Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Do you actually need to figure anything out yourself as a puzzle or is everything really spelled out for you?

I watched a review and he said when you collect enough info to make the final loop, the game basically tells you exactly how to proceed and what to do in which order to kill all 8 visionaries

Eh.. does that mean there's only one valid solution and until then your just fapping around collecting mcguffin clues?
Do they even react to you on subsequent loops or grow more panicked as your loop gets closer and closer to it's end goal?

I doubt it. Otherwise why would their schedules remain the same.

Terenty

Liturgist
Do you actually need to figure anything out yourself as a puzzle or is everything really spelled out for you?

I watched a review and he said when you collect enough info to make the final loop, the game basically tells you exactly how to proceed and what to do in which order to kill all 8 visionaries

Eh.. does that mean there's only one valid solution and until then your just fapping around collecting mcguffin clues?
Do they even react to you on subsequent loops or grow more panicked as your loop gets closer and closer to it's end goal?

Yes, there's only one way to kill them, but at least i though it was on you to come up with it based on the clues. Seems even that is given to you on a silver platter

Yes, there's only one way to kill them
I’m pretty sure that’s not true, but I’m not far enough in to state that definitively.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Huh.

I don't know what to think of this...

You know what you have to do.

letter-n.gif

Yes, there's only one way to kill them, but at least i though it was on you to come up with it based on the clues. Seems even that is given to you on a silver platter

Damn. That sucks that the black dude from Deathloop isn't as creative as the white guy from Dishonored.

Trithne

Erudite

Not really much of a spoiler, but putting it in one anyway, for Wenjie:
When you kill Wenjie for the first time (which is the last part of the game's incredibly long tutorial/onboarding), there's a note commenting that only Colt and Julianna seem to have this ability to remember information across loops.

And I’m switching off the invasions. They’re amazingly unfun currently. Every Juliana just uses the same load out of blink+machete to one-shot backstab you, and you’re actively encouraged to just sit in a corner for five minutes until you spot the invader because otherwise you will almost certainly lose all your progress when they backstab you from out of nowhere.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, the only real chance of losing is to an invading player or losing the 4 time slots, at least clue hunting to get the targets on the four slots is fun?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And I’m switching off the invasions. They’re amazingly unfun currently. Every Juliana just uses the same load out of blink+machete to one-shot backstab you, and you’re actively encouraged to just sit in a corner for five minutes until you spot the invader because otherwise you will almost certainly lose all your progress when they backstab you from out of nowhere.

I've heard that since the Netcode is so bad and Colt is always the server host (It's all P2P) that unless you use the machette, all you see is a rubber banding Colt blinking around with all your bullets not registering as hits. Since Machette locks into a guaranteed Kill animation - it's the only reliable way to invade.

So, the only real chance of losing is to an invading player or losing the 4 time slots, at least clue hunting to get the targets on the four slots is fun?

It's not really hard to fight off invaders, it's just not particularly fun. It is fairly easy to stealth around them, especially once you have a few magic powers, but this game is even less suited to hardcore stealth play than the Dishonoreds; it's not a fun way to play the game. Regardless though, it's impossible to get a "game over" screen. The worst thing that can happen is you die near the end of a mission and lose some good weapons/powers/money.

Codex Year of the Donut
"one of the main draws of the game that was repeatedly advertised is completely unplayable, but the game is still good guys!"

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Not really much of a spoiler, but putting it in one anyway, for Wenjie:
When you kill Wenjie for the first time (which is the last part of the game's incredibly long tutorial/onboarding), there's a note commenting that only Colt and Julianna seem to have this ability to remember information across loops.

I remember reading somewhere that NPC's will slightly adjust to your tactics if you constantly use the same approach - which I thought debunked this.. ??
I don't remember where I read that though.. so maybe it's complete bullshit.

"one of the main draws of the game that was repeatedly advertised is completely unplayable, but the game is still good guys!"
Don’t be an idiot Rusty, it’s beneath you. I’ve both never said that that feature was a draw for me, nor have I said the game is good. I’ve been pretty explicit about it being Arkane’s worst game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don’t be an idiot Rusty, it’s beneath you. I’ve both never said that that feature was a draw for me, nor have I said the game is good. I’ve been pretty explicit about it being Arkane’s worst game.
it's shit

Codex Year of the Donut
I’m not sure what your horse is in this race Rusty. Are you just doing your general smug butthurt harvesting thing? Because I don’t think anyone’s butthurt about Deathloop except for Arkane.
'ate video game developers
not raciss, just dont like em
"one of the main draws of the game"

Thank you for revealing his hypocrisy!
Are you going to pretend it's not one of the major features it was marketed on?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol. I wanted to see without spoilers if there are indeed multiple ways to break the loop or only one, so I did an innocent search for
"deathloop are there multiple endings"

First result:

Deathloop: How to Get All Endings Including Secret Ending

Your journey as the cold assassin “Colt” has multiple endings in the Deathloop Universe, each one of them being unique to one another. Currently, there are three different endings to the story that depends on our decisions taken against Julianna in the chamber.

Highlighting mine. Are you shitting me, a 3 button ending in the last room?

------------

Are you going to pretend [PvP isn't] one of the major features it was marketed on?
Pretend? No. I'm just going to say it out loud, because it's true. The invasions are a side dish, not a central pillar. You can even turn them off for chrissake.

Codex Year of the Donut
Are you shitting me, a 3 button ending in the last room?
:smug:
Pretend? No. I'm just going to say it out loud, because it's true. The invasions are a side dish, not a central pillar. You can even turn them off for chrissake.
?
It was a major feature that was part of the marketing campaign, and it seems to be very disliked from what I've read.

image.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252330/DEATHLOOP/
SINGLE PLAYER GAMEPLAY INJECTED WITH DEADLY MULTIPLAYER
Are you the hero or the villain? You’ll experience DEATHLOOP’s main story as Colt, hunting down targets across the island of Blackreef to break the loop and earn your freedom. All the while, you’ll be hunted by your rival Julianna, who can be controlled by another player. So if you’re feeling devious, you, too, can step into Julianna’s stylish sneakers and invade another player’s campaign to kill Colt. The multiplayer experience is completely optional, and players can choose to have Julianna controlled by AI within their campaign
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/11/deathloop-makes-its-console-debut-on-ps5-this-holiday/
Colt Vs. Julianna
But the island’s inhabitants aren’t the only obstacles in your path. Deathloop is Arkane Lyon’s innovative take on an immersive multiplayer experience; a story-driven first-person shooter where your main antagonist might be another player. You’ll experience Deathloop’s main story as Colt, hunting down targets across the island as you try to break the loop. Meanwhile, another player might temporarily enter your story in the role of Julianna, a rival assassin with her own singular goal: Protect the loop by eliminating Colt. Of course, if you’re feeling particularly villainous, you can slip into the shoes of Julianna yourself, jumping into someone else’s Blackreef for a tense game of cat-and-mouse. (The multiplayer invasion element is completely optional, so you toggle it on or off as desired.)

For Game Director Dinga Bakaba, Arkane’s goal is to blur the line between single- and multiplayer. “The focus is on the campaign and the story,” he says. “And that campaign can be played with Julianna controlled only by the AI, or – and this is our recommendation – by a mix of A.I. and random players to experience the range of unpredictability and chaos that Julianna is capable of.”

Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy in the least in an Arkane-style game. They should have figured out a way to make it cooperative rather than competitive.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
rusty_shackleford about to make Zombra's 255th spot on the ignore list. :lol:

Come on in - water's great.
Zombra and I are friends afaik, we disagree all the time.

He put me on ignore for not liking episodic content in Hitman IIRC.
I guess you just have the magic touch.
Dude I’m pretty sure that’s not why he put you on ignore. :lol:

I dunno man.. That's how I remember it.. You could say it's because of my colourful dialogue.
But again.. the dude has like half the fucking forum on ignore.

I think he's purposefully riding just below 300 because that's when the Safe Space tag hits. This personally offends me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom