Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Compared to Fallout 1/2, Baldurs gate 1/2 are utter tripe

honko

Educated
Compared to Fallout 1/2, Baldurs gate 1/2 are utter tripe

I have recently been attempting to replay the utter tripe known as baldurs gate. Most people know my RPG credentials, and most people have read my very successful discussion thread about how terrible morrowind is. So when I say something as fact, you can trust me. In baldurs gate 1/2, the encounter design is so dire. I felt as though I was in the midlands digging through trash. Every encounter seemed tailors to wasting my time rather then being interesting or difficult. Fallout 1/2 are are course not without some filler combat, however the game is focused on roleplaying and most combat encounters, are enjoyable. In baldurs gate however, the vast majority of the game is spent fighting cretins such as kolbolds, hobgoblins, or in the second game lizard people and piss easy golems.

The writing quality in the Baldurs gate games is also quite daft. It is as though the game is meant to speak to a 12 year old on a power fantasy. Rather then an intelligent games, who fallout clearly addresses. The companions in baldurs gate also also infantile and silly. If you met a man such a minsc in real life, at least in civillized parts this 'man' would be committed to an asylum. Baldurs gate is also a pioneer in video game romances, which I'm sure the ultra virgin crowd is a great fan of. I however specialize in romance in real life. As such I do not need to compensate for a lack of sex life, because I in fact have quite a lot.

To conclude, the writing and encounter design is Baldurs gate is extremely porous compared to an utter classic such as Fallout, or system shock. On the whole I rate baldurs gate slightly above Morrowind, as it is at least better and more intellectually inclined then that.

If anyone would like to imagine some merits for Baldurs gate and defend this 'game', please do so as I am open for debate as long as it is sufficiently intelligent and civillized.

dacencora

yhcXUe4.png

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Most people know my RPG credentials, and most people have read my very successful discussion thread about how terrible morrowind is.

28 posts in 6 years dude. Meanwhile there's people here who probably told me to go fuck myself last week and I don't remember who they are. There's a lot of posters on the Codex. Unless you've got a cool or funny username I won't remember you.

Lurker47

Savant
I feel like I'm the rare person to prefer Baldur's Gate to Fallout despite preferring sci-fi to fantasy and turn-based to real-time-with-pause.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I agree that Baldurs Gate 2 is kind of bad, but Baldur's Gate 1 is definitely worthy of all the praise is much much better game than its sequel.

Shaki

Arbiter
Truth. If BG1 would be released today, Codex would fucking hate it. BG2 would do a little better, but not by a lot.

I replayed both recently, and I still liked them, but realized it's purely because of my nostalgia. Objectively, they have shitty and incredibly easy combat with dumbest AI ever, extremely limited character building, shitty itemization, shitty writing. The only good thing you can find in them, is dungeon design, BG1 has 1 cool dungeon, and BG2 couple more. Also visuals are cool, some maps still look beautiful even in 2021. But other than that, all other parts of those games are bad to mediocre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom