Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

If you haven't noticed, this thread is actually about one. Revan is neither jedi nor sith(arguably both, but definitely not one or the other.)

Revan was a Jedi after being redeemed. He was also a Sith at one point in his life. He was never both at once. What Kreia was implying was that he voluntarily sacrificed his "self" to become something that was capable of defeating the evil the True Sith represented. That didn't change the fact that he had fallen. He remained true to his ultimate goal, but he was still the lesser of two evils.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you haven't noticed, this thread is actually about one. Revan is neither jedi nor sith(arguably both, but definitely not one or the other.)

Revan was a Jedi after being redeemed. He was also a Sith at one point in his life. He was never both at once. What Kreia was implying was that he voluntarily sacrificed his "self" to become something that was capable of defeating the evil the True Sith represented. That didn't change the fact that he had fallen. He remained true to his ultimate goal, but he was still the lesser of two evils.
Except that's not the entire story of Revan, you've clearly never played SWTOR.

Codex Year of the Donut
xcept that's not the entire story of Revan, you've clearly never played SWTOR.

I've seen the story that was tacked onto to Revan in SWTOR. It was shit and flew in the face of the nature of the Force. Even when the EU was canon, G-Canon overrode such contradictions.
1. It's as canon as Revan himself. It's even written by Bioware. Not liking it does not change that.
2. It was written before Disney even bought Star Wars.

1. It's as canon as Revan himself. It's even written by Bioware. Not liking it does not change that.

You don't understand how canon worked in Star Wars. G-ganon was always assumed to be "Word of God" before the Disney buyout. If GL said it's a certain way, that's the way it is. That I don't like bad fan-fiction is beside the point.
I'll give an example. In K2, on Korriban Kreia mentions how the Sith Lords of old would make current year Sith look like children with toys. Folks tried to use this quote to prove that a lord like Naga Sadow was stronger than Darth Sidious. This is in direct contradiction with G-canon which stated Palpatine was the strongest Sith to have ever lived. Even though we see Sadow causing supernovas and all sorts of wild shit, Palpatine is still stronger somehow.

Revan is not canon anymore, but even when he was anything said of him still had to kowtow to G-canon. If GL said the Force worked like so, it doesn't matter what any other media says to contradict it, nor what it showed to contradict it. It's hand-waved automatically as something that didn't happen or didn't happen the way it seemed.

Codex Year of the Donut

You don't understand how canon worked in Star Wars. G-ganon was always assumed to be "Word of God" before the Disney buyout. If GL said it's a certain way, that's the way it is. That I don't like bad fan-fiction is beside the point.
I'll give an example. In K2, on Korriban Kreia mentions how the Sith Lords of old would make current year Sith look like children with toys. Folks tried to use this quote to prove that a lord like Naga Sadow was stronger than Darth Sidious. This is in direct contradiction with G-canon which stated Palpatine was the strongest Sith to have ever lived. Even though we see Sadow causing supernovas and all sorts of wild shit, Palpatine is still stronger somehow.

Revan is not canon anymore, but even when he was anything said of him still had to kowtow to G-canon. If GL said the Force worked like so, it doesn't matter what any other media says to contradict it, nor what it showed to contradict it. It's hand-waved automatically as something that didn't happen or didn't happen the way it seemed.
star wars is fucking gay idc
I was just pointing out how retarded jedis are, literally space autists

Faarbaute

Arbiter
The Jedi are a caricature akin to the Vulkan in Startrek. Deconstructing that caricature through Kreia was not interesting, just irritating.

The heavy handed railroading required to set you up to be lectured over and over again was also very tiresome.

In my opinion it was a mistake taking KOTOR 2 in this direction.

Zibniyat

Arcane
The Force doesn't care what you disagree with. The Jedi are correct. Reject hedonism and being ruled by your petty emotions or go insane. There is no third option for Force Users.
Lessons hard-learned and codified over the course of thousands of years to be ignored at their own peril. They don't expect any adherence from the general populace, but for supermen there are higher standards. If anything, the Jedi are too lenient on their own.

The Sith are made out of Jedi.

And that single statement invalidates every single claim you made there. The truth is the complete opposite.

Zibniyat

Arcane
They "fell" because that is the reality. There's no rejection. There's just the Force, in both of its aspects, one no less real than the other. And where one (the "evil" one) is produced by the other, supposedly "good" one.

They "fell" because that is the reality. There's no rejection. There's just the Force, in both of its aspects, one no less real than the other. And where one (the "evil" one) is produced by the other, supposedly "good" one.

You're arguing semantics with me. If you're implying they were corrupted because the Force exists and the Dark Side of it corrupts then yes, I agree.
There absolutely is rejection. Jedi who adhere to the code do not turn into Dark Jedi. They turn into Dark Jedi when they reject the truths therein.

Zibniyat

Arcane
If you're implying they were corrupted because the Force exists and the Dark Side of it corrupts then yes, I agree.

How is it possible for you to then say this:

There absolutely is rejection. Jedi who adhere to the code do not turn into Dark Jedi. They turn into Dark Jedi when they reject the truths therein.

The Force is both the "good" and the "bad" side. The "light" and the "dark". What Jedi do, what they've always done, is to reject the dark side completely, thinking and mistaking the light side for the whole Force. And since the Force has a will of its own, this is well established in Star Wars, it then corrects this Jedi deviation by corrupting some of them, bringing ruin to everyone.

This is why Kreia is correct. So long as the Force would be just an "energy that supports life everywhere" it wouldn't be a big deal. But it both has a will of its own and sentient beings can and do use it (and are used in return by the Force) for their own gains. The net result being a bloody trail across the galaxy, for suffering is far more strongly experienced than enjoyment.

The only winning move is to not play, in fact to cut off oneself from the Force entirely for it appears that it isn't that essential for life after all.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A case can be made that bottling up their emotions and not dealing with them causes a Jedi to lose control and get controlled by them in turn and fall to the dark side. The mechanics of this process aren't very well explained and are contradictory. The Jedi say the dark side corrupts, but I think that's a lie. You are already corrupt when you fall to the dark side.

Zibniyat

Arcane
The trick is to realise that there is no fall in the first place. It's just the Force, using Force-sensitives as pawns in its eternal game of "balance". Where Jedi, being drunk on power in their own way, think that said balance constitutes existing in "peace and prosperity" in some tower of a planet-wide megacity, never threatened by any real opposition. And the end result of said "balance", to negate the excesses of enjoyment, contentment, happiness etc. necessarily means blowing up whole planets with billions of people into nothingness, like what happened with Alderaan.

Saint Kreia puts it succinctly:

There is no truth in the Force.

Only outside of it can one see what's it all about.

If you're implying they were corrupted because the Force exists and the Dark Side of it corrupts then yes, I agree.

How is it possible for you to then say this:

The Force is both the "good" and the "bad" side. The "light" and the "dark". What Jedi do, what they've always done, is to reject the dark side completely, thinking and mistaking the light side for the whole Force. And since the Force has a will of its own, this is well established in Star Wars, it then corrects this Jedi deviation by corrupting some of them, bringing ruin to everyone.

This is why Kreia is correct. So long as the Force would be just an "energy that supports life everywhere" it wouldn't be a big deal. But it both has a will of its own and sentient beings can and do use it (and are used in return by the Force) for their own gains. The net result being a bloody trail across the galaxy, for suffering is far more strongly experienced than enjoyment.

The only winning move is to not play, in fact to cut off oneself fr the Force entirely for it appears that it isn't that essential for life after all.

That a Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil exists and produces fruit, does not mean you must eat from it. Free will still exists.

For Kreia's vision to work she has to remove the Force's ability to influence certain outcomes. Until she does it remains the moral arbiter in Star Wars. I agree with Kreia too, but within the framework of Star Wars as it usually is: Jedi good. Sith bad.

You are already corrupt when you fall to the dark side.

This is true, but there's a layer of compulsion that the Dark Side adds during the fall that leads the fallen to certain ends. Either self-destruction or very rarely redemption. This is a defense mechanism against rogue Sith who try to eat galaxy like Nihilus. The Force doesn't want the death of all life. It wants the expansion of it and at minimum maintenance of status quo. "Life creates it. Makes it grow." Anakin going from wanting to save his wife to murdering children on a dime is an example of this added layer.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
so uh

why does a remake need dedicated writers?

Seriuosly speaking, perhaps to flesh out the Dark Side path a bit more? Add options to turn your companions? That'd improve the game.

I mean, if it was going to be a quality product. But with the "writer" they got? To cover up Chuundar's role in Wookiee slavery, and to make Bastila completely infallible.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Pretty easy. Sitting there, on Coruscant, and telling the Jedi fucking Council how he loves democracy... his powers of camouflage alone had to be insane.

Pretty easy. Sitting there, on Coruscant, and telling the Jedi fucking Council how he loves democracy... his powers of camouflage alone had to be insane.

Yeah, his masking was strong but even then there were other things too that people weren't familiar with. I think he conjured a Force Storm at some point but it may have been retconned. This was early days in '06-ish. Being invisible to Jedi was cool and all, but it wasn't "Michael Bay" enough to compete with Sadow in the minds of the plebs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, it's confirmed (heavily implied?) in the comics that Palpatine used the Force to impregnate Anakin's mother, which is a unique event I think.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, I definitely want to spend 60 freedombux and waste space on my PS5's infinitesimal SSD on a game that actually has a GOOD mobile version

Never change, Electronic Brainfarts.

Also, it's confirmed (heavily implied?) in the comics that Palpatine used the Force to impregnate Anakin's mother, which is a unique event I think.

An attempt was made by Darth Plagueis to gain power over life and death somehow, but the Force resisted. It created Anakin as a reaction to their meddling. That's according to the old canon.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The governor of California is doing that right now and he has zero sith powers or lightsabers.

Probably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom