Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Some people get filtered by a game so they give it a bad review, happens all the time with journos. Stranger of the sword city is an amazing game and probably Experience's best game. Labyrinth of yomi is coming to the west soon, it's very similar to stranger of the sword city, so you should check it out.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Stranger Of Sword City Revisited is excellent
I'm sorry but you liked Heroes of the Broken Land and Labyrinth of Lost Souls so you have 0 credibility, nice try.

WNx-Ovjo-custom.png

Gregz

Arcane
What's the deal with the Stranger of Sword City? It has a "best of the best" ★ recommendation but the SoSW/SoSCR pack on Steam has mixed rating. Is the port bad, did they somehow fucked up the revisited update?

I can't speak for the "revisited update" (haven't played it), but the game version before that was excellent.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Yeah, stories of coming of age are really toxic, you should be able to act without accountability forever! It's good that the west got rid of them.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Ummm, that's a hard no from me. I stopped watching cartoons like this around 10 or something.
That's not even Stranger of Sword City so your "no" isn't worth much, are you seeking attention by criticizing games you never played?

You must be pretty shallow to judge a game by its artstyle, guess you didn't play Labyrinth of Touhou either.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ummm, that's a hard no from me. I stopped watching cartoons like this around 10 or something.

That's jRPGs for you. Great mechanically but most of them are anime.

It's like a restaurant where you got the most perfectly aged, juicy, marbled steak but the chef took a giant runny dump on each and every one of them.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I personally didn't like Sword City all that much. Primarily because it features the easiest random encounters I have ever seen. It is logistically impossible to die against 90%+ of fights you encounter, no matter what you do. The enemies do pathetic damage. The few harder fights you are meant to run from or muscle through.

It has pretty decent layouts, but it takes too long to get the kiddy gloves off. That leads to some pretty silly stuff, like using spinners in a dungeon part where the automap is enabled.

It is at its core however fairly straight Wizardry. You got your fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard analogues and a few elite classes. Some well known like samurai and valkyrie, some more exotic like clocker. You roll for stats, then choose class. You have the same attributes and combat is all about AC, to hit and amount of attacks.

It also has all off the stuff you want for a mapping challenge. Spinners, dark zones, stuff that turns the automap off, teleporters, etc...

Rincewind Sword City actually features two different graphic sets, because the original game had much grittier art, and they made it more animu in later ports. You can toggle them. So while I wouldn't recommend Sword City personally for gameplay gripes the graphics is not really a reason to skip it, as the grittier artset is pretty decent.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's not even Stranger of Sword City so your "no" isn't worth much, are you seeking attention by criticizing games you never played?

You must be pretty shallow to judge a game by its artstyle, guess you didn't play Labyrinth of Touhou either.

Screenshot from the Steam page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/...hire_Wings__Stranger_of_Sword_City_Revisited/

Yeah, I get massively turned off by sexualized furry children wielding swords larger then their bodies, I must be pretty shallow, agreed.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's like a restaurant where you got the most perfectly aged, juicy, marbled steak but the chef took a giant runny dump on each and every one of them.

Good analogy bro. Yeah, I find the whole anime thing creepy as fuck.

Codex Year of the Donut

I can deal with some of the less weeby, more western-inspired jRPGs but the weeb ones are just way too much for me. And the more weeby they get, the creepier they get.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I personally didn't like Sword City all that much.
Well, it doesn't sound too good from what you described. Why did you give it a star then? It can't be both mediocre and best-of-the-best. I find easy blobbers offensive so it's a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can deal with some of the less weeby, more western-inspired jRPGs but the weeb ones are just way too much for me. And the more weeby they get, the creepier they get.

Yeah I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII back in the day, and that's about my limit.

Btw, what is that little barrel thing doing on the animu girl on the left? Is she LARPing a Saint Bernard Rescue dog or something? WTF???

3O0isAW.png

mondblut

Arcane
That's jRPGs for you. Great mechanically

What?

At best, they copy Proving Grounds mechanics wholesale, down to spells called COKK and SHEEIT. At worst, it's a rabbit hole of ludicrous inanity no sane person would willingly submerge into.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Yeah, stories of coming of age are really toxic, you should be able to act without accountability forever! It's good that the west got rid of them.

The stories of coming of age are only good for those coming of age.

Once you did come of age, these stories make you cringe and think, "god, was I really as retarded as these dumbfucks?".

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The stories of coming of age are only good for those coming of age.

Once you did come of age, these stories make you cringe and think, "god, was I really as retarded as these dumbfucks?".

Yeah, and I have to add I personally find it a bit disturbing when people older than 12-14 or so are super into animu (like that's their main focus of "interest"). Especially when we're talking about 30+ guys...

mondblut

Arcane
Yeah, and I have to add I personally find it a bit disturbing when people older than 12-14 or so are super into animu (like that's their main focus of "interest"). Especially when we're talking about 30+ guys...

The word "manchildren" is there for a reason.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I personally didn't like Sword City all that much.
Well, it doesn't sound too good from what you described. Why did you give it a star then? It can't be both mediocre and best-of-the-best. I find easy blobbers offensive so it's a deal breaker.

I can recognise that some people are into blobbers for a different reason than me.
Personally I play blobbers primarily for the ressource management and the feedback loop, of delving deeper and deeper into the dungeon on each run, taking care as to not to get wiped out if I delve too deep. The satisfaction from returning to base and leveling/gearing up and then getting deeper into the dungeon next time is such a primal feeling of progression.
Secondary I play them because they tend to have the best 6 niggas in a row type combat.

There are however people that genuinly do not care about combat in a blobber, and much rather have a good map layout with spinners/teleporters/darkzones. Those people tend to love Sword City.
Interestingly I find that Etrian Odyssey and Sword City are two sides of a coin. The ones who play blobbers for a similar reason than me love EO and have disdain for Sword City, while the ones who play for the dungeoneering love Sword City and have disdain for EO.
As a matter of fairness I gave both series a star. My bias for my own preferred style already crept in as I kept every single other game by the Sword City developer Experience Inc from being on the list, except Operation Babel which I flaired disputed.

Also Sword City is objectively Experience Inc's best game available in English, so that counts for something. It didn't land in full weeb because of the alternate gritty artset, and because I know that Gregz likes the game a lot. Which surprises me a bit, as Gregz hates anime.
Given that I know of Sword and Sorcery Underworld and Erranorth Reborn (card game) due to him, I value his opinion, even if we tend to have differing ones at times.

By the way, the Steam entry for the old version of Sword City has almost only pictures from the old gritty artstyle:

A few of the player characters are mixed from both artstyles as the game allows you to do that, but enemies and NPCs are in the gritty setting. That Anna character you see on the one screenshot is as weeb as Sword City goes on that setting. The trailer there is old and made for the gritty style aswell.
ehP8qZC.jpg
consider this the weeb high water mark for Sword City on second artstyle
I can't help anyone interested over version differences tho, as I have no passion for the game I never cared to delve if the more expensive versions are worth the extra dinero they want.

Last edited:

Rarre

Educated
PLz recommend me the best blobber to begin with. An user of this forum recommended me "Lands of Lore", I have very little time a day to play games so I want the opinion of some other users to start a game.
I only need one or two post to decide for a game I see no reason the start a new post for this subject...
Thanks great post!

PD: Tried Legend of Grimrock and did't like It for some reason.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PLz recommend me the best blobber to begin with. An user of this forum recommended me "Lands of Lore", I have very little time a day to play games so I want the opinion of some other users to start a game.
I only need one or two post to decide for a game I see no reason the start a new post for this subject...
Thanks great post!
Do u like puzzles? If so then Legend of Grimrock 2.
Do u like TB combat? Might and Magic X.
Are u ok with playing old games with 1990s graphics? Lands of Lore, MM 6/7, Betrayal at Krondor. All fantastic baby's first blobbers.

mondblut

Arcane

M&M World of Xeen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom