Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are entities who are considered divine and the priests definitely do not lord over magic. They can cast only whatever is given to them and they think the source is divine. They don't differentiate between arcane and divine magic because they don't have arcane magic. This is a distinction only we, as possessors of meta-knowledge, make. If you think there is no difference, why the fervent discussion and "critique"?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Btw, we could squeeze another person to play with us. One of the players is going through stuff atm and he has already played it two times, so anyone interested can take his place.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
There are entities who are considered divine and the priests definitely do not lord over magic. They can cast only whatever is given to them and they think the source is divine. They don't differentiate between arcane and divine magic because they don't have arcane magic. This is a distinction only we, as possessors of meta-knowledge, make. If you think there is no difference, why the fervent discussion and "critique"?
So there a powerful entities, which considered as divine only because they impress people with their powers, but these entities isn't actual deities...And "priests" cast spells granted by these entities...
Wait, are you kidding? This sounds like warlock with extra steps and warlocks themselves are different flavour of wizard. Change wizard in my initial statement on warlock and it still holds up corrected.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You should make all paladins black btw. They can't control their fiki-fiki so you can just castrate them at will and they have bigger equipment so you can harvest more meat and solve food shortage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You should make all paladins black btw. They can't control their fiki-fiki so you can just castrate them at will and they have bigger equipment so you can harvest more meat and solve food shortage.
Everyone is some shade of black, it's a desert setting.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Wait, then why you spend scarce resources to teach black wommynz how to rage in special school? Shaneekwas ain't need no damn school, they are natural.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Everyone is some shade of black, it's a desert setting.

Oh, I get the fantasy part now. It's blacks having functioning cities.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Nothing really to say about the game, other than that I've been in it many times before. It was a coming of the age story, with us doing some chores in the village and interacting with unmemorable NPCs, before we left the village to hunt a greater foe, only to return and find it burnt by unknown attackers. There were some attempts to add flavor to the game, but I don't feel like it couldn't be set in the angloland DnD usually takes place in, and none of the balls to the wall insanity from this 50 page thread really shone there, other than we've met a gay guy. The gay guy was also boring. There were no colorful descriptions or unique characters that would make me get invested into anything - which, although it was a one shot, I don't feel like were impossible to fit in.
The remarkable part of the game were the houserules. I'm generally not totally against houserules, but I also feel that if you want to homerule the campaign, you should be generally aware of the default rules, and why they are in place. I don't feel like that was the case.

I wouldn't say the game was awful, but it also wasn't special enough to be awful.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
angloland DnD usually takes place in

You don't need to have you game set in high fantasy medieval angloland.
  • Thay = high fantasy version of saudi arabia
  • Icewind dale = high fantasy version of viking Scandinavia
  • Dark Sun = high fantasy version of mad max
  • Barovia = high fantasy version of Transylvania
  • Eberron = high fantasy industrial revolution
  • (...)
  • RPG codex = high fantasy version of stormfront.
All of this "places" can be played in 5E. Unless one of your PC's wanna to play as a Red Wizard which would require some homebrewing, 2E and 3E has a lot of interesting settings. IF you don't wanna play with this rulesets, why not use this settings in your 5E game?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Disclaimer: we only had 1 house rule, drinking healing potions as a bonus action. You could count the removal of healing spells and arcane magic as a house rule, but that was clear before we even started and the whole point of the setting.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I think you and I both know that an average DnD campaign takes place in none of these special places, and even many that do, make them into generic angloland with unusual location names.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think everyone should know that I finished the adventure with a spoiled nigger chicken in my inventory:

chicken.png

Use this information however you see fit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
angloland DnD usually takes place in

You don't need to have you game set in high fantasy medieval angloland.
  • Thay = high fantasy version of saudi arabia
  • Icewind dale = high fantasy version of viking Scandinavia
  • Dark Sun = high fantasy version of mad max
  • Barovia = high fantasy version of Transylvania
  • Eberron = high fantasy industrial revolution
  • (...)
  • RPG codex = high fantasy version of stormfront.
All of this "places" can be played in 5E. Unless one of your PC's wanna to play as a Red Wizard which would require some homebrewing, 2E and 3E has a lot of interesting settings. IF you don't wanna play with this rulesets, why not use this settings in your 5E game?
Pulp fantasy is best fantasy:
  • Empire of Thyatis: Late Roman or Byzantine Empire
  • Empire of Alphatia: Persian Empire with vast amounts of magic
  • Emirates of Ylaruam: Middle East desert
  • Northern Reaches: more-developed Sweden struggling towards modernity, less-developed Norway struggling towards unity, Denmark struggling with the loss of the other two and foreign pressure to end piracy
  • Khanate of Ethengar: Mongols or Tatars or early Magyars
  • Grand Duchy of Karameikos: Slavs ruled by Thyatian arrivals
  • Republic of Darokin: England but nearly landlocked and ruled by merchants
  • Principalities of Glantri: Magic-rich land with French lycanthropes, Slavic vampires, Scottish liches, Spanish elves, Italians, and others
  • Heldannic Freeholds: Kievan Rus threatened by Ethengar and by Teutonic Knights (or already conquered by Teutonic Knights)
Plenty of opportunity for any Dungeon Master to re-arrange and reinterpret the Known World / Mystara as presented by TSR and to expand it outside the detailed territories.

known-world-8-150dpi-1024x936.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pulp fantasy is best fantasy:
  • Empire of Thyatis: Late Roman or Byzantine Empire
  • Empire of Alphatia: Persian Empire with vast amounts of magic
  • Emirates of Ylaruam: Middle East desert
  • Northern Reaches: more-developed Sweden struggling towards modernity, less-developed Norway struggling towards unity, Denmark struggling with the loss of the other two and foreign pressure to end piracy
  • Khanate of Ethengar: Mongols or Tatars or early Magyars
  • Grand Duchy of Karameikos: Slavs ruled by Thyatian arrivals
  • Republic of Darokin: England but nearly landlocked and ruled by merchants
  • Principalities of Glantri: Magic-rich land with French lycanthropes, Slavic vampires, Scottish liches, Spanish elves, Italians, and others
  • Heldannic Freeholds: Kievan Rus threatened by Ethengar and by Teutonic Knights (or already conquered by Teutonic Knights)
Plenty of opportunity for any Dungeon Master to re-arrange and reinterpret the Known World / Mystara as presented by TSR and to expand it outside the detailed territories.

In Mystara, I would love to play in Glantri. Glantri is very cool. I have the PDFs but sadly never played on it. My nick is from a Alphatian caster, but Glantri is even cooler IMO. The cover of the Glantri : The kingdom of magic is amazing. Water spells being cast in a Venice style "water canal".

mWgkx1C.png

In Forgotten realms, I would love to play as a red wizard of thay. You can have a entire campaign set around the party wanting to become red wizards, attempting to get money to pay basic tuition fees and test exame fees, applying to the red wizard academy, doing quests and tests as demanded by the professors, while level up and finally about lv 13 becoming a fully fledged red wizard. I've heard, not sure if is truth that only 1/10 of the students of the red wizard academy manage to graduate cuz the tests are too deadly(not sure). When a PC dies, he can roll another student. Or pay for Resurrection if he is rich enough and deal with the CON penalty which 2E has and other risks.

Is so sad that is such rich game, almost everyone only plays in sword coast which is the most boring region of the faerun(also most boring)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Which begs the question: Where is that other man?
In a cage, waiting to be exiled.
Why put him in a cage then? Might as well open it and let him go away.
Who should open it and let him go away? The authorities? Being exiled requires the presence of the townsfolk and someone to read out his crime(s), it's not a matter of "cya!" On top of that, this was a special case because the other guy was the champion of the arena.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom