Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sarathiour

Cipher
I barely watched the thread, because i wanted to avoid spoiler as much as possible, but from what i gathered :
- It again came riddled with bug, though maybe not as bad as kingmaker release, but still horrible.
- Lot of cringey character
- Encounter tend to be inferior to kingmaker, but combat sytem is still pretty robust.

I'm probably going to raise the black flag, at least for now.

Zayne

Scholar
I also highly recommend you listen to his strategic advice.

I found Greybor's versatile troops more to my liking. They don't die after someone looks at them and can deal some damage to kill those fire immunity demons.

But definitely don't listen to Seelah and your generic advisor

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I almost agree, except Rowdy has bad saves. One level of Rowdy with anything else with two high saves that gets sneak is fantastic.

That wildly depends on Mythic path. Trickster can replace will saves with Athletics skill checks, Aeon gains immunities, Azata gains less direct immunities but shares anti-compulsion one on whole party.
Can't say about other mythic paths but there is lot of cool workarounds to bad Will saves.
And Rowdy gets last tier Vital Strike earlier than anyone else due to bypassing 16 BAB prereq.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I done the Gargoyle boss in Act 2 with zero rests with lvl 7 party on Core. Even worse because I did a tough random encounter just before returning to camp and with that whole camp thing happening, had zero rests since that battle until I killed the Gargoyle like Demon.
It was fun using potions and scrolls for last battles. Keeping last Smite Evil and Smite Chaos for the boss :D

And damn, the Mongrel archer companion is owning everyone, she is by far the best DPS character so far and she is only getting stronger.

volklore

Arcane
I barely watched the thread, because i wanted to avoid spoiler as much as possible, but from what i gathered :
- It again came riddled with bug, though maybe not as bad as kingmaker release, but still horrible.
- Lot of cringey character
- Encounter tend to be inferior to kingmaker, but combat sytem is still pretty robust.

Encounters are not inferior to KM at all - I don't see how you can come to this conclusion having played both games for at least 20 hours each.
In the first act alone I have met a ton of different encounters with different layout and immunities to go around, concealed enemies, disases, stat drains, and invisible conjurer (that one was brutal lol). Some I had to back out of because not having certain spells meant certain death (a fireballing demon out of LoS in a house, I don't think i can do this without resist energy).
In P:KM you fight mostly beasts and kobolds early on with barely any casters

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, finally a game where the difficulty settings seem to have correct meaning. Hard isn't "normal", the devs don't pull punches. Still early in chapter one (guess will storm Grey Garrison soon), but can't say its smooth sailing, even with a relatively Munchkin character (respecced back to Instinctual Warrior - Initiative helps and I hated the skill maluses of heavy armor). Need almost maximum buff in every serious encounter.
The Cambion alchemist with his Mimic buddies was brutal. Lately met the Vrock I've carefree summoned before. Fun!
In general Ember's Protective Hex is the real, huge lifesaver. Really makes more offensive focused characters viable.

Decided to just go with 1 level of Rowdy for now - 2 in Instinctual and at least 6 in Vivi - need the defensive ramp from mutagen, protective spells and Feral Wings.
Although final split is a difficult conundrum. On the one hand, I want maximum Vivi for Persistant Mutagen, Legendary Proportions, Transformation.
On the other, that won't get me Greater Vital Strike (unless I cheat with some Trickster trick), Barbarian stance +2 to hit or Debilitating Injury for -4 enemy AC for next round. As a Vital Strike build with mostly just 1 attack per round I can't take proper advantage of Debilitating - but Trickster Mobility 2 could be fun to apply Debilitating passively, by moving trough threatened zones...
I gave Protective Hex to Camilia and Ember uses Slumber

cw8

Cipher
And damn, the Mongrel archer companion is owning everyone, she is by far the best DPS character so far and she is only getting stronger.

You mean Lann? Yea he's killing everything in the game together with my Monk Scaled Fist character. Both of them are monks.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Encounters are not inferior to KM at all - I don't see how you can come to this conclusion having played both games for at least 20 hours each.

Monk's fan post, but it's sometimes hard to tell if he's shitposting or not.

cw8

Cipher

Encounters are better than Kingmaker's and harder, even on turn-based. I'm at act 2 and act 2 end dungeon is huge and epic.

I prefer the companions in Kingmaker though

ArchAngel

Arcane

Encounters are better than Kingmaker's and harder, even on turn-based. I'm at act 2 and act 2 end dungeon is huge and epic.

I prefer the companions in Kingmaker though
I agree. I played PKM with TB mod and it was easier on Core difficulty than this game with TB.
Most enemies having SR and/or elemental resistances makes the game harder for sure.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L I struck a nerve executing Regill. LMAO

Leave it to the Codex to get butthurt because you killed a bad guy who murdered unarmed and unconcious innocents who were travelling with him. HAHAHAH.

Just for that, I reloaded that save 10 more times to kill him repeatedly. LMAO

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, its always satisfying to see a build at its peek. My mad dog/gendarme Azata's mounted charge attacks really hurt.

903D86927F4AB4EED4ADD5EE843BBBE50826CF03

And this is not the full attack yet, I got 7 attacks without haste. But each crit gives a free shield bash attack and my weapon gives an extra attack next round if I crit. And with scimitar and crit focus I crit a lot.
And this is without min maxing and hell I wasn't even in rage stance ...

Edit: And just now I found a glaive (Death Pact) deals extra 6d6 unholy damage on charge attacks and summons CR 19 gallu if you kill with it O_o

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Fuck blackwater first significant bug for my playthrough where the boss
was behind force field whole fight even after disabling every clickable thingies. Changed to story difficulty since did not feel like doing that fight again.

Playful darkness was interesting not sure how I won that. 5 mins of buffing and lvl 8-9 cleric/angel spells are probably the reason and spamming heal nonstop for tank.

Bolt of Justice / Storm of justice are ridiculous spells can 1-2 shot pretty much everything.

Starting chapter 4 now enjoying game so far

ArchAngel

Arcane
L0L I struck a never executing Regill. LMAO

Leave it to the Codex to get butthurt because you killed a bad guy who murdered unarmed and unconcious innocents who were travelling with him. HAHAHAH.

Just for that, I reloaded that save 10 more times to kill him repeatedly. LMAO
You mean people that were lying on the floor dying and would get a worse death at hands of Gargoyles and while defending them others that are capable to fight would die as well? In that case, he did the right thing. He provided a quick death while also saving those that were not wounded.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey, Anonymous Wife Scholar, live up to your name and tell me one thing - is EVIL Arueshalae a romance option for demons? Or there's only GOOD romance path for her?
Yes there is evil/corrupt path and she gets new portrait.
(although that portrait is still nothing how "ebil succubus" should look like, even ancient jrpgs did this better
p5RZ8bC.jpg
)

don't know why you'd want another Camelia though, game heavily lacking in good waifu department.

Thought you said ancient jpegs. Those, er, um, did a lot of things, um ,better.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol they upped the difficulty of Wintersun. Love it.

Can actually use anti-animal/plant abilities for once.

Which part of it did they make harder? In my experience it was significantly easier, I am pretty sure they removed the Babau Interrogator from the Babau patrol just outside the village. The plants are slightly more durable now but the patrol was far more dangerous before.

The Treants have the high DC (labeled 22 but was 26) AoE Fear and are a good bit tougher. Ranger fight is just as hard. Devastator is Bloodrager now and Fang is canceling all debuffs and maluses.

Fang bug.jpg

volklore

Arcane
Playing with a Fey Sorcerer kindred raised half elf rn (respecced from sylvan early when I read that sylvan cannot pick the extra bloodline feat, kinda killed my plans), planning to go azata and go for as much control as possible. After losing the pet, I am already feeling the need for a bit more dps to take advantage of my control (rn using woljiff and seelah with a 2H atm). I don't think CamCam with slashing grace will cut it. Is there more big bad sword type companions coming later on? really feeling the need of a big STR guy with all those dex builds and support casters around... I am on the fence with hiring an instinctual barb or mutato warrior merc to fill that slot.
I also had to respec Seelah, I tried to level her as Court Poet Skald (Casting stats rage), but the achetype seems bugged and the song doesn't spread rage powers, doesn't even give them to herself.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You builds barracks and archery ranges in every fort.
How? I swear, this shit UI is making this minigame unplayable.
That is in chapter 3. In chapter 2 you just pass time and buy archers and front line soldiers. Just box your archer in one of the corners and surround it with melee. I prefer to have clerics and soldiers on the front,archers in the corner and beneath them huntsmen,the green archers. In chapter 3,once you take the fortress,you could build shit in villages. Make sure that you buy materials with your gold. By the end of the game i had more than a million gold and that much in useless equipment. Don't hold back on spending.

Also later one,once you get enough forts,you get an option to update one in to fortress,make sure that it is in strategic place,because you could build teleportation gates in them,that will save you from a lot of pointless encounters.

So I've just reached Drezen and I must say, they really upped their game when it comes to music. Soundtrack is fucking great. Also, was there ever an rpg that did a battle on this scale before? I really can't think of any that comes even close.

What isn't great is the crusade battles interface. So awkward to have to keep paying attention to direction you click on enemy units. Plus, couldn't they have hired some artists to make proper portraits of units instead of using images of their models? Just looks amateurish.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished Act 3.

Feels like the game's less than I've expected. So far Epic Mythic Path of Azata brings as much unique content as class selection in BG2 - stronghold and a few quests. Plus some flavour dialogue options. Really hope that it would change in endgame.
HOMM3 ended up quite trivial. For the whole act I've been preparing for Epic Battle against The Greatest Strategist of Abyss - Balor Khorramzadeh. Both "his" armies had no general and I had more trouble with random undead mammoth army. Dunno how "martial" generals play, but "wizards" are quite simple - they just burn everything to the ground. Again, maybe that'll change in Act 5.
Management is better than in Kingmaker. I had no time limit before going into Ivory Sanctum, so I was able to craft all artifacts and upgrade all towns. Plus, you can upgrade stuff and do some adventuring at the same time.

Lots of equipment simply doesn't work. Most glaring example for me is Half of the Pair amulet - buff icon when characters are close together works, AC and AB bonuses doesn't.

On the good side - I really enjoy companion banter. Seelah trying to make Camellia admit that she's evil is hilarious. Also, most bugs are quite minor - nothing gamebreaking or even questbreaking like on Kingmaker release. And it seems we're going to the Abyss, so I hope it will be like HotU after original NWN campaign.
It won't get better,after chapter 4 the game is not worth playing. It is chapter 3 all over again,but more boring.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, finally a game where the difficulty settings seem to have correct meaning. Hard isn't "normal", the devs don't pull punches. Still early in chapter one (guess will storm Grey Garrison soon), but can't say its smooth sailing, even with a relatively Munchkin character (respecced back to Instinctual Warrior - Initiative helps and I hated the skill maluses of heavy armor). Need almost maximum buff in every serious encounter.
The Cambion alchemist with his Mimic buddies was brutal. Lately met the Vrock I've carefree summoned before. Fun!
In general Ember's Protective Hex is the real, huge lifesaver. Really makes more offensive focused characters viable.

Decided to just go with 1 level of Rowdy for now - 2 in Instinctual and at least 6 in Vivi - need the defensive ramp from mutagen, protective spells and Feral Wings.
Although final split is a difficult conundrum. On the one hand, I want maximum Vivi for Persistant Mutagen, Legendary Proportions, Transformation.
On the other, that won't get me Greater Vital Strike (unless I cheat with some Trickster trick), Barbarian stance +2 to hit or Debilitating Injury for -4 enemy AC for next round. As a Vital Strike build with mostly just 1 attack per round I can't take proper advantage of Debilitating - but Trickster Mobility 2 could be fun to apply Debilitating passively, by moving trough threatened zones...
I gave Protective Hex to Camilia and Ember uses Slumber

I don't think Camilia will cut it to my main party. Of course, having them both with Slumber made some encounters fun.
In general once Protective Hex lasts longer then one round, I should get better mileage from Ember with her Cackle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom