Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Ventidius

Arbiter
I remember being interested in Nayuta back in the day. IIRC the game did get a fan translation, but there was no PC version, just PSP. I'll be keeping an eye on that, since it's apparently a canonical part of the setting and Falcom do Action RPGs well.

Gotta give it to Falcom, they've been really enterprising about bringing their games, even the more obscure ones, to a lot of different platforms. I hope more Japanese developers follow their example.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Ventidius

Arbiter
One thing about Trails into Reverie that's got me curious is its structure. Apparently, the main campaign will alternate between three main squads/parties (Rean's, Lloyd's, and C's), and apart from that, there will also be some side stories where you play as some of the other characters from the franchise. I presume these side chapters will take place in between the main ones.

Seems rather ambitious. Both CS3 and CS4 experimented with different ways of juggling a large cast, with different results. It's interesting to see that they will continue to tinker with this concept, as it became a considerable draw of the games for me, and it was very effective when it worked properly. It didn't always work properly, to be sure, but hopefully they have a feel for what works and what doesn't by now. The main issue is balancing cast coverage with a meaningful sense of progression (though some QoL elements like equipment and quartz management also come into play).

Either way, I'm looking forward to the game.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
All that charjumping and overload of characters did't work in steel and probably won't work in new gaem. Smaller cast of chars is more wholesome because they get more time to develop.

Ysaye

Arbiter
One thing about Trails into Reverie that's got me curious is its structure. Apparently, the main campaign will alternate between three main squads/parties (Rean's, Lloyd's, and C's), and apart from that, there will also be some side stories where you play as some of the other characters from the franchise. I presume these side chapters will take place in between the main ones.

Seems rather ambitious. Both CS3 and CS4 experimented with different ways of juggling a large cast, with different results. It's interesting to see that they will continue to tinker with this concept, as it became a considerable draw of the games for me, and it was very effective when it worked properly. It didn't always work properly, to be sure, but hopefully they have a feel for what works and what doesn't by now. The main issue is balancing cast coverage with a meaningful sense of progression (though some QoL elements like equipment and quartz management also come into play).

Either way, I'm looking forward to the game.

Getting into the "why" of it would invoke massive plot spoilers, but basically structurally or design-wise they were going for the next version of Trails in the Sky The Third with elements like the Sun / Moon / Star Doors covering the past, present and future and it being a much more linear experience. Many of the main characters that are in Kuro No Kiseki are first seen (often in still imagery) with introduction stories linking them into the series.

Like The Third, a large cast can be selected from for a range of sections; in addition to nearly all the characters from past games being playable, there are some brand new playable characters and some characters that were not playable before but are as part of this game (again that is far as I can go without massive spoilers).

Duraframe300

Arcane
I remember being interested in Nayuta back in the day. IIRC the game did get a fan translation, but there was no PC version, just PSP. I'll be keeping an eye on that, since it's apparently a canonical part of the setting and Falcom do Action RPGs well.

Gotta give it to Falcom, they've been really enterprising about bringing their games, even the more obscure ones, to a lot of different platforms. I hope more Japanese developers follow their example.

It's not

and even if its retconned to be in it there's nothing you really gain out of Nayuta for trails story. Calling the few refrences ingame flimsy would be optimistic. Just play it for what it is.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://nichegamer.com/2021/09/19/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-opening-movie/

the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-09-19-21-1.jpg

Falcom has shared the new The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki opening movie, showing off the game’s cast and its theme song.

Featured in the new The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki opening movie is the theme song “The End of the Nameless Nightmare,” performed by Falcom’s in-house band, the Falcom jdk BAND.

Here’s the new opening movie:

Here’s a rundown on the game:

A completely new title in the series to commemorate Nihon Falcom’s 40th anniversary!

The “Trajectory” series of story RPGs has received high praise for its character portrayal and epic storyline. The story RPG “Trajectory” series has received high praise for its character portrayal and epic storyline, and has sold over 5.5 million copies in total.

With a completely new setting and characters, the second half of the series is set to begin! The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Dawn”, a commemorative title for the 40th anniversary of Nihon Falcom, will be released as a PlayStation 4 title on September 30, 2021.

All-new characters and setting! A new story will unfold with the backstage solver (Spriggan) as the main character! The story takes place in the Republic of Calvados, in the eastern part of the Zemuria continent, which has not been revealed in the previous games in the series. The story is set in the eastern part of the Zemuria continent, the Republic of Calvado, which has never been revealed in the series.

Features

• A new “trajectory” story will be depicted with new characters.
  • Seamless “Trajectory” series battles have evolved! The graphics have been enhanced with the new engine.
  • The graphics have been enhanced with the use of a new engine, and the system has evolved and developed to seamlessly switch from field battles to command-type battles.
  • Evolution and development! In addition to making field movement and battles more enjoyable, the new graphics are enhanced by the use of Nihon Falcom’s unique new engine.
  • In addition to making field movement and battles more enjoyable, the game’s graphics have been greatly enhanced through the use of a new proprietary engine.
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki is launching for PlayStation 4 on September 30th in Japan.

Jinn

Arcane
I can't wait for Kuro. So excited. Every time I see new information about it, I have to force myself to look away so as to avoid getting too hyped up. 2023-2024 can't come soon enough :negative:

Sarathiour

Cipher
It's not supposed to be a sword, but some sort of long taser thing, and end looking quite like one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
3d movie instead of 2d animation
black haired shit with sword. but at least he looks edgy instead of depressed rean. not that it helps
some darK robot suit.
blonde canon love interest, but everyone would try to romance elf girl from computer instead.

it's an edgier steel.

bring back isometry and sprites.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
3d movie instead of 2d animation
black haired shit with sword. but at least he looks edgy instead of depressed rean. not that it helps
some darK robot suit.
blonde canon love interest, but everyone would try to romance elf girl from computer instead.

it's an edgier steel.

bring back isometry and sprites.

Stop playing Trails games. You're never going to be happy with them again.

Jinn

Arcane
There's a lot of flaws to be found in the Cold Steel series, but after completing Cold Steel 4, I can say without a doubt I regret none of my ~300 hours with the games. I really love them, and feel that the subsequent entries coming in the near future are going to be even better. I'm a big fan of most of the "classic" games too, but I don't begrudge a series for continuing to change, even if it has some growing pains in the process, especially if it stays as consistently good as this one.

Now if I were someone who didn't like the Cold Steel games and put that much time into them, that'd just make me insane. So stop being insane and torturing yourself if you really don't like the games.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You nice fellas are from some parallel reality or something? "Speak urself ur opinion enjoy for what it is" could it be it is not I who am faithless here?

Anyway, completely missed there is also some high school building in trailer, which makes me even more suspicious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom