Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
That is exactly the issue. You CAN win all these encounters if you smash your head against the proverbial wall long enough.
But that is always the difference in RPGs between players. You can enjoy the game or eventually suffer through it. It's what Desiderius actually all about - he doesn't really want you to win-all. He wants you to be competent enough to enjoy the game.

If you want total punishment, you'd have to go into realm of hard counters. Sadly, since 2d edition/BG, it's not supported as much. And then people would whine about "puzzle fights".

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That is exactly the issue. You CAN win all these encounters if you smash your head against the proverbial wall long enough.
If this is the only way you can use your head it's not the game's problem. Or Desiderius'.
And then people would whine about "puzzle fights".
There are puzzle fights in Black Book. Basically, they teach the player how to use the next upgrades of the deck. Very insightful.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There are puzzle fights in Black Book. Basically, they teach the player how to use the next upgrades of the deck. Very insightful.
Oh yeah whole steam hates them. :M
cause they're 1-way to solve only I think; unlike similar in MTG, where usually there are multiple elegant solutions.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
cause they're 1-way to solve only I think; unlike similar in MTG, where usually there are multiple elegant solutions.
That's the point. They force the player to think about very particular cards and card mechanics and forget about everything else. Amazing learning tool.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
To add, reach weapons (glaives, bardiches, longspears) have some of the best items and enchants on them, especially for mounted characters.

Figured that much. Bardiches seem less focused on charging, but some good glaives and longspears.
Which to Focus in? Decisions, decisions.

If the Bardiches were proccing properly (they weren’t in beta) they’d be ideal because you can get to 17-20 with Improved Crit with Martial Prof.

They’d pick up extra dam on those procs like Reg does.

Desiderius

Patron
To add, reach weapons (glaives, bardiches, longspears) have some of the best items and enchants on them, especially for mounted characters.

Figured that much. Bardiches seem less focused on charging, but some good glaives and longspears.
Which to Focus in? Decisions, decisions.

There is really nice glave in end game that does 6d6 estra damage on charge and summon a demon if (lol) you kill the target. Insane.
A decent heavy pick with much less damage but debuffing target saves.
And there is a warhammer in act 4 that turns target to stone with a high DC till the end of combat, tried it a bit, ridiculous. Also if you hit the same target again and crit it aplies to aoe :lol:
And there was a fauchard that gave spell resistance on charge, not that useful imho.

Edit: I rolled with classic scimitar and shield bash build. 7-8 attacks on a charge, all of them got mythic charge bonuses.

Staunton’s Glaive (ch2) Summons Demon on kill. It’s also Adamantine. Give it to Sosiel and fight Enlarged with self buffs and Domain Zealot. It’s good.

Desiderius

Patron
Anyone got an idea why Regill starts with 40 move speed? I know his gnome subspecies gives him 30 speed instead of 20 but I don't have a clue how he is moving 40 feet. I took Travel domain with him and now he is moving 50 feet :D

They double counted the racial. His speed was big issue in Alpha. More than fixed now!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The writing is superb, many of the companion quests are about genuine growth but one set in particular resonates - a recovering demon, blessed by a goddess, trying to be Good."

*fart* I wonder if anyone praising the writing or the 'recovering demon trying to do good; brag about how it is original, deep, and 'progressive'. I hope so so we can smack them down with FFG and others who have done it first. :D

"She just stuns your own team - not missing much tbh. Well-versed OP."

Just place her in melee when summoning as she'll only use melee attacks again. Thankfully, the sound burst stun DC isn't super high so it should b easy to pass. of course, if you have 3-4 members within range, probably one will fail which can be deadly. It is even funnier if it fails the DC because I think she's been stunned by her own spell. LMAO

Just got the dino summoning item. What a joke. 26 hp? HAHAHAHAHA.

I'll say this about companions, some of them have what could be good characterization but often the writing/voice acting fails.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ran into my first properly gamestopping bug that I have no idea how to fix. After ivory labyrinth trying to load any map causes the loading bar to go up incredibly slowly, and then get stuck at 100%. No idea what caused it, no idea how to fix.

FriendlyMerchant

Ran into my first properly gamestopping bug that I have no idea how to fix. After ivory labyrinth trying to load any map causes the loading bar to go up incredibly slowly, and then get stuck at 100%. No idea what caused it, no idea how to fix.
Did you restart your computer or reformat your hard-drive?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
But that is always the difference in RPGs between players. You can enjoy the game or eventually suffer through it. It's what Desiderius actually all about - he doesn't really want you to win-all. He wants you to be competent enough to enjoy the game.

If you want total punishment, you'd have to go into realm of hard counters. Sadly, since 2d edition/BG, it's not supported as much. And then people would whine about "puzzle fights".

Desi doesn't want anything beyond theorycrafting and mocking people who don't use minmaxed builds.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
made him run & return later after ~hour of reloads.

I'm almost at the end of the siege of Drezen and I think the number of times I had to reload so far in the entire game (not counting the crusade minigame) still hasn't reached 12. You can play this game using different approaches: you can do whatever the fuck it is that you were doing during your first playthrough, or you can approach each encounter using the right tool among the ones at your disposal (and if you just bring the premade companions with you and level them in their starting classes, it's almost impossible for you not to have everything you need at all times).

With enough patience, you will reach the end of the game with both strategies, but one of them allows you to play the game without reloading a hundred times in the Gray Garrison. As I already said, maybe in later chapters everything will go to shit and the game will become impossible, but so far things have only become easier and easier with each level up.

On another note, I just picked up the Fracturing Battleaxe in Drezen and basically Seelah (the only character in my group who uses one-handed weapons) just went up three levels. Dealing 2 points of CON damage on each hit is huge, considering how almost every single enemy has tons of HD in this game. If you're lucky and roll 3 CON damage, it can be something like 20 more damage on each hit. A save with DC 17 isn't impressive, but with all the ways you have to reduce the enemies' saving throws (between Sosiel's Archon's Aura, Bard Seelah's Dirge of Doom, and Ember's Evil Eye, every enemy starts with -8 to ST).

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Desi doesn't want anything beyond theorycrafting and mocking people who don't use minmaxed builds.
Taking a bait of "minmaxing", meaning leaving their characters with glaring weaknesses, spreading thin and not correctly, delaying strong abilities and spell levels, especially buffs, is what makes people fail to begin with.

I swear some of the builds I've seen around on wiki and places, made me tear up a bit; no wonder people have problems with the game, they have no idea what they are doing when mixing classes.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'm almost at the end of the siege of Drezen and I think the number of times I had to reload so far in the entire game (not counting the crusade minigame) still hasn't reached 12.

If by reloads you mean the number of times I "lost" a fight (which also means the times I considered a single downed char too much of a chore to keep going) I'm exactly at 3 reloads at the beginning of act 3. Those are:

The named Vampire in the Grey Garrison
The fight with the demon on top of the Citadel, he dominated Queen Galfray (lol) on turn 1 and she insta gibbed me
The Ghosts in the Ruins of Ashberry Hamlet. I think those should only become available in Act 3 but I somehow found the location at level 8 and decided I had what was needed to take them down, I needed multiple reloads for that.

If by reloads you mean just go back and try things differently, then by all means I did much more than those.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Apparently added with new patch, happens when you kill companions. So reloading before you do that is the only way to fix it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Apparently added with new patch, happens when you kill companions. So reloading before you do that is the only way to fix it.
Eh, I don't think I have a great save for that and I definitely don't want to redo ivory labyrinth. I'll just wait for patch, seems like a lot of people are having this issue so odds are there'll be one before the weekend anyway. Or maybe I'll use the toolbox mod to hack them back to life and see if that works.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Taking a bait of "minmaxing", meaning leaving their characters with glaring weaknesses, spreading thin and not correctly, delaying strong abilities and spell levels, especially buffs, is what makes people fail to begin with.

I swear some of the builds I've seen around on wiki and places, made me tear up a bit; no wonder people have problems with the game, they have no idea what they are doing when mixing classes.

I asked various questions regarding builds and didn't receive an answer from our resident build fags and Owlcat apologists, so stop acting like hypocrites.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I asked various questions regarding builds

I personally avoided thise thread, so I never saw your questions, otherwise I vould have answered. Would you mind repeating them or is it too late now?

In here, not in the pre-launch thread. Said build fags and apologists made me not go there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom