Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Gear Strive - ArcSys fighting game

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been playing this for the past week. I'm not familiar with the old guilty gears, or many fighting games for that matter, but I've been having a blast. As long as I'm not fighting Sol or Ram. I-No is my main for now but thinking about switching to a more straightforward character like Ky while I get the fundamentals down. I'm still scrub tier at floor 6 :negative:

In my experience with Guilty Gears is best to play the character you connect the most with, even if you are noob and the character is more difficult. You can try several ones in the training room until you find the one you like the most playing with.

This is a crazy game series with very interesting characters, trying to play a "shoto like" because you are a beginner is missing a part of the fun.

I'm currently focused on GGAC +R learning Johnny, which is an execution heavy character, and I can't see myself coming back to Ky or even Sol. Had a blast also labbing Eddie (Zato) some months ago and Slayer recently, but I'm sticking with Johnny.

The best part is that even if I'm a scrub, I'm improving more my execution in weeks than in years of Street Fighter. Having a high and demanding execution floor forces you to level up, it's great.

Also consider that even if more difficult to execute commands, the character game plan with I-no or Johnny can be easier to understand and stronger than a "jack of all trades" character like Ky; where you have a wide and flexible toolset but you lack the game knowledge and experience to make good reads or make correct decissions.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
According to dataminers first season won't have her. The ones left are Happy Chaos, Asuka and Jam Kuradoberi.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I wish it would take more than a couple matches to change floors. I can mostly dominate at floor 6 now but I'm still losing more than winning on floor 7, so I'm constantly ping ponging back and forth. I keep getting moved in the middle of sets.

Sunri

Liturgist
I wish it would take more than a couple matches to change floors. I can mostly dominate at floor 6 now but I'm still losing more than winning on floor 7, so I'm constantly ping ponging back and forth. I keep getting moved in the middle of sets.
I got to floor 10 and dropped ranked i just can't stand that not only you can't rematch how many times you want but you also get kicked from sets lol dumb system why didn't they copy tekken 7 ranked mode
D35zt3yQ_400x400.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'd like to see ABA and Testament return.

No idea how they'd do ABA in this game though.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
are the actual characters this deformed?
it is a mod.
I can see that, I assumed it was just the clothing though.
Models are not designed to be viewed without clothes. If you don't fix them they look super weird, like that arm of May without hoodie from one of the earlier mods, where people just removed parts of a model:
upload_2021-9-21_1-8-28.png

Also clothes are a big part of the final image and proportions. Millia definitely has huge hips, but they are balanced by her top half, and her coat helps with that:
397px-GGST_Millia_Rage_Portrait.png

Gerrard

Arcane
Her hands are gigantic as well (compare to her face), this looks almost as bad as the Street Fighter abominations.

Generic-Giant-Spider

At least it's not Street Fighter where everyone has hands and feet like they're Ken Griffey Jr. hopped up on Mr. Burns' tonic.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Still stuck on floor 7, but I'm racking up some wins now. Idk if it's just the pressure of a live match or the latency, but I'm dropping combos and whiffing inputs way more in online matches vs training or arcade mode. My defense is also very weak, but it seems almost impossible to consistently block mixups unless it's a character like Ky. Maybe it's just a matter of learning common strings from the other characters. Defense is also not something I can get good practice on with the AI because they don't seem to do good mixups ever.

Getting real sick of these Giovanna players. One third to one half of the people on my floor are playing Gio.

Sunri

Liturgist
This game rewards offensive player both with meter and by filling risk gauge? something so you can't block indefinitely also gio is quite easy to beat at least with ram she can't do that much and is very limited after some matches you will see that 99,9% gio players do the same shit over and over again lul

613b910a29bad.jpg

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Still stuck on floor 7, but I'm racking up some wins now. Idk if it's just the pressure of a live match or the latency, but I'm dropping combos and whiffing inputs way more in online matches vs training or arcade mode. My defense is also very weak, but it seems almost impossible to consistently block mixups unless it's a character like Ky. Maybe it's just a matter of learning common strings from the other characters. Defense is also not something I can get good practice on with the AI because they don't seem to do good mixups ever.

Getting real sick of these Giovanna players. One third to one half of the people on my floor are playing Gio.

Arcade mode, just like most fighting game singleplayer modes, is useless for learning the game. Your best bet is to just grind online if you want to get good. That and reading outside sources like dustloop. Gio's pressure is annoying but if you learn when to press and when not to, it's bearable unlike some other characters. The most basic thing you need to learn, which you might already know, is that if she ends her strings in Sepultura she's minus so it's your turn. The spiral arrow looking thing or the overhead can be jabbed (or 6P'ed) on reaction but if you block them she's plus so don't press anything afterwards. Most of the flowchart Gio's I've seen just like to sit outside your effective range and when you whiff something they dash in.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Fucking lmao

Those Jack Frst clones are great

Nathir

Liturgist
Jack-O looks like the same model from XRD, with minor differences. Everyone got redesigned, why not her?

It seems like the second character was already made on a budget. And we won't get anyone else this year. It seems to me that ArcSys really spread themselves too thin with multiple projects.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I picked up a Hori Commander Octa pad thinking it would be better for fighting games than my old dualshock. It is not. The mechanical face buttons are nice, but after a week the DPAD is misreading inputs on the right side. I tried playing with the sensitivity on Hori's configuration app, but I think the problem is with the hardware. Back to the dualshock.

This game rewards offensive player both with meter and by filling risk gauge? something so you can't block indefinitely also gio is quite easy to beat at least with ram she can't do that much and is very limited after some matches you will see that 99,9% gio players do the same shit over and over again lul
Yeah, I'm doing fairly well as long as I can stay on offense. Things go south when the tables are turned and I'm under pressure. Gio isn't the hardest but so many of her attacks are plus on block and a lot of them can beat stroke the big tree or jump ins, like the multi-kick. Makes it hard to get things started. Mostly it's just annoying that so many lower level players use her. Ram is tougher - I do fine in neutral but once she has me pinned in the corner I'm having a very hard time escaping.

Arcade mode, just like most fighting game singleplayer modes, is useless for learning the game. Your best bet is to just grind online if you want to get good. That and reading outside sources like dustloop.
I don't use Arcade mode for strategy or anything, but it's been helpful for practicing combos and different approaches. I have been using dustloop too to help understand when I can take my turn or not, and find which attacks cancel. Before I bought the game I had read that Strive does a particularly good job of explaining the game mechanics for those unfamiliar with fighting games. Having played it, I don't think I agree.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Best controller if you don't have money for hitbox is keyboard. Can't go back to pad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom