Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Disgusting creatures. Avoid those things whenever i can.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I decided to do the "Devils of Shavarath" level 19 quests on elite with my buddy, since we are both level 21 and at the right CR for the quests. Devils are one of my favourite monster races, so I had a lot of fun. That said, the guy who designed these quests was a sadist as there are some mechanics that are just unavoidable death to anyone doing the quest on a blind playthrough.

For example, we got to the end fight of the quest "A New Invasion." Drop down to fight boss, we both get killed and wiped in like 10 seconds. Have no idea what killed us. Turns out, every section of the floor is littered with a trap that cannot be disarmed and starts arming itself as soon you hit the tile. You have 5 seconds to get off the tile before it goes off and hits you for damage (no save) and puts a curse on you that prevents healing. Would never have figured this out without the wiki, and quite frankly I'm amazed players were able to figure this out and put it in the wiki in the first place. Armed with our new knowledge, my buddy tanked the boss while I backstabbed which ended up with us both running in circles around the room.

Then in another quest "Genesis Point" you can lock yourself out of completing the quest by accidentally pulling levers that can only be pulled once and never again. Again, we found that out by doing the quest and then discovering we accidentally locked ourselves out of completing it.

Very bizarre design choices.

zapotec

Liturgist
I remember buying the box of this game 15 years ago? At the beginning the setting was Eberron if i remember well.
Is it playable now for a solo player?

Reinhardt

Arcane
To be honest i'm not impressed with inquisitive. Maybe in perfect world where there is no lag and monsters don't just surround you when you stand still doing nothing, with better equip and few more past lives... The only thing it is actually better than my good old 2h paladin is wilderness runs.
Last two days were almost unplayable for me. Horde runs to me, i click no holds, shoot, no damage numbers, then suddenly they are already around me and boost already ended and hp ended too. Melee is much more resistant to this shit.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I remember buying the box of this game 15 years ago? At the beginning the setting was Eberron if i remember well.
Is it playable now for a solo player?

Yes, but with some caveats. Arguably DDO offers the "best" experience for a solo MMO autist player out there, you can do all of the content solo, excluding raids. The hardest thing would be to find proper difficulty setting to play on. If you play on normal/casual/solo, it's usually boring, no challenge. The most balanced challenge, imho, would be hard and sometimes elite with an NPC to offset your class weaknesses. However, elite has deadly instakill traps, so if you don't know where they are or not have some levels in rogue, it's gonna be painful at times. Moreover, for the difficulties past normal to open, you have to complete the previous one for every adventure, and multiple dungeon runs are boring, imho. You can pay subscription and that makes every difficulty available. If you try to find groups on group finder, they always run on reaper difficulty (at least back when I played a year ago) and you'll be completely useless and carried 95% of the time. But you'll get way more XP and progress faster, for sure.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw game really loves to cheat with rolls.

jyfrosl.jpg

No, seriously, even when i pass it's usually bare minimum. Critical failure is something i see almost each quest, even few are pretty regular, but it's never 20. I actually can count my 20 rolls on disable in weeks with spare fingers left. Same with social checks - it's easier to notice because they are less common. Rolling 1 in extra exp choice is something i'm used to.
But there is better indicator - combat. I miss only on 1 and with flying numbers it's common to see 3-4 misses in a row, vorpal is harder to track usually, but this time i have kensei cores which gives me stacks of meditation on vorpals and for the last few days i check it after every big battle where i press no holds and burn packs of bolts, especially when i see streaks of misses and only once i've seen it at 4 stacks, usually it's 0-1.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Lvl 21. At last proper equip. Still can't decide on inquisitive. There are quests where my girl really shines, like decimating convoy in storm horns. Nice crits, good cc. It's just beautiful how everything works. And then there are quests where you fight ambushes in small rooms and it's pure cancer. Difference in elevation, knee high stone between you and enemy, bunch of small enemies like rats - so many things that can fuck up your aim. Sometimes you can't hit enemy you are standing literally face to face because he's some halfling manlet.

Reinhardt

Arcane
29. I hope i will get final level before Pathfinder release. Inquisitive is ok, but because i don't have ravenloft/sharn/feywild later it starts slowing down because of lack of high level equip.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Zero named items from zawabi revenge this life. Will sit on cap doing nothing until tome of learning go on sale.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Man, even though this game doesn't have an alignment system and only allows you to pick neutral and good alignments there are some seriously messed up evil options you can take. I did the 12 quest Frame Work on my own for the first time with my solo character. Always did it in a group before so never had time to properly read the lore. Anyway the quest has an optional where if you slaughter all the minotaurs in the village Dorris is "impressed" by you an gives a second chest.

Actually reading through the dialogue this time it turns out Dorris is absolutely horrified that you slaughtered an entire village, you even kill children too as evidenced by the fact you kill minotaur runts during your slaughter. Terrified by your ethnic cleansing Dorris actually gives you the second chest not cause she is "impressed" but because she is fucking terrified of you. Made me feel like crap for being so chaotic evil, next time I'll skip that optional.

Not even the first time the game does that. In the level 6 quest Purge the Heretics you go down into the sewer to kill a bunch of Sovereign Host worshippers who are made up of the poor and infirm. To make it even more horrifying they are protected by Halfling mercenaries, your basically killing the fantasy equivalent of cute little kids. Seriously, for a game that is supposed to be about being a neutral or good aligned character they allow you to do horrible stuff.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw is there any solo raids beside chrono and zawabi to do quickly once in a few days while i'm sitting on cap waiting for tome sale?

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Btw is there any solo raids beside chrono and zawabi to do quickly once in a few days while i'm sitting on cap waiting for tome sale?
Vodoospyce has some videos on how to solo some Legendary Raids on Normal for something called threads of fate. Apparently they can be turned in for something called filigrees that are usefull for endgame loot.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Thanks, i keep forgeting about tempest spine because i mixed it with restless isles raid where you need more people.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
No tome for sale again. Continue sitting doing nothing.
If you want you can run the sagas you have for guild xp. This video here explains the best way to go about it

Also congrats on the guild leadership. May your reign be long and prosperous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom