Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cadmus

Arcane
Anybody can link me a video tutorial for the kingdom managment? I think I will quit the game if I need to bother with it.

Efe

Erudite
set kingdom difficulty to easy. do not do curses right away. you need to improve divine and ublock arcane asap.
same with community etc. you need to reach thresholds to unlock new advisors.
steam has guides.

set taxes to zero

ferratilis

Magister
I finally found enough time to dig into this game properly, and it's really good (I started a few playthroughs before, but always abandoned them due to lack of time). I'm playing as a fighter on Challenging difficulty, which feels well balanced so far (except for a few odd skill checks here and there). 35 hours in, currently dealing with Troll Trouble in act 2. So far, so good.

One impressive thing is that this game truly feels like it's from another time. It doesn't have that Sawyer's phobia of turning players away with unforgiving quests, and making every stat do something for every class. You can fuck up here, which I like. And you can cast buffs before the fight, thank god for that. The entire quest design of Kingmaker feels like a big 'fuck you' to modern cRPGs. Starting from the fangberries quest, Stag Lord fort, the nymph ambush, all of these will take numerous tries for those uninitiated to the ruleset. The first spider swarm encounter was amusing lol. Very brave from Owlcat, and it makes for a great experience for those who are patient. The nymph ambush took me around 10 tries, but finally getting through it felt very good (fuck redcaps btw).

As for the kingdom management, I just read the top guide on Steam which explains things well, most important being the placement of buildings imo. But even without that, things are explained well enough in the game, there's just a lot of reading to do. If it gets too annoying, I'll install the mod that resolves every project in one day. But so far, it's not too intrusive, I just don't like how much traveling you have to do around your barony.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is it possible to defeat astradaemons and thanadaemons that spawn after you take valuable gems out of the statue in Vordakai's tomb? Or that encounter was supposed to be unwinnable?

Yosharian

Arcane
Is it possible to defeat astradaemons and thanadaemons that spawn after you take valuable gems out of the statue in Vordakai's tomb? Or that encounter was supposed to be unwinnable?
Everything is winnable, not sure exactly which encounter you're talking about though. Why can't you defeat them?

Wunderbar

Arcane
not sure exactly which encounter you're talking about though.
there's a room with an athletics check near the end of the dungeon. Once you are there, Tristian says something like "this room is evil, we must leave it and seal the door behind us". Inside, there's a statue with lootable head that contains two expensive gemstones, and an altar that gives you a feat if you sprinkle it with your blood. If you try to steal gemstones from statue's head, multiple astradaemons and thanadaemons spawn, and promptly rape your party using negative levels spells.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
there's a room with an athletics check near the end of the dungeon. Once you are there, Tristian says something like "this room is evil, we must leave it and seal the door behind us". Inside, there's a statue with lootable head that contains two expensive gemstones, and an altar that gives you a feat if you sprinkle it with your blood. If you try to steal gemstones from statue's head, multiple astradaemons and thanadaemons spawn, and promptly rape your party using negative levels spells.

Death ward should help with those, iirc or negative protection, or what's it called.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I'm plodding through this game because I told myself I'd finish it before starting on WOTR... I'm at Vordakai's tomb at apparently 50ish hours of gameplay, and it seems like I have yet more to come.

What would people on this thread do? Should I stick with it? I feel like I'm running out of steam a bit, although I've enjoyed it so far.

ferratilis

Magister
How the hell are you in Vordakai's Tomb at 50h of gameplay? I'm still in Season of Bloom and have more than 60h lol

A question about the respec mod: my PC is lawful good, if I use the respec mod to make a new build and also pick lawful good, what happens to my campaign and kingdom? Will anything get fucked up?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
How the hell are you in Vordakai's Tomb at 50h of gameplay? I'm still in Season of Bloom and have more than 60h lol

A question about the respec mod: my PC is lawful good, if I use the respec mod to make a new build and also pick lawful good, what happens to my campaign and kingdom? Will anything get fucked up?
You don't need to use a mod to respec your main. You only need the mod to change the stats/early levels of your companions. Just talk to the Pathfinder society woman who hangs out in the tavern. I've never changed alignment during a playthrough so I can't answer your actual question. If you're playing on challenging or harder you'll need to turn the option to respec on in the difficulty menu. You can turn it back off after with no consequence.

I wouldn't fuck with that mod if I were you, not on a save that you have a lot of time in. It can do weird shit to your characters' appearance that doesn't pop up until much later. I've lost about 15h of progress this way. The respec mod did this:

2DucVhE.png

Just respec your main using the built in method. If you've already used up all the free ones then pay. You get very rich later anyway.

Yosharian

Arcane
Uhhh Death Ward?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing through this again. My character is a wizard conjurer, and I brought the midget bard, barbarian lady, tower shield lady, dead lady, and healer/buffer who can't fight. I'm enjoying the pit spells and the necromancer spell that automatically hits (bonebreaker or something). We're all low level still, so we got wrecked by the werewolves in the cave (but otherwise defeated all opponents before killing the stag lord).

Yosharian

Arcane
The only astra/thanademon that I've fought that was remotely challenging was the one that spawns in special circumstances regarding the Cloak of Sold Souls, even he is just a matter of bursting him down before he hurts you too much, not too difficult if you have the right setup.

kangaxx

Arbiter

I read some advice online beforehand that you should finish off the story missions with extreme prejudice or you risk a game over screen. So while I've been doing most of the side content, I haven't been exploring random map areas unless it's the between-chapter down time. Maybe that's how? Anyway Steam tells me I'm now on about 60h and I'm in the

barbarian extermination section straight after Vordakai.

Efe

Erudite
you should explore as much as you can between chapters
iirc you can get silverstep quite early

ferratilis

Magister
Is there a way to start Varnhold DLC during campaign? I have finished Season of Bloom, my party is level 10 and I still have a lot of time until next development in the Curse quest, so I decided to go to Varnhold, but I can only chat with Varn and that's it. He doesn't give any quests. What gives?

Wunderbar

Arcane
ferratilis Varnhold DLC is a separate campaign, you can start it at any point. Just press "new game", choose it in the menu and import your main campaign save.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
ferratilis Varnhold DLC is a separate campaign, you can start it at any point. Just press "new game", choose it in the menu and import your main campaign save.

And it's a good idea to do it before the varnhold chapter as it ties into the chapter in the main game. Plus the dungeon in the Varnhold DLC is very cool.

Thonius

Arcane

I read some advice online beforehand that you should finish off the story missions with extreme prejudice or you risk a game over screen. So while I've been doing most of the side content, I haven't been exploring random map areas unless it's the between-chapter down time. Maybe that's how? Anyway Steam tells me I'm now on about 60h and I'm in the

barbarian extermination section straight after Vordakai.
Build teleports, you'll have plenty of time.
Also do not rush your playthrough, maybe they will release DLC plus it's easy to burn out if you rush it.

Efe

Erudite
Teleporters are good advice though I doubt kingmaker will get any dlc at this point and definitely be urgent with main quest.
just dont sit on your ass for rest of the map

Naharcito

Novice
I started playing this two weeks ago after getting bored as fuck with Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm enjoying so far the game, but I just failed 102 attacks in a row with bless, inspire courage from Linzi and I want to ask a question: is the RNG of this game just crap or am I missing something?

The enemy in question had 26 AC. My most buffed warrior (Amiri) was attacking with +13 and the least buffed was attacking with +6. I didn't even hit my target once in 21 rounds of combat. Is this like that the whole game?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I started playing this two weeks ago after getting bored as fuck with Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm enjoying so far the game, but I just failed 102 attacks in a row with bless, inspire courage from Linzi and I want to ask a question: is the RNG of this game just crap or am I missing something?

The enemy in question had 26 AC. My most buffed warrior (Amiri) was attacking with +13 and the least buffed was attacking with +6. I didn't even hit my target once in 21 rounds of combat. Is this like that the whole game?
What enemy was this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom