Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tips for a neophyte who wants to play Pool of Radiance

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does the music sync with what's going on? That'd be pretty cool. If not you could just play some music in the background.

I don't see any problem with preferring to use some add-on.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Goldbox Companion is designed to switch between tracks in combat and exploration but what song gets played seems to be random. It is incredibly easy to add new songs so visiting tabletopaudio.com can provide plenty of new music.

Cunt Dickula!?

Admit it! You didnt play past the slums. HAHAHA! Silent thread! HA!
Game is too shitty and you quit, OP! LOL!

Null Null

Arbiter
There have been a lot of complaints about it. The interface is cumbersome (POR is really not made for four buttons) and the graphics lack the pixelated charm of the original according to many.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Does anybody know if NES port of AD&D PoR is any good?

I hated it. The interface is clunky. The graphics lack color and charm. The text has been simplified due to the limitation of the system (and I don't think it uses journal entries). I've played just about every version of the game that exists, and this is always the one I recommend people avoid like the plague if you've never played a Gold-Box game (talk about a way to drive someone away from the series). If you have played the Gold-Box games, you might find it interesting, but it's such an inferior version that it probably won't scratch the same itch as the other versions.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I think I listed just about all tge different POOLS in another thread. A true champion finishes them all.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Goldbox Companion is designed to switch between tracks in combat and exploration but what song gets played seems to be random. It is incredibly easy to add new songs so visiting tabletopaudio.com can provide plenty of new music.
I'm curious about the music on GBC. So any video examples?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
As someone who has beaten the game multiple times, here's what I recommend:

* Be careful if you use the "Modify" button. Making your party too powerful will make the encounters much more difficult. Fight the urge to max out your stats.
Really? I am pretty sure I modified to 18/00 on strength a few times when rolling characters (because I could), didn't realise I was shooting myself in the foot...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Psh... either way. Uber challenge is modifying them to be uber wimps with 1 hp and crappiest stats possible.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Or 55 or 70 or 99. Lol, so many of those battles and your wizards will soon pump their loads in a fiery bukake and be empty.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Or 55 or 70 or 99. Lol, so many of those battles and your wizards will soon pump their loads in a fiery bukake and be empty.

Pretty sure the encounters are capped at 50 enemies. At least, they are in FRUA, which is even more advanced than the engine in POR. I’m sure it was due to memory restrictions.

Still, fighting 50 enemies instead of 15 because you maxed all your stats is only going to make things harder for a neophyte.

mondblut

Arcane
If you max out your stats, the game will compensate by making the encounters harder. Instead of 15 orcs, you could face 30.

I call it win-win.

Plus, as a bonus you can mock challengecucks because by not maxing their stats they end up playing on game journo difficulty.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Admit it! You didnt play past the slums. HAHAHA! Silent thread! HA!
Game is too shitty and you quit, OP! LOL!

If I recall correctly, I made it to Mendor's Library. I sadly had to interrupt my playthrough to deal with some professional obligations (I've been silent on the Codex as a whole), but I intend to get back to the game soon. This is a game that, in my view, requires longer sittings to be properly enjoyed, but I've had precious few opportunities to just sit down and play a game for several hours on end (doesn't help that I also have other hobbies and a girlfriend); as a result, my gaming time has been mostly consumed by RPGs and visual novels I can enjoy in shorter bursts. The game is quite fun, though: significantly different from what I'm used to, but the experience is refreshing. If everything goes well, I intend to finish this and try out some other Gold Box titles afterwards, since I bought the whole package on GOG when I got this.

EDIT: Just checked my game, it was the Library, not the well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom