Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Also it was a retarded idea from the start, to remake the game that already is a cult classic! They were able to do 2-3 completely new amazing games (and their pitches were fascinating) in this 7-year span, instead they fucked up the studio and released only 1/3 of said remake. Now they are too exhausted to do any more original games. This project is disaster.
I think patho2 is great and am glad it got made.

It is great, indeed, but it killed the studio.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also it was a retarded idea from the start, to remake the game that already is a cult classic! They were able to do 2-3 completely new amazing games (and their pitches were fascinating) in this 7-year span, instead they fucked up the studio and released only 1/3 of said remake. Now they are too exhausted to do any more original games. This project is disaster.
I think patho2 is great and am glad it got made.

It is great, indeed, but it killed the studio.
Maybe. But I didn't care much for cargo or knock knock, so if those sorts of games are the alternative, I am not sure I care about the studio's survival. A bit harsh, but so it goes.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You know how in Europe filmmakers, stage performers and artists can get financial support from the state, based (hopefully) on their project's cultural significance? The purpose is to ensure the existence and development of high culture despite its economic unsustainability.

They should make a fund for culturally significant video games. To ensure they're being made, even if normies want to pay for Fortnite. VG are expensive, but good ones are also few and far between. EU could make such a fund, easily. I'm sure Russian developers migrating to EU would be great for giving Putin more pain in his buttocks.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should make a fund for culturally significant video games. To ensure they're being made, even if normies want to pay for Fortnite. VG are expensive, but good ones are also few and far between. EU could make such a fund, easily.
Already happens.
brokenlines2021-03-0191k07.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
And it is quite a common thing.

Sneaky polacks managed to get some money from polish government to fund Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer of all things. Imagine being a multi-billion dollar studio and the biggest company in the country, and having the gall to ask your government for gibs.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Putin should donate some tiles from the roof of his palace to Pathologic 2 development. It would help in calming the colorful winds of revolutions.

But seriously. Those programs, as far as I know, are far from perfect, but they do provide a safety net for things that would otherwise be dead and gone. It's an issue for another topic I guess.

Was Pathologic 2 commercially successful?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
You know how in Europe filmmakers, stage performers and artists can get financial support from the state, based (hopefully) and their project's cultural significance? The purpose is to ensure the existence and development of high culture despite its economic unsustainability.

They should make a fund for culturally significant video games. To ensure they're being made, even if normies want to pay for Fortnite. VG are expensive, but good ones are also few and far between. EU could make such a fund, easily. I'm sure Russian developers migrating to EU would be great for giving Putin more pain in his buttocks.

I can't even imagine what indie monsters would win such grants.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Putin should donate some tiles from the roof of his palace to Pathologic 2 development. It would help in calming the colorful winds of revolutions.

But seriously. Those programs, as far as I know, are far from perfect, but they do provide a safety net for things that would otherwise be dead and gone. It's an issue for another topic I guess.
There's similar program for moviemakers in Russia. It's called Фонд Кино and its purpose - on paper - to help, including financial help, Russian moviemakers to produce and distribute their films. Because it's Russia the system is utterly corrupt, giving money to well established studios and directors with connections in the government circles instead of young directors or indie studios who receive diddly squat from the said program. More often than not Фонд Кино gives money without asking them back, how exactly these money were spent is not disclosed (but you can clearly see some awful CGI in the supported movie with multimillion budget) and it turns into a simple money laundering.

It doesn't take much to imagine similar program for games - and what studios will be supported. Not Ice-Pick Lodge, I guarantee that

prengle

Savant
they deceived kickstarter backers

They deceived themselves to begin with.
the original pathologic was so gargantuan in scope that there is simply no way ice-pick should've been able to create it with the (lack of) budget and experience they had in the early 2000s, it defied practically everyone's rational expectations, the game itself is a polyhedron of its own. the fact that they managed to replicate it a second time is a miracle in itself

Wunderbar

Arcane
What if it's a coordinated smear campaign, planned specifically to ruin Icepick's possible deal with a western publisher?
What if it's a publicity stunt to promote their next game, an ultra-interactive adventure that lets you experience the thrill of getting canceled IRL through a combination of hyper-advanced AI and procedurally generated evidence?
ah, the same game Avellone played in early access.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Based on what, somebody's rants on Twitter about something allegedly happened years ago? It's not USA, boy.
In majority of such cases evidence is based solely on victim's and witnesses' testimonies. If anyone comes forward, the guy may have some real legal problems. But, I reckon, some money will solve the problem rather quickly

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Based on what, somebody's rants on Twitter about something allegedly happened years ago? It's not USA, boy.
In majority of such cases evidence is based solely on victim's and witnesses' testimonies. If anyone comes forward, the guy may have some real legal problems. But, I reckon, some money will solve the problem rather quickly

Well, I personally think you are wrong, but the degree of absurdity these days is unpredictable.

What if it's a coordinated smear campaign, planned specifically to ruin Icepick's possible deal with a western publisher?

It actually looks like a hater's campaign, I probably even know the puppeteers. Anyway if this "15yo sex" situation is real, his career can be fucked (with the astonishing level of PR "professionalism" IPL demonstrated along the way, I'm pretty sure they cannot into damage control).

Last edited:

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'm enjoying this but I've never played a game where the devs tried so hard to keep you from enjoying their (in this case well written) content.

I started in 'intended' difficulty, and got a point in Day 3 with no money, no food, low health, and exhausted and infected. Ever the glutton for punishment, I died 20 times in a row desperately trying to get somewhere, anywhere, to be mocked and punished by the theater director. I'm fairly sure the nerf to stats even carry back to older saves.
Every time you turn around is a chance for the game to say 'no, fuck YOU'. The rat warren map to quest markers across town that are always just far enough away from a fast travel point (or start from an infected zone). A brutal economy. Barter. Sleep. Hunger. Thirst. Infection. Item wear. The inventory. Shop inventories. Crafting.

Russians are weird. It's like Victor Frankl made an RPG while having a case of dysentery.

Oh welp. Turned it down to 'easy' and it's still a challenge and actually fun.

In B4 'do you even lift, bro?'.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I'm enjoying this but I've never played a game where the devs tried so hard to keep you from enjoying their (in this case well written) content.
It's the intention of the game: you should suffer. It wouldn't be this fun if you just waltz through the game like an ubermensch.

Being overpowered is boring; I noticed that in many games. But when you just barely pull through purely by luck, skill or your persistence, it is rewarding.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
wouldn't be this fun if you just waltz through the game like an ubermensch.
Being overpowered is boring; I noticed that in many games. But when you just barely pull through purely by luck, skill or your persistence, it is rewarding.

I agree, but this game is too far on the other end of that spectrum. They may as well have the PC wear a gimp suit and switch to third person . Hell, for all I know they do that as punishment after 30 deaths.

RoSoDude

Arcane

I started in 'intended' difficulty, and got a point in Day 3 with no money, no food, low health, and exhausted and infected. Ever the glutton for punishment, I died 20 times in a row desperately trying to get somewhere, anywhere, to be mocked and punished by the theater director. I'm fairly sure the nerf to stats even carry back to older saves.
Every time you turn around is a chance for the game to say 'no, fuck YOU'. The rat warren map to quest markers across town that are always just far enough away from a fast travel point (or start from an infected zone). A brutal economy. Barter. Sleep. Hunger. Thirst. Infection. Item wear. The inventory. Shop inventories. Crafting.

Russians are weird. It's like Victor Frankl made an RPG while having a case of dysentery.

Oh welp. Turned it down to 'easy' and it's still a challenge and actually fun.

In B4 'do you even lift, bro?'.

The hardcore survival gameplay is the point, it's not just a pointless obstacle to prevent you from enjoying some novella about a steppe town overtaken by plague. You're supposed to struggle to find time to meet with key NPCs due to your own survival needs. The narrative of Pathologic 2 is meant to be partially glimpsed, incompletely encountered as a result of your personal decisions. If you tried to overexert yourself and end up starved with no money, that's on you. Make better decisions, or live with the ones you've made. Did you think saving the town all by yourself was going to be easy?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom