Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Bloodline - aRPG inspired by Mount and Blade and Skyrim

mondblut

Arcane
Besides attempting to do ultra realistic graphics means that most of these projects won't be releasing at all.

- It looks like shit.
- Hurr-durr, but ultra realistic graphics...

Nigga, how "ultra realistic" is Morrowind? Wizardry 8? Mount & Blade itself, for fucksake?

You don't need 100000 polygons with ray tracing and sheeit, all you need is for the characters to not look retarded.

The videos with spells are pretty damn impressive, but these minecraft-tier lego stick figures need to go.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This looks like its going pretty good. I don't mind the graphics as much as other people, but I can see where it might annoy some people. Judging by the way the game is set up, it looks like its going for a very reactive kind of game so I can forgive that.
Not sure where Mount & Blade comes in though...

notpl

Arbiter
This looks like it's shaping up to be a spectacular little sandbox. I just pray that won't be *all* it is - I'm so tired of pointless collectathon games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The game better have armies tens of thousand strong to justify characters looking like Minecraft blocky blobs.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ha, one of those. I see.
I have been following the development from the beginning and I think there is much more to consider, beyond the assets used. The outside of the package may appear already seen, but the contents are what counts. This is not a cheap game, you will see.

Zanzoken

Arcane
As someone who's also thought about using these Polygon assets to try to make a commercial game, are there any relatively easy techniques to make them better / more visually distinct so that people don't automatically recognize them as being store assets? Apart from going in and making extensive edits by hand, of course, which is prohibitively time-consuming and defeats the purpose of using premade assets to begin with.

Personally I don't really mind the assets, but I see a lot of complaints about graphics even on the Codex, where supposedly we're a more refined audience who cares about gameplay more than AAA visuals. Maybe this is more of a Workshop question but curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
As someone who's also thought about using these Polygon assets to try to make a commercial game, are there any relatively easy techniques to make them better / more visually distinct so that people don't automatically recognize them as being store assets? Apart from going in and making extensive edits by hand, of course, which is prohibitively time-consuming and defeats the purpose of using premade assets to begin with.

Personally I don't really mind the assets, but I see a lot of complaints about graphics even on the Codex, where supposedly we're a more refined audience who cares about gameplay more than AAA visuals. Maybe this is more of a Workshop question but curious if anyone has any thoughts.
As far as I know the developer has hired a freelancer to make changes to the assets, obviously keeping the costs reasonable. There were also contests to create new elements proposed by users.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

We care about gameplay more than visuals but that is not the same as saying we never cared about visuals at all.

Bad graphics on low budget games is something to be tolerated, it isn't supposed to be some kind of artistic statement. We have many retro boomer shooters that don't even remotely look anywhere near as good as the originals, either Doom or Quake, games that are decades old now.

Original Mount and Blade is a case in point since that game was also made by some dude and his wife, was it not? And the graphics were definitely low budget but they weren't "bad" on purpose and the game didn't look like Minecraft.

There's a Battlefield indie clone that is making rounds since aparently it is also made by a couple of guys and is supposed to be actually pretty good. The game also has cartoony Minecraft graphics. Why didn't the devs of that game do what the devs of Mount & Blade did back in the day? It defiitely feels more like this is a conscious aesthetic choice rather than a question of mere "necessity" due to budget constraints.

Kruyurk

Learned
It defiitely feels more like this is a conscious aesthetic choice rather than a question of mere "necessity" due to budget constraints.
I don't think so. My guess would be that he decided to go all-in on the mechanic/gameplay because he knew it would be the strong point. If the game was looking a bit better while also a bit less interesting in the actual gameplay, it would end up being "generic low budget action RPG #632". It is smart to know what is your strong point and to build around it, rather than spreading yourself thin and losing focus.

I just hope that the gameplay will have some depth to it, and not just be some ragdoll meme game.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron

We care about gameplay more than visuals but that is not the same as saying we never cared about visuals at all.

Bad graphics on low budget games is something to be tolerated, it isn't supposed to be some kind of artistic statement. We have many retro boomer shooters that don't even remotely look anywhere near as good as the originals, either Doom or Quake, games that are decades old now.

Original Mount and Blade is a case in point since that game was also made by some dude and his wife, was it not? And the graphics were definitely low budget but they weren't "bad" on purpose and the game didn't look like Minecraft.

There's a Battlefield indie clone that is making rounds since aparently it is also made by a couple of guys and is supposed to be actually pretty good. The game also has cartoony Minecraft graphics. Why didn't the devs of that game do what the devs of Mount & Blade did back in the day? It defiitely feels more like this is a conscious aesthetic choice rather than a question of mere "necessity" due to budget constraints.
I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly the first Mount&Blade took around 8 years of development, with one of the developers taking care of the code and the other (the wife) of the graphics. So it's all a question of time and budget, not everyone can afford this luxury and in any case the ready-made assets I don't think can be defined as "bad graphic", perhaps anonymous but if the contents are of a high standard (as it seems to be in this case) I think we can easily ignore it. The important thing is that the game ultimately has a soul. My 2 cents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom