Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Archwizard Hank

Learned
I know the meme is to hate on Crispy and I know I'm not going to win any points for saying this, but like, if it came down to terminating the site or handing it over to him I'd choose the latter

I mean seriously, fuck it, we're dealing with serious existential panic in this thread here and as much as we dunk on the staff they're at least in touch with the community's tone. If it took that much to move all operations out of Australia I'd be all for it. Fuck Australia

agris

Arcane
Patron
Now I realized why these Numenera Collector's Edition avatars haven't been implemented yet:

PWOfeyN.png
GMP603n.png
zaryPJN.png
MguBLHz.png
GeMaC1v.png
Ipx1mhT.png

They're potentially against new regulations, aren't they? Rest assured, I'll take personal legal responsibility for them, so feel free to put them into use, ok?
it still blows my mind that we have trash-tier portraits from the likes of Diablo 3 and larian/inxile swill, but these beautiful creations that capture the artistic merit of Numanuma so well are unavailable.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now I realized why these Numenera Collector's Edition avatars haven't been implemented yet:

PWOfeyN.png
GMP603n.png
zaryPJN.png
MguBLHz.png
GeMaC1v.png
Ipx1mhT.png

They're potentially against new regulations, aren't they? Rest assured, I'll take personal legal responsibility for them, so feel free to put them into use, ok?
it still blows my mind that we have trash-tier portraits from the likes of Diablo 3 and larian/inxile swill, but these beautiful creations that capture the artistic merit of Numanuma so well are unavailable.

I'm still unsure why they were not used in the final game, much higher quality than the ones InXile decided to use.

Codex Year of the Donut

PWOfeyN.png
GMP603n.png
zaryPJN.png
MguBLHz.png
GeMaC1v.png
Ipx1mhT.png

I'm still unsure why they were not used in the final game, much higher quality than the ones InXile decided to use.
Too white, perhaps.

Can't handle the bacon

Where did the idea that the cuckdex is being transferred to anyone so that it may continue to be shit even come from? The cuckdex will continue to cuck out until it is indistinguishable from plebbit and retardera. At that point, it will either die due to a lack of posting, or get a brand new slew of posters who will make threads like "This portrayal of toxic masculinity is problematic", and "Dice rolls are triggering to some people, cut it out".

Codex Year of the Donut
Where did the idea that the cuckdex is being transferred to anyone so that it may continue to be shit even come from? The cuckdex will continue to cuck out until it is indistinguishable from plebbit and retardera. At that point, it will either die due to a lack of posting, or get a brand new slew of posters who will make threads like "This portrayal of toxic masculinity is problematic", and "Dice rolls are triggering to some people, cut it out".
Is cuckdex a website you frequent often?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

and yet you always come back to it

Can't handle the bacon

I enjoy watching this place burn.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
and yes, 4chan most definitely does ban for racism outside of /b/ and perhaps /pol/

4Chan has been Reddit-lite for years now outside of certain boards, so it's not surprising. But if /b/ and /pol/ fall, then that really is the end of the line.
Yes, if you are going to 4chan instead of the better alternatives you are behind the times. Smugloli.net for /a/, zzzchan.xyz for /v/, /jp/, and /tech/, and kissu.moe for /qa/ and a shittier but more active /jp/.

I'd also like to point out there is a site with full free speech and less moderation than here. It's called Voat, which is basically a reddit clone and they do have a gaming subverse. https://www.voat.xyz/v/gaming They also have a subverse for OAG refugees in case there are some here that didn't know that.

As far as I'm concerned being able to say nigger is basically the canary in the coal mine. If this retarded filter stays permanently then it's time to move on. I will hold out for a week or two to see if they remove it and things go back to normal and if they don't I will start building a new forum to replace this one with hopes that others will join me. I may not be the best poster here and I may not have been here as long as some of the more well known users, but I'll be damned if I let the stuff I loved about this site die without a proper replacement. I spend more time here than anywhere else.

Lambach

Arcane
Guys, it's just the internet.

Grown in importance, maybe. But... God is all we need.

It's quite interesting to try and figure our what the phrase "God is all we need" means to adherents of different religions. Let's use two examples.

For C*ristians, it apparently means "We will let everyone shit on our faces all the time and never do anything about it, because muh Jebus and muh afterlife and bla bla cuck shit".

For mudslimes it means "I don't care about my worldly possessions or fate, I will gladly suffer and even die if need be in service to Allah, because a pat on the head from him is all we need, even if that means detonating ourselves in a crowded area with a bunch of kids there".

I dunno, it's just a random thought that popped into my head, but it seems to explain the overall global political and cultural situation quite well, and why one side is dying while the other is thriving.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Free speech has always been at the heart of the Codex, especially in the context of game criticism but I don't think it takes a genius to see that this doesn't imply a carte blanche on anything that would constitute hate speech, even if discussing things like the games industry pushing Black or non-heteronormative characters into everything, or the Gnomish conspiracy quest in Arcanum. Edgelords always want to push the bar all over the place.

While it's true that some of the legal liability issues could require changes, such as to some of the tags and usernames, is that really what you'd like to take the site down for? Are these sorts of tags and usernames part of the inalienable identity of RPGCodex?

I have always figured that the main identity of RPGCodex was being THE place to go for a good discussion of RPG mechanics, merits, and history even if it could be rough around the edges. As I recall, this is basically what MCA said about it back in the day. Personally, I think it's sad to think of losing that just because some users think it's more important to be able to throw around slurs like they have Tourette's and are unable to exercise even a modicum of self restraint. Whatever else you might think, the type of grognard discussions about tabletop RPGs, dungeon crawlers, the deep mechanics of the Pathfinder games (without the type of incorrect misinformation I've seen in other places), Fallout lore, obscure Sir-Tech lore, appreciation of the Gold Box games, Ultimas, and others of that era, etc. isn't really in one place anywhere else, so this isn't just another gaming site. The other gaming sites don't come close, but it's not because you don't get immediately banned for saying whatever racist, sexist, or otherwise hateful nonsense that's on the top of your head at that exact moment.

It bothers me that I even have to type this, since I had assumed that most of the other users felt the same way.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoy watching this place burn.
goodfellas-shinebox.gif

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
One option is to use an ever-increasing list of word filters. Failing that, put Andrew Anglin in charge.
Forgot to reply to this in my previous comment but Anglin actually has his own gaming forum https://gameruprising.to/index.php

It's full of the most milquetoast boomers that the alt-right has to offer and the takes there are far less hot than here. Meanwhile Voat Goats would make most users here blush. This site was a nice medium between the two.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Forgot to reply to this in my previous comment but Anglin actually has his own gaming forum https://gameruprising.to/index.php

It's full of the most milquetoast boomers that the alt-right has to offer and the takes there are far less hot than here.

Well, the takes might certainly be less 'dangerous' to ((())) than here but the tone is way too edgy even for my taste.

From a random thread opened there :

https://gameruprising.to/index.php?...e-fight-against-stigma-and-stereotypes.28195/

Yeah, but skins from fat kids are too small to make good lampshade.
Sheboon skin is actually good to work with in leather-making. Resembles elephant hide.
You may be right, she can be done to a good saddle.
Too thick and dark for lampshade though.
Yeah, too dark of a glow, the room would feel like being in a Hot-Topic at the mall. They make for excellent tents though.

This level of forced edginess is cringe as fuck. I may occasionally have said a remark or two in bad taste but this is a thread where every message is like that. I'm already tired of it before I even created an account. Just because I am friendly to certain sensibilities doesn't mean I wanna talk about the many ways to skin a black person's skin all day.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds like it's basically over then. What I don't understand though, removing GD, curtailing "free speech", so we can have our precious RPG discussions - what does that even mean?

Is it suddenly going to be a Eurogamer like forum, where it's enough to mention something negative about a woman or god forbid non-white character to get you timed-out?
well, the Eurogamer forums are shutting down, so it looks like it working really well for them

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, the takes might certainly be less 'dangerous' to ((())) than here but the tone is way too edgy even for my taste.

This level of forced edginess is cringe as fuck. I may occasionally have said a remark or two in bad taste but this is a thread where every message is like that. I'm already tired of it before I even created an account. Just because I am friendly to certain sensibilities doesn't mean I wanna talk about the many ways to skin a black person's skin all day.

:what:

Thanks for saving me the clicks. If this is what constitutes more mild, I'd hate to see what the alternatives are.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I actually haven't visited that forum in about a year and it sounds like they've gotten some way edgier users since the last time I was there. If I have the time I'll have to stop by there again because the quoted posts above gave me a good laugh. They've almost hit Voat levels of edginess if that kind of talk is common there now. I'm sure the gaming discussions are nowhere near as good as here though which is the main reason I'm on this site.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

It's full of the most milquetoast boomers that the alt-right has to offer and the takes there are far less hot than here.

From a random thread opened there :

https://gameruprising.to/index.php?...e-fight-against-stigma-and-stereotypes.28195/

Yeah, but skins from fat kids are too small to make good lampshade.
Sheboon skin is actually good to work with in leather-making. Resembles elephant hide.
You may be right, she can be done to a good saddle.
Too thick and dark for lampshade though.
Yeah, too dark of a glow, the room would feel like being in a Hot-Topic at the mall. They make for excellent tents though.

You can cherry pick any website like that. There were some here mocking no mutants allowed when there's a huge overlap in userbases between there and here and the things they mocked them for are just as common here. Someone could just quote some spergs advocating for communist chink overlords that frequent the politics forum and say that RPGCodex is completely without merit from that.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm "cherry picking" when I quote literally the first thread I ended up opening :lol: first impressions matter, this feels more like skinhead lalaland than the sort of place you'd see a person like Guillaume Faye talk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom