Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

grimer

Learned
Do I actually have to engage in all this class switching bullshittery to beat the game?
no. the wizardry games were designed with single-classed characters in mind, only using class-changing to unlock elite classes that were unavailable during character creation. typically you wouldnt be able to start with ninjas or monks in your party unless you were incredibly lucky with your bonus point roll due to high attribute requirements.

in wizardry 6 your carrying capacity and spell point regen rate are determined by your starting class and str and vit scores**. spellcasters have higher sp regen (smth like +3 in some realms +2 in others depending on the class), str and vit govern carrying capacity (vit contributes half as much as str) and due to some coding error? vit also provides a bonus to sp regen (16 vit for +1, 17 vit for +2, 18 vit for +3). for this reason id advise you to start your hybrid characters as their corresponding spellcaster classes (e.g. priest->lord) and invest some points towards str and vit. dont start your samurai/bard as a mage or youll miss out on exclusive gear like samurai armor or lute (there is no point in playing a bard if you dont have this).

you could also use class-changing to learn new skills particularly ninjutsu and kirijutsu as well as gain extra skill points (more of an issue in wizardry 7) but any more than that is abusing the system and i wouldnt recommend that for your first playthrough. personally i prefer when each character fulfills a specific role in the party instead of 6 mondblutian abominations with max skills, spells, thac0, etc.

**these issues were fixed in wizardry 7 where your carrying capacity and sp regen rate are recalculated when you change class or gain/lose attributes. also pie now governs sp regen rate instead of vit.

some other things i want to talk about regarding wizardry 7 but ill save it for when you get around to playing it. you could also search kmonster's posts here or in the abandonia forums for a more detailed explanation of the mechanics in both games. sry for the wall of text lol

Jason Liang

Arcane
**these issues were fixed in wizardry 7 where your carrying capacity and sp regen rate are recalculated when you change class or gain/lose attributes. also pie now governs sp regen rate instead of vit.

Some relevant sections from the faq that kmonster linked:
Regardless of whether you apply this hack or not, your characters' base mana
generation rates are set in stone at game start. Each of the six magic realms
has its own regeneration rate.

Thus, in order for all characters to have a decent mana regeneration rate, all
characters need to start as either faeries, as one of the pure spellcasting
classes, or have high starting Vitality.

Mana regeneration in Wizardry VII will actually adjust during the game upon
class changes and adjust to statistics when you level up, so while your current
class does affect mana regeneration upon transfer, it is not a major long-term
consideration.
... however, I would be more comfortable with a second source to confirm the above. In fact, kmonster has stated the way that I've always seen it described:
When thinking about how to export best into W7 the regeneration rate is most important, it's set at the start of W7 and never changed afterwards. You can see the regeneration rates in my previous post.
If you start W7 as mage with 17 piety and vitality you'll regenerate much faster than if you start as fighter with only 13 piety and vitality even if you switch both to samurai for for example.

Also the relevant section on the hit bonus (i.e. miss chance reduction):
Miss chance can go down if a character gains a level, but only if the following
three criteria are met: (a) The level attained is not higher than 20; once a
character reaches 21st level, that character is forever barred further miss
chance reductions. (b) The level attained is not lower than the highest level
the character has ever achieved. (c) Base miss chance may not drop below 0.

Example: You create a brand new. At level 1 she starts with a miss chance of
100 like everyone else. You advance her to level 8; at each level-up, she gets
a reduction in miss chance (1d4+1 from being a Valkyrie). You then switch her
class to Psionic. While her level drops to 1, her miss chance remains
100-7d4-7. You then advance her to level 11. Her miss chance does not change
until level 8, when she gets a second level 8 miss chance reduction (1d3 for
being a Psionic). The level-ups from 9 to 11 also each reduce her miss chance
by 1d3, making her miss chance at the end of all this equal to 100-7d4-4d3-7.

If you are minmaxing your characters by changing class multiple times, this
ability to double-dip miss chance reductions at maximum achieved level is
something to keep in mind: if you are doing many class changes you should try
to do so at exactly the highest level that character has achieved. This target
can go upward as you reach new areas that give more experience. The game
however sometimes messes up keeping track of what your highest level achieved
is, which makes getting miss chance reductions easier (the bug described in
section 1D(6)).

Also the releveant "blind" playthrough advice succinctly stated:

For reasons listed in previous sections, an optimal starting party will have:
* at least 1 Bard (for the Lute)
* as many other characters as possible Mages or Priests (for the enhanced mana
regeneration capacity, the starting spells, and low initial stat point cost)
* 4-5 female characters
* at least 1 Elf and 1 Faerie (unique racial abilities). Add in at least 1
Mook if you plan to play a party all the way to Wizardry VIII.
(Although I would note that that faq is wrong, at least for Wiz 7, in that you do *not* want to start with a faerie bard since faerie bards do not get the lute. You want to start with an Elf Bard on a character that you don't plan to end up casting spells with much, like a Samurai or Ninja).

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane

Some relevant sections from the faq that kmonster linked:
Regardless of whether you apply this hack or not, your characters' base mana
generation rates are set in stone at game start. Each of the six magic realms
has its own regeneration rate.

Thus, in order for all characters to have a decent mana regeneration rate, all
characters need to start as either faeries, as one of the pure spellcasting
classes, or have high starting Vitality.

Mana regeneration in Wizardry VII will actually adjust during the game upon
class changes and adjust to statistics when you level up, so while your current
class does affect mana regeneration upon transfer, it is not a major long-term
consideration.
... however, I would be more comfortable with a second source to confirm the above. In fact, kmonster has stated the way that I've always seen it described:
When thinking about how to export best into W7 the regeneration rate is most important, it's set at the start of W7 and never changed afterwards. You can see the regeneration rates in my previous post.
If you start W7 as mage with 17 piety and vitality you'll regenerate much faster than if you start as fighter with only 13 piety and vitality even if you switch both to samurai for for example.

Also the relevant section on the hit bonus (i.e. miss chance reduction):
Miss chance can go down if a character gains a level, but only if the following
three criteria are met: (a) The level attained is not higher than 20; once a
character reaches 21st level, that character is forever barred further miss
chance reductions. (b) The level attained is not lower than the highest level
the character has ever achieved. (c) Base miss chance may not drop below 0.

Example: You create a brand new. At level 1 she starts with a miss chance of
100 like everyone else. You advance her to level 8; at each level-up, she gets
a reduction in miss chance (1d4+1 from being a Valkyrie). You then switch her
class to Psionic. While her level drops to 1, her miss chance remains
100-7d4-7. You then advance her to level 11. Her miss chance does not change
until level 8, when she gets a second level 8 miss chance reduction (1d3 for
being a Psionic). The level-ups from 9 to 11 also each reduce her miss chance
by 1d3, making her miss chance at the end of all this equal to 100-7d4-4d3-7.

If you are minmaxing your characters by changing class multiple times, this
ability to double-dip miss chance reductions at maximum achieved level is
something to keep in mind: if you are doing many class changes you should try
to do so at exactly the highest level that character has achieved. This target
can go upward as you reach new areas that give more experience. The game
however sometimes messes up keeping track of what your highest level achieved
is, which makes getting miss chance reductions easier (the bug described in
section 1D(6)).

Also the releveant "blind" playthrough advice succinctly stated:

For reasons listed in previous sections, an optimal starting party will have:
* at least 1 Bard (for the Lute)
* as many other characters as possible Mages or Priests (for the enhanced mana
regeneration capacity, the starting spells, and low initial stat point cost)
* 4-5 female characters
* at least 1 Elf and 1 Faerie (unique racial abilities). Add in at least 1
Mook if you plan to play a party all the way to Wizardry VIII.
(Although I would note that that faq is wrong, at least for Wiz 7, in that you do *not* want to start with a faerie bard since faerie bards do not get the lute. You want to start with an Elf Bard on a character that you don't plan to end up casting spells with much, like a Samurai or Ninja).

That FAQ also mentions that you can start every character as a mage or priest with a bard and then just switch to a "real" class before level 2 even. So I suppose I could just do that and then never class change for the rest of the game? Though it also states that every character should gain access to ninjutsu and kirijutsu which would require additional class changes and now I'm confused. Are ninjutsu and kirijustu actually that essential?

Sinatar

Arbiter
That FAQ also mentions that you can start every character as a mage or priest with a bard and then just switch to a "real" class before level 2 even. So I suppose I could just do that and then never class change for the rest of the game? Though it also states that every character should gain access to ninjutsu and kirijutsu which would require additional class changes and now I'm confused. Are ninjutsu and kirijustu actually that essential?

Is having your characters able to one shot enemies essential with kirijitsu? Yea it's a pretty big deal. Ninjitsu is pretty worthless though.

Jason Liang

Arcane
For Wiz7 purposes, more helpful than essential except a few optional challenge fights. Having your entire party able to turn themselves invisible is a nice, if somewhat cheesey, tactical option. It's not much of a detour to class change first into a Ranger or Bard to get a point of Ninjitsu on each of your characters.

I think you should just play the game as you just described. Either you'll have fun, or you'll quickly get frustrated and figure out organically how much of an edge you are comfortable with (by class switching) to have fun playing the game.

grimer

Learned
Ninjitsu is pretty worthless though.
what??? ninjutsu allows your characters to dodge an attack then backstab the following turn for bonus damage. more importantly it allows characters from the back row to engage in melee without extended weapons. spellcasters can also use it defensively to avoid enemies with extended range or crowd control and cast their spells safely

Sinatar

Arbiter
Ninjitsu is pretty worthless though.
what??? ninjutsu allows your characters to dodge an attack then backstab the following turn for bonus damage. more importantly it allows characters from the back row to engage in melee without extended weapons. spellcasters can also use it defensively to avoid enemies with extended range or crowd control and cast their spells safely

Why take 2 turns to end a battle when you can do it in 1? It's just not worth spending a turn on.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But if some of your characters are hiding under tables and carpets, doesn't that just mean that the non-hiding characters receive all the attacks?
Besides you miss one round attacking when you hide.

grimer

Learned
Why take 2 turns to end a battle when you can do it in 1? It's just not worth spending a turn on.
bc that only applies to trash mobs. ninjutsu is very helpful when fighting tougher encounters such as 3-5 groups of nightgaunts in wizardry 6 or the stronger munk variants in wizardry 7 where each one can cast a debuff on your entire party
But if some of your characters are hiding under tables and carpets, doesn't that just mean that the non-hiding characters receive all the attacks?
if the entire party hides then the enemies skip a turn

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, "if".
If you have high enough skill and if your characters are not so outleveled that high skill is not enough.
I just find it too tedious using the whole party for this, and you don't really need to do it either. I beat 1000 Eyes in Wiz 7 without hiding all my characters.

Last edited:

grimer

Learned
Yes, "if".
If you have high enough skill and if your characters are not so outleveled that high skill is not enough.
I just find it too tedious using the whole party for this, and you don't really need to do it either. I beat 1000 Eyes in Wiz 7 without hiding all my characters.
yea you dont really need it to beat the game (unless youre playing on expert with self-imposed ironman) but i still wouldnt consider ninjutsu worthless

gman42

Scholar
That FAQ also mentions that you can start every character as a mage or priest with a bard and then just switch to a "real" class before level 2 even. So I suppose I could just do that and then never class change for the rest of the game?

This will work, but just keep in mind that one of the other few benefits to just single-classing is getting to keep all of your bonus points from character creation and building from there, and not constantly having them drop to race/class minimums; if you're the type to keep rerolling until you get >25 or something, you'll be throwing most of that right back in the trash when you do the insta-class change. You have to decide if that's worth just having better mana regen.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Wizardry 8 neutered multi-classing a lot that there's only a few edge cases where you would want to do it (unless you want to abuse things and grind 100 stealth etc)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe in the near 300 pages Wizardry Online was covered.

seems it still exists in some manner. HERE

This isn't like any wizardry I've ever seen.

Reality

Learned
My Wizardry Class Review

Greenberg and Woodhead
Wizardry 1
Fighter - can be rolled up quickly, lack of requirements lets you have freedom to use bonus stats on things like Vitaliy and Luck. Lack of spell access doesn't matter when endgame levels are like 13-15
Mage - Mages are your oxygen meter. They spend most fights spamming parry to end their turn quickly but as soon as Man in Robes shows up, it's time for them to nuke on sight - waiting multiple rounds to find out whether its a Mage or Ninja is not acceptable. Later Mages allow you to teleport which turns the game upside down since now you can go as far as possible and leave instead of turning back as soon as your mages are half out of spells to handle the "way out" fights.
Cleric - Silence is actually pretty accurate in the wizardry series which is important with how ruthless enemy spellcasters are. Healing is obviously pseudo manadatory on 1 charather. Status condition cures are his biggest difficulty with the limited slots and how lethal each and every one of them is.
Thief - The poster child of mandatory deadweight - Playing with traps might not sound THAT bad if you are used to late 90s Renaisance RPGs, but your low HP charathers can be instant gibbed, the status oriented traps can probbably only be cured 2-3 times per dungeon visit (you'll have 6-8 slots at the very end of playthrough) and most dreaded of all, forgetting spells - It's a bit of an open secret that all trips to Floor 6+ have one cast of Malor hoarded for the express purpose of leaving and being forced to leave manually is the ultimate delayed death sentence.
Samurai - I think of it as a Mage that actually gets HP... it does learn spells slower, but Mages are getting 1 hit killed by enemy spellcasters on higher floors anyway, so as many times as you are angry at yourself for using them you are thankful.
Lord - Clerics can already wear armor and get high HP, but it does let them get attacks per round - if you could use wiz8 type formations they'd be great, but you often simply don't have open slots for them to actually use their upside. Also the low final level means... the wait till you learn cure poison/ressurect is PRETTY noticable. Best upside is that Clerics "mostly" use their magic for post-battle healing up so a Lord in theory makes better use of time than them.
Ninja - Will take a full hour to roll up... But outrageously godlike. 2 Attacks per round from level 1, 50% behead cap, The many bonuses that having all 17s gives you, AND there is no "Eastern" requirement on your equipment so they can roll around in full plate armor just like the other martials. Ninjas technically have thief abilities but I don't recomend this given the high lethality of traps. Taking a real thief on another charather in a party with a Ninja is hardly a weakness though.
Bishop - Horribly slow spellcaster due to the even odd mage/cleric progression. In Jap wizardies you are often encouraged to bring this dead weight along (similiar to the Thief in this game) because of not being allowed to sell unidentifed equipment... but thankfully we don't have that problem in the English originals.
Wizardry 2
This game requires the most leveling of the original games (19-23 final level) so Samurai and Lords are really well off. The other thing of note is the Knight of Diamond equipment, hopefully only one charather gets the full set, but there's almost no reason NOT to get your full frontline the first 1-2 pieces. So the martial class love might as well extend even to basic Fighters. Low HP backrow charathers are more prone to getting nuked by spells as well.
Wizardry 3
More or less back to he Wizardry 1 Standard since you finish this at lowish level again 12-14. Tries to encourage multiple parties with the Good Party / Evil Party locked areas, but hopefuly you just do good first and kill some friendly monsters. Features a decent amount of key items, but unlike Bradley games they can be "used" while unidentified, so you still don't need a Bishop. Samurai/Lord feel weaker than Wiz 2 due to lack of levels, but certainly aren't bad.

David W Bradley
Wizardry 5
Same Classes as Wiz 1-3 but you need a LOT of levels like in Wiz 2, so Samurai/Lord get a bonus for their long haul potential again. Ninjas have requirements lowered to half 15s half 16s, but now have to use katana/ninja robes only so they are held back a tiny bit compared to before. Both Theifs and Ninjas have a new hide mechanic that lets them attack from backrow, but isn't that important. Thieves also have the new utility of diving in pools of water.(You can do it with other classes if you enjoy 60% instant death) This is also the only game I ever use a Bishop in because it has a huge amount of key items that MUST be identified before use, cost a fortune if done in the town, and often even come in sets of 4 because of the "4 elemental" design of the dungeon.
Wizardry 6
Fighter - The easy class requirements means they no longer have a "time saving" niche over the hybirds anymore, arguably one of the worst classes. (equipment availbility is a bit of a saving grace that benefits Valkyrie and Lord just as much)
Mage - Now get half of the long-term buffs in the game. Their damaging magic is either the best per level, or 2MP more effiecent when damage is tied with other classes (important when realistically you are always powercasting spells at 4-6)
Cleric - Don't really heal better than the new Alchemist/Psionics... However they get the other half of the long ter buffs, and both silence and dispel undead are pretty accurate and valuable (even the first undead encountered tend to have on-hit paralyze/posion effects, so their ARE no trash undead). Banish Demon is a 1/10 crapshoot by comparison, but they've already paid for themself by the time you hit lategame. One other downside is Bradley demoting them to wearing Robes instead of Metal Armor, which annoys me.
Thief - kind of nice to start 1 charathar as because the initial skill points speed up the first 3~ areas, however thieveing skill points ACTUALLY work afer reclassing (in comparison to the Ninja thieving in Wiz 1-5) so you reclass off of them and never look back which is a huge relief if used to classic wizardry
Samurai - Eastern equipment requirement is a tiny hindrance since they don't get a midgame powerspike like FIghter/Valk/Lord but having the best spells makes up for it and endgame they're all basically equal at the top.
Lord - Meeting requirments is a little rough, so they have a bit of a "final reclass" stigma compared to Valkyrie, but they are FINE otherwise. Hugely benfit from Lower level cleric spells being the most important compared to classic wizardry.
Ninja - Critical Cap is now reduced to 20% (although additive above this with on-weapon crit) but you reach it at a lower level than classic wizardry since it's based on skill points instead of level X 2. Still a god, doesn't suffer from lack of equipment in early areas like Samurai despite what some people claim, because they can easily outdo the entire party unarmed in the first 3 major areas.
Bishop - Lets you keep stat minimums while reclassing, but otherwise worse than ever, since you can now identify through a specific identify spell, and thus ANY cleric can replace them outright, as well as reclassing making the "multiple spellbooks" gimmick irrelevant.
Alchemist - Blinding Flash basically fully crowd controls all melee opponets for 3/4 of the game, because it takes FOREVER for enemies to get resistance to "light" based status (seperate from the much more common fire resistance). Otherwise they lean toward cleric, with healing/status condition access. Poison/Deadly Poison ARE basically stronger than the Mage equivalent, but are so MP effiecent that even with multiclassing boosts you basically nuke a boss and then go minutes on empty, while the mage can take back to back normal fights almost freely.
Psionic - Absolutely insnae class requirement kind of puts them outside of the multiclass godhood zone the other spellcaster enjoy. It's basically you run a straight psionic the whole way through or nothing. The "majority of resistances for Fire/Cold are either 0,25,50,125% while for Psionic they are 0,25,75,125% which is a bit of a shame. Notable loss compared to the Mage is basically ALL "ghost" type enemies (skeleton undead usually are equally fire/psionic resistant). The Psions benefits are Priest style access to healing/status condition, Silence
Ranger - Basically an Alchemist with Hitpoints. Notable in being way easier to reclass into than other hybrids. Kind of unfairly itemized and worse than Spear users in the backrow in every way.
Monk - Basically a variant Ninja that doesn't get to loot optional fights to get +2/+3 main/side weapons 3/4 into the game. Up to that point they're basically equal though, and even without the powerspike they're still better than a lot of classes in endgame.
Valkyrie - The new fighter, Having 1 Valk for the Valk exclusive Spear and 2nd Valk for the Greatsword that is technically Fighter/Valk/Lord is basically strictly easier and better than going 1 Valk+1Fighter. Strong early, strong late... spells like Dispel Undead / Silence basically work better off of quantity of casts rather than quality of casts and have little downside being used by them (compare to how sad the Samurai's iceballs/nucluear blast are)
Bard - Carries earlygame like no other class can (even Ninja) with his infinite use sleep. Enemies quickly gain resistance to it even 1 area later but since he also gets mage spells (penalized but still better than Bishop/Samurai) and can fully replace a thief this hardly matters. His lategame instruments look bad on paper but at wiz 6's endgame levels a high cast fireball IS still useful.
Wiz 7
Bard gets way better lategame insturments, so he can be MVP earlygame and lategame now. Psionics gain Dazzling Lights, which is basically the most effiecent instant death spell since it cast at level 3 instead of the typical level 5+ of other classes. Samurai itemization is way less endgame biased. Shop placement makes Rangers not have to stay on tier 2 ammo only for 90% of the game. Cane of Corpus exists now. No major shifts in the best-to-worst classes from Wiz 6.
Romero
Wiz 8
Fighter -Buffed into gamebreaking Godhood. Stamina is now a serious problem for other martials, the always on double damage of berserk can only partially be equalled by others, and Fighter's are unholy tanky.
Mage - Still get half of the long-term buffs. Weaker damage than previous games,(especially lategame) but there are occasional low HP+high damage monsters like Tanto Wasps and their status effects are good.
Cleric - Get half of the long term buffs. Promoted to medium/leather armors (still worse than classic wiz but at least it's not Bradley robe only). Status prevention/curing is their main niche over direct healing. Can even do more damage with the better hammers/flails than other magic charathers can do with spells.
Thief - Now a Heavy hitting damage dealer (only fighter is better). Traps are a joke in wiz 8 and you don't REALLY need the firepower though.
Samurai - Itemization is worse than ever... and even with his best stuff you can't get outright multiplied damage like fighter/thief. Doesn't cripple you but he's become the Wiz 7 FIghter.
Lord - Regen is cute, but regen via accessories is easy to find in wiz 8 Don't get a +25 free skill to anything useful like Valkyrie does. If you consider Diamond Eyes to be his best weapon you CAN get it earlier than a lot of other people's best weapon Just don't think about what Diamond Eyes used by a Fighter would look like compared to him Low level silence/dispel undead niche not as nice as wiz 6-7 because undead practically don't exist anymore, and silence is irrelevant because enemy spellcaster damage is just as nerfed as your own.
Ninja - Critical Cap is now only 10% (on weapon hit is additive to slightly above this)... The MUCH longer duration of fights make the low HP per level that they've always had actually matter for once. Ninjas are still good despite it all, but nobody is going to say they're even top 5 in wiz 8, other than the specific Cane of Corpus Ninja(not a guaranteed drop/harder fight than endgame to begin with so its a victory lap weapon anyway)
Bishop - Can now pick from all 4 magic types, and being more fully skill based instead of a level+skill based helps... although I still get impatient with learning spells compared to normal magic casters
Alchemist - Blinding Flash now causes enemy to retreat and then come back, which is unholy annoying and I think most people will refuse to use it pretty quickly. Lose their overpowered poison/deadly poison from wiz 6-7. Can now make infinite money and wear medium/leather armor. Actually my favorite spellcaster in lategame because having multiple instant death spells and summon elemental works way better than trying to go through the bloated Rapax/Ascenion Peak HP pools. Even the Sling bonus is useful better specilaization than what Lord gets
Psionic - Damage wise is basically just as good as Mage now, Insanity/Fear immunity come up WAY more often than in Bradley's games, Has Status conditions that still work in lategame areas. Gets the healing and status curing part of Cleric(but not all the long term buffs).. Main downside is that Bard basically has access to their most useful spells.
Ranger - Ranger is either terrible or surprisingly good. It all comes down to whether you use the crappy arrows you find everywhere or stock up exclusively with tier 2-3 arrows in town, which is a lot less tedious than it sounds and can easily last like 15 hours before needing to come back.
Monk - Hurt by the critical cap reduction like the Ninja. Kinda discouraged from using because the best RPC (aka 7/8th party member) happens to be one so using one of your own charathers (1-6) as one is redundant. At the end of the day better than Samurai/Lord
Valkyrie - Wins the itemization jackpot even in a non-linear game (you can get tier 2 no matter which direction you go at the left to Trynton / Right to Umpani crossroad) Same for Lategame where you can get one from a common drop or just buy 1 from Bela. Having +25% polarm skill is useful early and late, the death prevention is useful (you do get heaviest armors and high HP per level anyway)
Bard - The Earlygame God continues this time with BOTH sleep and insanity. Almost replaces clerics for direct healing later. Gets medium/leather armor... Through the miracle of the easily obtained Bloodlust Sword and/or Triple Crossbow they can outdamage Samurai/Lord/Rangers at any stage of the game. Only weakness is that they need a magic charather to spam stamina spells on them.
Gadgeteer - Bard but without autowinning everything on Monastery/Arnika Road(most people you ask will say 70% of the game's difficulty). The Gadgets are kinda annoying on a blindplay compared to bard instruments since they are usually 1 piece in early game aerea + 2nd piece in lategame area. The status condition gadgets are mostly worse than status condition bard stuff, but the healing stuff is equally good (ala replace all magic healing). Like the Bard their unique stuff becomes an afterthought once Bloodlust/Triple Crossbow comes into play. Share the need for a magic charather to spam stamina spells on them.

TLDR
Hybird charathers only Great instead of good in Wiz 2,5,6,7 - Basic Charathers are better in 1,3,8. Hybirds in 1,2,3,5 should be used over your Front low slots only and not your backrow slots. Dark Savant Trilogy Bard is god for some reason that defies the logic of every D&D based CRPG.

gman42

Scholar
You forgot one :P

Roe R Adams
Wizardry 4
Mage - Very weak early but some say godlike by endgame. Oddly steep spell and HP progression. Major inventory problems until a special item is found midgame. Too reliant on recruited allies for firepower, although unusual choice to allow bladed weapons can make him a competent frontline fighter.

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Wiz6
Is encounter possible during repeated drinking at a fountain? I have never seen such thing.
I cannot understand why on earth I have to drink repeatedly to recharge mana/hp/stamina fully. It is only annoy the player. (?)

Oh man, I am getting old. I believed the keyboard UI of Wiz6 was great. But now it is terrible cumbersome. The only excuse that the mouse interface is much worse.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Wiz6

I am playing a six magic-users party. To my biggest surprise it was a piece of cake so far. Until the Styx river. Now, Houston we have a problem. But I am a little low-level. I have only a Level 10 party: PRI-PRI-ALC-PSI-MAG-MAG

gman42

Scholar
Wiz6

I am playing a six magic-users party. To my biggest surprise it was a piece of cake so far. Until the Styx river. Now, Houston we have a problem. But I am a little low-level. I have only a Level 10 party: PRI-PRI-ALC-PSI-MAG-MAG

Yeah as resistances ramp up you're gonna go through a tough phase, you'll probably have to focus on defense/buffs to stay alive long enough to poke enemies to death with whatever you can wield. The good thing is that that party should have pretty quick leveling, and eventually you'll outlevel your opponents by enough to break through their resistances. It may involve some grinding beyond what you'd normally need to finish the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Looking forward to see that progress.
ARTILLERY SQUAD FORWARD MARCH!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom