Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Retardo

Learned
God, man, I sincerely hope you are trolling here. Implying that educational-entertainment games are greatest artistic and technical achievements of our times, or saying that witcher games include a few life lessons is rather bold.
What next, you'll be praising star wars as deep drama?

Also, for the record, I was not implying that *only* educational-entertainment games are the greatest artistic and technical achievements of our times. But well-crafted games in general.
SpaceX building reusable rockets and Tesla creating AI for self-driving cars is also very impressive. But in several ways, creating an AAA game has more challenges in a greater variety of disciplines
, and of course a much higher artistic component.

Just look at the credits of all the people involved in the Witcher 3 and their occupation for christ sake:
https://www.igdb.com/games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/credits

Truly, our discussion is a gift that keeps on giving.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
ED is the perfect game to sperg about realism because we all know it is so damn realistic with its flight model. :roll:

Last DLC utterly killed the game anyway.
upload_2021-9-12_19-24-28.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
ED is the perfect game to sperg about realism because we all know it is so damn realistic with its flight model. :roll:

View attachment 20895
Every time I think ED has reached the lowest available decline, Braben and K somehow find a way to fail even worse.

I have the feeling they want people to drop the game so they can save on server hosting costs. They made a game that requires a permanent online component with no way to generate new money from it except decals which only the fattest of whales would buy.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Braben has his own built with the gameplay from the 8bit Elite that is actually fun. He just hates people who play his games.

Just imagine how fun it would be to buy machinery and computers on an industrial planet and sell them on another that is backwards for a small but significant profit, be able to slip through a gauntlet of space pirates that do not see your every move from lightyears away and send you chat messages, and speculate with some Platinum along the way.

Silva

Arcane
What have I wandered into?

So video games = rocket science now?
Nope. But videogames, like most media, can be both educational and a vehicle for the expression and consumption of art. Despite what grognards say.

Btw, What Remains of Edith Finch has a better story than 90% of recent books and movies I've seen. As does SOMA.

Last edited:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
What have I wandered into?

So video games = rocket science now?
Nope. But videogames, like most media, can be both educational and a vehicle for the expression and consumption of art. Despite what grognards say.

Btw, What Remains of Edith Finch has a better story than 90% of recent books and movies I've seen. So does SOMA.

Yes, and that says a lot about recent books and movies.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Exactly my thoughts. Fuck "recent" books and movies and What Remains of Edith Flinch.

Go to a library and get some decent books, they are not just there for homeless people.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I have 1,660 hours in the game, but I haven't played in a while and I'm on the fence about the newest expansion.

I will say that throwing some headphones on and plopping down in front of nice monitor, just cruising around, was quite relaxing. I could do it for hours.

.Pixote.

Augur
I haven't touched it since I became Elite in the 3 fields (Combat, Trade, Exploration) that's been 12 months now. With the new expansion (Odyssey) I've been watching the shitshow slowly kill the game, I think the developers have committed the greatest sin, alienating their audience. People have been asking for interiors for years, complaining about the mindless grind, wanting new ships...nothing, and yet they thought running around going "pew pew" was the answer. The game still has many beautiful elements if players just want to explore the galaxy.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
What they need to do (and I'm not kidding here) is hire some decent quest designers from the RPG world. Write an actual plot and implement it through newscasts, etc.

I think Odyssey was a slight misfire but it is a recoverable error. The key draw of the game is the simulation -- so deepen it. Do interiors, but also do other shit. Create an actual radio station and transmission chatter, stuff like that. Let me land on a station and have a cup of coffee in a diner at the edge of a star. Hire some C-list celebrities to do decent voice acting.

The problem is that the world feels sterile. I think that's a natural problem with being a space-focused game, but it is fixable. The game isn't EVE Online and nobody wants it to be, but find the happy medium.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
The point is flying around and enjoying the flight model and sound design. There is no other point.
To a large extent this is exactly it. You can do stuff -- go exploring, combat, trading, etc. But the only reason to do those things is to do them and make money . . . to buy bigger ships, upgrade your stuff, so you can do harder/bigger explorations, trades, combats. . . to make more money, to buy better ships, etc. It is not unlike your average "looter shooter" in this regard; there is obviously no end of the game to be seen.

But they could fix this. There's no reason why the game can't have a plot and a reason to fly all over the place, doing these things. At least for a little while.

Codex Year of the Donut
The point is flying around and enjoying the flight model and sound design. There is no other point.
To a large extent this is exactly it. You can do stuff -- go exploring, combat, trading, etc. But the only reason to do those things is to do them and make money . . . to buy bigger ships, upgrade your stuff, so you can do harder/bigger explorations, trades, combats. . . to make more money, to buy better ships, etc. It is not unlike your average "looter shooter" in this regard; there is obviously no end of the game to be seen.

But they could fix this. There's no reason why the game can't have a plot and a reason to fly all over the place, doing these things. At least for a little while.
yea but I play lots of pointless MMOs and don't have this issue
this game is just something else, like there's no carrot on the end of the stick, I don't really get how people are interested in it

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

yea but I play lots of pointless MMOs and don't have this issue
this game is just something else, like there's no carrot on the end of the stick, I don't really get how people are interested in it

There something captivating and relaxing about playing the game in a certain way, but you gotta do it right.

For me, it is:

1) A nice big, high quality screen.
2) Good quality, surround sound and/or 3D audio headphones
3) An above average flight stick.
4) A comfortable chair you can sit back in

If you get all this going, it is a very immersive and relaxing experience. Flying around, scanning planets, blasting the occasional pirate, landing on a rocky planet to putz around a little bit . . . it's quite fun. There's not another game like it, imo.

Playing it on a TV with a shitty console controller? I don't know anyone enjoys it.

Perkel

Arcane
Pad is actually great for space games, much more so than mouse and keyboard because it is cheap dual stick setup. It lacks precission and it is not as fun as stick but i often used left side of pad as replacement for second stick when i had just one.

People who say there is no end game are right. But that is not really the main reason why it sucks. The main reason is that progression is hollow. It means that your next ship is just bigger ship than last one, there are some differences but there is no fundamental difference between ships. All of them can be retrofitted to anything you want. There is some dedication to some ships but they don't really matter in the end. Moreover getting "best ship" in game is not really an achievement, it is just mindless grind and there is no reason to ever use sidewinder.

Other games usually do it differently meaning that each ship has its hard specialization and fighter ship won't become suddenly trading ship. So the progression feels hollow because what ship you have is your kit rather than ship itself deciding that.

The other issue is that everything feels the same. For first 10 hours or so you see everything there is aside maybe from black hole or some neutron star. There is some variation in missions but they all feel like they are there because game requires them rather than interesting set of missions that are pretty open ended in how you approach them. If you look at same selena type of planet non stop it is no wonder you don't want to play it.

El Presidente

Arcane
I've tried to play this game like 5 times and I don't understand the point.
I treated is as Euro Truck Sim on space back when I played it, and it's pretty competent at that. However unlike ETS2 you aren't supposed to play Elite listening to anything other than the game's sounds, which are brilliant.

If you also don't get Euro Truck's point tho, then nevermind.

Higher Game

Arcane
They have an entire galaxy they could auction off sectors to different game studios for different styles of play, but for some reason they don't. When you think about it Elite Dangerous might be in a worse management hell than Star Citizen. :lol:

View attachment 20895
An expansion so bad it makes Star Citizen look better by comparison.

That is not a compliment to either game.

>inb4 at least ED RELEASED!

Doesn't matter. Cyberpunk released and was a shit show. Loads of games release and are still fucking shit. That's not the point. Stop making excuses and defending bad games because of tribalism. Force devs to make good games and make them NOW!

Yosharian

Arcane
Space Legs was always a cash grab. What Elite desperately needs is better moment-to-moment mechanics. What they did to mining, they needed to do to the entire game.

It's sad but Elite still isn't a bad game, just an extremely flawed one.

Also the flight model isn't that realistic. Ships have a top speed for example when no such thing exists in space.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Also the flight model isn't that realistic. Ships have a top speed for example when no such thing exists in space.

If you don't toggle flight assist it's just basic plane dogfight. Lateral thrust, for instance, it doesn't make much difference (even with the Viper), it's all about rolling.

Maybe wht people meant by "realistic" is that you have a very distinctive feel flying different ships even in the same size category).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom