Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Parabalus
Arelshallala portrait went gray cause she died during Staunton fight, how do I get her back to normal?

You have to rez her, Arsinoe by the church sells scrolls and Diamonds. Or use dragon scale.

Finally finished Drezen, took 4 fucking hours, good dungeon though it’s too long, and I rested twice.

Resurrect her? You need to spend 5k gold to do that if you have access to level 5 cleric spells. If not you need to buy a scroll from a priest. You can also use dragon scale to bring her back if you found it earlier, but doing that will probably block you from becoming a gold dragon.

There are multiple scales, not sure If you even need it after showing it to the storyteller, to get the quest for the claw.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Man, if they have to make romance in rpgs at least make the candidates each have their very specific standards and preferences, like in Arcanum.
Having Daeran give my 8 CHA old Dwarf a full room of rose petals feels super weird. If I wanted to play a gay character I'd have rolled an elf.
Maybe when he offered to join your party you should have told him go away like I did and you would not have this problem with your dwarf.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Man, if they have to make romance in rpgs at least make the candidates each have their very specific standards and preferences, like in Arcanum.
Having Daeran give my 8 CHA old Dwarf a full room of rose petals feels super weird. If I wanted to play a gay character I'd have rolled an elf.

He's a gigantic slut that will fuck everything that moves and most immovable objects.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It takes at least 40 hours to get there, until then they are the most prominent mandatory NPCs of the entire crusade.
They have less than 50 lines of dialogue from the start of Chapter 2 to the end of Chapter 3 combined, if you don't count Irabeths Council dialogue. Insanely mandatory and prominent characters. The game focuses very much on companions, and side characters are just there to fill in the blanks, with the exception of Galfrey, the Storyteller and the Herald. Multiple Act 4 Quest NPCS have more text than Anevia+Irabeth have in Chapter 2 and 3 combined. I'm not sure if we've been playing a different game, but my interactions with Irabeth in all of Chapter 2 were getting her to get us reinforcements, rescuing here from the Gargoyles, hitting her in the face before Drezen, and getting 4 quests dumped into my log by her after taking Drezen. After that shes a council member and a quest turn-in and no other interactions happen at any point. Anevia has even fewer appearances.

If, within 40hours of gameplay, you think that those are "major NPCs" then we're either not playing the same game, or are speaking the same language. Nurah and her traitor storyline feature more prominently than those 2 characters do, and the rest of the show is stolen by Regill, Kaylessa and the Kobold.
That's not how romances usually work in RPGs. For all other companions you need to initiate romance, they won't go out of their way to court you. It's written that way to make sure that journos don't miss that option by mistake. Most people will trigger these events unless they are needlessly hostile to useful NPCs.
Neither do the WotR companions, unless you start being coy and flirty with them. Wenduag acts like a pet around you, but you can tell her to cut it out and you will not get any romance-like conversations unless you're specifically seeking her out about it. Daeran is the one exception here, who is actively trying to court the MC. I find that refreshing, not annoying, as it breaks up the typical "go through all dialogue options to romance character X after each chapter" MO that all the other RPGs adopt. Just tell him you're not interested and he'll never press you about it again. Is that really that big of a deal? I'd think that the codex of all places would appreciate writing that strays from the established behavior of companions to have them be more independent and take initiative, like they do in WotR.

but this is simply the case of people playing the game normally and talking about what they see.
If by "playing the game and talking about what they see" you mean that people need to go out of their way to do the gay couples completely optional sidequest, read their lore-only letter, and exhaust every single dialogue option with the gay couple, then yeah, they're in for some gay content. What a surprise. Just don't engage with them if you don't like it? I fail to see the problem. The quest doesn't even give an item, just 500gold or some shit.

When I first played the game and Anevia comes in and calls the ugly orc her wife, I was like "oh no, please not again" because I myself am certainly not looking forward to play yet another game that suffers from these writing issues. But the more I played, the more I realized that it's not a major plot point and is barely brought ever again after their initial reunion. Even in their interactions with one another, you can barely tell that they're a couple. Ultimately not Owlcats fault, when the source material has these character dynamics pre-written already. For how liberal and "progressive" the source material and the Worldwound AP is at times, the game is trying to stay away from those topics as much as possible. They certainly could've made a bigger deal about the fact that Anevia used to have a dick, for example. Now that would've truly been annoying. But it's done in such a subtle and minor way, that most people miss that fact entirely.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game spams Lore (Nature) checks on the overworld map when travelling, what's up with that?
Skill description says it can delay fatigue. No idea how it works exactly.

I am not a 100% sure, but it seem to happen on some "difficult terrain" like the rifts in Kenabres. Look like it slows you down (like mountains had movement speed penalty on worldmap in Kingmaker) and beating this skill checks helps to prevent extra fatigue accumulation.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
She's not well written, I agree with that. But her behaviour doesn't seem out of place at all, and as her personal quest comes along and you get to Act 5, shes undergone some fairly significant changes.

I'm not saying her acting like an uncivilized brute is out of place, I'm saying she should be acting like that more, given her background.

I hate to bring up Annah, because after twenty odd years we should have better references, but with her, what she says and how she says it is perfectly in sync with who she is and where she came from. Some berk gave a fuck when they wrote her.

Wenduag's mostly flavourless in comparison. Where are her unique speech mannerisms? Where's her filtering all the new information though her unique, but limited experiences? Where's the quest where you have to procure a solution to her going blind on the surface?

:negative:

I agree with your main point (there could have been more detail and reactivity), but I don't think the neathers should be depicted as all that brutal. They are very materially poor, sure, but they haven't regressed to total savagery. They have pride in their origins and they have a social structure with regular timekeeping (the gong), moots, etc. - they even have a museum of sorts - so it's not that weird that they should be educated to some level. Re. Wendy being baffled by shopping, that would actually be out of place because there's a vendor in neather town - although IIRC the vendor complains that the neathers don't grok trade very well, they're not totally unfamiliar with it. Gwern also comments that they seem like reasonable people who hold to agreements. Quite an interesting concept really.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I agree with your main point (there could have been more detail and reactivity), but I don't think the neathers should be depicted as all that brutal. They are very materially poor, sure, but they haven't regressed to total savagery. They have pride in their origins and they have a social structure with regular timekeeping (the gong), moots, etc. - they even have a museum of sorts - so it's not that weird that they should be educated to some level. Re. Wendy being baffled by shopping, that would actually be out of place because there's a vendor in neather town - although IIRC the vendor complains that the neathers don't grok trade very well, they're not totally unfamiliar with it. Gwern also comments that they seem like reasonable people who hold to agreements. Quite an interesting concept really.
I think one thing thats important to keep in mind, is that Wenduag is not a good representation of the Neathers. She wants to take them down an entirely different path, whereas most of the Mongrels would side with Lann over Wenduag anytime. Lann certainly holds a certain reverence not only for their ancestors and heritage, but humans and the crusades in general. Wenduag is the outcast for a multitude of reasons, and her being abrasive and submissive are less of a reflection of her heritage, but her character. That part of her personality is then reflected within the romance itself as well, obviously. She definitely eems to enjoy a certain level of humilitation and servitude.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have to admit, the faggotry the devs evidently expect some players to indulge in with Sosiel made me feel quite queasy. I've been invited to do gay flirtation in just about every conversation with him.

Which is quite annoying for someone who's OCD about clicking every dialogue option that's not grey :)

If they want to have an option for gay flirtation, they should have it initiated from the NPC's side, or have some sort of neutral interaction option that flags interest short of "I want you to paint me in the nude, you sexy black hunk of a man you."

Again, the activist idea is to normalize that stuff, to make it all seem like we're on the verge of gay luxury space Communism with puppies and rainbows - but it's not normal, it's not what most players are going to be interested in, and gay luxury space Communism can go fuck itself.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I will never cease to be amazed by pcgamer reviews and their ability to say very little in so many words.

Which brings me something else I've seen a fair few journos wet themselves over but which has absolutely baffled me now that I'm at the end game: Finnean, the talking weapon of the game.

Finnean according to journos: amazing revolutionary piece of game design so you ain't dependent on finding gear because finnean can be any weapon you want to be, much wow.

Me: Dafuq? Other then having ghost touch and cold iron I think it's just a +1 weapon that gets immediately replaced by the first decent weapon I get.
It remains at +1 for most of the game since the quest location to upgrade it is in a spot guarded by tough demons which most people will not reach in act 3.
And then when you do that quest about 60 hours in? Well if you're of a good disposition you do the right thing and free the sword where it becomes an okayish +5 but by that point you're rolling in magical weapons and also it's a longsword which means it's for Seelah who already has like a dozen good longsword options.

Say what you will about poe2, but Modwyr was 100x a better talking weapon and stayed consistently useful.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
people need to go out of their way to do the gay couples completely optional sidequest, read their lore-only letter, and exhaust every single dialogue option with the gay couple, then yeah, they're in for some gay content.
The problem is - if you remove the words "gay" or "gay couple", then this how CRPG's are played by prestigious autists that are well presented in this noble asembly. Yes, personally I will exhaust all dialogue options, read all the letters I can find, do completely optional sidequests, reload on failed PER checks (or roll a character with high WIS), and so on. That is how I am playing CRPG's for a long time. And now you are telling me that I am at risk of stepping on some "gay content" this way?

Granted, it was the same with Bioware (with increased "inclusivity" from DA: O to DA: I), but this your argument kind of smells bad. Smells of... well, SJW. And may be of smoke from some downtown shops in the US.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Say what you will about poe2, but Modwyr was 100x a better talking weapon and stayed consistently useful.

Modwyr's quest was quite cool, even a bit moving, and you had several possible resolutions.

Yeah Finnean's an okay backstop early in the game especially for giving companions something useful until they get something more useful, but +1 gets old pretty fast.

Sheepherder

Augur
Withering Life, a lich ability which inflicts stat damage on living things, works with magic missiles! No saves, just get through SR, deal at least 1 force damage and apply -5 STR/DEX/CON or -5 INT/WIS/CHA per cast. I guess that's one way to lower enemy saves, especially with a quickened rod or something.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I agree with your main point (there could have been more detail and reactivity), but I don't think the neathers should be depicted as all that brutal.

I refer to Wendy as a brute because of her alignment. Simple and evil rarely gets you anything else. I'd expect most other mongrels to have a sense of down-to-earth pragmatism.

Yeah Finnean's an okay backstop early in the game, but +1 gets old pretty fast.

He goes up to +3 at least.

Shadenuat

Arcane
All new talking weapons including even Lilarcor are just annoying meme at this point. Planescape did it because it was a game about even items having memories of TNOs pasts; other RPGs used them as checklist gimmick instead.

Daidre

Arcane
Neither do the WotR companions, unless you start being coy and flirty with them. Wenduag acts like a pet around you, but you can tell her to cut it out and you will not get any romance-like conversations unless you're specifically seeking her out about it. Daeran is the one exception here, who is actively trying to court the MC.

Honestly people, this exact dialogue triggers like from mile away when you sent to look at your camp in the beginning of the Ch2.
pAXOjDN.jpg

Just click 1. and feel safe. What else do you need, alert window with "Attention! DaeranRomanceActive will be set to 2, do you wish to proceed?" message?)

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Sadly, it seems that Mythic Vital Strike still doesn't work properly with the Paladin's Smite Evil. It should multiply the damage bonus from Smite Evil (because it's a flat bonus that gets multiplied with a critical hit), but right now it only gets added once. Here I have a level 8 Paladin with a normal flat bonus to damage of +26. With Mythic Vital Strike, the damage bonus becomes +52, and with Smite Evil it should become +68. However, it's only +60:

Spoiler, I guess
Screenshot-5.png
Haplo Desiderius am I missing something?

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I agree with your main point (there could have been more detail and reactivity), but I don't think the neathers should be depicted as all that brutal.

I refer to Wendy as a brute because of her alignment. Simple and evil rarely gets you anything else. I'd expect most other mongrels to have a sense of down-to-earth pragmatism.

Yeah Finnean's an okay backstop early in the game, but +1 gets old pretty fast.

He goes up to +3 at least.

How? I've been pulling him out and talking to him regularly but the convo hasn't been updating with anything new.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
How? I've been pulling him out and talking to him regularly but the convo hasn't been updating with anything new.

I... don't actually know. He's been a +3, Brilliant Energy, Heartseeker fauchard since I was level 10.

I suspect he might be level gated?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom