Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PLz recommend me the best blobber to begin with. An user of this forum recommended me "Lands of Lore", I have very little time a day to play games so I want the opinion of some other users to start a game.
I only need one or two post to decide for a game I see no reason the start a new post for this subject...
Thanks great post!

PD: Tried Legend of Grimrock and did't like It for some reason.

If you like exploration and puzzles and don't mind (or even like) real-time combat, you can't go wrong with Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder. The graphics and sound hold up very well too.

mondblut

Arcane
If you like exploration and puzzles and don't mind (or even like) real-time combat, you can't go wrong with Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder. The graphics and sound hold up very well too.

If he didn't like Grimrock, liking Dungeon Master is unlikely. EOB might get a pass over AD&D roots maybe.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

If he didn't like Grimrock, liking Dungeon Master is unlikely. EOB might get a pass over AD&D roots maybe.

Yeah, I just realised after I hit send, my bad... Clearly, I'm quite fond of EoB :)

V_K

Arcane
PLz recommend me the best blobber to begin with. An user of this forum recommended me "Lands of Lore", I have very little time a day to play games so I want the opinion of some other users to start a game.
LoL is very pretty but very shallow.
I'd say Wizards&Warriors, if you don't don't mind spending some time getting it to run on a modern system. Its character system and combat are more accessible than late Wizardries but still fairly deep, and it has some of the best dungeon design in any RPG.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just a reminder, we're talking here about an accessible starting blobber for someone likely young, judging from the post. Plus the ability to play 1990s vidya with a 320x240 resolution doesn't come as naturally to the youngsters as it does to decrepit oldfags like us.

Rarre

Educated
Thank you guys!! Will check the games and try one. More games are welcome.

:)

Rarre

Educated
Just a reminder, we're talking here about an accessible starting blobber for someone likely young, judging from the post. Plus the ability to play 1990s vidya with a 320x280 resolution doesn't come as naturally to the youngsters as it does to decrepit oldfags like us.

Yes, graphics are not a problem, but unfriendly interface could be, but old boring game mechanics can ruin a game for me. The new games I try are the most boring so I am looking for older ones and wanted to try blobbers.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Just a reminder, we're talking here about an accessible starting blobber for someone likely young, judging from the post. Plus the ability to play 1990s vidya with a 320x240 resolution doesn't come as naturally to the youngsters as it does to decrepit oldfags like us.

Graphics don't matter as long as the art style is good. A good art style can always carry low resolutions. That is something that Cleve will never learn with Grimoire.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only need one or two post to decide for a game I see no reason the start a new post for this subject...
Thanks great post!
Do u like puzzles? If so then Legend of Grimrock 2.
Do u like TB combat? Might and Magic X.
Are u ok with playing old games with 1990s graphics? Lands of Lore, MM 6/7, Betrayal at Krondor. All fantastic baby's first blobbers.

I agree with this post, but did Ubisoft ever fix the M&M X blocked progression due to them removing the online server the game calls for authorisation? If not then it's looking a bit thin for TB recent blobbers without going JRPG.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just a reminder, we're talking here about an accessible starting blobber for someone likely young, judging from the post. Plus the ability to play 1990s vidya with a 320x280 resolution doesn't come as naturally to the youngsters as it does to decrepit oldfags like us.

Yes, graphics are not a problem, but unfriendly interface could be, but old boring game mechanics can ruin a game for me. The new games I try are the most boring so I am looking for older ones and wanted to try blobbers.

Grab Wizardry 8 then. That game got me fully into blobbers and I was desolate when I realised it was pretty much one of a kind.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks great post!

PD: Tried Legend of Grimrock and did't like It for some reason.

Might & Magic X is probably the most accessible if you never tried blobbers. It is also turn-based, which is much better than the "dancing around" in Grimrock.

Something like Wizardry or Grimoire is more complex and has a bit of a learning curve. But those are the best blobbers in my opinion, especially Wizardry 7 and Grimoire.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Interestingly I find that Etrian Odyssey and Sword City are two sides of a coin. The ones who play blobbers for a similar reason than me love EO and have disdain for Sword City, while the ones who play for the dungeoneering love Sword City and have disdain for EO.
I find it weird that some people can lean so much into either direction. For me combat and dungeoneering are inseparable.
The dungeon must be your enemy but at the same time it must be interesting enough so you want to explore and conquer it.
The same with combat, it doesn't have to be mechanically complex (bonus points if it is) but it absolutely needs to be challenging to keep you on your toes and test your party.
From what I played so far (and I admit I didn't play too many blobbers yet), only early Wizardies deliver on both fronts.

I was interested in Labyrinth of Refrain but apparently the game is pretty easy even on the highest (nightmare) difficulty setting, if SoSC has decent dungeons but easy combat then it might not exist at all to me.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

V_K

Arcane
As far as modern, pretty and accessible blobbers, there's 7 Mages - but it also might not be the best representative of the genre because of tactical, if still first-person, combat system.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I was interested in Labyrinth of Refrain but apparently the game is pretty easy even on the highest (nightmare) difficulty setting, if SoSC has decent dungeons but easy combat then it might not exist at all to me.

I do like Labyrinth of Refrain quite a lot.
It has easy combat, but you will still take losses from enemy critical hits. As such dispatching a fight faster is a real upgrade, as it lowers the amount of chances your enemies have for nasty gore crits. Furthermore healing is really limited in that game. You have a second manapool shared across the entire group, basically dungeon mana, called command points. This is the only ressource that can heal you, and you also need it for one of this games premium features. You can break down walls with it. Behind most walls is nothing, just a bunch of dirt. Behind some are pitfalls which take you to the next area, a risk to take. Behind some is hidden treasure or an entire secondary path through the dungeon. So you your preciously few healing ressources are also demanded in other ways.
The game also has pretty deep team building. You can field a ridiculous amount of fighters, about 36 or so. You do this by putting them in formations, which then act like a singular unit in battle. You can have up to five formations. The formations also have formations on their own, if you put your flank formations in the front row and the three in the middle in the back row you get a pincer formation with stat buffs for example. Add to that six classes or so and a bunch of perks, also a farily involved item synthesis system, and you are permanently improving something. Adding new fighters to understaffed formations, leveling up and unlocking new formations, swapping around formations, improving your gear, brooding over perk choices etc etc.
There are some fights in which you will actually need your spells and special combat skills, the game employs FOEs just like Etrian Odyssey. So enemy blobs which take one tile movement whenever you do, like roguelike enemies, and are miniboss fights when you bump into them. Those are nowhere near Etrian Odyssey strong, but they give you a run for your money, especially if you run into multiple. The game also rewards challenging yourself, as you can chain the xp you get from fights. You can refuse to take the xp directly after the fight, then it gets put into an xp bank of sorts. The more fights you put in there, the higher the multiplicator gets. So after you have been exploring for a while and have built up a respectable 3x multiplicator it is a really good idea to hunt down 2-3 foes to add a high amount of base xp to the bank. Then you cash out and get 5-10 levelups at once, very addictive.
Labyrinth of Refrain does also have easy combat, no two ways about it, but it brings enough other stuff to the table to keep me happy.
Especially the gameplay loop of delving deeper on every run is still there, as optimising your tanks and damage dealers means receiving less gore crits which damage body parts, which can only be healed outside of the dungeon. This somewhat replaces hard combat for the threat in dungeoneering.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Labyrinth of Refrain
This sounds like typical jrpg where you have 50 classes, 100 spells, 1000 items and complex mechanics but all that means shit since you can win almost every fight with auto attacks.
There's no point in anything you described since you can completely ignore it and still beat the game no problems even on the hardest difficulty.
Apparently it's possible to either one shot bosses with a crit or 2-3 casts of the most powerful spells, like wtf?!
Then you cash out and get 5-10 levelups at once, very addictive.
Kusoge.
There are some fights in which you will actually need your spells and special combat skills
"You sometimes need your spells and skills" - they should put it on the cover.

Seriously, few posts earlier you dissed SoSC for being too easy and now you're recommending LoR which is even easier.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
... learn to read. If you put it to hard and try to waltz through the game without thought you will get butchered in the Gullivers travels kingdom where the people are tiny, ie the second labyrinth, due to gore crits.
It is not a combatfag game but a buildfag game, the decisiomaking is in the pause menu, not in combat. That is fine with me aswell, but Sword City offers not much on both fronts.
There is a skill tree in Sword City where you buy permanent unlocks with gems, but it is not that deep.

also:

are you seeking attention by criticizing games you never played?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is not a combatfag game but a buildfag game

I don't know any of those animu games but this doesn't make any sense. Builds are only meaningful if the combat is challenging. If there's no real challenge, builds are pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom