Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Stay away from DOM until you are comfortable with the game's systems. Don't listen to our beloved nutjobs around here on the difficulty. A lot of us have played the game for thousands of hours, and forget how it was in the beginning. A strong build alone won't save you.

Pickpocketing is really one of the least useful skills on any difficulty other than DOM.
I remember Jasede not only went on DOM for his first playthrough, but with his own build... throwing only. He did good up to some point but then so happens it were his very last posts on this forum. It couldn't be related, right? Just a coincidence.

The pain becomes increasingly intense as the moments pass. Your face and your hands become numb, and inside – only pain. You look up at the the game's difficulty setting, it’s DOMINATING for your first playthrough. In desperation your hand reaches for Throwing. You have to savescum or think about re-rolling and admit you were wrong all this time you boasted that DOMINATING should be the definitive experience for a new player and that meta gaming is for faggots, there is no other way. The vision ends abruptly and you find yourself back in the real world. Collapsed on your knees, tears running down your face, you are screaming at the RPGCodex and Stygian Software forums. You take a deep breath and compose yourself. Maybe what you saw was only a vision, but the pain was real.

Trashos

Arcane
The chemical pistol start is a bit rough. It makes sense because it is a versatility build, and those take a while to get rolling. So I am not judging it yet.

I am at a point when I have to start doing the major quests. What is the quickest way to get the Advanced Catalyzing Belt? Either Cornell or Oculus? Does anything fail (eg, Rail Crossing) if the first one I do is Cornell?
(I will probably get to Oculus first, though. Much easier.)

Trashos

Arcane
I get a fucking mugger where I least expect him at least once per playthrough. Last playthrough it was on the level that leads to Core City underpassages, close to the underpassage exit. That's an important spot, because that's the quick way to Rail Crossing, and he is right in your path. We were both in stealth and we collided (LOL), but luckily I won initiative. I hadn't seen this guy for a loooong time. He shouldn't be in the game, btw, this can easily be a death for no fucking reason.

This playthrough a psi(!) mugger attacked me right after I killed the gang 2 screens west of the elevator on the merchant level of Core City. First time I see this one. In the first round he stunned me, in the 2nd round he went pyrokinetic stream. Luckily I wasn't wearing the regalia, and I survived with just a few points of health.

Anyway, as expected, the fun started as soon as I found the advanced catalyzing belt. I found it at Old Jonas' at lvl17. I am now lvl21 and Constantine still has never offered it (I have unlocked tier II gear too). At some point I also found it as loot in some Core City room. I am guessing that it was probably random loot.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I still remember that crossbower on level with old man near pot on fire, who has compass, it's where old wold booze oddity.
Got shock bolt and aimed shot lmao, like 4 years ago. It would be a particular pain at ironman.
Or those two - basher+sniper lmao, both in stealth.

Trashos

Arcane
Comments on many systems that I have used seriously for the first time in this playthrough:

Caltrops: You know those players who claim that caltrops are fucking amazing? They are fucking right. They make a lot of fights easier.

Sure Step feat: Great feat. Yeah, if you are wearing boots you don't need it, but mobile builds don't want to be wearing boots. Awesome for caltrops or chemical pistol users.

Vanishing Powder Grenade: Not the grenade we deserve, but the grenade we need. My current build is not fully silent, so I usually use this grenade when I attract neighboring groups of enemies that I didn't mean to. Its existence in the game is kind of unfortunate, but it is what it is. Maybe I will graduate to not using it at some point.

Ambush: Fucking awesome feat and system! It is systems like this that give Underrail its legendary status. It is a bit bugged with the Ambush status flickering under certain conditions, but still it is an awesome system. Too bad it is a bit too situational to build characters completely around it, I 'd be all over that shit. (yes, I use molotovs, and I also have my incendiary pistol)

Ambush vs Survival Insticts:
SI is stronger (with less health, though), because it always works, but Ambush is way more fun. Unfortunately. I couldn't combine them both in my current build. Now, sometimes you expect that you may get hit and you don't want to be low health, so maybe SI doesn't "always work" after all. Generally, I think Ambush+Aimed Shot is a legit choice over SI for weapons that are not very fast.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Ambush: Fucking awesome feat and system! It is systems like this that give Underrail its legendary status. It is a bit bugged with the Ambush status flickering under certain conditions, but still it is an awesome system. Too bad it is a bit too situational to build characters completely around it, I 'd be all over that shit. (yes, I use molotovs, and I also have my incendiary pistol)
use staff of darkness in offhand

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Do any of you have the meme inviting the player to adventure near that crawler infested area of the subways where you meet the anarchs?

Hate that place with all my soul.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
vu3kke1dlnc51.png

You mean this one? Oh yeah, a nice place.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've made some experiment. Dusted of a PC from 2008, which had E8400, HD4850 and 4GB of RAM, installed win 10 x64, and installed underrail. And to my surprise motherfucker just works! I wonder how low you can go while still running Underrail.

jdinatale

Cipher
I can't complete the kidnap Sarine quest. I got the quest from the Rathound King to kidnap her, and I let her pet out so she leaves camp. I go to where she is and try to throw a flashbang at her. This incapacitates her, but when I end combat, I'm only given the option to shoot her. How do I kidnap her?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I can't complete the kidnap Sarine quest. I got the quest from the Rathound King to kidnap her, and I let her pet out so she leaves camp. I go to where she is and try to throw a flashbang at her. This incapacitates her, but when I end combat, I'm only given the option to shoot her. How do I kidnap her?
Taser I think.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist

Or tranq bolt.

Press space instead of enter. If you end combat the script where she becomes permanently stunned doesn't trigger. If you end your turn then it works fine.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
What the hell man. Today I learned that
you can become a mutant through the mutie questline
. Really surprised I'm still learning shit about this game after 200 hours. Will most likely do it after the last update drops.

As of now I'm still doing my crossbow traps build on DOMINATING, the fun factor is 10x better than a psiker build, the sound of my bear trap setting off is something I'll never get tired of. A bit worried for Expeditions since even on Normal it was a hard feat doing some dungeons, but from what I read so far, bio armor is god.

jackofshadows I will tell you one thing though: I feel like not getting Aimed Shot for early game is a waste, it is true that you will never use it later on in the game, but until you manage to get a constant influx of elemental bolts, this feat is a life saver and makes the early game a breeze, especially with the 15% from Opportunistic Attack.

Here's a list that I find pretty good for this build:

EDIT: got Opportunist at level 2 or 3 instead of where it is on the list.
unknown.png

jackofshadows

Magister
I will tell you one thing though: I feel like not getting Aimed Shot for early game is a waste, it is true that you will never use it later on in the game, but until you manage to get a constant influx of elemental bolts, this feat is a life saver and makes the early game a breeze, especially with the 15% from Opportunistic Attack.
Getting a constant influx of elemental bolts isn't hard at all once you get to Junkyard. Until then it's pretty easy to ram through with just traps and molotovs. No reason to waste a feat, much better to take recklessness or blindsiding instead for example. I assume you have also decided to drop TM which means to gimp yourself - but that's your choice, man.

Unrelated: looks like underrail.info is dead :(

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Ive found some guys near Old Jonas, Kyl and Diedrick, helped them fend off bandits, got some keycard, but the doors are not working. Anyone have idea if that's WAD?

I never managed to get that dungeon encounter since it's a waterways update, but I do know however that you meet them later. Junkyard or Core city outside a shop, can't remember.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Why do people complain about backtracking in this game? It always baffled me. It's not like in most annoying games where backtracking results just in a waste of time and you end up doing nothing.
I always saw backtracking in UD as some sort of reconnaissance before going balls deep in a situation. Like when I had to clear the West Wing I got rid of all the muties but there was another room with lunatics, didn't feel ready to face yet another room full of enemies having a clear sight of me, so I went back to shop for more traps, get better equipment... Hell, I think I came back to clear that room a level or two later in the game. As for backtracking in travel and exploration before drinking the juice. Well I mean, the exploration was always a big part of this game, it was so good in fact, that the movement speed never bothered.

jackofshadows

Magister
This game is sure able to frustrate people. And when people are frustrated, they tend to complain and this is usually one of the first thing that comes to their mind I presume. There're also hoarders against which this game has some measures so they "have to" backtrack a lot in order to store/sell shit.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I can see how backtracking can be frustrating. We know the game from inside out, so we know how to optimize our routing/questing, but imagine you are playing first time. Imagine doing the spectre murder quest. You can use rail and teleport now, so it's not a problem -it was a problem maybe in the earliest beta where you didnt have fast travel.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
never minded it, I've always felt it to be an opportunity to run into random encounters

still haven't personally experienced all of them, especially the upper underrail ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom