Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love to immolate myself before opening chests on BBI btw
Experience has taught you well.

Generic-Giant-Spider

After over 100 hours I never noticed in the Dark Bishop boss room there's a jump by the entryway that you can double vault up if you have the skill unlocked to get to a higher ledge and go down some independent corridor that leads to two chests which usually have a high tier cursed item drop or rift crystal drop.

The Forgotten Hall also has two "hidden" pathways. In the room which usually has the double imprisoned gorecyclops when you go down the narrow corridor which leads to a chest/dead end you can jump up to a partially obscured by overgrowth ledge. Taking this path will directly lead to an ornate chest. If you stop midway though you can jump off into shallow water and get another chest hidden under the wooden bridge and a lore entry for the monument.

Not counting some other locations you can get to with double vaulting or clever use of a succubus taxi. I love when a game rewards the player for taking a skill like that.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I don't really think Capcom have lost interest in this IP, the ports and the animated series IMO attest to that. They have probably just been allocating resources to other ventures (they have been doing a lot of big projects in the last few years), but I don't think it's too far-fetched to think they'll revisit the franchise eventually.

Also, when franchises with a strong core following (I hesitate to call it 'cult' since DD is quite a bit more mainstream than that) go this long without a sequel they tend to build up a certain mystique, which devs and publishers have been known to exploit for marketing effect. That's why, if they were to work/are working on it, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear about it until it's almost done.

fork

Yes, and as is also often the case, they'll utilise the core audience in creating hype, and betray them at the same time by dumbing the game down beyond recognition in order to maximise profit.

I don't really think Capcom have lost interest in this IP, the ports and the animated series IMO attest to that. They have probably just been allocating resources to other ventures (they have been doing a lot of big projects in the last few years), but I don't think it's too far-fetched to think they'll revisit the franchise eventually.

Also, when franchises with a strong core following (I hesitate to call it 'cult' since DD is quite a bit more mainstream than that) go this long without a sequel they tend to build up a certain mystique, which devs and publishers have been known to exploit for marketing effect. That's why, if they were to work/are working on it, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear about it until it's almost done.

I mean we already know it's happening, and we now have two leaks saying it's a thing. That one Resident Evil leaker has said a little about it as well. It never made its way here, but they were also running the Online game for four years, so Capcom losing interest in the series isn't something to really worry about. Covid may have throw a wrench in the release dates, but at some point it was scheduled for a second quarter of next year release.

Capcom basically had two Dragon's Dogma teams. The first is the original team, which is Hideaki Itsuno's Devil May Cry team that's been doing Devil May Cry stuff since Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition; he's been doing something (presumably Dragon's Dogma 2) since DMC5 wrapped in 2019. The second team splintered off from the original team and did Dark Arisen and Dragons Dogma Online; Online also wrapped in 2019 too, so maybe they're back with Itsuno on a new Dragon's Dogma too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some people refuse to not be negative.

I finally beat the entire game just the past week, I didn't really find Death and such to be all that fun so I won't go for the Round 2 on Bitterblack Isle. I had this thought for a while but there's an annoying amount of emphasis on gearing in the game that can be the difference between a balanced fight, a cakewalk, or an item spam. I wish there were easier ways to both track down items (was there an in-game bestiary?) as well as better equipment placements so that you don't just rely on the RNG of the game to hand you a good weapon.

Otherwise, my impression is still the same. Amazing game feel, truly modern systematic combat, great atmosphere, the AI is dumb as fuck. The final boss in bitterblack is also a lot more fun than the final boss of the normal game although I'm not really too keen on the RNG of the AI of getting wiped or not. That is not to say what they did with the AI wasn't impressive but if the game had a more direct method of command (do this spell/attack, don't follow me, DON'T do this spell etc) it probably would've fared better.

But yeah, amazing game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I watched one random episode of that DD animated show and let me tell you, this show is SOME REAL SHIT.

The episode I saw had some guy who was on the verge of being cucked super hard by his wife who showed an interest in the main character after he saved her from being raped by a horde of goblins while her husband was too scared to do anything and would've sat there watching it play out otherwise. The wife tries to suck the main character's penis but he wards her off with strong Japanese stoic energy and her husband confronts her and vows to be a REAL MAN. She openly mocks him to which he takes it like a little bitch. Some time later they're ambushed again by the horny goblin horde while the main character is off fighting a griffin and the husband manages to find his balls and actually defends his wife. Their guards arrive and are like, "holy shit this pussy actually did it" and the wife is visibly turned on and in love all over again by this show of masculinity. The husband then goes like, "nobody will ever take you from me" and they go to embrace...

BUT HE FUCKING STABS HER. That's right thot, you flash your shit over town like Sharon Stone and this is what ya get. He remarks that if he can't have her, nobody can, ultra based move by all accounts. But! But then! She whispers how she always loved him and only wanted to feel protected and cherished. The husband realizes he fucked up hard and decides to KILL HIMSELF next to her. That's it. That's the episode. No happy endings on this one. I couldn't believe this was on Netflix of all places and didn't come with twenty suicide hotline recommendations and five warnings. If the show is this unfathomably fucked up then I'm all for it. Shit, I hope DD2 is this fucking gloomy.

Bruddas, I was looking around my room all bewildered while this was going on. I was that entertained.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I watched one random episode of that DD animated show and let me tell you, this show is SOME REAL SHIT.

The episode I saw had some guy who was on the verge of being cucked super hard by his wife who showed an interest in the main character after he saved her from being raped by a horde of goblins while her husband was too scared to do anything and would've sat there watching it play out otherwise. The wife tries to suck the main character's penis but he wards her off with strong Japanese stoic energy and her husband confronts her and vows to be a REAL MAN. She openly mocks him to which he takes it like a little bitch. Some time later they're ambushed again by the horny goblin horde while the main character is off fighting a griffin and the husband manages to find his balls and actually defends his wife. Their guards arrive and are like, "holy shit this pussy actually did it" and the wife is visibly turned on and in love all over again by this show of masculinity. The husband then goes like, "nobody will ever take you from me" and they go to embrace...

BUT HE FUCKING STABS HER. That's right thot, you flash your shit over town like Sharon Stone and this is what ya get. He remarks that if he can't have her, nobody can, ultra based move by all accounts. But! But then! She whispers how she always loved him and only wanted to feel protected and cherished. The husband realizes he fucked up hard and decides to KILL HIMSELF next to her. That's it. That's the episode. No happy endings on this one. I couldn't believe this was on Netflix of all places and didn't come with twenty suicide hotline recommendations and five warnings. If the show is this unfathomably fucked up then I'm all for it. Shit, I hope DD2 is this fucking gloomy.

Bruddas, I was looking around my room all bewildered while this was going on. I was that entertained.
Sounds absolutely run-of-the-mill anime man.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Someone really tried to rip off / top Goblin (s)Layer

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
final boss of the normal game a
Really feel sorry for that dude, went unarmed and unarmoured just to have a proper fight and I still took him down in three hits.
Then again my fault for playin DDDA like it's Yakuza.
Right? He has a cool ass wave shot, and he brings out his own pawn, but you just dunk on him.
Yeah, I went straight to BBI after that and didn't turn back.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Unless you don't like hard mode style stuff and the idea of two frost wyverns locking your ass down sounds like a trip to the abyss, I'd recommend doing a second run of Bitterblack if only to say you beat Awakened Daimon. First playthrough was fun enough that I went into a second one right after and only stopped when I hit some brick wall enemies and leveled up/got better stuff. Most games I'd not bother doing any of this shit and would just bounce after the credits but I had such a good time with this game I figured to keep it going.

It's more fun if you try it solo.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah, I hate Dragon's Dogma solo, especially since I didn't drink the Mystic Archer meme. There's too many annoying enemies and grapples for me to care, and a lot of the grind is just hoping for RNG which I'm not a fan of. It just ends up being the case where I'll just begin to hate the game, and I don't really want that.

Generic-Giant-Spider

There is a bit of a way to try and manipulate the RNG, make you and your pawn the vocation you're hunting gear for and it'll up the chances of finding it. It seems to draw from a certain pool of items depending on what you/your pawn are currently selected as, there's a whole chart on one of those fan wikis I used. The biggest pain in the ass is Mystic Knight since it has the largest selection and all you want is that fucking shield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom