Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What mods do you recommend that are better than the core game?

Unwanted

CancerUnlimited

Unwanted
What mods did you play that enhanced the gameplay in such a way that the original game pales in comparison?
Also, recommend your favorites mods.

So far I have:
* Darkest Hour (WW2 mod for Hearts of Iron) --> Kaiserreich (alternative history mod for Darkest Hour, a mod of a mod so to speak)
* Stalker Anomaly (mod for Stalker: Call of Prypyat)

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
sworflight, the aielund saga, a dance with rogues - nvn

enderal - skirim

There is one for Stalker Chernobyl that I fogot the name also

ADL

Prophet
ACE for ARMA
Darkest Hour for Red Orchestra 1
Dark Souls Daughters of Ash
Dark Souls III Cinders
Elite Force for SWAT 4
Infinite Heaven for Metal Gear Solid V TPP
ISMC for Insurgency Sandstorm
Third Age Total War
https://shardsofdalaya.com/ for Everquest
Star Wars Movie Battles II for Jedi Academy
UO Outlands
Some of these are total conversions, some just massively improve the games they're a part of but I wouldn't play any of them without these.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Enderal
Nehrim
The Hell 1 for Diablo1, even better with TH1 HD if you find it

Painkiller Supernatural 2.0 because it merge maps from other PK games (they all sucks) with better balance and without other issues that plague eastern spinoffs.

I like Anomaly and some Misery-themed mods but saying they're better than originals is bit of a stretch.

Arx Liberatis.

Care to explain more?

It's more like a mandatory patch like ZRP or SRP for Stalkers. Good riddance casting anything without it. Game was designed for classic mouse and 4:3 like 800x600, any exception and games is unplayable.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Enderal
Nehrim
The Hell 1 for Diablo1, even better with TH1 HD if you find it

Painkiller Supernatural 2.0 because it merge maps from other PK games (they all sucks) with better balance and without other issues that plague eastern spinoffs.

I like Anomaly and some Misery-themed mods but saying they're better than originals

Arx Liberatis.

Care to explain more?

It's more like a mandatory patch like ZRP or SRP for Stalkers. Good riddance casting anything without it. Game was designed for classic mouse and 4:3 like 800x600, any exception and games is unplayable.

It also adds crafting, inventory improvements etc. Basically if you are going to play Arx today, you probably want to use Liberatis.

spectre

Arcane
Not sure if the same is already true for Bannerlord, but you should pick pretty much any mod for Mount & Blade over the base game. It's so barebones there's no point in bothering.

Then there's 1.13 for Jagged Alliance 2.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Ur-Quan Masters, which I only just this past weekend got around to checking out.
Also recently tried Might and Magic Merge which makes it possible to play MM6, 7 and 8 as one continuous game under MM8 mod.

Unwanted

CancerUnlimited

Unwanted
Not sure if the same is already true for Bannerlord, but you should pick pretty much any mod for Mount & Blade over the base game. It's so barebones there's no point in bothering.

Prophesy of Pendor is my goto mod but right now I'm trying Dark Age for Viking Conquest and I have to say i'ts pretty good. It seems to fix all the gripes I had with the game and enhances the graphics and ui. The only thing I don't like is the music (it has ambient sound in battles) wich I'm modding.

Most Victoria 2 mods. They all have upsides and downsides but the main issue is that vanilla Vicky 2 has some gross historical inaccuracies to the starting map (Japan being a unitary state, for example, or the weird Qing substate breakdown) as well as extreme balance/realism issues (1840 German unification, for example, or 70-millionen-reich with no containment wars against it, or the way you can easily conquer Chinese states without any special requirements or limits). Most of the common mods fix all these issues. I think Pop Demand Mod was the one that started with the majority of those fixes, although nobody plays PDM by itself. There's no reason to ever play vanilla Victoria 2, even if it's your very first time playing. It feels like a different game, and honestly not a very good one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom