Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Peripeteia - Deus Ex-inspired FPS/RPG set in anime cyberpunk Poland

Shodanon

Ninth Exodus
Developer
give character selector, Deus Ex had a huge variety of different characters you could choose to play as!!!
It keeps going.
forum.png

Sure, I'd love to compromise the story so we could acommodate neutral (boring) responses from NPCs. It's not like one of DX:IW's fuckups was having both male and female Alex D.
Cool stuff, Shodanon! Congrats on hitting the 100% mark :dance:
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I had to stop playing because of a mild case of motion sickness (it's the jerky animations, I think).
I did receive a report that Peri induced motion sickness before, it was a person who experienced it due to the lack of movement smoothing in the very early builds and the odd camera placement on the character controller. Thankfully I as able to help them with that. The in hand models acting too jerky is an often reported problem I'll be fixing.

From what I've managed to play through, I loved the atmosphere, the parkour mechanics, the verticality and different routes, though I wish the level design was tighter, with smaller areas, more "functional" spaces, etc.
Check out the third level, Memorial Tower. It has been improved and updated since the November demo and I hope that the additions to it reflect more the intended final density of the game's levels (even if it's still being worked on).

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not like one of DX:IW's fuckups was having both male and female Alex D.

Quite the opposite actually. Alex D's gender makes no difference in DX:IW (or even the first Deus Ex for that matter, the only game in the series where it makes sense is Deus Ex Human Revolution because you have a girlfriend... and i'm sure this wouldn't really be much of a reason to not have a female protagonist nowadays, see Prey for example where you have a girlfriend regardless of your chosen gender) and different people may want to play as either male or female, so having that option was actually one of its positives.

Of course if the story assumes a specific gender then it is another matter and shouldn't compromise it for the sake of it, but this doesn't apply in DX:IW.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dishonored 2 does that as well.

Not from what i remember and a quick Google search doesn't seem to indicate that either. Corvo's only love interest was Jessamine and Emily's was Wyman whose gender is explicitly left unspecified.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you don't want to play as a hard drinking, battery-licking anime girl then move on. :cool:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3280677

PERIPETEIA Kickstarter hits another stretch goal!

Second Goal: Unlocked!
7aafe6d11bcce47d8923a0bb56d12539_original.png

Congratulations, the Kickstarter Campaign has reached 125%!

Marie will now be granted a grappling hook to more easily traverse PERIPETEIA's enormous levels.

Third Goal: Additional Artwork By Hirotonfa
36069ce19942ae62bb19b4200bd2b7de_original.jpg

4c8658acc44998e8d3a73cfd85cfd22a_original.png

441b318df0e831d8b92cfc4f75ae4d09_original.jpg

Our good friend Hirotonfa (known to many of you formerly as Mcklinskey), has already done amazing work adding a small stylized version of Marie to our in-game light detection UI.

If we hit the €14k / $16.6k stretch goal, we will invite Hiro back to create additional UI and in-game art for us!

Feel free to check out our discord and play our demo too. Let us know what you think!

Cheers,

The 9th Exodus Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3285253

PERIPETEIA Kickstarter reaches €14k / $16.6k stretch goal!

Third Goal: Unlocked!

With 17 more days still to go. the PERIPETEIA Kickstarter Campaign has reached 140%! PERIPETEIA's UI and gameworld will now be adorned with additional artwork from Hirotonfa.

fdb2611c12e0e6ef86a9a0fe199ae0c5_original.png

Known to many of you formerly as Mcklinskey, Hirotonfa has already done amazing work adding a small stylized version of Marie to our in-game light detection UI.

Goal #4: CIA Weapons Pack (€16k / $18.8k)
So the game is full of prototype and commonplace post-soviet guns. What about something western? If we reach this goal, we’ll be adding a more tangible proof of CIA meddling in the setting: a set of weapons hailing from the other side of the alternate 199X iron curtain. OICWs, ACRs, PDWs and other lost and forgotten future soldier program entrants powered by Kraut space magic will appear in the game.

57bb0f13b282806f4006d9f1270288b0_original.png

SHOUT-OUTS
Project Warlock 2

We’d like to give a shootout to the Poland-based Buckshot Software. Having returned to the spotlight during Realms Deep 2021, they are back at making another amazing demon-frying retro-inspired shooter, a sequel to their acclaimed Project Warlock. With a playable demo and an ear for fan feedback, consider checking out and backing their Kickstarter project.

E1M1 - Retro First Person Shooter Magazine (Issues #7 - #9)

If you’re into retro shooters and games inspired by the classics of the genre, be sure to check out E1M1 magazine and their third Kickstarter, aiming to release issues 7 through 9. We’re looking forward to their 9th issue, with the cover featuring a certain lost immersive sim from the early 2000s, as well as issue 8, which will include a preview of our demo!

Feel free to check out our discord and play our demo too. Let us know what you think!

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3288188

Another goal reached! Thank you for helping us achieve €16k / $18.8k

Fourth goal: CIA weapons pack unlocked!

We’ve got 2 weeks to go, and the Kickstarter for PERIPETEIA was able to reach 160% funding. Thanks to your generosity, we’ll be able to add western prototype firearms into the game.

57bb0f13b282806f4006d9f1270288b0_original.png

While never realized in our timeline, prototype US and NATO guns such as the G11 Prototyp 5 and other ACR train entrants, the 90s chonky OICW and the more out there PDWs will be featured in Peripeteia as part of the arsenal of CIA agents within the world.

Goal #5: Field interrogations
As a field operative with unlimited freedom, Marie deserves a truly skillful non-lethal move. If we reach the €18k / $21.2k goal, we’ll be implementing interrogations akin to Spliter Cell and Metal Gear: an action executable without any equipment, but only possible to pull off on unsuspecting enemies. It will be a possible source of additional intel and resources for the players that want to play the game in a more sneaky manner.

87dd81c93225b61efb9be7cf14b3a695_original.jpg

As always, please check out our discord and play our demo, if you haven't already!

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3288411

PERIPETEIA is coming to consoles!

Hello Peripeteia fans!

We’re extremely proud to announce our partnership with Top Hat Studios, Inc, who will be bringing PERIPETEIA to consoles!

24dca588ce20ff97f106bbde357d98de_original.jpg

Peri will now be released on Playstation 5, Playstation 4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, as well as on PC.

PERIPETEIA Kickstarter backers who are receiving a key (or keys) as part of their Kickstarter campaign rewards, will be able to opt for a key on the available platform of their choice.

Addons are also now available for our Kickstarter rewards, so if you wanted to pick up that Artbook, Digital OST or an extra copy of the game (on any platform), now you can!

About Top Hat Studios, Inc

Top Hat Studios is a niche New York-based boutique publisher whose titles include Synergia, Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story, and Potion Party. Top Hat Studios are the video game industry’s leading Kickstarter success consultants, having designed and supported campaigns for successes such as Ova Magica, Steamdolls: Order of Chaos, and Cloudscape. Having started as a genuine grassroots indie company with no external investment, Top Hat Studios now provides a holistic suite of publishing, business development, and porting expertise to indie developers and solo devs.

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Peri will now be released on Playstation 5, Playstation 4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, as well as on PC.

:hmmm:

The first red flag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
From last week: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3289670

Peri Kickstarter: interrogation mechanic unlocked!

Thank you for helping us achieve €18k / $21.2k!

Fifth goal: interrogation mechanics unlocked!
We’ve got 12 days to go, and the Kickstarter for PERIPETEIA was able to reach 180% funding! Thanks to you, we’ll be able to add Splinter-Cell and Metal Gear style interrogation dialogue and mechanics to the game.

f7ce07136803b52d283c40befb9cbb87_original.png

Sneak up on your enemies and take them hostage. Learn valuable intel, or simply have a friendly little chat. As a field operative with unlimited freedom, Marie deserves a truly skillful non-lethal move. An action executable without any equipment, but only possible to pull off on unsuspecting enemies. Essential for the players that want to play the game in a more sneaky manner.

Goal #6: Selected Voiced Dialogue
d32408ae3642c97a974096ad9b383f25_original.jpg

At €21k / $24.8k, we put voices to some of our most important NPCs and dialogues; giving them stronger characterization and helping to build Peri's already deep atmosphere.

PERIPETEIA's world is an unforgiving and surreal place, filled with ruthless, scarred and broken people. Help us bring those characters a little more to life, and set the scene, by giving important lines the perfect delivery.

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3295429

PERIPETEIA Kickstarter hits €21k!

Goal # 6: Selected voiced dialogues: unlocked!

We’ve got 5 days to go, and the Kickstarter for PERIPETEIA was able to reach 210% funding! Thanks to you, we’ll be able to bring to life some of our more important characters.

d32408ae3642c97a974096ad9b383f25_original.jpg

Goal #7: Music from Ed Harrison (Neotokyo, Deus Ex: Mandkind Divided)
As announced at the start of campaign, at €25k / $29.6k, world-renowned composer Ed Harrison, aka 0edit, of Neotokyo, Tsioque and Deus Ex Mankind divided fame, will expand the Peripeteia soundscape with at least five brand new compositions.

fd0a31ec0b2ed9581157ccb5abe56545_original.png

There are only 5 days left in the campaign, let's make them count!

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

Shodanon

Ninth Exodus
Developer
Last 24 hours. Thanks everyone who decided to support us. We'll do everything in our power not to disappoint.
And if you haven't been swayed, I hope to hear your thoughts and comments as we update the demo with intended features and that on release you'll be enjoying the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3297797

PERIPETEIA Kickstarter reaches an amazing %250 funded!

Goal # 7: Ed Harrison soundtrack contributions: unlocked!

With only 3 days to go, the Kickstarter for PERIPETEIA has cleared 250% and unlocked musical contributions from Ed Harrison!

fd0a31ec0b2ed9581157ccb5abe56545_original.png

We are ecstatic to bring on the talents of Ed Harrison of Neotokyo and Deus Ex: Mankind divided fame. Ed will be composing 5 new tracks for Peripeteia.

Next goal: Animated cutscenes
We pride ourselves on making a game that gives the player as much freedom as possible, so we very rarely steal control away from the player. However, there are some parts of Marie's story that could be better told through cutscenes rather than from her perspective. If we hit €27k / $31.9k, then we'll take the time to implement animated sequences in the style of Thief between missions, as well as a Deus Ex-like outros.

bcf3cad9956d307b290154f0e8aec088_original.gif

There are only 3 days left in the campaign, so now is your last chance to pick up your rewards!

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3298510

€27k stretch goal smashed!

Goal # 8: Animated cutscenes: unlocked!

Our backers are amazing! We have less than 72 hours left and the hype train isn’t stopping. Thanks to you, we’ll be able to add in-between-mission cinematics, made in the vein of Thief, with the trademark Peripeteia surreal aesthetic and soviet influences. We’ll also put our efforts into animating Deus Ex-like outros for the planned endings. Thank you for making it possible.

46d61c17fe8bb011de34cbcd484ada8a_original.jpg

Goal # 9: Marie model selection on game start
Immersive sims can have full character creation, but we have decided to follow in the footsteps of Deus Ex and have a named protagonist. But even Deus Ex didn’t stop players from customizing their JC at the start of the game. If we reach the €30k/$35.4 goal, we’ll add a similar option to Peripeteia, with the three prominent playstyles (stealth, opportunist and assault) being represented with its unique design for our protagonist.

505aa741f3e25a6cdb929449da4c92d3_original.jpg

Remember that we have added add-ons for upgrading pledges with the digital artbook and FLAC soundtrack, so check them out if you haven't!

As always, feel free to check out our discord, play our demo and let us know what you think!

Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3299060

Peripeteia is 300% funded! THANK YOU!

Goal # 9: Marie model selection unlocked!

With less than two days to go, our amazing backers were able to help us achieve things we didn’t think were possible just a month ago. We have reached the €30k/$35.4 goal and we’ll be adding three unique looks for Marie, selectable at the start of the game. Each model will represent a different style of approaching problems in the game: stealth, opportunist and assault.

505aa741f3e25a6cdb929449da4c92d3_original.jpg

Our actress (my fife) started getting into character for her mocap sessions. GIVE HER MORE WORK.

e2d6091255d514eb2edf9c7fa3e612c9_original.jpg

Can we make it to the next stretch goal before the campaign is over? Let’s find out!

Goal # 10: Factional outfits
So you decided to side with the PSR and blew it with the Second Union. Now you’re locked out of their questline, as they will shoot you on sight. Walking into their facilities will prove way more dangerous and might be quite tricky, with a stealthy approach advised. If we reach the €35k/$41.3k stretch goal, we’ll be providing the sneakier players with a new tool: disguises that will help Marie infiltrate restricted areas without fearing that pesky TRESPASSING sign (too much), Hitman-style.

55f6353cc110a08a5f699336d6d96fac_original.jpg

The disguises will be mimicking the aesthetics of the main factions

As always, please check out our discord and play our demo, if you haven't already! Don’t forget to wishlist the game and follow our twitter to keep up with the latest updates.

Cheers,

The 9th Exodus Team

Arbaces

Novice
Congrats Shodanon! I didn't even realize this was still in development until I saw the new demo. I played it and was pleasantly surprised by how much was included. However, I cannot imagine enjoying it with a controller. Between the touchy platforming, inventory tetris, and general gameplay it is a very poor fit for consoles. If you're dead set on console release, then play Deus Ex on PS2 and take copious notes. That's not even considering the extra work dealing with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and ratings boards.

Quite the opposite actually. Alex D's gender makes no difference in DX:IW (or even the first Deus Ex for that matter, the only game in the series where it makes sense is Deus Ex Human Revolution because you have a girlfriend... and i'm sure this wouldn't really be much of a reason to not have a female protagonist nowadays, see Prey for example where you have a girlfriend regardless of your chosen gender) and different people may want to play as either male or female, so having that option was actually one of its positives.

Of course if the story assumes a specific gender then it is another matter and shouldn't compromise it for the sake of it, but this doesn't apply in DX:IW.
The Minister of Culture in New Seattle won't give female Alex the "key to his backdoor" for the promise of becoming his "chamberboy", as he is a fag. I think there are other minor things, and Alex is given more free stuff in total as a woman. It's quite realistic!

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
The Minister of Culture in New Seattle won't give female Alex the "key to his backdoor" for the promise of becoming his "chamberboy", as he is a fag. I think there are other minor things, and Alex is given more free stuff in total as a woman. It's quite realistic!

Choices and consequences :-P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3301039

PERIPETEIA Kickstarter Campaign closes at an amazing 370% funded!

First of all: THANK YOU!

The funding from our Kickstarter will allow our core developers to keep working on the game till completion, and fully realise our ambitions and ideas. Our lead level designer, who is currently homeless, will be able to begin a living arrangement more conducive to game development.

We couldn't have done this without you: thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We're very excited to have you along with us on this journey.

We hit our last stretch goal!
We also managed to pass our final 35k stretch goal in the last few hours of the campaign. Marie will now have access to a selection of faction disguises/outfits, that can be used to infiltrate restricted areas.

55f6353cc110a08a5f699336d6d96fac_original.jpg

What comes next?
So what happens immediately following this? Well for starters, just in case there was any doubt; we've been working hard on the game all through the campaign. We'll be giving regular updates on new maps, mechanics, enemies, weapons and other features we have in progress, mostly via our twitter and discord server. We suggest that you tune-in on one of those just to keep track of development progress and the status of various backer rewards.

We'll be sending out surveys shortly via Kickstarter, for those who backed tiers that rewarded lore snippets or gun inclusions. We will also reach out to those who will be designing a level with us. It's definitely recommended that all three of those groups get in touch with us on discord if they want to ask us any clarifying questions.

Those that have backed tiers with 'beta access': when we have enough new gameplay that we feel is worthwhile to share with you, we will release working builds of the game with new areas, weapons, enemies and so on. Again, visit our discord regularly to be kept in the loop and to get access to these builds.

Again, thank you!!!
Cheers,
The 9th Exodus Team

Pearass

Educated

The funding from our Kickstarter will allow our core developers to keep working on the game till completion, and fully realise our ambitions and ideas. Our lead level designer, who is currently homeless, will be able to begin a living arrangement more conducive to game development.

We couldn't have done this without you: thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We're very excited to have you along with us on this journey.

Oh God, their lead level designer is homeless? Jesus, that's awful. I hope the success of this campaign (and prospectively, the game's release) prevent homelessness from plaguing their team going forward.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I liked the demo a lot. Everyone, please hold your hands together and fervently wish that this game has no weird Twitter tranny faggotry in the final release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/peripete...iving-military-surplus-in-near-future-poland/

Peripeteia is an immersive sim where you play 'living military surplus' in near-future Poland
Play the demo of this homage to Deus Ex.

First thing I did when I left the bar was stack crates to climb out of an alley, so yeah, Peripeteia is an immersive sim all right. You play a cyborg ex-soldier named Marie, reduced to odd jobs and mercenary work in a city where the main source of heat and light comes from fires in drum barrels. It's Deus Ex except you're Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell, retired, in Poland.

The demo includes two missions and they're bigger than I expected. Huge tower buildings, long hallways full of trash, rooftops connected by pipes, underground tunnels. It's a good thing I can sprint forever, jump like it's going out of style, and leap-frog up ledges, which makes exploring a hoot.

It's worth exploring because of course there are multiple ways into each area. The bartender wants a keycard from the gas-mask thugs who took over a nearby building, which I get into by going high. I pause to talk to a homeless rooftop-dweller about politics, because everybody in games like this wants to talk politics. The city used to belong to the Soviet Union in Peripeteia's alternate-history future, and now it's being fought over by various factions as well as scavengers looking for the hidden caches of Soviet tech rumored to have been left behind. Which is where I come in, a walking lump of leftover tech myself, referred to as "living military surplus" in the Kickstarter pitch.

I try talking to the thugs as well, though I could have crouch-walked past or just shot them. Their boss claims they're patriots, reclaiming what should be theirs, and we have a nice chat about Soviet architecture before cutting a deal. In return for the keycard, I'll have to put my cybersoldier skills to use and kill a drug dealer they dislike.

When I play immersive sims I usually end up finding an interesting route into a place as I leave it, and it's the same here. I exit via an underground passage, then after I deal with the dealer—the shooting's better than it ever was in Deus Ex—I find another way I could have taken into his apartment as well. Peripeteia's full of hidden places, reached by climbing or going the long way around or hacking a computer to unlock a door.

Worth a mention: this is the best hacking minigame I've played in ages. You get a set number of attempts to guess a password in a time limit, pressing random keys that then flash red, yellow, or green. Green if you've hit the correct letter or number, yellow if you're close, and red if you're way off. It's a simple game of 'hot and cold' played on your keyboard and I'm into it.

After thoroughly exploring the neighbourhood I get the keycard, hand it over, and catch a train back to my apartment. A post-mission debrief screen shows the train hurtling through the dark city, and then it's on to the second half of the demo and the hunt for a bunker full of Soviet tech. I'll leave that for you to discover yourself.

Peripeteia has some jank to it, especially if you switch to the third-person mode that lets you see Marie's anime face and awkward animations while sometimes sending the camera flying out of bounds. I'm not fussed by that, or the weird angles in the conversation scenes, or the inventory Tetris (actually I kind of like it). This demo's got everything I want from a cyberpunk vent-crawler, and I look forward to worming through every one of the final game's levels when it's released.

Peripeteia was funded via Kickstarter in August, raising more than three times its €10,000 goal. It's got a planned release date of late 2022, and the demo is available on Steam. If you were wondering about the name, 'peripeteia' means the turning point in a narrative. It's a plot device. You know, like a deus ex machina.

orcinator

Liturgist

Oh God, their lead level designer is homeless? Jesus, that's awful. I hope the success of this campaign (and prospectively, the game's release) prevent homelessness from plaguing their team going forward.
Is that why the levels are so oversized? He wants everything to be big enough to contain a potential squatter camp?

Shodanon

Ninth Exodus
Developer
See, we didn't bring it up, because who'd want pitybux. And I really had to stop myself from telling (few) people commenting "this game you already have a demo for has to be a scam because you ask for what I perceive as too little" that literally staying of the streets to be able to work on the game is the level of luxury we're aiming for. But the situation is better now, thank God.
Is that why the levels are so oversized? He wants everything to be big enough to contain a potential squatter camp?
Unironically, yes. A lot of the look and design of the hueg levels comes from Snake's experiences as a hobo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom