sequel that will suffer from poor sales.

If that was a wager I wouldn't make it. Wotr would need to experience a truely massive crash in popularity. Steam:

The 24 peak difference between PoE1/2 is +100 players (and under 1k, total). The 24 peak difference between PF:KM/PF:wotr is around 38,000+ players.

Yeah, the fundamental difference between PoE and KM/WOTR is Pathfinder/OpenSRD. If Kingmaker had been homebrew like PoE or newfangled D&D I doubt it would have done as well. Pathfinder may be somewhat diluted compared to ancient 2E or 3E D&D, but it still has enough of the fundamentals there to be really satisfying gameplay wise. That was my initial impressions of KM on release day years ago here too: "I don't know what is to come, but the simple fact this scratches this old-fashioned D&D itch puts it heads and shoulders above anything else being released today."

Dycedarg

Learned

I think WotR's success is pretty much guaranteed at this point. My reasoning is that even if there is backlash against this game, which right now seems rather unlikely, it would probably be felt when Owlcat releases it's sequel, i.e. Pathfinder 3. That's what happened in PoE between the original game and Deadfire. The original game sold really well, has an 87% positive rating on steam and was incredibly well received by the games media. But despite all those positive signs, it's sequel, Deadfire, wasn't able to perform according to Obsidian's expectations. We still don't know why that happened, but one poster in this thread suggested it might be related to Sawyer's autism:

Pillars of Eternity 2 sold badly because the systems for the first one were over developed and un-fun. Josh Sawyer required the players to think and experiment a lot in order to never feel powerful or accomplished.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've seen a few people complaining that this game is a woke screed. I just finished the first chapter and I don't know what the fuck they're talking about. You meet a prominent woman orc soldier who's a lesbian... and so far, that's it. It's not even an issue that she's a lesbian, she's not telling you to check your privilege and listen to her Melissa Ethridge mixtape. The only reason you know she's a lesbian is that her wife is also a soldier who helps you in the prologue. You can ask her about the relationship in dialogue - or not. My god. A butch woman soldier happens to like chicks. How shocking.

(Besides, all female orcs are canonically lesbians - where were they in Lord of the Rings? That's right, too busy fucking each other to join the fight)

Does Act 2 feature a transgender stripper coming out of a birthday cake to tell me about the necessities of Critical Race Theory? I'm genuinely curious, where is all this woke shit? Or is a butch lesbian soldier all it takes to be considered woke now?

It has nontrivial number of queers and degenerates, but so did Kingmaker. I imagine that when they release a third game, people will once again forget and complain about the number of queers and degenerates in that one.

dacencora

I think WotR's success is pretty much guaranteed at this point. My reasoning is that even if there is backlash against this game, which right now seems rather unlikely, it would probably be felt when Owlcat releases it's sequel, i.e. Pathfinder 3. That's what happened in PoE between the original game and Deadfire. The original game sold really well, has an 87% positive rating on steam and was incredibly well received by the games media. But despite all those positive signs, it's sequel, Deadfire, wasn't able to perform according to Obsidian's expectations. We still don't know why that happened, but one poster in this thread suggested it might be related to Sawyer's autism:

Pillars of Eternity 2 sold badly because the systems for the first one were over developed and un-fun. Josh Sawyer required the players to think and experiment a lot in order to never feel powerful or accomplished.
My reply was meant to say: No, Pathfinder’s audience is NOT only trannies, furries, and LGBTQ-whatever that play RPGs. That audience was well catered to in Deadfire and it sold horribly. There is a wider audience that purchased and played WOTR and Kingmaker.

Psquit

Arcane
But it's satisfying, also your evil choices will make them seethe early on. Wish the game was more polished.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I think it's the opposite. Owlcat has found it's audience, which should be a mixture of furries, trannys and critical role fans. It turns out that most of the Codex are not part of this rainbow coalition.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/forums/general-rpg-discussion.4/?order=reply_count

Idk, the Wrath of the Righteous threads are some of the most popular threads in the history of RPG Codex.

It's more likely this entire internet forum is nothing but latent (slavic) homosexuals, projecting nonstop.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Idk, the Wrath of the Righteous threads are some of the most popular threads in the history of RPG Codex.
It's the controversy. The thread is basically 5 or 6 (yes, probably homosexual) slavs arguing with anyone that criticizes the game or its LGBT propaganda.

Humbaba

Arcane

I think it's the opposite. Owlcat has found it's audience, which should be a mixture of furries, trannys and critical role fans. It turns out that most of the Codex are not part of this rainbow coalition.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/forums/general-rpg-discussion.4/?order=reply_count

It's more likely this entire internet forum is nothing but latent (slavic) homosexuals, projecting nonstop.

Or it's just that most of us are grown adults that have developed the brain capacity to overlook something as trivial as fag side characters and are not the right-wing equivalent to gender obsessed social justice wahhabis.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's the controversy. The thread is basically 5 or 6 (yes, probably homosexual) slavs arguing with anyone that criticizes the game or its LGBT propaganda.

It really depends on how much one is willing or able to "hold one's nose" wrt the woke crap suffusing the game. If one does, the game is good - in terms of build, combat gameplay, everything that matters, it's fine (setting aside the bugs, beta testing "releases," etc., etc,. questions).

Also, the writing in and of itself is pretty good in places - I commented on it a while ago in the main thread, but the phenomenon here is that the people making this aren't quite as far gone as their Western equivalents would be (or more accurately, perhaps, are forced to be by their ambient culture), they still understand the principle of story and character for story and character's sake, they haven't yet gotten to the stage that Western designers have gotten to, where it's almost like the activism/preaching is the main point and story/character development can go hang. The writing also looks at the woke crap from the sympathetic/humanist point of view - an attitude that wokeism in the West went way past roundabout 2014, to the point that now everything is looked at purely from the systemic oppressor/oppressed class analysis point of view (or rather, again to speak more accurately, that's now the constraint on writing that writers have to follow, for fear of losing their jobs).

I wish them the best of luck, while the feat system is a pain in the behind I enjoy the game as much as I did kingmaker :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
codex times ago: ah kickstarter, mcas fargos zitses save us from decline

2021: ok so GOTY are: you can have bugged broken mess of a russian baldurs gate (fox companion), or a bugged broken mess of a russian fallout (fox companion + cat ears item)

let's vote

checkmate california

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom