Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
haven't looked at the cards for Innistrad yet so lord only knows if I'll feel that way about it. I did see the land cycle for it doesn't feel that thrilling.
cant say im excited about it. My main hope for it were gaining high power zombies to make zombies brawl a thing. There are some but I guess my expectations were higher. Also no planeswalker to support them? Also a bit odd as commander deck seem to be dimir zombies focused, while regular set is all over the place with golgari and rakdos dips.

Cool thing is that curses are back(although not very exciting) and pitching needle that will be banned in brawl anyway. Also dont quite like that its colorless

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
changed my mind, new set is awesome and is savior is uncommon:
Vengeful-Strangler-MID-672.jpg
Strangling-Grasp-MID-672.jpg

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I haven't checked this thread much recently, but in case it was not posted:

PARCELMYR

SCALEUP

cant say im excited about it. My main hope for it were gaining high power zombies to make zombies brawl a thing. There are some but I guess my expectations were higher. Also no planeswalker to support them? Also a bit odd as commander deck seem to be dimir zombies focused, while regular set is all over the place with golgari and rakdos dips.
I think they were doing double Innistrad sets, so maybe the next one will have more zombies. IIRC the general themes were werewolves first and then vampires so maybe vampires will lead to more zombies.

Played more Jumpstart even after I said I quit. Been playing more historic too. Actually been playing more than the minimum "One or two wins a day for gold and quest progress", OHHHHHHHHH THEY'VE FUCKIN' GOT ME.

:stunned:

I will now take the opportunity to slightly bitch about coco, not that the card itself is too strong (It isn't, fuck control) but rather it almost feels like you're punished if you're playing creatures and not playing green specifically for coco. Been fucking around with wh*te supremacist humans, azorius flickering, dimir ninjas, and even though they can all manage to win games you're fighting an uphill battle by not using coco. And since I like turning creatures sideways that's a bit of a drag.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
it almost feels like you're punished if you're playing creatures and not playing green specifically for coco.
yes. Example I really hate: rakdos sacc that is just inferior to green splash for coco

in other news, It was common knowledge by now that arena state of the game is marketing article and not... well... discussing actual state of the game. It is especially hilarious though when state of the game does not mention anything about bugs and what would be expected timeline to resolve them.
Not like they make it easy to spread awareness of them, just few things Ive learnt:
- in general game is so buggy that support is 2+ weeks behind on responding to requests
- % of player base cant log into their accounts
- some players that reach mythic get reset to bronze
- if you hit mythic while doing event, your progress is locked - win and losses are not registered once you are in mythic limited
- matchmaking algorithms are not working
- some bans are still not working
- trackers are broken due to some stuff no longer being logged
- mastery sometimes do not give awards
- mastery awards are lost if you gain more than 1 level at once

and at this point I decided to stop typing from my memory. One thing is for sure, do not buy mastery early on nor participate in drafts

oh wait, they did acknowledge some things with next announcement:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...tal/mtg-arena-announcements-september-15-2021

looks like I will finally stop facing golos and friends. Will have to revisit some decks of mine, was packed with discards to make golos players concede
Been a while since I played against fun commander
Nice, I might have to look at that again too. Hadn't been playing as much since while I dodged Golos I was getting tired of every single opponent playing Nicol Bolas. October 1st for cheap drafting on Innistrad, too. Not sure if I'll use gems just to let my depleted gold reserves fill back up, IIRC the only things that are much more favorably priced in gold are Jumpstart and historic anthologies and we're probably not going to get either of those soon.

Completely unrelated to anything else, but if you haven't checked out the animation for the exquisite gelatinous cube sleeve you should. Saw that for the first time the other day and it cracked me up.

Egg gibs were valakut awakening (Meh), elvish warmaster (S'ok, still haven't historic elfed but if I do I'll want him), witherbloom command (Eh), Volo guide to monsters (Eh), spectral adversary (No idea), curse of silence (No idea), rite of harmony (No idea), wake to slaughter (No idea), Liesa forgotten archangel (No idea), and pithing needle (Will want a few but I imagine they'll get passed in limited a lot so... Eh). EH I SAY.

Mastery pass rewards are beefed up since we've only got a couple months until the next set though, so that's nice. PLAYMID for the 3 packs, although I just used it and didn't get packs so you know how it is. Guess I might finally try to find where MTGA support is so I can bitch at them since I didn't do it for rare ICRs not being added but I will bitch about 3 boosters falling into the ether.

Edit: Apparently BORROWEDTIME will give 4,000 XP since they didn't reset the weekly XP meter like they were supposed to, though I'm not going to enter it yet myself. Did find where I can send them a ticket to yell about my packs.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Mastery pass rewards are beefed up since we've only got a couple months until the next set though, so that's nice. PLAYMID for the 3 packs, although I just used it and didn't get packs so you know how it is. Guess I might finally try to find where MTGA support is so I can bitch at them since I didn't do it for rare ICRs not being added but I will bitch about 3 boosters falling into the ether.
quick scouting shows that its often the case. For me, after prolonged server hang i received a single pack. We deserve this for trying to punch in codes during 1st day

We deserve this for trying to punch in codes during 1st day
Possibly. I was actually thinking it was a bad idea for me to use the code but I did it anyway. On the bright side when I checked my packs now they did eventually all show up and my ticket is still in progress so either I'll waste their time or maybe they'll give me some pity packs for whining, which I'll gladly take due to the fucked up ICRs I never bitched about anyway. It is a bit odd how fucking shoddy MTGA seems to run compared to every other digital CCG with the possible exception of Gwent which may be the only one that feels buggier and more slapdash. Or did, maybe it's better now that the game's lost tons of players and it's years after release.

And WotC is on the ball when it comes to not over-awarding packs. They said that it's fixed now and no additional packs arrived. Funny how they're selectively effective. :argh:

The leading authority of MTG has spoken, Luka. Zombies are on.

(Don't think I've even played any standard since rotation hit but one day, one day)

MAN. There I was playing Kaalia in historic brawl. Get matched up against someone playing Tiamat, coupla dorks looking to play big dragons and shit. We're on the same wavelength, looking to have fun. Dude's even got most of the cards in his deck blinged out. I end up winning since I made sure I had some interaction crammed between the angels/demons/dragons so I can sweep some of his weaker early game stuff and imprison some of the bigger shit later. He plays Tiamat, gets 5 huge dragons into his hand, I clear the way since he can only play a single fat dragon every turn and swing in for lethal and then he ropes me. Why, WHY!? WE'RE BOTH PLAYING GODDAMN BIG DUMB CREATURE DECKS IN HISTORIC BRAWL EVEN! TIAMAT'S 5 COLOR YOU COULD BE PLAYING SWORDS TO PLOUGHSHARES TOO REEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
We're on the same wavelength, looking to have fun.
I fully expected to read 'and then he dropped ugin'.

Nothing worse than battle of mono color commanders... and then enemy drops ugin

75% of my matches are against that 2 mana wg enchantress. Im dead inside from repetition. What is alternative, grab some tier1 commander to face golos most of the time?

I fully expected to read 'and then he dropped ugin'.

Nothing worse than battle of mono color commanders... and then enemy drops ugin

75% of my matches are against that 2 mana wg enchantress. Im dead inside from repetition. What is alternative, grab some tier1 commander to face golos most of the time?
I had one match where my opponent was mono black and played one billion mana rocks and dropped Ulamog, but at that point I was still able to get lethal since a lot of the angels/demons/dragons have flying so I'd been nibbling at him the whole game already and I was able to use Kolaghan's command for more face damage and bring goldspan back from the yard. Ugin's the usual "Fun stops here" moment though, you're right.

I've bumped into the wg enchantress fairly often too, my only plan against her is to mulligan fairly aggressively for either removal or enough rocks that I hope I can just overwhelm with threats. Always hope for the removal though since it's much harder to win with threats against all that card draw. Fairly like to hit some, but some of them whiff against that commander. But I've got... 20 pieces of targeted removal and sweepers that could hit her. Some of it's kinda late and/or clunky, like Orcus, but that becomes less of an issue if I can nail her once or twice in the early game. Haven't hit a single Golos commander though, your decks may be too good Luka.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Haven't hit a single Golos commander though, your decks may be too good Luka.
I havent since they fixed their queue.

Ugin's the usual "Fun stops here" moment though, you're right.
there is also ultimatum although that one requires 3 colors so its usually fine if you play 1 color commander

Im slowly entertaining idea of mono blue commander, eyeing kira/merfolks/lier. Or maybe finally get dimir or rakdos, like valki.
Still it feels like I wont be done with mono b until I get nice zombies.

btw after so many games with tergrid, there are 2 cards that are yet to sway game in meaningful way:
revel in riches and trespasser curse.
revel in riches is yet to win me single game. Even if enemy got many critters, I usually spend amassed treasures to stay alive after wasting 5 mana play early on. Late game it matters little anyway. Will swap with meathook massacre once i obtain it.
Curse is hard to quantify. Never won me a game even against enemy producing a lot of tokens, yet it could provide me with much life that was hard to notice in long run. Perhaps memory of Krenko being around is strong, I hardly see him anymore

anyway its hard to fit all cool black cards under 100

I'd think rakdos might work better if you want to go for a revel in riches play. Get all the treasure generation in red to help out with it, only disappointing thing is trying to dig up revel. I guess mastermind's acquisition would let you tutor it, don't think any other tutors in black or red would let you hit it reasonably. That wishbone talisman or whatever it's called, but that can bite you in the ass. If you're not going all-in on the treasure memes though then yeah it sounds like a decent cut. Curse might be too, since it feels like people most often go tall rather than wide in historic brawl.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so far im playing without tutors for reasons related to powerplay. Same as with ugin really

I dont think that treasure generation for one meme card is the way. Once you go dual you are busy containing all cool cards within 100 limit.
3 colors like korvold is just sad experience, having to let go so many cool things(still I think I did good job focusing mainly on land related cards)

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Popped in today to start crafting a new deck. Spent about an hour sifting cards and such.

Serious lack of dual lands in the new set, but I'll make due.

Ziggy

Scholar
golgari wrenn is very fun. in my variant i cut eyetwitches and the learn board in favor of sentinels. also got rid of meathooks for two lilianas because six wipes is fucking stupid and blood on the snow is never a dead card, worst case scenario u just bring something back. and liliana wins games

Since the ranks reset and I can beat up newbies in high-roller limited I've come to the conclusion that everyone's forcing dimir and hurting themselves because of it. Every opponent's been dimir or dimir with a splash and I've been steamrolling them with boros splashing green for a couple iffy cards (Katilda (Arguably not even worth the splash but most of my deck's human so there's a perfect situation where she pops off. Though thinking about it I think I'll un-splash now) and tireless hauler for a beefy body) since my draft wasn't that good. Guess I'll cut the splash and go with voldaren stinger and either abandon the post or stolen vitality. Vitality doesn't seem like the greatest combat trick so probably abandon the post just to keep the beats going. Maybe I'll cut electric revelation for stolen vitality, already running a scant 15 lands because of the cheap deck, flood shouldn't be enough of a concern I want to loot.

Pretty sure I'll fall apart as soon as I meet someone playing green and big bodies get on the board, but as long as everyone's playing fragile zombies and ghosts everything's fine.

And now having played some cheap limited it seems like the bots are murdering raredrafting. Most have been 3 rares and I'm lucky if I get 4, absolutely terrible showing compared to what you normally get for cheap drafts as soon as the gates open. Guess the people playing in high roller were raredrafting more than usual this set or something. Almost considering just piling up some gold and buying packs this set just for the wildcards since raredrafting's looking light.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom