Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Dungeon Travelers series

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Let's talk about a hardcore dungeon crawler series relegated to obscurity because animu girls. Have you played them?
dungeon-travelers-2-2-ps-vita-20170126-2.jpg

I bought a vita to play this series and i was not dissapointed, i even think it's better than Etrian Odyssey, this game has actual dungeons.

Suicidal

Arcane
I've heard good things about this game and wanted to try it but to my knowledge there is no way to play it on PC in English:

The PSP version of the game can be emulated but is Japan-only
The Vita version of the game is in English, but there are no Vita emulators

j2alg

Educated
I've heard good things about this game and wanted to try it but to my knowledge there is no way to play it on PC in English

https://wololo.net/2018/12/22/tutor...lay-vita-games-on-a-bigger-screen-in-minutes/

:^)

In all seriousness, the whole list:

PC: Final dragon chronicle
PSP: DT1 (massive remake of the above)
PSP: DT2

the PSP games are easily emulated.

Vita: DT1 port (with some gameplay changes taken from DT2)
Vita: DT2 <----- the only game available in English, enhanced port of the PSP original
Vita exclusive: DT2-2, sequel

I played the whole series, it's fantastic. I was crazy for EO for hundreds of hours, but I didn't like the recent direction. That's why finding this series was like manna from the heavens

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've heard good things about this game and wanted to try it but to my knowledge there is no way to play it on PC in English

https://wololo.net/2018/12/22/tutor...lay-vita-games-on-a-bigger-screen-in-minutes/

:^)

In all seriousness, the whole list:

PC: Final dragon chronicle
PSP: DT1 (massive remake of the above)
PSP: DT2

the PSP games are easily emulated.

Vita: DT1 port (with some gameplay changes taken from DT2)
Vita: DT2 <----- the only game available in English, enhanced port of the PSP original
Vita exclusive: DT2-2, sequel

I played the whole series, it's fantastic. I was crazy for EO for hundreds of hours, but I didn't like the recent direction. That's why finding this series was like manna from the heavens

What does this game series better than EO?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
While EO is more about FOE puzzles in dungeon navigation, Dungeon Travelers has dark zones, anti magic zones, and full of traps that cause status ailments or dispel buffs.Dungeon wise i never got lost in EO while it's something more common in Dungeon Travelers because past mid game it's full of teleport mazes. Let's also not get into the post game, the post game in Dungeon Travelers is HUGE, just as long as the main game or more, reminds me of Elminage Gothic where the post game is the real game and the main story is just the tutorial. Here's a quick review of someone that didn't got filtered like most journos https://nichegamer.com/reviews/dungeon-travelers-2-review/

j2alg

Educated
What does this game series better than EO?
Though they are similar in a lot of aspects, EO and DT ultimately offer very different experiences, e.g. EO lets you create a party while DT has named characters that gradually join your side like in a lot of JRPGs.
EO isn't character-driven and there aren't a lot of conversations like in DT, which was created by the visual novel developers Leaf/Aquaplus with help by Sting. As a result DT has a lot more quality voice acting and amusing writing, which is something EO doesn't excel at (and in the case of post Untold titles, most the time is aggressively bad at). Both have a cutesy cartoony look but still distinct, it's up to taste and I think both have good artstyles.
Both have intense combat systems where enemies are fast and deadly with its encounter designs, e.g. there are 5 enemies in different rows, 2 have powerful area attacks, 2 spam you with status effects and 1 heals/buffs the rest. Character building is fun in both, though I consider DT's class system a superior version of EOV's second names which has a lot of issues.
Where DT wins in my book is the postgame. In EO it's always short and beatable by whatever classes, in all DT games it's absolutely massive and demands that you utilize all classes. This is the most divisive aspect, but I like it when you're encouraged to frequently rotate your party members and deal with level differences rather than steamrolling everything with the same few people.
Both have a tiny budget which shows with enemy recolors and such, though EO has the edge with having Yuzo Koshiro on its side. DT composers aren't bad but can't really keep up.
Also I agree with the above post, DT dungeon designs are a lighter and softer version of Wizardry designs. They have an automap and are pick-up-and-play friendly, and they still beat EO dungeon designs which honestly are overwhelmingly a travesty.

didntdemon

Novice
I too have dabbled a few hours in DT1 on the PSP emulator, and it seems pretty decent. Though i feel the combat and turn-order system is on the simpler side, and far less chaotic as something like the Elminage series. If I'm not wrong Aweigh has plenty of good stuff to say about the game too.

But after a while the lack of English translation becomes too much of a hassle to me. If there ever were a language patch I'll be sure to be back.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Dungeon Travelers 2 is probably the only modern Japanese blobber that I've played that comes close to Elminage Gothic in terms of the complexity of its dungeon design.

j2alg

Educated
That's the only option for English players. Vita emulation isn't there (yet), so an actual Vita or the PSTV is the only way. I'm partial to the latter

Dorarnae

Arbiter
DT2-2 was good. though just wish it had a few more end game boss like DT2. but it's basically like DT2 but more balanced.

CyberModuled

Savant
I was half hoping Utawarerumono coming to PC last year meant Aquaplus would've started doing more PC releases, including DT2 but nothing's really happened since.

Guess it's not completely impossible to imagine someone like PQube or Marvelous trying to get the license for a Western release again since Aquaplus at least seem willing to do PC deals with companies now, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Amurada

Educated
Been anticipating playing through the whole series for quite a while now. Glad to see that its coming to PC finally, and completely translated. People in the comments section on both youtube and gematsu don't have good things to say about the Johren platform; I don't have experience with it, which is troublesome. Luckily, I just checked their twitter account, and Shiravune (assume its the dev porting the games?) has mentioned that they are looking at other platform holders to host the game. I love me some anime tiddy, so I obviously don't want the game censored, but releasing an 'unofficial' uncensored patch seems to be the obvious solution.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
Been anticipating playing through the whole series for quite a while now. Glad to see that its coming to PC finally, and completely translated. People in the comments section on both youtube and gematsu don't have good things to say about the Johren platform; I don't have experience with it, which is troublesome. Luckily, I just checked there twitter account, and Shiravune (assume its the dev porting the games?) has mentioned that they are looking at other platform holders to host the game. I love me some anime tiddy, so I obviously don't want the game censored, but releasing an 'unofficial' uncensored patch seems to be the obvious solution.
I hate Johren because of their ridiculously aggressive DRM.

Here is a reddit (Yeah, I know) thread about why their DRM sucks.

Eisen

Learned
I'll only buy in Steam or GOG.
That means that i probably won't buy it

hkt

Novice
I had DT2 on my vita, enjoyed it a lot. It has a very different feel from the EO series.

Looking forward to the PC ports.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
released, bought 2-2 since I got DT2 in my vita.
if you dont have Johren account buying game costed me 8 dollars but requires buying points (300 sign up bonus, 500+500 pack 5 dollars and 300+150 3 dollars)

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I didn't realize the series had a thread already, so I'll repost from the JRPG news thread:

"I bought it using their store coins. It's a curious system, it's meant to work like a gacha currency shared across their hosted games and create dopamine for heavy spenders, but if you're just there to buy their "Premium Games" (real games like the DT series) you can make out like a bandit with the first timer discounts and ignore it afterwards. Don't let the excess coins spook you either, that's just meant to push users towards further engagement to not let them go to "waste".

Alternatively, you can just buy them outright with real currency, but you don't get the full discounts that way."

Basically just elaborating on what Jermu said.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
finished 2-2 took little bit less than 60 hours.
solid blobber there has been some balance changes but I still prefer 2. not enough new stuff so if you play 2-2 right after 2 it might be too similar.
dlc dungeons were more challenging and puzzle heavy than base game.

party ended up to be:
samurai paladin
sniper etoile bishop

bishop feels mandatory for circle nurse (remove status effects from whole party)

probably going to take few days break and try post game

j2alg

Educated
going from maingame to postgame in any of the dungeon travelers games is like
131apb.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom