Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Codex Year of the Donut
Took me 5 seconds to find plenty of people who hit the same exact bug.
https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6aa4rz/all_i_want_to_do_is_finish_prey_but_the_save_bug/

Seems like a whole lot of people actually playing the game hit it, but not many critics. HMMM, time to apply some critical thinking skills.
You faggots are the reason games are released completely broken, reviewers give them 10/10 BEST GAME EVAR!!!! and shit just keeps getting worse.

They updated the review within days, yet you guys can't get that cock out of your mouth 4 years later.

A horse of course

1. released broken and yet tons of us played it at release and had no such problem? The game felt incomplete in that the latter third was fucking boring and balance was fucked, yet very few had a buggy time.
2. There are always bugs. In any software more complex than pong. A game "journalist" should understand this.
3. 4 out of 10 for one bug, even if a show stopper, is completely unfair. There is a whole game behind that one bug. If the bug was present for everyone such a low score would make sense, but he was well aware this bug was not widespread. Furthermore it is also the age of the digital patch, so once again it doesn't make sense to condemn it for eternity. 4/10 essentially means the game is irredeemable.

1. RPG Codex has an active userbase of about twenty people, this thread about five. Not a reasonable sample. I'm not sure why you're still pushing this argument when Arkane themselves admitted the bug was known and easily reproducible.
2. Meaningless.
3. Once again you ignore the fact he delayed the review multiple times, and updated it once the beta patch was released. Metacritic is not his responsiblity any more than people losing jobs due to bad sales is his responsiblity.

As usual, this thread is a reminder that g*mers get exactly what they deserve.

Ash

Arcane
You faggots are the reason games are released completely broken, reviewers give them 10/10 BEST GAME EVAR!!!! and shit just keeps getting worse.

That's not what we're saying. Obviously a game-breaking bug should come with harsh penalty, but 4/10 again simply means irredeemable.

Codex Year of the Donut
codex:
wow can you believe game reviewers just give bethesda games 10/10 all the time despite its bugs

*reviewer actually gives a bethesda published game a ding for being buggy and can't be completed*

codex:
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!

kangaxx

Arbiter
https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6aa4rz/all_i_want_to_do_is_finish_prey_but_the_save_bug/

Seems like a whole lot of people actually playing the game hit it, but not many critics. HMMM, time to apply some critical thinking skills.

They updated the review within days, yet you guys can't get that cock out of your mouth 4 years later.

19 upvotes you total spanner.

Ash

Arcane
There is a middle ground. Prey did not deserve 4/10 and no TES game ever deserved a 10. Especially not Shitrim

Even 5/10 for Prey: bugged yet soon to be fixed edition would make a whole lot more sense.

Codex Year of the Donut

19 upvotes you total spanner.
https://www.google.com/search?q=may+2017+prey+save+game+corruption

https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1334600128972405469/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1327844097132986264/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1334600128973633146/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1327844097125163298/

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/prey-pc-save-corrupting-bug/

Codex Year of the Donut
There is a middle ground. Prey did not deserve 4/10 and no TES game ever deserved a 10. Especially not Shitrim

Even 5/10 for Prey: bugged yet soon to be fixed edition would make a whole lot more sense.
10/10: can't complete the game but a game reviewer's job is apparently to appease fanboys

there, they would have been like the other 41 reviewers who probably only played 5 hours of the game before writing a review in 15 minutes

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Save corrupting bugs are the epitome of shitty inexcusable bugs really, that's one thing you can't let developers/publishers get away with in this age of day 1 patches and months of bug fixes post release. A bug like that should never be able to even make it out of beta. Whether or not the game should be scored so lowly after the same people are shitting 10/10s out of their ass for games with thousands more bugs (but less gamebreaking ones) is just a matter of analysing the principles of the reviewer (oh my god I loved it when gamebryo spazzed out for the 1000th time and the enemy stretched across the map and made my game run at 5fps for a whole 20 minutes, that was SO funny, 10/10!) Games journalism is a cancerous and poisoned industry and has been since the mid 00's so who really cares in the end anyway.

I played and completed Prey on launch and thankfully didn't encounter it, but I can imagine the ire that someone who did would hold for the game and its developers after getting immersed in it.

Ash

Arcane
3. Once again you ignore the fact he delayed the review multiple times, and updated it once the beta patch was released. Metacritic is not his responsiblity any more than people losing jobs due to bad sales is his responsiblity.

Hmm, yes I have been ignoring that. Fair point. Shitty that the Metacritic cannot be updated to reflect it, and there still should be some penalty for it being encountered in the first place. 4/10 still seems harsh relative to how game journos score other games though (trash garbage junk I love it and have no standards, 10/10!)

If it were this bug encountered in Call of Duty 20 or Assassin's Creed 9, would it still be dealt the same severe penalty? They don't dare bite the hand that feeds.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
10/10: can't complete the game but a game reviewer's job is apparently to appease fanboys

there, they would have been like the other 41 reviewers who probably only played 5 hours of the game before writing a review in 15 minutes

This is a reductive way of looking at it. We know these people talk to each other - why not drop a message in GameJournoPros to ask if anyone else had the same bug? When 41 others say "no", maybe don't base the entire score around it, or wait.

Look - I agree that devs need to make sure their game works. However I think in this case this idiot went nuclear and it was unwarranted. It's not so much "fanboyism" as being annoyed because low sales = less chance of this kind of game being made in the future. That in my book is worth quite a lot, given the shit state of games in general and lack of fun, emergent titles coming out.

Sincere apologies for calling you a retard, but the POE avatar pushed me over the edge.

Ash

Arcane
It's not so much "fanboyism" as being annoyed because low sales = less chance of this kind of game being made in the future. That in my book is worth quite a lot, given the shit state of games in general and lack of fun, emergent titles coming out.

I don't really care about that. Immersive Sim is dead and has been for approx. two decades in my eyes. It pisses me off because they rate total shit high. Prey is far from amazing but it isn't bottom of the barrel regressive mindless shit. Who the fuck would rate Gears of War 9.4/10 and yet rate Prey 4/10? So by this metric Prey would be 15/10 if it didn't have that one bug?

Codex Year of the Donut
He pushed the review release back multiple times and worked directly with the developers to get past it.
Why do you guys insist on making me defend IGN? Do you think I take pleasure in this?

This is a reductive way of looking at it. We know these people talk to each other - why not drop a message in GameJournoPros to ask if anyone else had the same bug? When 41 others say "no", maybe don't base the entire score around it, or wait.
It's a critic's job to provide a review of their experience of the game. Not the experience of someone else, not the experience you might have.

and if there was any doubt as to who should get the blame for this, they could have just told him a patch fixing it was about to go live but he had no idea of when it would be fixed after a week of delaying

Codex Year of the Donut
It's not so much "fanboyism" as being annoyed because low sales = less chance of this kind of game being made in the future. That in my book is worth quite a lot, given the shit state of games in general and lack of fun, emergent titles coming out.

I don't really care about that. Immersive Sim is dead and has been for approx. two decades in my eyes. It pisses me off because they rate total shit high. Prey is far from amazing but it isn't bottom of the barrel regressive mindless shit. Who the fuck would rate Gears of War 9.4/10 and yet rate Prey 4/10? So by this metric Prey would be 15/10 if it didn't have that one bug?
Akshually, the only Gears game he's reviewed is Gears Tactics and he gave it an 8/10.

He gave Wolfenstein: Young Blood a 6.5/10 tho.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If it were this bug encountered in Call of Duty 20 or Assassin's Creed 9, would it still be dealt the same severe penalty? They don't dare bite the hand that feeds.

AC Valhalla had a serious gamebreaking bug that bricks the main quest and the game. And it effected many people afaik. But as you said it was considered "minor"

Codex Year of the Donut

AC Valhalla had a serious gamebreaking bug that bricks the main quest and the game. And it effected many people afaik. But as you said it was considered "minor"
This bug?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/03/16/ac-valhalla-bug/
Five months after the game’s launch
:dead:

sure glad no reviewers gave them a shit score for it

Ash

Arcane
^see, some kind of double standard, or just that one IGN reviewer is the sole journo with some degree of standards in the whole industry, who knows.

Akshually, the only Gears game he's reviewed is Gears Tactics and he gave it an 8/10.

He gave Wolfenstein: Young Blood a 6.5/10 tho.

Yes I was referring to IGN and its individual journos as one entity, which is perhaps also unfair. I just consider it all one big blob of shit that rarely ever gets it remotely right.

Codex Year of the Donut
And it's clear the only real issue here is metacritic. Their policy was obviously designed for movies/TV shows, not video games.

Ash

Arcane
for real? only issue when a double standard was just brought to light above? Nah, video game journalists and their retarded reviews and bribe-taking are certainly another issue.

kangaxx

Arbiter
And it's clear the only real issue here is metacritic. Their policy was obviously designed for movies/TV shows, not video games.

It's definitely an issue (that whole website is AIDS), but not the only real issue IMO.

Going back to the whole print media era, I bet he'd have delayed his review if he'd had the same problem back then. "Print lasts" etc. I remember PC Zone doing that on a couple of occasions so as to review the game "as meant". Many people are stupid and actually listen to IGN, so I'm willing to bet the review cost quite a few sales.

Codex Year of the Donut
so I'm willing to bet the review cost quite a few sales.
That should be something they never think about when pushing out a review. It's not their job to sell games for a developer, reviews shouldn't be their marketing material.

You're acting like a mean ol' game reviewer was bullying the tiny indie developer. When Prey released, Arkane was owned by Zenimax Media, worth billions of dollars(About $7.5 billion, if we go by how much Microsoft paid to buy them a couple years later.) No, I'm not going to bust out my violin for them.

kangaxx

Arbiter
That should be something they never think about when pushing out a review. It's not their job to sell games for a developer, reviews shouldn't be their marketing material.

I'm not suggesting making the review "marketing material", christ you argue like a SJW... or my Mrs.

I'm suggesting when giving a game 4/10 you have a responsibility to check whether the technical issues you're basing the score on are common. These people, for better or worse, have a disproportionate amount of power over the state of the gaming industry. I don't see why you think this is so controversial.

Codex Year of the Donut

I'm not suggesting making the review "marketing material", christ you argue like a SJW... or my Mrs.

I'm suggesting when giving a game 4/10 you have a responsibility to check whether the technical issues you're basing the score on are common. These people, for better or worse, have a disproportionate amount of power over the state of the gaming industry. I don't see why you think this is so controversial.
So you'd be happier right now if a reviewer did not in fact report the save game corruption bug and score their review accordingly for a game that released with bugs that would erase dozens of hours of progress?
You're happy with the reviews AC: Valhalla got, that still has gamebreaking bugs to this day?

I'm sorry the multi-billion dollar company couldn't afford to hire QA, but it's not the reviewer's fault.

Ash

Arcane
He's right. You do argue like a woman. Why would you jump to those mad conclusions? WHY? This can only mean...Guys we found a chick on the 'dex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom