Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Aspyr officially announced

elverkongen

Learned
Why do the characters always have to be Jedi anyway? Why can't they do a non Force user for a change, fookin magefags ruin everything.

Agree 100%. I would love a Star Wars with some kind of shady character that mostly use blasters. Or maybe play as an imperial agent. Always the force, FORCING me to ditch the cool laser weapons.
There really isn't much to the Star Wars IP of interest outside of the Jedi.
Don't forget the obligatory cute merch-selling creatures.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
let player character be an alien this time.

bith_998c8489.jpeg

Revan and his brothers before the Jedi ruined everything.

KOTOR1 was only well-regarded because almost everything Star Wars (a few comic books and the JK games were good) had been complete shit for a decade. If it hadn’t been released at a time when the franchise’s health was at an all-time-low it would have been regarded as a thoroughly mediocre release. At least on PC. Consoletards probably would have still consoletarded.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think a lot of people are forgetting how innovative it was at the time. They had bold new concepts that we'd never seen before, like voice acting that wasn't embarrassingly bad. It's probably the first game I played where I didn't turn the voice volume down to 0.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
KOTOR 1 was a bad game, they'd have to do a complete rewrite of the story, most companions & rework the entire combat system. Best case scenario they can make an average game out of it.
As if rewriting the game in this day and age would make it better.

KOTOR1 was only well-regarded because almost everything Star Wars (a few comic books and the JK games were good) had been complete shit for a decade. If it hadn’t been released at a time when the franchise’s health was at an all-time-low it would have been regarded as a thoroughly mediocre release. At least on PC. Consoletards probably would have still consoletarded.
IIRC everything SW started to be widely despised and ridiculed only with the start of the new millennium. Most SW games in the 1990s - Dark Forces, X-Wing, Jedi Knight, Battlegrounds etc. - were commercial, critical and fan megahits.

I think KotoR got popular simply because
1) after the embarrassing prequel trilogy it was good old SW again
2) it created the cinematic RPG genre that Bioware became famous for
3) IIRC it was a p. solid gaming experience all around (don't quote me on that, last time I played it was 15 years ago)

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
KotOR was a lot of console users first game with dialogue choices and different reactions. Previous hit RPGs for them were jRPGs where you got a yes/no choice 5 times total and if you chose the wrong option it repeated the question until you switched. I don't know if this is true and will make no effort to find out, but it feels right.

KOTOR 1 was a bad game, they'd have to do a complete rewrite of the story, most companions & rework the entire combat system. Best case scenario they can make an average game out of it.
As if rewriting the game in this day and age would make it better.

IIRC everything SW started to be widely despised and ridiculed only with the start of the new millennium. Most SW games in the 1990s - Dark Forces, X-Wing, Jedi Knight, Battlegrounds etc. - were commercial, critical and fan megahits.

I think KotoR got popular simply because
1) after the embarrassing prequel trilogy it was good old SW again
2) it created the cinematic RPG genre that Bioware became famous for
3) IIRC it was a p. solid gaming experience all around (don't quote me on that, last time I played it was 15 years ago)
In my late teens and early 20s (late 90s-early 00s) I was a pretty hardcore SW nerd, and quite tapped into that fandom. The prequels were definitely seen as a disappointment by the diehards, but the EU was also seen as offering diminishing returns. Zahn’s Heir to the Empire trilogy (widely regarded as the best of the old EU novels) finished in 93, and Dark Horse’s comics had a few bright spots, but largely nose-dived in quality after the Tales of the Jedi arc wrapped (btw, TotJ was the basis for KotOR, but KotOR took everything unique and interesting about it and sanitized it into functionally the same exact setting as the prequel trilogy). Like I said, the JK games were well regarded (although I think JKII and JA don’t hold up particularly well today), but excepting those you have to go all the way back to TIE Fighter (‘94) for a game that was universally beloved by the hardcore fanbase. KotOR came out in ‘03 so that’s your roughly decade-long drought of decent SW content.

Black

Arcane
Nothing to brag about if your finished product is as "good" as kotor 1.

kotor hate is cringe
it was a better game than kotor 2 because it was actually a finished game rather than half a game
*Shrug*

The gameplay in both is pretty brain dead. At least 2 has an interesting take on the setting and Avellone dialogue.

KOTOR1 is a perfectly executed Happy Meal.

2 is a fine dining experience where half of the courses never arrive, but the half that do are excellent.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
KOTOR 1 was a quality saturday morning cartoon, you get to be the hero blowing everything up. No need to think about it too much.

KOTOR 2 was a dry, joyless take on the same concept by freaks for whom said cartoon was not "deep" enough. Some of the worst story construction and pacing I've ever seen in an RPG.

It just goes on and on with nothing really happening and basically anything of interest is recycled from the first game but in a way that draws it out far too much.

Both much better than anything we've had from the big devs recently though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom