Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Better to replay Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, which also happen to be on sale for a measly $1.49 on GOG.

Thief 1&2 for another $2
System Shock Enhanced Edition for another $2.50
System Shock 2 for another $2.50
Arx Fatalis for another $2.50
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic for another $2.50

You can easily mix and match all the good reasons to never waste $7 on this.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

They also mention Syndicate and Syndicate Wars going at the same time, a couple of titles from the days before Peter Molyneux would allow anyone to have a general design credit at Bullfrog so everyone thought it was all him.

Underworld Ascendant without Doug Church was a repeat of Godus without Sean Cooper.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Best forgotten. The vid just reinforced a lot I knew except the wikia shit (people were like.. "game sucks fuck filling this in.").

Yeah, wait for Monomyth or buy Arx Fatalis.

yep, even Gog didn't get a release of this Underworld.

...... pray I didn't jinx that. SHIT HAPPENS SOMETIMES!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
yep, even Gog didn't get a release of this Underworld.

Seems like telling people to install Steam so they can get a non-DRM copy didn't go over that well, and seems like GoG felt a little burned after having indirectly helping to promote the crowdfunding campaign for the UU sequel that went UA. Y'know, no good deed goes unpunished by douchebag developers for having trusted them and paid them many times over with backing and promotion to entice more.

On top of that, it looks like Nintendo straight up told 505 Games to go fuck themselves for the Switch port (other ports were released) while even the Beavis and Butthead of gamedev could do this (Paranautical Activity).

It looks like it was so bad that 505 Games didn't even bother sending out review copies, maybe one to Playstation Universe and Xbox Hub just for contractual obligations, because metacritic only lists those. From how fast 505 Games dropped public acknowledgement of UA, I haven't seen a publisher act this spiteful to a dev studio since EA teabagged the corpse of OSI via Google-bombing the download client as Origin. I could be wrong, maybe 505 Games did send out review copies and the publications considered it a legitimate terror threat.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Underworld Ascendant is pure and utter dog shit, pure and utter tripe, worst game ever made in the Universe by far.

What did they do for all those years, suck each others cocks and self congratulate themselves on glory days long one past? ... pure wankers.

The bastards sure never spent much time on this title, the Lizard language ETC, could have been good, whole project had no direction and is an abject lesson why crowd funding is wrong, they stole from us and then panicked in last few months and released UA in a disgusting unfinished state, their reputation as producers are in ruins now.

What happened to my moronic friend Efe? he thought game was brilliant, but faded away into the darkness.

This game is pure shit and should never have been released.

Supermedo

Augur
My bad I do gain one skill point for each side quest
but I do have question, after finishing the side quest a game prompt told me that I have increased my reputation with the shamblers faction and I can only join one faction.
How do I actually join a faction, I know that increasing my reputation with a particular faction will give me a new inventory to browse in the midnight forum but what joining gonna do?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
but I do have question, after finishing the side quest a game prompt told me that I have increased my reputation with the shamblers faction and I can only join one faction.
How do I actually join a faction, I know that increasing my reputation with a particular faction will give me a new inventory to browse in the midnight forum but what joining gonna do?
Why are you doing this to yourself?

Supermedo

Augur
Because I'm type of idiot who doesn't leave the theater if the movie was shit and finish my plate if the food I ordered was bad.
This game has been in my backlog for years, I was waiting for it to get patched and somehow I forget about it till couple of days ago, to be honest it isn't that bad, I played worse.

I can tolerate the brain dead AI and the janky physics but for the life of me, the game have some weird design decisions.

• You don't have level up system instead you rely on feats to gain skills.
  • The game does not explain different mechanics like gaining a skill point through sidequest or joining a faction through reputation that unlocks items that can be only be bought by joining a faction and you can only join one faction, so If you fucked up and did quest for the shamblers (Mage Faction) while you are melee build, you just locked yourself from the best items for your build.
  • Items sometimes work and sometimes not for no reason, like Health potions or piece of the deep (the Mana potion) or different kind of foods.
  • Weapons don't have any damage number on them, in fact they all do the same damage expect for special weapons the specifically mention it in the description.
  • that the game only have like 5 type of enemies till now and aside the ripper and the lich the rest is different flavor of the same enemy type.

BruceVC

Magister
Because I'm type of idiot who doesn't leave the theater if the movie was shit and finish my plate if the food I ordered was bad.
This game has been in my backlog for years, I was waiting for it to get patched and somehow I forget about it till couple of days ago, to be honest it isn't that bad, I played worse.

I can tolerate the brain dead AI and the janky physics but for the life of me, the game have some weird design decisions.

• The game does not explain different mechanics like gaining a skill point through sidequest or joining a faction through reputation that unlocks items that can be only be bought by joining a faction and you can only join one faction, so If you fucked up and did quest for the shamblers (Mage Faction) while you are melee build, you just locked yourself from the best items for your build.
  • Items sometimes work and sometimes not for no reason, like Health potions or piece of the deep (the Mana potion) or different kind of foods.
  • Weapons don't have any damage number on them, in fact they all do the same damage expect for special weapons the specifically mention it in the description.
  • that the game only have like 5 type of enemies till now and aside the ripper and the lich the rest is different flavor of the same enemy type.
My main gripe with this game is I bought it on Steam but I havent played it yet because of all the issues gamers have raised. I appreciate you being a little positive but when you raise your list of weird design decisions just the fact their are only 5 enemies is enough to put me off

Eli_Havelock

Learned
My main gripe with this game is I bought it on Steam but I havent played it yet because of all the issues gamers have raised. I appreciate you being a little positive but when you raise your list of weird design decisions just the fact their are only 5 enemies is enough to put me off

At that point - if you're really determined to play this when there's been a regular list posted of cheaper but better alternatives wherever this game is still being mourned with kerosene and urine - it's probably best to imagine it as a parody of the Imm Sim genre.

It's the only way to be nice about how some of the idiots there at OSE thought they were making DM M&M instead of a UU sequel.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's the only way to be nice about how some of the idiots there at OSE thought they were making DM M&M instead of a UU sequel.
I really doubt this, I think they knew it sucked and were just cashing out after their funding pyramid scheme fell apart vis-a-viz poor sales of Underworld Overlord. They were grifters, and didn't have the honesty to level with the community after they stole from Peter to pay Paul.

And even though internal projections said Paul would win it big and pay them back 10x, turns out he liked to hit the rock a bit too much and was less than reliable...

Cael

Arcane

Sunk cost fallacy taken to the extreme. You basically sunk some money, which is readily recouped via judicious investments, and raised the loss with irrecoverable time.

Supermedo

Augur
Yeah I just finished the game, all I can say is Meh.

Yeah to be honest it isn't worth the time investment, unless you have nothing else to play, I didn't hate it and my feeling during 15 hours of play was lukewarm, I already forget everything about the game, the only highlight was starting a fire on big wooden scaffold and watching it burn and AI Spazzing out with my ingame FPS with it.

BruceVC

Magister
Yeah I just finished the game, all I can say is Meh.

Yeah to be honest it isn't worth the time investment, unless you have nothing else to play, I didn't hate it and my feeling during 15 hours of play was lukewarm, I already forget everything about the game, the only highlight was starting a fire on big wooden scaffold and watching it burn and AI Spazzing out with my ingame FPS with it.
Im very similar to you in the sense " I'm type of idiot who doesn't leave the theater if the movie was shit and finish my plate if the food I ordered was bad"
It takes a lot for me to not finish something I have paid for and when it comes to games I read reviews and the opinions of gamers matter. But I generally listen to my brothers and RL friends over any other recommendations. But Codex has so many members who play so many games I like or want to play I can believe certain bad reviews of games are not worth wasting time on ...like Lionheart : Legacy of Crusade
No one I know in RL had played Underworld and I really wanted it to be good, I believed the developers original marketing vision and it sounded great. But after release it had very bad opinions on Steam and then when I became active on Codex a couple of months ago this thread and the various criticisms confirmed it wasnt a good game
But I am glad you had played it and had some fun but I more glad you summarized the weird design decisions because that was all I needed to know I wouldnt enjoy it. So I wont waste time on it because I have a long list of unplayed Steam and GOG games and many of my unplayed games come highly recommended :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom