Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Naharcito

Novice
It
I started playing this two weeks ago after getting bored as fuck with Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm enjoying so far the game, but I just failed 102 attacks in a row with bless, inspire courage from Linzi and I want to ask a question: is the RNG of this game just crap or am I missing something?

The enemy in question had 26 AC. My most buffed warrior (Amiri) was attacking with +13 and the least buffed was attacking with +6. I didn't even hit my target once in 21 rounds of combat. Is this like that the whole game?
What enemy was this?

It was a doomspider on the Bald Hilltop. I'm really asking out of curiosity: I DM a lot of DnD in real life and I never saw this kind of RNG in a table nor in a videogame. I know very well the rules of the game, so I was observing in awe how this monster was killing my entire party. I had plenty of resources, though: I didn't use them because, in all honesty, I thought that I didn't need anything else besides the usual bless, enlarge, rage to kill a 26 AC monster. Also the doomspider chewed through my Valerie's 28 AC. That's why I came to ask: it was just bad luck or is the RNG this unfair all along the game?

Rieser

Scholar
I started playing this two weeks ago after getting bored as fuck with Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm enjoying so far the game, but I just failed 102 attacks in a row with bless, inspire courage from Linzi and I want to ask a question: is the RNG of this game just crap or am I missing something?

The enemy in question had 26 AC. My most buffed warrior (Amiri) was attacking with +13 and the least buffed was attacking with +6. I didn't even hit my target once in 21 rounds of combat. Is this like that the whole game?

A) you're wrong about the numbers B) you've missed an enemy buff/immunity C) it's a bug

Pick one. Either way the answer to your question is "no". The RNG always seemed fair to me.

Naharcito

Novice

A) you're wrong about the numbers B) you've missed an enemy buff/immunity C) it's a bug

Pick one. Either way the answer to your question is "no". The RNG always seemed fair to me.

I'm sure it's not A because of what I said to the other poster, so it must be that I didn't check properly the information about the monster. Maybe I was getting some kind of disadvantage on the rolls or whatever I didn't saw in the logs, because it just makes no sense.

Naharcito

Novice
Maybe I was getting some kind of disadvantage on the rolls or whatever I didn't saw in the logs, because it just makes no sense.
Could you please post the screenshot of the combat log and the monster information card?

I'm afraid not, because I closed the game and went to attend IRL obligations. I will try again tonight and check thoroughly. The monster was this one: https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Doomspider

ferratilis

Magister
Does anyone know what Avellone's contribution to this game is specifically? He's listed as a writer, but so far I haven't seen anything that seemed even remotely "Avellonian." You know, like conversations with Dakkon, Kreia, or Durance. This game's companions seem flat as a pancake, in comparison. I'm not shitting on the story, I was just wondering.

ferratilis

Magister
Nok-Nok is indeed a great companion, both in terms of damage he does and how funny he is. My guess was that Avellone wrote either Harrim (a depressed cleric sounds like something Avellone would write) or those two tiefling sisters (because of their mysterious background), but still neither seemed like anything he has written before. First time you talk to Durance or Grieving Mother in PoE you can see they were penned by him from a mile away.

I'm never removing Nok-Nok from my party. :cool:

Naharcito

Novice
Maybe I was getting some kind of disadvantage on the rolls or whatever I didn't saw in the logs, because it just makes no sense.
Could you please post the screenshot of the combat log and the monster information card?

I'm afraid not, because I closed the game and went to attend IRL obligations. I will try again tonight and check thoroughly. The monster was this one: https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Doomspider

I beat the encounter easily now. I guess I just had the proverbial stroke of bad luck where you just get the 0.0012% result of the year. Thanks anyway!

ferratilis

Magister
This game could really use a search function. Deadfire had one, and I don't remember seeing nearly as many scrolls/potions in that game as in this one.

aIGORKO.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sorting isn't all that great of a solution because scroll icons are pretty terrible.
However, it does allow to group potions, scrolls, wands and other consumables together. And even list them according to some ranking.
it uses alphabetical sorting, which isn't all that great. Idk about the english version, but in Russian the naming is janky.

Like, the firebombs are named "alchemical fire", and because of that they are always on top, while acid vials are always at the end of a list. Similar thing with regular and greater scrolls - for example, "Heroism" and "Heroism, greater" are far away from each other for some reason.

ferratilis

Magister
I also don't use scrolls or potions like 90% of the time, but when I actually want to use Remove Curse or Restoration, it's a nightmare to find it. You have to hover over each one to see what it is. Granted, some of those icons are descriptive enough, but most aren't. Sorting doesn't really help that much.

In general, I'm surprised how many steps forward in the genre Kingmaker made, in terms of quality-of-life features, but then they just ignored certain things, or maybe didn't even care in the first place. The UI is amazing, a lot of things can be tweaked, selling junk to vendors is convenient, level up screen is really well done, journal as well. Just the UI design alone helps to understand some of the mechanics for someone not familiar with Pathfinder system. But on the other hand, there are no hotkeys to swap weapon sets or toggle stealth in 2021, wtf?!, there isn't even a basic option to toggle between AI presets. I'm not asking for much, just let me toggle aggressive/defensive/hold ground etc. so it's not a binary system where the companions either run into combat like morons or just stand there. Encumbrance system is something that shouldn't be in modern cRPGs imo, but some people get their pitchfork out when you say that, because they care about immersion. Maybe I'm too nitpicky, but these features are very useful.

kangaxx

Arbiter
My experience with this kind of system is mostly limited to DnD 2E and a very small amount of 5E (not TT, only CRPGs). I had never played Pathfinder in my life.

So you can imagine the "fun" when I realised I needed diamond dust to cast Restoration and I was stuck in a tomb full of level-hungry trash mobs. I also then noticed how few restoration scrolls I'd acquired before that point... I had about 40 Cat's Grace ones though, and something like 20 invisibility potions. Great.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I use all consumables at every step, because I know developers are afraid bad players would run out, and put thousands of them everywhere.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I use all consumables at every step, because I know developers are afraid bad players would run out, and put thousands of them everywhere.

I need to re-learn this lesson. It was drilled into me during my teenage SS2 on Impossible runs to conserve everything, and usually it just isn't necessary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom