Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FWIW i think Hexen 2 does this sort of level design better, Hexen is partly limited by the engine's limitations and partly Raven figuring things out.

But TBH my main annoyance is that, liking this sort of "convoluted" level design, i just wish there were more games like it and all these criticisms of Hexen/Hexen 2's level design sound to me (regardless of intention) as "No! Don't make games with levels like that!" (which is also why whenever i can i mention how much i liked Hedon's level design since it is the closest i found recently to Hexen/Hexen 2 - not as detailed or puzzly, but still much less straightforward than pretty much every other "boomer shooter").

I've somehow only played Hexen 2's expansion years after i played the base game and i loved it - more Hexen 2! - and then after finishing and still being in the mood, i decided to check if there are any usermaps for it. Turns out there are some but disappointingly, they all play like Quake. What is the point? :-/

Silentstorm

Learned
It's something very niche, i am not the biggest fan of Hexen and it's sequel, and partly for the level design, i guess the lack of usermaps like the base game shows how niche it really is?

Then again, i don't think it's the most popular franchise with modders, Heretic certainly isn't Doom nor is Hexen 2 the same as Quake when it comes to modding communities.

I think aside from Hedon, which i haven't played, the closest would be Amid Evil, which is Quake Like, and i only say it's the most like Hexen due to being a purely fantasy FPS.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
It's something very niche, i am not the biggest fan of Hexen and it's sequel, and partly for the level design, i guess the lack of usermaps like the base game shows how niche it really is?

Then again, i don't think it's the most popular franchise with modders, Heretic certainly isn't Doom nor is Hexen 2 the same as Quake when it comes to modding communities.

I think aside from Hedon, which i haven't played, the closest would be Amid Evil, which is Quake Like, and i only say it's the most like Hexen due to being a purely fantasy FPS.

Amid Evil isn't a switch simulator like Hexen.

Boleskine

Arcane

Has there been any major news about these games lately? Madness Returns recently celebrated its tenth anniversary, but I'm not sure if development on a third game has gained traction.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that Grim Beard and GMan did videos on the series recently...

Two Alice videos within a day of each other!

GManShills:

GrimBeard:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Has there been any major news about these games lately? Madness Returns recently celebrated its tenth anniversary, but I'm not sure if development on a third game has gained traction.

I think this might have something to do with American McGees recent announcement of building a new studio, and his stalwart intention to create Alice Ayslum down the road:

Caim

Arcane

Realms Deep 2021, aka Boomershootercon 2021.

Even shorter version: He liked them all, whether you do depends on your taste.

- Fi da Puti Samurai. Procedurally generated rogue-lite shooter. You're being chased by an instakill wall so don't take too long exploring. If you can handle the artstyle and genre you might like this.
- White Hell. Wolvenstein-like set in Finland, have fun fighting nazis and commies. You have a superpowered Sisu mode, which is pretty much the Finnish fighting spirit except stoic. Guns are very accurate, you'll need it to hit the slim hitboxes of your enemies.
- Cultic. Strange mix of Blood and Dusk that looks like Quake except you can count the voxels by hand. Very good.
- Project Warlock II, sequel to a game Civvie looked at in an earlier roundup video. There's a lot more mobility than the last one. Good if you want to just shred some motherfuckers.
- Kur. Gives me major Viscerafest vibes: both are over the top shooters with a colorful and cartoony pixelated artstyle that still allows for some ultra-violence. Protagonist is a crazy chick who's more than willing to murder for money. Has the most content out of the box. Has parkour that involves a lot of kicking, which can work great for a Duke Nukem game.
- Dread Templar. Just an all-round solid FPS. You've got bullet time and one of your ranged attacks is throwing a katana. Feels very Quake, with just a bit of Prey (the first one).

Silentstorm

Learned
I love how throughout the video he mentions boomer shooters only being a phase and thinking they won't survive next year as a new fad will replace them, so he's just going to take advantage of it for now as the fad is great for his channel.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was thinking recently that the next fad will be CoDlikes and GearsofWarlikes (and games looking like UE3 games in general, regardless if these games really used UE3), nice to see Civvie11 agreeing :-P

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Extremely meh. Probably his most soulless video yet, feels like he just decided to make a video for something he is not even remotely passionate about. It's a shame because there are good things to say about Opposing Force but it feels like he barely even cared to explore that line of thought. Blue Shift is shit though of course.

Also a major missed opportunity to talk about how OpFor and Blue Shift existing spawned a huge amount of single player Half-Life mods which try to do the same style of "this also happened in Black Mesa while Gordon was doing his thing" with their setting, and that this style of expansion pack (i.e. not the main character with extra levels after the main story) is relatively uncommon until OpFor's influence.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess he doesn't play mods. Maybe he's just lazy... collects to patreon $$$ and lazily puts out a vid here and there. The passion is gone. Dunno.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Haven't watched the video yet -- I usually wait until I can binge-watch 2 or 3 at a time -- but I think he wrote somewhere that he's working on some Halloween-related videos for October and he at least managed in writing to sound passionate about those, so here's hoping. AFAIR one video will be about some adventure game and another about some jank game. We'll see.

edit. Maybe the games were horror-related and not Halloween-related per se? Eh, tomato, tomato.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I thought Civvie stuck with FPS games. Then again, some rail shooters and adventure games almost fall into that genre.

There's Gmanlives I watch at times. One I like that is infrequent is Accursed Farms. I enjoyed the freeman vids and the game dungeon.

Riskbreaker

I thought Civvie stuck with FPS games. Then again, some rail shooters and adventure games almost fall into that genre.

There's Gmanlives I watch at times. One I like that is infrequent is Accursed Farms. I enjoyed the freeman vids and the game dungeon.
I guess it could be something like Realms of the Haunting which is pretty much a FPS/point & click adventure hybrid. Or perhaps Silverload which had short shooting sections in its PSX port/reimagining.
Both of those would fit his channel and go with the halloween theme.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Fuck it, I dug up that post of his I referred to earlier. Unfortunately he's sounding less excited than I remembered but decide for yourselves:

SEP 12, 2021 AT 6:39 PM
HALF-LIFE: OPPOSING FORCE/BLUE SHIFT - ENTER THE GREASE
Fuck it, let's do some more Half-Life!

Opposing Force was a blast to make a video for and Blue Shift was so goddamned boring I spent half of that segment doing whatever, you know? I know there aren't constant Randy jokes but honestly I don't know which levels he worked on so it's more difficult to bring him up.

I'm trying to squeeze in one more video before October when I've got a couple of interesting games lined up for spooky season, a point-and-click horror game AND a horror FPS that has been hanging around my Steam library for a while because I figured I'd have to do a video on it. I haven't actually played it so that could be fun. Or not? I hear it's jank.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I guess he doesn't play mods. Maybe he's just lazy... collects to patreon $$$ and lazily puts out a vid here and there. The passion is gone. Dunno.
Maybe not for Half-Life? He did play Death Wish for Blood and recently Alien World Order.
Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you think he might choose those? I don't recall any references to WRF's work, but admittedly I haven't seen every video he's put out. I want to say the Hugo series is as good a suggestion, but the first three aren't PnCs, and arguably not horror. And there doesn't seem to be any implication they're related.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The action i guess. I guess I assume some gunplay based on the pic with chick holding a pistol.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

He do but has tried not to review any, to not get flooded with recommendations, which do nothing anyway since he blocked few keywords (like "when") on his twatter nest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom