Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ATOM RPG: Trudograd - standalone expansion sequel to ATOM RPG

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Atomboy
I couldn't resist and so far, there's some minor glitches but nothing too bad.

Minor/I don't care bugs:
  • Sometimes, you get through unlocked closed doors, happened 2/3 times in the starting inn and regularly afterward, not that i mind.
  • Also, the cleaning lady animation got stuck when i opened her room's door, she crossed the whole corridor while looking like she was levitating/flying on her broom.
Slightly annoying
  • Sometimes, the radial menu gets stuck in the inventory, while unloading a gun while trading, for example, happened 2/3 times already, exiting and re-entering the inventory fixes it.

New features ?
  • Would be nice to be able to navigate with arrows on the map screen (not the worldmap, just the regular map)
  • More info about where to find back NPC after solving their quest would be great, the blob quest from the scrapyard, for example, I probably skipped through their dialog and missed it and after killing the blobs, i have no idea where to find the couple who gave me the quest as they disappeared after opening the door.
  • I don't like the radial menu very much, fallout right click was way easier to use, in Trudograd, the "use" button often is out of the screen when the container is already close to the border of the screen, it's a shame the use button doesn't appear lower or that there isn't any way (arrows) to move up/down, or maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.
For everyone else, don't believe NPC lies!

Hey, i have a small problem with some goons, care to give me a hand? Well, 10 guys show up, armed to the teeth, you run or you're dead.
Hey, there is a dangerous beast roaming the village at night... Found the cave, there's dozens of them and they're on the mean side...
Hey, there is some aspics in my house (thought they were common snakes) ... They're blobs and they're bullet sponges...

I like the difficult combat, early on at least, i guess the power armor is the god mode.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Doesn't seem to have sold very well, hope I'm wrong though. Didn't even get a single ad for it on Steam.

Not even a little surprised. Came out within a few weeks of Pathfinder & Encased. So you are already throwing other niche games in the same genre out in the marketplace and you are last in line.

And even more relevant, nobody plays this shit. We are a comically small minority. You average gamer of today is a complete fucking retard sub 85 IQ button masher. Graphics first, gameplay second (maybe). Story? What's that... It is the way of things, a microcosm of the larger societal degradation.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Atomboy
I couldn't resist and so far, there's some minor glitches but nothing too bad.

Minor/I don't care bugs:
  • Sometimes, you get through unlocked closed doors, happened 2/3 times in the starting inn and regularly afterward, not that i mind.
  • Also, the cleaning lady animation got stuck when i opened her room's door, she crossed the whole corridor while looking like she was levitating/flying on her broom.
Slightly annoying
  • Sometimes, the radial menu gets stuck in the inventory, while unloading a gun while trading, for example, happened 2/3 times already, exiting and re-entering the inventory fixes it.

New features ?
  • Would be nice to be able to navigate with arrows on the map screen (not the worldmap, just the regular map)
  • More info about where to find back NPC after solving their quest would be great, the blob quest from the scrapyard, for example, I probably skipped through their dialog and missed it and after killing the blobs, i have no idea where to find the couple who gave me the quest as they disappeared after opening the door.
  • I don't like the radial menu very much, fallout right click was way easier to use, in Trudograd, the "use" button often is out of the screen when the container is already close to the border of the screen, it's a shame the use button doesn't appear lower or that there isn't any way (arrows) to move up/down, or maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.
For everyone else, don't believe NPC lies!

Hey, i have a small problem with some goons, care to give me a hand? Well, 10 guys show up, armed to the teeth, you run or you're dead.
Hey, there is a dangerous beast roaming the village at night... Found the cave, there's dozens of them and they're on the mean side...
Hey, there is some aspics in my house (thought they were common snakes) ... They're blobs and they're bullet sponges...

I like the difficult combat, early on at least, i guess the power armor is the god mode.
Noted! Cleaning lady is an old bug, sucks that it still returns in some cases, gonna take a look at the doors, and we're compiling a doc of UI suggestions.
But on the aspic family people - they just go to live at their neighbours until you find them again and tell them it's all over. We'll make it more understandable soon, add a few lines that tell "we're going to stay across the street while you're at it" or something. They await patiently!
But the beast rumor I think you got confused? They probably mean the graveyard yeti, who's one of a kind and doesn't hurt you. I'll do a check!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
But the beast rumor I think you got confused? They probably mean the graveyard yeti, who's one of a kind and doesn't hurt you. I'll do a check!

Don't bother, you're certainly right and I like it anyway when it turns that way (harder than it's supposed to) as opposed to Wasteland's 2 giant robot scorpion you can kill in one turn...

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Doesn't seem to have sold very well, hope I'm wrong though. Didn't even get a single ad for it on Steam.
It didn't make us rich or even middle class, but we're really happy, it's enough to continue our work as it is for up to a year now. We even made a sorry attempt to market our game this time, and while it had some effect, word of mouth, player recommendations and stuff like that sudden Chris Avellone retweet move the game, not the press. I'm starting to suspect there's some gatekeeping thing for our kind of games in the reeally big press.
They could have picked a better moment to release it, but it's worth pointing out that many of us bought it ages ago already. I'm holding for a while for patches, etc. before joining in on the fun. Encased left me a bit burnt out.
Eh, we don't regret it. Just like sacrificing game length for graphical, gameplay and writing improvements with Trudograd it wasn't commercially viable at all, but dude, standing our ground in the middle of an RPG storm of epic proportions, shoulder to shoulder with huge projects from big studios and large publishers & marketing campaigns, yet managing to at least keep our tiny niche and get some new players gave us morale and determination money couldn't buy. Money is terribly important, but so is this. It's a balancing act. And next time we'll prolly balance to the side of maximizing revenue, but this time all went well enough!

Not even a little surprised. Came out within a few weeks of Pathfinder & Encased. So you are already throwing other niche games in the same genre out in the marketplace and you are last in line.

And even more relevant, nobody plays this shit. We are a comically small minority. You average gamer of today is a complete fucking retard sub 85 IQ button masher. Graphics first, gameplay second (maybe). Story? What's that... It is the way of things, a microcosm of the larger societal degradation.
I sort of think like that from time to time, but sometimes I get proven wrong. We survived the launch and then some, for one. Plus, anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence, but I've answered my share of emails sent by younglings who enjoyed our kind of game. The Zoomers are gonna make cRPGs dominant again!
Probably not, though! But I feel like the interest to the genre is growing again, at least to the polished games in the genre. 250000 sales for Pathfinder don't lie! I'm feeling
clear.png
optimistic.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I have the highest survival skill on a follower, the bonuses still apply while travelling the map?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm starting to suspect there's some gatekeeping thing for our kind of games in the reeally big press.

Fuck those losers, having them (((review))) your game would be patronising at best, and at worst a derogation of our glorious slavic masterpiece. Better to rely on word of mouth from monocled gentlemen with taste, comrade. :obviously:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I'm starting to suspect there's some gatekeeping thing for our kind of games in the reeally big press.

Fuck those losers, having them (((review))) your game would be patronising at best, and at worst a derogation of our glorious slavic masterpiece. Better to rely on word of mouth from monocled gentlemen with taste, comrade. :obviously:
Yeah, that can be true. When I imagine an MSM review of ATOM, I always get flashbacks to this one youtube video where BBC radio hosts reviewed Limmy's book and the host wanted to praise it, but he was so posh that he phrased the compliment to sound kinda like "Well... In a way... It seems like the author has an intellect... Of sorts... Good for him!" it sounded like he was trying to complement something so damn far beneath him & was cringe :[ Having a cringy review would suck. But word of mouth is almost always fair and welcome, since it comes from the heart and all that.

jackofshadows

Magister
By the way I'm curious how the armor's camouflage actually works. I just had a random encounter and spawned far from the enemies just like if I'd have high sneak (and my sneak is 10 in the armor, camouflage don't change the modificator). I wonder whether it's intended.
Yes, apparently it's exactly what camouflage does: gives sneak advantage at random encounters. In other words, the last trade-off of PA was gone. First it was quite high fuel consumtion rate and huge dodge penalty meant exposure to crit damage (not anymore as you can see). And now you can sneak up on enemies in it as well. Not to mention immunity to toxins/cold and other bonuses.

redivider

Novice
There is a huge bug in survival mode.
After playing the game for quite a while, I quit ofc using the main menu because the text tells you that in survival mode the game saves when exiting to the menu (even though you still get a msg "If you exit now unsaved data will be lost, really exit?" so probably this msg should be after an *If game mode = survival, dont show this msgbox* kinda code block) So I still quit to main menu because idk how else to save. The game seemed to save fine after playing it again the next day. However i noticed something: almost all areas I already visited were marked with ? as if i have not discovered them yet, and surely the game actually kinda reset. When I get to outskirts again, the game played the into sequence again and my char was again waking up from bed in all his current gear lol, in the closet was a brand new copy of newb gear like key, sks, and the tutorial started again. But the quests seem to be okay at least some? For instance there was no owner but his wife was there cuz I had that quest. Also the time teleported back to like 0AM 12/3 or what the start date is i think. However i think the police join quest got bugged, i did all 3 quests and theres no way to progress it seems talking to the commander gives no new options? Also it was just super weird basically talking to people as if you have not talked to them before but then you could still finish the quest because the log still had the previous quests.
Seems like a serious save bug related to survival mode. Daily reminder why ironman mode sucks usually because of these technical issues, but oh well you play with fire you get burnt.
For any to-be players I suggest waiting a bit more before doing a playthrough guys, however the game is deffo very worth it as was the previous one.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
There is a huge bug in survival mode.
After playing the game for quite a while, I quit ofc using the main menu because the text tells you that in survival mode the game saves when exiting to the menu (even though you still get a msg "If you exit now unsaved data will be lost, really exit?" so probably this msg should be after an *If game mode = survival, dont show this msgbox* kinda code block) So I still quit to main menu because idk how else to save. The game seemed to save fine after playing it again the next day. However i noticed something: almost all areas I already visited were marked with ? as if i have not discovered them yet, and surely the game actually kinda reset. When I get to outskirts again, the game played the into sequence again and my char was again waking up from bed in all his current gear lol, in the closet was a brand new copy of newb gear like key, sks, and the tutorial started again. But the quests seem to be okay at least some? For instance there was no owner but his wife was there cuz I had that quest. Also the time teleported back to like 0AM 12/3 or what the start date is i think. However i think the police join quest got bugged, i did all 3 quests and theres no way to progress it seems talking to the commander gives no new options? Also it was just super weird basically talking to people as if you have not talked to them before but then you could still finish the quest because the log still had the previous quests.
Seems like a serious save bug related to survival mode. Daily reminder why ironman mode sucks usually because of these technical issues, but oh well you play with fire you get burnt.
For any to-be players I suggest waiting a bit more before doing a playthrough guys, however the game is deffo very worth it as was the previous one.
Chatted with the QA guys, they state that this issue still happens in ATOM RPG, despite no known bug being connected to it. It has long since been theorized that this is the fault of something else on the user's PC that messes with the process of changing the values inside a save file. The only few times we could replicate this issue in-house was when we purposefully ran the game alongside outdated antiviruses such as AVG, Mcaffee etc they botched save writing as it commenced but did not issue reports because "understood" that it's not in fact a virus seconds later, but the damage was already done. So you have those?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
By the way I'm curious how the armor's camouflage actually works. I just had a random encounter and spawned far from the enemies just like if I'd have high sneak (and my sneak is 10 in the armor, camouflage don't change the modificator). I wonder whether it's intended.
Yes, apparently it's exactly what camouflage does: gives sneak advantage at random encounters. In other words, the last trade-off of PA was gone. First it was quite high fuel consumtion rate and huge dodge penalty meant exposure to crit damage (not anymore as you can see). And now you can sneak up on enemies in it as well. Not to mention immunity to toxins/cold and other bonuses.
Hi! No! In the same talk I had with QA they showed me that camo for PA indeed has NO value added to stealth, it's just to make PA look pretty. It's empty inside. How close or far you spawn does not involve your PA or camo. Just a skin

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, that can be true. When I imagine an MSM review of ATOM, I always get flashbacks to this one youtube video where BBC radio hosts reviewed Limmy's book and the host wanted to praise it, but he was so posh that he phrased the compliment to sound kinda like "Well... In a way... It seems like the author has an intellect... Of sorts... Good for him!" it sounded like he was trying to complement something so damn far beneath him & was cringe :[ Having a cringy review would suck. But word of mouth is almost always fair and welcome, since it comes from the heart and all that.

please don't ever read the codex review of the first game then.

Tosiek363

Novice
Hey, congrats on the launch Atomboy. But I have a question. Does the game have russian voice over or only english. If it have one can we play with english subtitles and russian voice over?

jackofshadows

Magister
Hi! No! In the same talk I had with QA they showed me that camo for PA indeed has NO value added to stealth, it's just to make PA look pretty. It's empty inside. How close or far you spawn does not involve your PA or camo. Just a skin
Then a) you're telling me that the armor guys sells "just a skin" for ~13k rubles too? b) RE enemies can spawn anywhere even when sneak is at minimum and you pressed "fight" on the global map? (it's been a while since I've played TG with char w/o sneak at all).

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Then a) you're telling me that the armor guys sells "just a skin" for ~13k rubles too? b) RE enemies can spawn anywhere even when sneak is at minimum and you pressed "fight" on the global map? (it's been a while since I've played TG with char w/o sneak at all).
Yes and no. Yes the thing the guy is selling is a skin that changes the looks of the thing. That item doesn't even have a stealth value!
And no to the second part. I said that the power armor skins do not offer stealth. But stealth itself plays the following roles in random encounters:
- How far is the farthest and how close is the closest you can possibly spawn from the enemies;
- Inner enemy leader type (more than a few skills have minor influence on this; e.g. if your melee is high there is a bigger chance a shield guy spawns inside enemy group, if your stealth is high there is a bigger chance a melee fighter or a long range shooter spawns in the group).
- Who gets to move first if encounter starts in combat.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

please don't ever read the codex review of the first game then.
But I liked that review :((( It was very in-depth on the usually ignored side of the game!!!
Hey, congrats on the launch Atomboy. But I have a question. Does the game have russian voice over or only english. If it have one can we play with english subtitles and russian voice over?
We do have both VO! We'd never go with only one! However such language settings are absent. I'll ask around whether smth like that would be easy to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom