Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Robber Baron

Savant
5n8gec-1.jpg

110 hours later finished Drezen, 10 hours in Drezen itself

No rests, no npc casualties, lots of save scumming and petty restarts, LOVED IT
Can see myself hitting a wall on Core at some point seeing how pushed I was at times here
Most trouble - with the summoned demon, had to kill him only after activating the -4 flag debuff, because otherwise he killed half of the party, didn't even know there would be that helpfull debuff was just hoping to find some scrolls or pots since I was running empty on everything
Went all out on Stanton and Mihago with most of my pally's and Nenio's heavy hitters saved and still the best I could do after 2 hours of tries is a victory with only 3 party members left alive after some lucky rolls
Really loved Stanton's character, I hope Aeon lets you give him a second chance
Everything was great so far, aside from bootleg HoMM minigame

Lambach

Arcane
I'd say there's a difference between wanting to be and making a more interesting story.
I don't find roleplaying as what is effectively fantasy superman to be very interesting or fun.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Playing a Fantasy Superman is indeed completely uninteresting, which is what certain settings provide (*cough-Pathfinder-cough*)

But OTOH, playing an ordinary person who just happens to be stranded in a super-ordinary situation and yet makes it through despite everything seems illogical and dumb, and I don't understand the appeal of that either. I would certainly not want to play that.

Like gurugeorge says, it's all mostly about escapism, and if I'm to "escape" to a different world far more dangerous than our own, I would want my character to be far superior to myself in many ways. Otherwise, I can't suspend my disbelief that this character would actually survive, let alone thrive, in such a world.

Many of the games on the codex's top 101(top 10 of those especially so) are about individuals who aren't particularly special.

Hoo, they are very much special. They start out weak, as is RPG tradition, but they rise above their rank far more quickly than they have any in-world reason to.

Bloodlines is probably the best example, as it's based on an actual PnP-game. A several-nights old Fledgling takes on a several-century old Vampire Elder in single combat and defeats him. That defies every single bit of logic in the cannon lore and can only be explained only by either "it's a video-game, who gives a shit" or "Caine is powering you up, ergo you're special". Either way, you're being given special treatment.

Planescape: Torment? - Can you be any more special than someone who died over a thousand times and kept coming back? And you're responsible for committing a crime so awful a hundred, a thousand lifetimes ago that it threatens to tear the very Planes asunder?

Fallout 1/2 - OK, you're kind of a nobody in 1, but already in 2, you're the descendant of your famous progenitor from 1, making you pretty special.

Arcanum? - You're a reincarnation of a god, or so it is believed.

Deus Ex? - You're the specially produced, most expensive bio-weapon ever put together by any international organization, ever. Hell yeah, you're motherfucking special.

Etc. etc.

Thonius

Arcane
Mothefuckers and their 2 stage battles.... wtf is this stauton bullshit? Combined witht the fucking charge issues and pathfinding I'm gonna fucking rocket away!
The one time I almost bit him I died because game DECIDED THAT IS SMART TO unmount me during second stage.... fuck you gaem!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Welly well wellington, my fedora friend, sorcs and spontaneous casters suck to begin with compared to stategic and classical vancian casters like wizards and now witches as well.

In PnP they do. But in video-games, in which there are only ever a small handful of actually useful spells-per-level + the fact you can Save and Load game at will? I honestly don't understand the point of playing a Wizard (unless, of course, for specific LARP purposes). Even in both Baldur's Gate SCS, Sorcerers reign supreme over Wizards because in video-game format, there really are only small handful of spells per level that are actually useful.

In general, casters just suck for like 10 levels, through some of the most difficult parts of the game, because difficulty does jack shit against enemy spell resistance and immunities, and demons have ton of it. And then, they begin to just throw all this immune to everything (bosses are even immune to level drain, what is this, sawyerism? i demand bg back!) and high hp resurrecting demons. I swear, it is a game totally skewed against casters, and made for Haplos and their improved improved criticals doing 30000 damage per crit.

Oh, Christ. :negative:

I'll do a Haplo-style build in 1 out 3-4 of my playthroughs of a game, but if a fucking D&D-based game won't let me be a god-among-men magic blaster, I really don't think I want to bother.

Kingmaker wasn't 100% caster-friendly to begin with, with all the HP bloat and sky-high Saves, but what you're describing sounds even worse. A D&D party in which the focused Arcane caster isn't the most powerful member just feels.... wrong.
Don't forget instant metamagic without rods as SORC. It's really more manageable than wizard.
And cast spell as full round action? No thanks, I'll keep wizard metamagic.

Codex Year of the Donut
Planescape: Torment? - Can you be any more special than someone who died over a thousand times and kept coming back? And you're responsible for committing a crime so awful a hundred, a thousand lifetimes ago that it threatens to tear the very Planes asunder?
That was my entire point. The game isn't about you being a special badass -- which it could have easily done, it's about discovering your past. It's not a power fantasy because it's not about the power.

That was my entire point. The game isn't about you being a special badass -- which it could have easily done, it's about discovering your past. It's not a power fantasy because it's not about the power.
Thank you anon! You are a good anon! You are power anon from love of mommy wife anon! It is true anon! It is! It is mommy wife love story anon! It is! You are a good anon!

FriendlyMerchant

Thank you anon! You are a good anon! You are power anon from love of mommy wife anon! It is true anon! It is! It is mommy wife love story anon! It is! You are a good anon!

Areelu is perfect.

Lambach

Arcane

But it is in a way. A very large chunk of the game is focused on your very special badass ability of being able to get up and keep walking after being killed. Hell, there are certain points is which you have an actual Quest Objective to kill yourself - knowing that this will bring you closer to your goal.

"Discovering your past" is something any one of us here, in real life, can do through various normal methods. Putting that in a video-game (or any role-playing game in general) would make it tremendously boring without including an extra element to the story. And that extra element in this particular case happens to be the fact that your character is, indeed, a special badass that just can't die, no matter how many times he's killed.

And just to point out again, because it seems you don't understand what I'm saying, I did not claim that every interesting story or role-play has to be a power fantasy. Quite the opposite. I said that making something into a power fantasy is the quickest and easiest way to try and create an interesting story/role-play, but it's also the cheapest and laziest (and is therefore often not interesting).

But on the other side, you can't have your characters be "ordinary" either, because ordinary is fucking boring. We all deal with ordinary people all our lives, so when it comes to entertainment and escapism, we want something else. I sure as shit don't want to play myself in a PnP session, I don't want to play myself in a video-game, I don't want to watch myself in a movie/TV-show and I don't want to read about myself in a book. Same goes for all other ordinary people I know.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorin's Recommended Party Members based on the best alignment for your Mythic Path:

(aka Sorin's Autism in full display/ this is me having to think and I want to write down my thoughts somewhere)

1. Angel = LG
  • Seelah
  • Camellia (to be kept in party until full, then discard, unless you have ways to cast Bark Skin, then discard immediately)
  • Lann
  • Ember
  • Sosiel
  • Trever (?!?)
Aditional Notes: This path seems to be lacking in DPS (on pure classes), early game. May need MC to be martial class with emphasis on DEX, due to Trickery needed. W.I.P.
2. Gold Dragon = NG
  • Seelah
  • Camellia (same as Angel)
  • Ember
  • Nenio
  • Sosiel
  • Greybor
  • Trever (?!?)
Aditional Notes: This path clearly lacks DPS and Trickery, on pure classes. Martial class w/ high DEX for Trickery highly advisable. W.I.P.

3. Azata = CG
  • Camellia (same as above)
  • Woljif
  • Ember
  • Sosiel
  • Arueshalae
  • Trever
4. Devil = LE
  • Camellia (same as above)
  • Lann
  • Wenduag (preferably to keep Lann, since he might have to go Judge, and game will probably keep Wenduag as Fighter. W.I.P.)
  • Daeran
  • Regill :obviously:
Aditional Notes: This party seems oddly small. May be that there are other companions this writer does not know of. Also limited access to Bark Skin and Mage Armour may require "creative builds". W.I.P.

5. Demon = CE
  • Camellia (permanent role, for once!)
  • Wenduag
  • Woljif
  • Daeran
  • Arueshalae
Aditional Notes: Aru needs to be persuaded to stay. If one can stomach Sosiel, Trever may be persuaded to join party. This writer is unaware if one can kick Sosiel, but not Trever. Surprisingly well-balanced party, for a bunch of nutjobs!)

6. Legend / Swarm / TN
This one holds the most questions, due to actually having the most options.
  • Camellia (until full party, then kick)
  • Lann
  • Wenduag
  • Woljif
  • Ember
  • Nenio
  • Daeran
  • Sosiel
  • Greybor
  • Trever (?!?)
Notes: This path comes with the highest amount of potential companions, which this writer suspects it is because some may leave at one point or another, or because Swarm path may alienate some of them. Unsure. These may be the most time-consuming paths to figure out in detail.
However they come with an complete array of skills and one will be HIGHLY versatile.

7. Trickster = CN
The star of the show!

• Camellia (can be kept permanently!)
  • Woljif
  • Nenio
  • Greybor
  • Arueshalae
  • Trever (?!?)
Notez: If dat boi Sosiel can bugger off and just leave Trever, that's awesome. If not... improvise. Or don't care.

Didn't type out anything for Aeon (LN) and Lich (NE), because I've already thought things out.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't want any of you banned, but going by post content and the reason given why Des was banned you would think posting the anon stuff would get you on the ban-list. I really dislike his banning, I didn't see eye to eye with him always, but what is Codex if spergs can't sperg? Only selective spergs allowed I guess?

And this is especially odd since he actually sperg about the damn game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom