Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why writing spell scrolls is so rare in RPGs?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I already mentioned why I dislike DOS2
  • Cooldowns
  • Stat stickie itemization
  • Archers that can't hit a elephant at 14m
  • The most nonsensical armor system ever
  • The spells are very lackluster
(...)

I treasure immersion a lot. DOS2 is too gamey, not much different than Diablo 3, WoW and D&D 4E

Sven should put it into BG3.

I agree. In fact, when 3E mods come to BG3 mainly 3E hp values, BG3 will be a great game(still inferior to other D&D products except the complete bastardizations like sword coast legends)

Morrowind show that making spell can be a game-breaker activity

And extremely fun.

Reality

Learned
Imagining mentioning Blank Scrolls in ADOM and not pointing out that there main use is for Scroll of Genocide to remove entire enemy races from the game

Anonona

Learned
DOS2 which you have clearly played.

That is being a bit generous. He played a bit of the first chapter and stopped (I think he said around 7-8 hours, but I don't know how far he got). Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know you could craft scrolls.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He played a bit of the first chapter and stopped (I think he said around 7-8 hours, but I don't know how far he got). Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know you could craft scrolls.

9MDUGbF.png

KqrODmf.png

I tried to get into DOS2 twice and gave up. Din't liked the game.

I treasure immersion in RPG's. After PF:KM, my most played game is gothic 2 + Returning mod (doesn't have time played in steam) which has much weaker magic but is much more immersive. To become a necromancer in G2 - Ret, you need to ask Xardas for apprenticeship, he will think, try to warn you about the risks of dark magic, then after accepted as his apprentice, you need to train your spirit and mind to be able to understand and hold the power of dark magic. Paying high tuition fees to mages train your mana, reading books, doing alchemy, learning new languages to get enough INT to be able to understand the dark magic and then, do the initiation into the circle of darkness which involves killing a "sheep of innos" in a monastery full of powerful fire magicians. After 14 hours, I finally become a necromancer, but din't had enough resources to learn summon skeleton and arrow of darkness. BTW, to make arrow of darkness, you need a expensive black pearl. Learning the most basic dark magic spells bankrupted me. I had to sell my potions. And BTW, potions doesn't inta teleport to your belly. Potions require a drinking animation and heal/regen mana slowly in returning. There are insta regen potions(which only requires the drinking animation) but they are too expensive from merchants, are available in small quantity and the recipe for this potions are behind optional ultra powerful bosses and require mastery over alchemy and rare herbs to make. Summons? No summon cap, but each summon has a mana upkeep. You only fell like a fully fledged necromancer dozens(if not hundreds) of hours later, when you learn spear of darkness and how to summon skeleton warrior at the third circle of dark magic(yes, the game uses tier based magical progression). When you learn the 4th circle of magic, Xardas gives a robes of high dark arts which doesn't offer stats, you wear this robe because you are a pwoerful necromancer. Not the other way.

Was one of the most immersive games that I've played.

Much better than farming gear and managing cooldowns 27/7.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
If the devs care about balance (
rating_sawyer.gif
), then it becomes impossible to balance the game, especially if we take typical D&D wands and scroll prices (you can become a god for a few ks of gold). Not that it mattered in the Kingmaker games, you can't really throw away money at the beginning of the game and later you don't really need anything (although having a 100 stack of heal / greater restoration scrolls is definitely a QoL improvement with all the stat drain you get thrown at)

Alex

Arcane

I already mentioned why I dislike DOS2
  • Cooldowns
  • Stat stickie itemization
  • Archers that can't hit a elephant at 14m
  • The most nonsensical armor system ever
  • The spells are very lackluster
(...)

I treasure immersion a lot. DOS2 is too gamey, not much different than Diablo 3, WoW and D&D 4E
(...snip)

I mostly agree with your post. But you seem to be missing the point here. The issue here is not whether you like the game or not; but whether the game has a feature or not. This is important because, when you consider how different games did things; you can learn as much, if not more, from games that did it badly as you can from games that did it well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom